MLB 2022 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: MLB 2022 Season

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hernandez, now 59, sued MLB in 2017, alleging that he had been passed over for promotions and professional honors because of his race. Hernandez is a native of Cuba.
According to Hernandez's suit, Torre held a grudge against the umpire since 2001 because of a call made against the Yankees, whom Torre managed at the time.
I mean, if you're going to undercut your own case...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:31 am
malchior wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm They only showed the one pitch but his strike zone is ... everywhere and it's constantly changing. Game to game. Inning to inning. Batter to batter. He isn't a MLB caliber umpire and they need to do something about him.
The Umpires union and his history of suing the MLB for discrimination mean nothing will likely be done, other than keeping him out of the playoffs.
That's what I expect to be honest. MLB has had years to sort this out. They do seemingly have some sort of performance management methodology to fence off post-season as the lawsuit result showed. That's probably going to be the 'best' result.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:47 am
malchior wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm They only showed the one pitch but his strike zone is ... everywhere and it's constantly changing. Game to game. Inning to inning. Batter to batter. He isn't a MLB caliber umpire and they need to do something about him.
The Umpires union and his history of suing the MLB for discrimination mean nothing will likely be done, other than keeping him out of the playoffs.
That's what I expect to be honest. MLB has had years to sort this out. They do seemingly have some sort of performance management methodology to fence off post-season as the lawsuit result showed. That's probably going to be the 'best' result.
Just don't let him umpire home plate. He can screw up all the other calls. I don't even know the name of a single other umpire because the rest don't suck. :P

The Mets game yesterday was ridiculous. Down 2 runs in the 9th and they came back to win 5-2 because of craptacular fielding on the Cardinals side. Not often that you see 2 runs scored on a base hit to the first baseman. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:07 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:47 am
Just don't let him umpire home plate. He can screw up all the other calls. I don't even know the name of a single other umpire because the rest don't suck. :P
That's unfortunately not possible based on how MLB crews run. They rotate clockwise each game. It's probably impossible (or next to) to make an exception for someone for a specific position.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:24 pm Oh I can't wait for the Jomboy breakdown of that one. No way he misses that one. :lol:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Heh ya I watched it yesterday. I love his breakdowns.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:44 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:
naednek wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:55 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Who?
Angel Hernandez. History of being awful

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
He's been mentioned a time or two.
Even by El Guapo

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Oh I'm familiar with Angel Hernandez. Whenever a really egregious call is made in a game that I'm watching my first question is usually 'oh, is that Angel Hernandez'?

However Isgrimnur's previous post was blocked for me and no one else was using his name, so I could only guess who was being discussed.
Black Lives Matter.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

New York Yankees stole signs in 2015-16 and were fined $100,000 in 2017, MLB letter confirms

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you.
Major League Baseball fined the New York Yankees $100,000 in 2017 for using their replay room and dugout phone to steal their opponent’s signs during the 2015 and 2016 seasons in what commissioner Rob Manfred described as a “material violation” of rules governing the replay room.

The ruling was in a letter that Manfred sent to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman on Sept. 14, 2017.

The letter has been the subject of legal action as the Yankees tried to block its release. The letter’s revelation — a copy of which was obtained by the Chronicle and SportsNet New York — came after the 2nd US Court of Appeals last week denied to rehear an appeal from the Yankees to keep it sealed.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I haven't watched much baseball in several years, but I've tuned in to the last several Jays games and they're just beastly. It's also weird, because for the first time I'm looking at the team and they all look like kids. I guess that was bound to happen eventually as most players have retired by my age, but it's the first time I've had that experience.

Sad to hear that Buck Martinez has cancer and has taken a leave of absence to seek treatment. He and Dad Shulman are the voices of my childhood.
Last edited by Sudy on Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jays may be all kids but at least it's good baseball. Orioles are still painful to watch (though we should a couple decent kids up before this season is out).

I wasn't a fan of Buck Martinez when he was announcing for Baltimore. But he's grown on me since he's moved on. And I'd take him every day of the week over the current guy - Kevin Brown. This kid thinks he's funny/clever and he's just annoying. Ugh. Wish we had Gary Thorne back announcing. He was a riot paired with Jim Palmer.

Orioles game was so bad, I turned on the NYM/STL game. Does every team throw at the Mets' heads? Good lord, they were hit like 4(?) times? Crazy. Buck did not look pleased (but then, he rarely looks pleased). :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's a little early in the season to take a break from the Red Sox because they are blowing games but here we are. Blew a 5-2 lead in the 9th, and then in extras couldn't score a go ahead run from third with one out. And then in the bottom of the 10th the let the Jays load the bases with no outs, and you're not going to believe it but didn't make it out of that.

Looks like they're more second half 2021 Red Sox than first half 2021 Red Sox. Oh well - at least I got to enjoy the 2021 postseason.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trevor Bauer has been officially suspended 324 games by MLB. No credit for "time served" while on administrative leave.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:15 am It's a little early in the season to take a break from the Red Sox because they are blowing games but here we are. Blew a 5-2 lead in the 9th, and then in extras couldn't score a go ahead run from third with one out. And then in the bottom of the 10th the let the Jays load the bases with no outs, and you're not going to believe it but didn't make it out of that.

Looks like they're more second half 2021 Red Sox than first half 2021 Red Sox. Oh well - at least I got to enjoy the 2021 postseason.
I really hope the season turns around. We are going back to MA for the first time in over 10 years and we'll be going to the NYY/BOS game on July 7th - our first ever Yankees game. My kids are so excited to shout "Yankees Suck" that it would really be disappointing for the Sox to lose. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:31 pm Trevor Bauer has been officially suspended 324 games by MLB. No credit for "time served" while on administrative leave.
I need to read up on this more. What was he convicted of doing?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

McNutt wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:29 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:31 pm Trevor Bauer has been officially suspended 324 games by MLB. No credit for "time served" while on administrative leave.
I need to read up on this more. What was he convicted of doing?
Convicted of? Nothing.

In trouble for? Multiple sexual assault allegations.
Hodor.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I was being sarcastic. :D

I don't know how to feel about this case. He's accused of taking rough sex too far, but I'm not sure what that means. And no charges were filed.

He was also accused of physically assaulting a woman, which could mean a lot of things. Again, no charges filed.

Suspending him for two seasons seems really odd.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm guessing there's more to it than what has come out already to give him 2 years. The pictures of the California accuser are pretty brutal, after all.

That Bauer has sued The Athletic, Molly Knight (as part of The Athletic suit) and one of his accusers for defamation probably doesn't help his cause, either.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

No hitter for the Mets. They are on fire to start the season.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Don't look now nut the Angels and Padres are both in first place. I love the first month of the season!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:21 am Don't look now nut the Angels and Padres are both in first place. I love the first month of the season!
I can't look, apparently I can't get baseball anymore!
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's a few days back now but what do people think about this weird incident. The ump actually publicly apologized - probably on threat of suspension.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:08 pm It's a few days back now but what do people think about this weird incident. The ump actually publicly apologized - probably on threat of suspension.

This is so reprehensible that we need to restart the season clean.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think we should also redraft all the teams. Just to be safe.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:41 pmThis is so reprehensible that we need to restart the season clean.
Without the re-draft this seems masochistic.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's such a weird thing. He knew exactly what was going to happen as Bum is freaking nuts. He should have been suspended for a week or something.

naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:51 pm It's such a weird thing. He knew exactly what was going to happen as Bum is freaking nuts. He should have been suspended for a week or something.
Who should be suspended?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The umpire. If they suspend Bum every time he yells they might as well just kick him out of the league. :P

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:16 am The umpire. If they suspend Bum every time he yells they might as well just kick him out of the league. :P
ah ok :) I was gonna say :D
naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious, you're probably asleep already, but go watch the highlights. What crazy game
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh I watched. I'm almost not upset as it was just nuts. I couldn't peel myself away. Freaking Diaz man...

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good news, everyone. Despite their horrendous start the Red Sox are now finally over .500, at 28-27. And thanks to MLB's expanded playoffs they are currently in the third wild card spot.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fun season so far. Mets are 3-2 so far on the road trip of doom. I'm just amazed at how many hits they are getting a game. Seems like every other night they have 15+ hits. Still playing little brother to the fn Yankees. Seriously let us have time in the sun for once. I'm super terrified of a Mets Yankees WS. I can't take that kind of pain again.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At one point the Angels were 13 games over .500 and in first place. After losing about 20 straight, including the Red Sox, Maddon is out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They are facing a battered Mets team this weekend. I hope they keep their losing streak going. Mets take 2-3 from that series and I'll be a happy camper. The Braves have a cupcake schedule until around June 20th so I expect them to keep piling up the wins. The really unfair thing is that the Mets have to play the Yankees twice while the Braves don't play them at all. I mean I get why, but it's kind of shitty. :P Braves have a 4 game set against the Pirates and then the floundering Nationals. Bah

malchior

Post by malchior »

Angel Hernandez sues MLB again arguing an impossible case that he doesn't suck. He claims MLB is cooking the books against him to keep him from being a crew Chief.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:24 pm Angel Hernandez sues MLB again arguing an impossible case that he doesn't suck. He claims MLB is cooking the books against him to keep him from being a crew Chief.
Dude, keep your head down and be glad you have a job.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:24 pm Angel Hernandez sues MLB again arguing an impossible case that he doesn't suck. He claims MLB is cooking the books against him to keep him from being a crew Chief.
Wasn't he the player who beat the crap out of some fan that heckled him? Oh, wait, that was the immortal Willie Hernandez.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:28 pm
Dude, keep your head down and be glad you have a job.
His lawyers better hope that neither the judge nor any of the jurors ever google him.
Black Lives Matter.