So my daughter is now a BEE keeper (round 2)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

So my daughter is now a BEE keeper (round 2)

Post by Jaymann »

They set up the empty hive yesterday and the swarm has pretty much calmed down. It is pretty ingenious. The queen bee comes in a separate small box with a cork in it so the others won't fly away. Then you replace the cork with a marshmallow. By the time she chews her way out the hive is established.

Plus it is a fascinating display for the grandkids in their little bee suits.
Last edited by Jaymann on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Re: So my daughter is now a beekeeper

Post by dbt1949 »

Is she the queen mother?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:11 pm They set up the empty hive yesterday and the swarm has pretty much calmed down. It is pretty ingenious. The queen bee comes in a separate small box with a cork in it so the others won't fly away. Then you replace the cork with a marshmallow. By the time she chews her way out the hive is established.
Interesting, why does it have to work that way?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:20 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:11 pm They set up the empty hive yesterday and the swarm has pretty much calmed down. It is pretty ingenious. The queen bee comes in a separate small box with a cork in it so the others won't fly away. Then you replace the cork with a marshmallow. By the time she chews her way out the hive is established.
I believe if they don’t lock her in, the swarm will ‘abscond’ .
They are forcing the swarm to ‘move in’, and then the queen is greeted by a group that’s more at peace with the new hive.

I think if not, the whole crew would run.
Brian

Post by Brian »

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, no queen and they might all fly away.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Since I'm surrounded in farmland, there's plenty of people who have established a modest honey business, and the bees frequently visit my garden. My 5 year old loves them...a couple of years ago, she excitedly called me out to the yard, where she proceeded to stand next to a stand of lavender surround by 12-15 honey bees. She proceeded to tell me each one's name...

More surprising is when she later that year got stung in the face by a wasp -- and she realizes they are assholes and it has not the least bit made her timid amongst the bees, which are still her friends.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:05 pm

I didn't know the queen would fly away but would be coaxed into staying if the hive was settled. Bee keeping is a mystery to me.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So the queen stays in her bunker because she is otherwise unacceptable until it is too late to get rid of her? :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:16 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:05 pm

I didn't know the queen would fly away but would be coaxed into staying if the hive was settled. Bee keeping is a mystery to me.
I think the idea is that they catch a hive that is splitting and has swarmed, and is ‘in the moving processes’.
We artificially make the swarm think the queen has found a new spot, when in reality they are all still in ‘expand’ mode.
Enough time, and they are convinced this is the new home.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

That is so cool. I know there are several places around here with bees. I see so many local honey products at the stores.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When it comes time to harvest, that is pretty cool too. You pull out a slat that full of honeycomb, crack it open and drain it out. Then you seal it back up and reinsert.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Had a swarm travel through my back yard while I was out there. 'Twas interesting
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Plus it is a fascinating display for the grandkids in their little bee suits.
This seems like a longer post or conversation that the beginning was chopped out. I am a Beekeeper, by the way.

What everyone here is saying is kind of correct. swarm control can be done many ways and for many reasons. people have been trying new things and discussing (arguing) the 'best' way to do this for very long time.

If Jaymann's daughter bought a "package of bees" that is when the queen comes in a little box - the workers are not her daughters, and until they accept her, they could just kill her. that is the reason for the marshmallow or sugar candy in the escape hole - by the time the workers chew through the candy - they should have accepted her. This is not always the case and is a reason for hive failures. This is not their mom, and some packages just don't accept the new queen.

if there is a swarm, it has its own queen. An established hive that is overpopulated or one that has plenty of resources will "swarm" so 1/2 the workers will leave the hive with the queen - leaving behind queen cells in the hive so the remaining workers can raise a new queen. this is a natural way to increase the population of that genetic lineage.

If she is doing an artificial swarm (splitting an existing hive) - the caged queens can be purchased for the 1/2 of the split that does not have queen cells or if you are splitting workers and want to start a new genetic line with a new queen. It is very early in the year to just purchase queens.

Most artificial swarms are to move the queen and a portion of the bees away from brood (larvae) to a new location in the bee yard so they think they have swarmed and not take off into the trees - so you potentially lose them. just like with a natural swarm, the remaining 1/2 of the workers (at the original hive site)will raise a new queen from queen cells, or if you purchase a queen (in the cage) you can place her in there with the queenless hive. this has to be after a few days of no queen, so the scent of the old queen dissipates a bit.

It is both very simple and very complicated. Just like with kids, Each hive is its own entity and personality, and you have to be able to "read" them to tell what is going on.

Most people just buy packages and then expect honey come fall. Nope.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:33 am When it comes time to harvest, that is pretty cool too. You pull out a slat that full of honeycomb, crack it open and drain it out. Then you seal it back up and reinsert.
Wait, is she using one of those Flow hives? I'm not sure what system it is that you pull a frame, crack it open and then reinsert.

I also don't extract - I produce comb honey.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A nonny mouse wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:57 am
Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:33 am When it comes time to harvest, that is pretty cool too. You pull out a slat that full of honeycomb, crack it open and drain it out. Then you seal it back up and reinsert.
Wait, is she using one of those Flow hives? I'm not sure what system it is that you pull a frame, crack it open and then reinsert.

They sell something like that (perhaps exactly that) at Costco... or did a year or two ago...

The crack and reinsert sounds like the bee boxes of my youth.

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
disarm

Post by disarm »

The Stuff You Should Know podcast did a pretty great episode on beekeeping a couple years ago. They cover a lot about how bee colonies behave, the ideas behind artificial hive construction, and a very basic summary of how one would acquire/start their own hive. It's a very informal overview, but I learned a lot and found it pretty fascinating...

The Ins and Outs of Beekeeping
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

How much land is needed. Can a small suburban backyard be used ?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:13 am
A nonny mouse wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:57 am

They sell something like that (perhaps exactly that) at Costco... or did a year or two ago...

The crack and reinsert sounds like the bee boxes of my youth.

Enlarge Image
That is exactly what they look like.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:03 pm How much land is needed. Can a small suburban backyard be used ?
I think so. We have a small gated off area about 10 feet long.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Our property management at work has placed three hives on campus this spring, which I thought was neat. But just this morning they have announced a Queen-naming contest. So I’m crowd-sourcing my one entry to my creative OO brethren. I have until Friday to submit one entry. A $50 Visa card is on the line here, people!

Names?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bee Arthur
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cordelia would be double-obscure.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Queen La Bee fa.
Kate Pierson
Beelizabeth
Anna Falxis
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:59 pm Cordelia would be double-obscure.
I was thinking Ophelia to Hamlet... To Bee or not to Bee... But while trying to get somewhere with that it got drown out by thought of Kate Pierson's and the Bee 52s hairdo.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Mum Queen
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Beealzebub
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Snow Queen
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stabitha
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Beejesus or Beejeezus
Stop funding for NPR
Holman

Post by Holman »

Queen Labeetha

(But I actually support Bee Arthur, above)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Beata McBeeface
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sweet Bea Bee Essa.
Elaenor Rig

The biggest failure is is that Coleoptera isn't an order of insect that contains bees, otherwise Coleopatra would win my vote easy.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:20 am Enlarge Image
I'm guessing the post really exists for the punchline, but (just to be pedantic) bees are not "deciding" to sacrifice a portion of their output in exchange for protection.

Bees do what they do, and part of that is making honey for the hive. Wise beekeepers take enough honey but not so much that the hive suffers from the lack. When the honey disappears, the bees just make more.

I guess the interesting question is why or how bees evolved to produce an excess of honey rather than just enough. Perhaps in the wild the excess protects them from occasional theft by honey-seeking animals (which is of course what a beekeeper is).
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Beeyonce
He/Him/His/Porcupine
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:47 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:20 am Enlarge Image
I guess the interesting question is why or how bees evolved to produce an excess of honey rather than just enough.
Maybe all the other pollinators should get subsidies from the bees because they used more than their share of all the pollen. :D
Stop funding for NPR
Holman

Post by Holman »

There was a viral post sometime back from a beekeeper whose neighbor asserted that the neighbor should be entitled to a portion of the honey sales because the bees were "taking pollen" from the neighbor's garden.

The comeuppance was that the neighbor's garden only existed because the beekeeper's bees were pollinating the garden flowers.