Recommend me a (xcom-ish) game to play...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Recommend me a (xcom-ish) game to play...

Post by coopasonic »

I ran out of games that I wanted to play. I need to pick something. My wife is out of town this weekend so I get mostly guilt free game time. I am thinking I want something along the lines of XCOM, but not XCOM.

Requirements (they are flexible):
- Turn based squad level tactical combat
- no pixel graphics unless the game is so good I won't care that I hate pixel graphics
- PC or PS4/5, yeah I know about Triangle Strategy and it may even be the perfect game for me, but the switch controller is... not my friend
- preferably some kind of strategy layer
- No Phoenix Point. I love the tactical combat implementation, but I hate, hate, hate the final mission. (To be fair I also kind of hate the XCOM 2 final mission and that's possibly my favorite game of all time)
- story is nice, but optional
- no old ass or retro games, indie is fine, but I am probably not playing 15+ year old games

Thoughts?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Re: Recommend me a (xcom-ish) game to play...

Post by Isgrimnur »

Door Kickers
Breach & Clear
Battle Brothers
Frozen Synapse
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Using Google for 'best xcom clones' Im given many options. The top ones I like are....

Gears Tactics. Based of the Gears of War series of games.
Spoiler:
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. I actually own this but haven't got to it.
Spoiler:
Xenonauts. Came out 2015 but is basically Xcom
Spoiler:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Warhammer 40k Mechanicus is a pretty solid entry. It's got squad-turn-based-tactics, a strategic layer, upgradeable troops, cyborgs, alien robots and all that good stuff. Grab the expansion too so you can kick some fellow cyborg ass as well. Power scale is similar to X-Com 2 - your guys start out "barely adequate" then become superhuman by the end. Final mission's difficulty is highly dependent on whether you took care of business along the way.

Pro tip: go into "infosphere view" or whatever they call it (normally you push a button in the tactical game to switch to some kind of weird cyberspace view) in the strategic mission choice layer to unlock some bonus missions.

I also hear Gears Tactics is fun, but have never played it.

Also, yes, Battle Brothers is great.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Divinity: Original Sin II in Tactician Mode:
thegamer.com wrote:Tactician Mode - In Game

This is for players who enjoy combat above all other mechanics and moments in RPG games. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is recognized for its turn-based combat system which in itself can be seen as harder to master than real-time fighting and frantic swinging.

But some people like a challenge. This is a super hard mode where every enemy can outsmart you and outpower you if you let them. Tactician Mode makes combat more active and challenging with an increase to all players and NPC's stats.
The squad configuration options and outstanding turn-based tactical combat used in Divinity: Original Sin 2 always struck me as vaguely reminiscent of XCOM. The leveling system is insanely rewarding, and there's tremendous fun to be had in experimenting with new abilities and new combos, and figuring out new strategies when playing the game in Tactician Mode. The following video provides just a mere sample of the sort of creative ideas and thinking available for its tactical combat:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

UFO Extraterrestrial (on Steam)
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:33 pm - No Phoenix Point. I love the tactical combat implementation, but I hate, hate, hate the final mission. (To be fair I also kind of hate the XCOM 2 final mission and that's possibly my favorite game of all time)
Out of curiosity, what's the beef with the final mission? If the issue is the old "it's too long and I run out of ammo", then the new ancient tech weapons make that a moot point. I breezed through the final mission this time. Granted, I was running a mod that let me bring 1-2 extra people (don't remember the specifics), but even with the original amount, it would have been pretty easy. I actually sat WAAAY back (well out of range of anything) and just snipered the final boss to death. Then moseyed up and finished the mission. My biggest gripe with the latest iteration is that they made Rage Burst useless.

As for some of the others mentioned, I really enjoyed Xenonauts. But the graphics may be a turn-off.

Pretty sure you played Mutant Year Zero (and gifted me the copy I played). But just in case, it is extremely simplistic in comparison to XCOM.

Gears Tactics was okay. I don't recall hating it. But it wasn't very memorable either. Not sure how well it would scratch the itch.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Gears Tactics - finished it, enjoyed it, wayyy too simple
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - finished it, enjoyed it
Frozen Synapse - Steam says 1.4 hours played so apparently I wasn't much of a fan
Xenonauts - Steam says 10.8 hours so I must have liked it more than Frozen Synapse
Divinity: Original Sin II in Tactician Mode - If the story/game wasn't so damn sprawling this would have a much better chance with me - I've put in 148 hours across multiple attempts and never got even half way through it.

Warhammer 40k Mechanicus - I own it, which means it has a solid chance!

Door Kickers - I'm pretty sure it has been on my wish list before but was dropped for unknown reasons

Breach & Clear - interesting, might be a bit too realiztic/mundane, yeah I know that wasn't in the criteria.
Battle Brothers - looks meh, but I'll watch some gameplay
UFO Extraterrestrial - doesn't appear to be listed on steam. It is pretty close to the 15 year mark

Appreciate the input and I'll be taking a deeper look when I am not supposed to be at work.

RE: Phoenix Point - not necessarily running out of ammo, but just the length and... annoying mechanics. I don't have any of the DLC which I assume is required for the weapons you are referring to. I am also not a huge fan of some aspects of the strategic layer. I guess it's maybe too much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If you don't mind moving around icons, have you ever tried older games

Into the Breach
Templar Battleforce
Battle for Westnoth (though if you don't think you'll like Battle Bros then this is probably out as well) and it's over 15 years old.
no pixel graphics
Kinda takes away from the idea that you'd like these games though.

I can't remember did you ever play BattleTech?

Also google led me here

Now I have something to mull over.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters sounds like it might fit the bill, but it won't be released for a couple more weeks (5 May 2022).

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:20 pm Divinity: Original Sin II in Tactician Mode - If the story/game wasn't so damn sprawling this would have a much better chance with me - I've put in 148 hours across multiple attempts and never got even half way through it.
Try playing without even looking at the the quest journal. Just explore. Don’t worry about objectives until you think you’re done with an area, and then just use remaining quests to figure out what might still be doable. Enjoy the ride and focus on the immensely satisfying turn-based tactical combat rather than obsessing over fully completing every story aspect if that ain't your cuppa.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Complete and utter wildcard out of left field: HOMM V - better than it got credit for IMO
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:28 pm Templar Battleforce
Oh man, this one is damn good. The one problem is that it doesn't have a strategic layer other than upgrading your dudes' abilities and perk trees. And you don't get to the bottom of the ability tree in one playthrough, either. But it's a lot of bug-blasting fun, "indie" graphics and all.
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:04 pm Complete and utter wildcard out of left field: HOMM V - better than it got credit for IMO
I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but some of the missions require you to really follow an optimal build order and it absolutely punishes anything but balls-to-the-wall all-out offensive posture.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, Templar Battleforce is best on a tablet IMO. Great little game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Door Kickers 2: Task Force North. It's still in Early Access but all the gameplay features are there, plus plenty of missions. I've put in over 130 hours and for me it scratches that itch of tactical squad combat. There are tons of missions on the Workshop as well, plus the Random Mission Generator has been updated and you could kill a couple of hours just rolling up random missions to play.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Its a little outside squad based tactics but have you give Invisible, Inc. a try?

Its got:
  • turn based combat (not a squad but can be two to three team members on a mission)
  • stylized graphics but not pixel
  • PC
  • has a strategy layer where you choose your missions and difficulty against a game timer
  • Is not Phoenix Point
  • Has a kinda neat story mode
  • Less than 15 years old. Released on May 12, 2015
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scoop20906 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:06 pm Its a little outside squad based tactics but have you give Invisible, Inc. a try?

Its got:
  • turn based combat (not a squad but can be two to three team members on a mission)
  • PC
  • has a strategy layer where you choose your missions and difficulty against a game timer
  • Is not Phoenix Point
Also great on tablet (iPad) though the last time I checked, they may have removed that from the Apple Store for some reason. Pretty sure I bought it, then went to re-install a few years later and coulnd't find it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Scoop20906 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:06 pm Its a little outside squad based tactics but have you give Invisible, Inc. a try?

Its got:
  • PC
  • Is not Phoenix Point
Agreed. A fun game, much deeper than it might appear.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Probably not for you but I like to push the game; Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children.

Very much on the specific people in your squad instead of the Xcom generic squadies but otherwise fits the bill. Missions are fairly short (mostly) but the game itself is way to long and sprawling. Leans heavily into building the protagonists ability loadouts but trying different options is fairly cheap.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:45 pm Probably not for you but I like to push the game; Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children.

Very much on the specific people in your squad instead of the Xcom generic squadies but otherwise fits the bill. Missions are fairly short (mostly) but the game itself is way to long and sprawling. Leans heavily into building the protagonists ability loadouts but trying different options is fairly cheap.
Is it in Japanese? It caught my eye on the video I posted above but the video was not of an English version. Also from the look, it could very much be for Coop.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:17 pm
Madmarcus wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:45 pm Probably not for you but I like to push the game; Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children.

Is it in Japanese? It caught my eye on the video I posted above but the video was not of an English version. Also from the look, it could very much be for Coop.
Korean and I added it to my wishlist last night after watching an overview video.

Its got:
  • PC
  • Is not Phoenix Point
15.1 hours played. Never finished it. Honestly not sure what pulled me away.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Don't let the visuals of Battle Brothers dissuade you from playing; in terms of gameplay and sheer tactical depth, it's XCOM with a medieval fantasy theme.

Some others worthy of consideration:

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've had some fun with the fact that Troubleshooter is in Korean. I've picked out some of the phrases said in game when my students talk in Korean. I still don't know what they mean but it is an interesting feeling.

Everything needed to play the game is in English - the only Korean is in the form of random combat barks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Duolingo has a Korean course. And a Klingon course.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

They do. I did the Korean one for a while but once I got to Korea I stopped. I'm not too bad with romance languages but starting from scratch with no cognates in the vocabulary was too daunting and getting around with English was too doable. I can (mostly) turn written Korean into sounds but I don't I know what I'm saying!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:42 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:20 pm Divinity: Original Sin II in Tactician Mode - If the story/game wasn't so damn sprawling this would have a much better chance with me - I've put in 148 hours across multiple attempts and never got even half way through it.
Try playing without even looking at the the quest journal. Just explore. Don’t worry about objectives until you think you’re done with an area, and then just use remaining quests to figure out what might still be doable. Enjoy the ride and focus on the immensely satisfying turn-based tactical combat rather than obsessing over fully completing every story aspect if that ain't your cuppa.
Hmmm, I did not know you could do this. I gave up on the game because I kept getting stuck trying to advance the game and was frustrated for where else I could look for things. May have to go back and just play it free style.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:20 pm Gears Tactics - finished it, enjoyed it, wayyy too simple
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - finished it, enjoyed it
Frozen Synapse - Steam says 1.4 hours played so apparently I wasn't much of a fan
Xenonauts - Steam says 10.8 hours so I must have liked it more than Frozen Synapse
Divinity: Original Sin II in Tactician Mode - If the story/game wasn't so damn sprawling this would have a much better chance with me - I've put in 148 hours across multiple attempts and never got even half way through it.

Warhammer 40k Mechanicus - I own it, which means it has a solid chance!

Door Kickers - I'm pretty sure it has been on my wish list before but was dropped for unknown reasons

Breach & Clear - interesting, might be a bit too realiztic/mundane, yeah I know that wasn't in the criteria.
UFO Extraterrestrial - doesn't appear to be listed on steam. It is pretty close to the 15 year mark

Appreciate the input and I'll be taking a deeper look when I am not supposed to be at work.

RE: Phoenix Point - not necessarily running out of ammo, but just the length and... annoying mechanics. I don't have any of the DLC which I assume is required for the weapons you are referring to. I am also not a huge fan of some aspects of the strategic layer. I guess it's maybe too much.
It looks like we have the exact same taste in games. I have yet to find anything to top XCOM2-WOTC (with lots of MODS installed) but I keep looking. Invisible Inc is one I bought recently but haven't tried yet. Battle Brother is still on my wishlist. I always come back to XCOM2, I think I've played it through 40+ times.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The discussion with the pissr of carpets in the deals forum got me to install XCOM:EU/EW and... yeah I am not sure I can do it. I enjoy the combat but the strategy layer feels so.... I don't know, just kind of unsatisfying compared to xcom2.

I played phantom doctrine a little bit a while back. I may try to start that again. I've added a few suggestions to my list wish as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Both Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous have a fully fleshed out turned based mode (by default it's real time with pause, but you can toggle back and forth). It's basically D&D 3.5 with even more classes/feats. Both games are absolutely massive. And I kind of love them in spite of some frustrations/feeling overwhelmed at times. :wub:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker (on story mode because holy hell) - that was way more depth than I was prepared for and made Divinity OS2 seem like checkers in comparison. Way too complicated for my tastes. Like it took mme around 100 hours before I figured out my casters were still only using cantrips/level 1 spells because I didn't understand how things worked at all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sadly I gave up early on that game because of the rest system. I HATE having to rest in a game. Plus I could on;y travel and inch on the map before people were tired. Hated it. Loved the play of it otherwise though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Oh, Pathfinder is definitely not for everyone, but for those who are into the batshit crazy depth of the ruleset it's heaven. I think I have more hours in those two games than anything other than MMO's. They are my favorite RPG's since BG II.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then take a look at Solasta. It's a lighter rules system, doesn't involve running a kingdom, and is turn based.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, I can see a few NOT on this list

XCOM: The Bureau

Gunslingers and Zombies

Rebel Cops (can be VERY frustrating)

XCOM Chimera Squad

Arma Tactics
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I haven’t played it yet (on my wish list) but Othercide got pretty good feedback and reviews. Plus, I really dig the style.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:39 am The discussion with the pissr of carpets
Also, dude, ‘pissr of carpets’ is not the preferred nomenclature. Carpetpissr, please. Or Carpet_pissr, or Carpet Pisser if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.

(Insert obligatory jk here)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not Carpet_pissnt?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:20 pm
This is one of my all time favorite games, and for that reason I don't think you would like it.
I don't mean this in a snarky or mean way, but you and I have opposite taste in a lot of things.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a game along the lines you're looking for. I haven't played it yet. But anyrate it's called Xenonauts. I don't remember it but now that I look at it may give it a try. I got it on Steam.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:03 pm I have a game along the lines you're looking for. I haven't played it yet. But anyrate it's called Xenonauts. I don't remember it but now that I look at it may give it a try. I got it on Steam.
Thanks! Steam says I've played it for 10.8 hours but I have no recollection of it. I am not sure if that is a good sign. Some reviews say it is closer to the original XCOM which doesn't really make it sound that interesting to me. I see there is a Xenonauts 2 with a Demo and beta marked as coming to early access. Maybe I check out that demo (after I finish Phantom Doctrine).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter