The OO Game Recommendation Thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

The OO Game Recommendation Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

No, this isn't where you recommend games. This is where you ask for game recommendations!

Me first!

I have been trying to narrow down the urge I have for a game. I posted a while back about a couple that scratched my itch perfectly, and I think I'm getting closer. The two I posted about were Slime Rancher and Medieval Dynasty. I think I over-considered the physical building aspect (which is core to MD, but mostly absent in SR.) I think what I enjoyed was the pairing of exploring/discovering/processing with running a business/economy. I liked improving what I had - buying upgrades, improving the aesthetics, becoming more efficient. I also liked that the challenge was about improving how things ran rather than about combat and dying. I get something of the same experience with American Truck Simulator, and got it with Tank Mechanic Simulator (although the 'business' and 'upgrade' aspects were pretty lacking there.)

I know Captain CC Kasey Chang has touched on a lot of similar games - such as the various 'X Mechanic Simulator' titles. If you can see me, Cap'n Chang - or anyone else, which of those (or other, similar titles) are most worth the time? What else might fit the bill and scratch that particular itch?

Note that while I do want some depth, I don't want an insanely complex game that requires and economics degree to make progress on (like so many of the space 'trader' games out there.) If I need 20 hours of tutorials and a set of spreadsheets to play, I'll probably never get past the starting area.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Re: The OO Game Recommendation Thread

Post by dbt1949 »

https://www.superworldbox.com/

This is a god simulator where you don't really care about improving anything. Just lay down some "people" and let them evolve on their own. There's humans,orcs,elves, and dwarves.
Just lay down a few on a continent and watch them evolve on their own and make wars on their own. Eventually they'll go to different continents unless you fill the ocean with sharks.
No real thinking involved. Just do what looks interesting.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No, this isn't where you recommend games.
Well that makes it difficult to help you :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I suppose that can be taken both ways... I just meant that I saw a need for a place to look for suggestions rather than another catch-all where everyone tells what they're playing.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

The Guild 3 is currently in early access, it's about building up a medieval business and rising in social status. I haven't heard great things about it so far, but it's kind of a narrow genre so it's not easy to find good recommendations.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chraolic wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:35 am The Guild 3 is currently in early access, it's about building up a medieval business and rising in social status. I haven't heard great things about it so far, but it's kind of a narrow genre so it's not easy to find good recommendations.
I wanted to like the Guild but didn't.
I wanted to like the Guild 2 and put a lot of time into it but really didn't, in spite of (Steam says) 90 hours put in (wow).
I'm sure when the Guild 3 gets cheap, I'll want to like it. I'll buy it. Here's to hoping it has the magic I'm looking for even if I don't know what that magic is.

I seem to like the idea of the game more than the game. :oops:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I just put a few hours into House Flipper

and found it oddly relaxing. You level up your skills (there's a branching skill tree), choose jobs, make money, update your business...It's interesting. Certainly not what I was expecting. It's certainly not as grand as Slime Rancher or Medieval Dynasty, but perhaps it's worth a look?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

House Flipper looks interesting. I'll check it out.
Chraolic wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:35 am The Guild 3 is currently in early access, it's about building up a medieval business and rising in social status. I haven't heard great things about it so far, but it's kind of a narrow genre so it's not easy to find good recommendations.
I played the 1st one ("Europa 1400: The Guild") back when it was current, and like it quite a bit despite it being a very rough game. I never did try 2.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What's out there for someone who loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Jagged Alliance 2 (actual tactical gameplay), but hated XCOM 2 for it's puzzle-levels, anti-tactics, and one-solution-is-required gameplay, what's out there? Note that I'm looking at games that are turn based (or close enough), have guns, and aren't bitterly difficult.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

What about Pheonix Point? Now that the developer released mod is released on Steam Workshop to tweak many of the more controversial aspects to your liking it might not fall into the bitterly difficult category.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:46 am What's out there for someone who loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Jagged Alliance 2 (actual tactical gameplay), but hated XCOM 2 for it's puzzle-levels, anti-tactics, and one-solution-is-required gameplay, what's out there? Note that I'm looking at games that are turn based (or close enough), have guns, and aren't bitterly difficult.
If you're not averse to deck-building combined with stylish turn-based tactics, Fights in Tight Spaces plays akin to XCOM with martial arts:

Also, Phantom Doctrine may scratch you where you itch. It provides XCOM style combat with greater emphasis upon stealth, and an espionage/cold war theme:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:51 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:46 am What's out there for someone who loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Jagged Alliance 2 (actual tactical gameplay), but hated XCOM 2 for it's puzzle-levels, anti-tactics, and one-solution-is-required gameplay, what's out there? Note that I'm looking at games that are turn based (or close enough), have guns, and aren't bitterly difficult.
Also, Phantom Doctrine may scratch you where you itch. It provides XCOM style combat with greater emphasis upon stealth, and an espionage/cold war theme:

The tactical part of Phantom Doctrine is very good, especially with the emphasis on stealth rather than just getting positioned to shot. The operational level of the game, upgrading your agents and running your base, is pretty well done too. The story IIRC got a bit convoluted, but was still OK. You can download the PDF manual which gives a nice overall look at the game.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That one looks interesting (and it's going on my wish list), but it isn't what I was in the mood for. I checked out a few reviews, and they all seem to agree that they missions are more about avoiding combat. I'm wanting the opposite.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:58 pm

That one looks interesting (and it's going on my wish list), but it isn't what I was in the mood for. I checked out a few reviews, and they all seem to agree that they missions are more about avoiding combat. I'm wanting the opposite.
Yeah this is a game where combat generally means you failed.

Mutant Year Zero and Gears Tactics are worth a look.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Phoenix Point?

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:58 pm

If you're specifically interested in combat, I'd definitely recommend checking out Fights in Tight Spaces. Don't let its roguelike trappings dissuade you, because the turn-based combat system it uses transforms even seemingly simple enemy encounters into fascinating, immensely-satisfying, tactical puzzles. The combat becomes deceptively deep, and looks gorgeous in action:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It had its own thread way back in Early Access, but now that's out in retail I still can't recommend PowerWash Simulator highly enough. I've literally put in almost 50 hours into it, which is somewhat insane.

There are tons of maps, the progression of buying new equipment is suitably entertaining, and it just feels nice and polished compared to a lot of similar sim games. There's no huge challenge here, it's more just a way to sit back, relax, and clean stuff. But it's very satisfying.
Last edited by YellowKing on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll take a look at the suggestions, but one core appeal of my example games - soldiers with guns conducting firefights - doesn't really seem to be there (and the highly stylized graphics of a couple of those don't really appeal much to me, at least not right now.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:29 pm I'll take a look at the suggestions, but one core appeal of my example games - soldiers with guns conducting firefights - doesn't really seem to be there (and the highly stylized graphics of a couple of those don't really appeal much to me, at least not right now.)
Soldiers with guns? Conducting firefights?

And see my thread: Door Kickers 2: Task Force North [PC] - Top Down Tactical Shooter. And a direct link to the latest post I've made in the thread.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:48 pm
If you're specifically interested in combat, I'd definitely recommend checking out Fights in Tight Spaces. Don't let its roguelike trappings dissuade you, because the turn-based combat system it uses transforms even seemingly simple enemy encounters into fascinating, immensely-satisfying, tactical puzzles. The combat becomes deceptively deep, and looks gorgeous in action
demo here that lets you play through the first scenario, so i tried it out last night:

i see the potential, but i feel hampered by the basic cards (it is the beginning of the game, after all - i can see why one would be limited in SHIFT and PUSH actions at the start so as not to overwhelm the new player). i suspect that i might enjoy Firaxis' Marvel's Midnight Suns based on the gameplay here...

be aware there are event spaces you can select in the level map where a wrong choice may instantly end your run, if that sort of thing frustrates you - but it looks like those can be avoided.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

After several action-heavy games in a row, I'm kind of in the mood for a change of pace.

Can anyone suggest a management/business/sim type game that incorporates both progression and exploration, preferably 1st or 3rd person? The two that stand out as fitting the bill are Satisfactory and Medieval Dynasty (both of which I've spent considerable time with.)
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:59 pm After several action-heavy games in a row, I'm kind of in the mood for a change of pace.

Can anyone suggest a management/business/sim type game that incorporates both progression and exploration, preferably 1st or 3rd person? The two that stand out as fitting the bill are Satisfactory and Medieval Dynasty (both of which I've spent considerable time with.)
Have you tried Valheim?

Because it's immensely immersive, atmospheric, adventurous, and epic, and may scratch you where you itch:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:17 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:59 pm After several action-heavy games in a row, I'm kind of in the mood for a change of pace.

Have you tried Valheim?
Yep, I'm familiar with it (and I have it and a scad of other, similar games on my shelf.) I'm looking for something that leans more into the management aspect (not just crafting) and less into the action/survival thing.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:31 pm

Have you tried Valheim?
Yep, I'm familiar with it (and I have it and a scad of other, similar games on my shelf.) I'm looking for something that leans more into the management aspect (not just crafting) and less into the action/survival thing.
Fair enough. In that case, how about Stellaris? Here's a comprehensive overview that provides some useful insight on deciding whether it may be right for you:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Have you looked at (EA) Sengoku Dynasty ?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:31 pm

Have you tried Valheim?
Fair enough. In that case, how about Stellaris? Here's a comprehensive overview that provides some useful insight on deciding whether it may be right for you:
Stellaris is actually a really appealing game, and I already have it in my library - but it's more of a 4x than the kind of game that I was talking about.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:47 am

Have you looked at (EA) Sengoku Dynasty ?
Actually, I had glanced at that, but had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. It's basically Medieval Dynasty set in feudal Japan. That's not a terrible idea.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and I just remembered another game that would have fit the description: Slime Rancher, alongside the already mentioned Medieval Dynasty and Satisfactory.

There are actually gazillions of games that have some of these elements (the wave of house flipper/shopkeeper/owner games have some of it, although they're lacking in the 'exploration' element), but there are so many, and most are indie that it's hard to know what's worth playing.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:21 pm Oh, and I just remembered another game that would have fit the description: Slime Rancher, alongside the already mentioned Medieval Dynasty and Satisfactory.

There are actually gazillions of games that have some of these elements (the wave of house flipper/shopkeeper/owner games have some of it, although they're lacking in the 'exploration' element), but there are so many, and most are indie that it's hard to know what's worth playing.
If you're after something more akin to Slime Rancher, Roots of Pacha may fit the bill. It's basically an improved Stardew Valley set in the stone age, reimagined as an open world prehistoric farming and tribal life-sim. FWIW, it's also currently available at a thirty percent discount until January 17:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:21 pm Oh, and I just remembered another game that would have fit the description: Slime Rancher, alongside the already mentioned Medieval Dynasty and Satisfactory.

Maybe Graveyard Keeper, although the exploration is 'Stardew Valley' level.