[Disney+] She-Hulk: Attorney at Law

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: [Disney+] She-Hulk: Attorney at Law

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:33 am Has that ever been ‘a thing’ in the comics?
Apparently it has. I figured it might have been, but I had no idea.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:40 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:33 am And I like the idea that there could be a little Jr running around (who I suppose would now be an old man)

Has that ever been ‘a thing’ in the comics?
You mean the ability to have children? I'm pretty sure it is.
uh yeah.

Obviously, I'm asking if there has ever been a comic book issue that involves Captain America having a bastard child running around.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:45 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:33 am Has that ever been ‘a thing’ in the comics?
Apparently it has. I figured it might have been, but I had no idea.
Interesting. So I'll conclude my curiosity here. It seems like if our MCU pursues this copulation and turns it into a child, it wouldn't be the first time that's been thought about in the comic world - but it also sounds like it would be an entirely new angle on it that would be unique to the MCU.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Unagi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:50 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:40 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:33 am And I like the idea that there could be a little Jr running around (who I suppose would now be an old man)

Has that ever been ‘a thing’ in the comics?
You mean the ability to have children? I'm pretty sure it is.
uh yeah.

Obviously, I'm asking if there has ever been a comic book issue that involves Captain America having a bastard child running around.
Yup. He would be named "Seaman America".
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So just how did he have a child with Rogue without dying lol. That requires a little skin on skin action.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And just like that, the thread became an adult fan fiction repository.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:41 pm So just how did he have a child with Rogue without dying lol. That requires a little skin on skin action.
That's where the crossover with The Flash comes in.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:41 pm So just how did he have a child with Rogue without dying lol. That requires a little skin on skin action.
Go ahead an look up Gambit and Rogue getting married and then having kids.

If it's not clear, superhero comic books are absolutely soap operas for nerds. Whatever they need to develop a plot line, they create.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:25 pm
Go ahead an look up Gambit and Rogue getting married and then having kids.
...then send us a reaction video.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Forever flaccid, more than just the slogan for Mitch's Overcooked Asparagus.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

Thumbs up for episode 2! Very funny! I love the subtle way they acknowledged Ruffalo wasn't in the Norton Hulk movie.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m enjoying it in spite of the 4th wall breaking not always working for me.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I thought of Popehat at the end when
Spoiler:
She's feeling good about her decision and how Abomination is maybe a good dude after all and then "oh by the way your new client was caught on video participating in an underground fight scene after escaping from prison."
Black Lives Matter.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Still really enjoying She Hulk. Genuninely funny and fun.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just got done complaining about stunt casting in the What We Do in the Shadows thread, and then I go and watch the latest episode of this one. Ugh.

But in spite of that annoying bit, I’m enjoying this show quite a lot. The CGI isn’t always that good, and the talking to the camera schtick has an expiration date that’s coming soon, but it’s fun to watch someone who views being a superhero not as a curse or a gift, but rather as an annoyance.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:11 am
Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:59 pm
Also, important: there is an after credits scene.
So good.
Just watched the first episode and I'll be bowing out soon to not get spoiled, but the first episode post credit scene was a bit out of character from the rest of the show and had to deal with Ethan asking what does virgin mean.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:03 pm the first episode post credit scene was a bit out of character from the rest of the show and had to deal with Ethan asking what does virgin mean.
I agree, it was a sudden insertion of something I didn't feel like dealing with my daughter that has been in the entire MCU with me... and always - always wants to wait to see if there is a mid-credit scene. And not just 'virgin', but I would be questioned about "Fuuuuuu......" cut-off as well. Pretty sure this is the first push of such a specific focus on intercourse. And it's not like we are a house that wont talk about sex, etc - this is just not where I expected to have to start fielding this stuff. I'd rather just start watching Firefly with her than do this.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:38 am
naednek wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:03 pm the first episode post credit scene was a bit out of character from the rest of the show and had to deal with Ethan asking what does virgin mean.
I agree, it was a sudden insertion of something I didn't feel like dealing with my daughter that has been in the entire MCU with me... and always - always wants to wait to see if there is a mid-credit scene. And not just 'virgin', but I would be questioned about "Fuuuuuu......" cut-off as well. Pretty sure this is the first push of such a specific focus on intercourse. And it's not like we are a house that wont talk about sex, etc - this is just not where I expected to have to start fielding this stuff. I'd rather just start watching Firefly with her than do this.
There are still children in US that never heard of the F-word?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:00 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:38 am
There are still children in US that never heard of the F-word?
Oh, she knows the word. This is just not the venue where we would expect to hear it.
Also, I don't know that she connects the word to fornication just yet.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:03 pm
So good.
Just watched the first episode and I'll be bowing out soon to not get spoiled, but the first episode post credit scene was a bit out of character from the rest of the show and had to deal with Ethan asking what does virgin mean.
Ver-Gin - a thing you sacrifice to the gods...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

IN other news, Mrs Kub and I watched episode 3 last night and that was a lot of fun, tho really short.

The credits came on and Mrs Kub was all - I hate it when they do the opening title scenes in the middle of the episode
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:17 pm
naednek wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:03 pm
So good.
Ver-Gin - a thing you sacrifice to the gods...
Well, a year-ish ago we watched Bill and Ted with the kids, which prompted the question "What's an Oedipal Complex?"
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I enjoyed this episode, but I think it was my least favorite so far. The jokes were fun but didn't land as well as some of the ones from last week. And it does look like they are setting the stage for the main conflict of the season.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:41 pm I enjoyed this episode, but I think it was my least favorite so far. The jokes were fun but didn't land as well as some of the ones from last week. And it does look like they are setting the stage for the main conflict of the season.
Yeah, I agree. I'll admit that I was a little distracted during the episode so that may have been part of it. It was fun, but didn't enjoy it as much as episode 2 (my favorite so far).
Black Lives Matter.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

msteelers wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:41 pm I enjoyed this episode, but I think it was my least favorite so far. The jokes were fun but didn't land as well as some of the ones from last week. And it does look like they are setting the stage for the main conflict of the season.
But they had Megan THEE Stallion!!!

Seriously though it was fun and funny in parts, but felt like a waste of Wong. And I couldn't tell what the stage for the "main conflict" is at all, which I feel like is really needed. In other words if I don't see Daredevil soon I'm gonna be pissed lol. I know they like to start their series slow and build into the "main" plot, but it's kind of a bummer when there are so few eps and each ep is so short. I don't know when this whole six to eight half hour episodes per season thing became the norm but I generally find it unsatisfying.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

rittchard wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:50 pm I don't know when this whole six to eight half hour episodes per season thing became the norm but I generally find it unsatisfying.
There's waaaaaaaaaay too much TV to try and stay current on anymore, so I actually appreciate it. Being able to hammer out an episode of something in less than 30 minutes is ideal (for me).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Word on the net is those mean posts and tweets they showed were actual ones from the web posted about the show itself. Shameful people have nothing better to do.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

rittchard wrote:And I couldn't tell what the stage for the "main conflict" is at all, which I feel like is really needed.
Here you go.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:57 pm
rittchard wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:50 pm I don't know when this whole six to eight half hour episodes per season thing became the norm but I generally find it unsatisfying.
There's waaaaaaaaaay too much TV to try and stay current on anymore, so I actually appreciate it. Being able to hammer out an episode of something in less than 30 minutes is ideal (for me).
I guess it's less the shortness of the episodes that bugs me than the shortness of the so-called "season." I have to admit with my penchant for falling asleep the short episode structure actually works better for me in general too. But I hate that in a really engaging show, I end up just blasting through the whole thing and it feels like it's over before it's begun. And then you have to wait first to see if it's going to be renewed, and then if it is, at very best another year or more before you get to see more.

- - -

Oh, also thanks msteelers! I forgot about that detail.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:57 pm
There's waaaaaaaaaay too much TV to try and stay current on anymore, so I actually appreciate it.

To be fair, there being as much TV as there is has something to do with the short seasons, too. Actors can work three shows at once. Shorter shows mean more shows.

The downsides to me are, first, that instead of having a few months between seasons and trying to remember what was going on, I now have to remember what happened ten months ago. And second, because seasons are so short, every episode has to count and push the narrative. A 'tight' narrative is a good thing, but I'm starting to think that something is lost when they don't have wiggle room, too. They have a lot fewer opportunities to experiment with the characters, to build their personalities and quirks, fewer opportunities for world building that isn't absolutely required by the story. Thinking back to shows like Buffy, how many iconic moments and favorite scenes are the result of monster-of-the-week episodes? No, I don't miss clip shows, but I do think that a lot of creative freedom has been lost in the push for perfect efficiency.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As predicted, the whole talking to the audience shtick now officially annoys me. The show isn’t built for that, in my opinion. It comes off as just a cheap attempt to be Deadpool or some other show that made it work.

But, the stories are growing on me.
Spoiler:
Madisynn was friggin’ hilarious. I know she was playing the standard party girl stereotype that’s been done to death, but she committed so damn fully to it that I found myself laughing at her character more than once. I also loved that she kept calling Wong “Wongers”.

The magician also made me chuckle. Especially when during the courtroom scene, his lawyer started doing cheap magic tricks too.
In short, stop trying to be cutsie with the talking to the audience stuff and concentrate on the stories. They’re a fun change of pace from the other shows.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:54 pm As predicted, the whole talking to the audience shtick now officially annoys me. The show isn’t built for that, in my opinion. It comes off as just a cheap attempt to be Deadpool or some other show that made it work.
Some simple googling (seriously, I didn't know this and just googled it) will inform you that She Hulk did the wall breaking narration to the reader in comics before Deadpool did. So I would say it is perfectly fine that they decided the show IS built for that.

The bottom line is it's funny when She Hulk does it and when Deadpool does it. If every single Marvel hero starts breaking the fourth wall, then yes, that would be a bit much. I think two doing it isn't going to end the world, erase half of the population of the universe, or fracture the multiverse.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

JCC wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:03 pm
The bottom line is it's funny when She Hulk does it and when Deadpool does it. If every single Marvel hero starts breaking the fourth wall, then yes, that would be a bit much. I think two doing it isn't going to end the world, erase half of the population of the universe, or fracture the multiverse.
That’s not a bottom line, that’s an opinion. Mine is that it is annoying on this show.

And of course it isn’t going to end the world or whatever. We’re discussing a tv show, not the resurgence of Polio.

…. Or even how god awful Chibnall’s Doctor Who run was. Now that I’ll say was the bottom line on that. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 pm
JCC wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:03 pm
That’s not a bottom line, that’s an opinion. Mine is that it is annoying on this show.

And of course it isn’t going to end the world or whatever. We’re discussing a tv show, not the resurgence of Polio.

…. Or even how god awful Chibnall’s Doctor Who run was. Now that I’ll say was the bottom line on that. :mrgreen:
I don't love the talking to the audience thing either, though they've kept it to a minimum so far. Seems like they have her talk to the audience once maybe twice early in the episode and that's it. Kind of wonder whether they felt obligated to do that because it's in the comics.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I do appreciate that they keep it to a minimum. Although none would be better.

By the way, the character I mentioned loving above from the latest episode is apparently getting a lot of fans. Hopefully she comes back for more.
He won. Period.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I have no familiarity with the character or source material at all but have been enjoying the show a lot. It almost feels like this is a Marvel attempt at a sitcom and I'm OK with that.
I am curious how they're going to tie Daredevil in with this kind of show.

I know there's an age difference, but I couldn't help but think the hokey Karmataj-reject magician should have been played by Matt Berry.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Daveman wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:54 pm It almost feels like this is a Marvel attempt at a sitcom and I'm OK with that.
Uh... yes. It was marketed and billed as a sitcom well before its release.
I am curious how they're going to tie Daredevil in with this kind of show.
Yeah. I mean he is a lawyer, so presumably he will either be in a courtroom with her, or just know of her and approach her for help with... ? I assume it will tie into the Echo series.
I know there's an age difference, but I couldn't help but think the hokey Karmataj-reject magician should have been played by Matt Berry.
Well, he's already been in the Star Wars universe, so the people at Disney have his contact info. I wholeheartedly endorse Matt Berry having a prominent role in the MCU.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still enjoying the hell out of this show and last night's therapy episode had a hint of Venture Bros for me, with the crazy (but comic book accurate) D level characters on the show. I think they telegraphed the episode's ending with the "Previously on..." montage they start each episode with, but other than that I thought it was a great episode.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:29 am Still enjoying the hell out of this show and last night's therapy episode had a hint of Venture Bros for me, with the crazy (but comic book accurate) D level characters on the show. I think they telegraphed the episode's ending with the "Previously on..." montage they start each episode with, but other than that I thought it was a great episode.
Same. The sitcom elements of this show are right up my alley it seems. I don't really care much about the overarching story. As the season draws to a close I hope they can keep up the sitcom elements. Ms Marvel sort of lost the charm of the earlier episodes as they dove into the overarching plot. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wait, last night's episode?

I thought the last one was the last one. I really wish they'd communicate unreleased episodes better on the page.

So, yay!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)