NCAA Football 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: NCAA Football 2022

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm up for it! If both teams keep winning maybe we'll see you in the playoffs!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Heck yeah! I know we haven't really looked "stellar" in any of our wins, save for the dismantling of OU, but they are shadow of their former selves. In my mind it all boils down to UT and Baylor. Tech will be a challenge just because they hate us so much, and ISU still has flashes of great defense under Campbell, but the rivalry between us and the orange and green teams are the bread and butter of the remainder of our games.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
JCC

Post by JCC »

I think TCU has definitely played a tougher schedule than Michigan. I mean it's not debatable. So, if that is the reason they are ranked ahead of Michigan I am fine with it. Having said that, Vegas would definitely favor Michigan over TCU on a neutral field if they were playing this weekend. And, of course none of this matters. Michigan will have their chance to get their big win later in the year.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In a battle of unbeatens, #3 Georgia is favored by 8 points over #1 Tennessee. Shows what Vegas thinks of the rankings.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:19 pm In a battle of unbeatens, #3 Georgia is favored by 8 points over #1 Tennessee. Shows what Vegas thinks of the rankings.
They are the defending champs and at home.

On the other hand, I'm almost more intrigued by the SEC West tilt tomorrow night. LSU is playing much better, and Alabama has been committing penalties on the road as if you get points for them - I can easily see LSU winning that game at home in Death Valley.

The winner of UGa/Tenn is a lock for the SEC championship game, but think about the chaos if LSU wins out, including the SEC Championship.

2-Loss LSU as the SEC Champ. 1 loss Tenn/Uga and maybe Ole Miss also in the SEC. Also possible undefeated champs of the B1G/ACC/Big 12, with multiple in any other year deserving 1-loss teams (any pac-12 champ with 1 loss, loser of Michigan/tOSU, or even a 1-loss B1G champ in Illinois, or Michigan (if Michigan splits with Illinois and beats tOSU).

CHAOS!!! :pop: :pop: :pop:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ohio State was somewhat exposed by 1-7 No'western. Tennessee is going down hard. If Michigan takes care of r-r-r-Rutgers they will slip into the top 4.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:Ohio State was somewhat exposed by 1-7 No'western. Tennessee is going down hard. If Michigan takes care of r-r-r-Rutgers they will slip into the top 4.
Eh, it was a really windy day, but NW blew their best opportunity by not throwing the ball on first down late, and only down 14-7. Stuck with the run too long.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Tennessee fell in love with the pass when they should be running ball whenever Georgia only has 5/6 in the box. Make them put 7 in the box, then open the passing game up.

Gameplan really costing them in this game. Georgia's really good too, but Tennessee not giving themselves a chance with a bad gameplan.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, I thought it was a mistake for LSU to go for 2. Shows what I know.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:Wow, I thought it was a mistake for LSU to go for 2. Shows what I know.
I was throwing 2 fingers up as soon as they got the td. I felt that if they let Gibbs keep running well, they'd lose.

Man, that was close tho. Great game.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Jaymann wrote:Wow, I thought it was a mistake for LSU to go for 2. Shows what I know.
I thought going for 2 was the way to go. Bama defense was wore out due to the offense ineptitude. Saban needs to clean house next year. Such wasted talent this year.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have too much respect for Alabama to hate them but I was happy to see LSU win. It was also nice seeing Clemson lose.
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

And now I get to see if TCU can handle this target on our back for three more weeks...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hyena wrote:And now I get to see if TCU can handle this target on our back for three more weeks...
And the road. Back to back road games against solid opponents.

If you haven't noticed, the home/ road splits are THE determining factor in the CFP this year.

UCLA,USC,Utah, Oregon, Clemson, Ole Miss,Alabama, Tennessee, ALL with only road losses against tough opponents (and don't pretend that Oregon playing Georgia in Atlanta wasn't a road game).

Ohio State and Tennessee are the only highly ranked teams with road wins over top 15 opponents (and Tennessee's win was against an LSU team which is dramatically better now).

Can TCU match Alabama with a win in Austin (Bama could well have lost if Texas hadn't lost their starting qb too). And then follow it up in Waco? Hats off if they can, but I'm thinking TCU's habit of falling behind won't play as well on the road.

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:06 pm
Hyena wrote:And now I get to see if TCU can handle this target on our back for three more weeks...

If you haven't noticed, the home/ road splits are THE determining factor in the CFP this year.

UCLA,USC,Utah, Oregon, Clemson, Ole Miss,Alabama, Tennessee, ALL with only road losses against tough opponents (and don't pretend that Oregon playing Georgia in Atlanta wasn't a road game).

Ohio State and Tennessee are the only highly ranked teams with road wins over top 15 opponents (and Tennessee's win was against an LSU team which is dramatically better now).

Can TCU match Alabama with a win in Austin (Bama could well have lost if Texas hadn't lost their starting qb too). And then follow it up in Waco? Hats off if they can, but I'm thinking TCU's habit of falling behind won't play as well on the road.
We did play four top-25 teams in a row, and if I'm not mistaken two of them are still ranked. UT will be the fifth, and we've been highly successful against them over the past decade. I'm not saying we'll win, but we are in a much stronger position than we've been in years.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:22 pm
Both Wilner and Canzano are calling BS on an announcement this week for SDSU to the Pac-12, because they both believe that the TV/Media Rights deal comes first. I do think it happens tho.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Posting this for ImLawboy: https://theathletic.com/3771847/2022/11 ... -harbaugh/

An interesting article about how one new coaching hire has really transformed the coaching staff at Michigan.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He (Harbaugh) was on a radio political ad this morning on the local sport radio show using his name to shill for the Michigan GOP. Really turned me off.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, Oregon blew a late 7 point lead against Washington. And Arizona just went up 14-0 on UCLA. Pac 12 chaos.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Go home Pac 12, you’re drunk. The Conference of Cannibals, indeed.

Sorry Pyper. :(. I figured AZ would sneak up on someone this year, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when it wasn’t us.

I’m slightly more optimistic of Utah’s chances at Oregon next week now. Especially if Tavion Thomas actually has his head on straight and comes ready to play. I would still put money on Oregon (we’re not nearly as good on the road), but WA gave a pretty good roadmap to beating the Ducks. Especially If Nix is hobbled a bit, as running QBs tend to eat our lunch.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Go home Pac 12, you’re drunk. The Conference of Cannibals, indeed.

Sorry Pyper. :(. I figured AZ would sneak up on someone this year, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when it wasn’t us.

I’m slightly more optimistic of Utah’s chances at Oregon next week now. Especially if Tavion Thomas actually has his head on straight and comes ready to play. I would still put money on Oregon (we’re not nearly as good on the road), but WA gave a pretty good roadmap to beating the Ducks. Especially If Nix is hobbled a bit, as running QBs tend to eat our lunch.
It's OK. It has been pretty obvious that we don't have a CFP caliber defense this year, and i would rather play in one of the final traditional Rose Bowl games before it goes away. That's still on the table, and UCLA used to be really good at backing into the Rose Bowl- could see us doing the same thing with the Pac12 championship.... (and knocking SC out of National Championship contention is always fun).

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I would love a rematch in the CCG,
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:I would love a rematch in the CCG,
We might need Oregon State to beat Oregon for that to happen if you beat Oregon. Pac12 tiebreakers are going to be insane this year.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hyena wrote:

We did play four top-25 teams in a row, and if I'm not mistaken two of them are still ranked. UT will be the fifth, and we've been highly successful against them over the past decade. I'm not saying we'll win, but we are in a much stronger position than we've been in years.
Nice win Saturday, by the way. The defense really showed up for all four quarters!

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:27 am
Hyena wrote:

Nice win Saturday, by the way. The defense really showed up for all four quarters!
Thanks! Not like *I* did anything, but thanks, anyways... :lol:

And yes, I was thrilled the defense played like they did. Who'da thunk it would turn into a defensive battle with two offensive-minded teams? Holding what everyone considers the best running back in the conference, if not one of the best in the NCAA, to 29 yards on 12 carries was HUGE. Add to that ours going for 130+ on 22 carries and a TD is icing on the cake. Kendre Miller is an animal, and honestly I don't think we're missing Zach Evans at all.

Next up is Baylor, and I'm worried. This will be their Superbowl, as I'm sure they remember two things: 1) We spoiled their shot at the CFP last year as a potential 1-loss Big XII champ and 2) they spoiled OUR shot at the first ever CFP in 2014 with their 61-58 comeback win. I'm sure they'd love nothing more than to be the fly in the ointment for us once again.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Apollo wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:55 pm Posting this for ImLawboy: https://theathletic.com/3771847/2022/11 ... -harbaugh/

An interesting article about how one new coaching hire has really transformed the coaching staff at Michigan.
And, just like that, he's gone: https://theathletic.com/3900757/2022/11 ... charlotte/
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Just saw that. Hard to be too upset for the guy making good.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:21 pm
Skinypupy wrote:I would love a rematch in the CCG,
We might need Oregon State to beat Oregon for that to happen if you beat Oregon. Pac12 tiebreakers are going to be insane this year.
Looks like I was wrong. It's WSU we need to win (in addition to beating SC and Cal) per this:

Tho if Utah beats Oregon, we *also* need Oregon St to win. Ucla depending on the the Pacific Northwest also-ran's (WRT conference alignment) ;)

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looking forward to the P12 conference semi-finals today.

All indications are that Bo Nix will be a game-time decision. I have no idea what to expect. Just like when we played Oregon last year, the only result that would surprise me is a Utah blowout. Hopefully, I’ll end up just as surprised as last time. 😊

Which makes me bummed that I’m likely to be asleep before the Utah/Oregon game ends. Nothing like having a critical game between two top 15 teams start at...10:30 pm ET. :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, what a finish to the TCU-Baylor game. TCU was down by 8 late, scored a TD but failed on the tying 2 point conversion. Then a great defensive hold and final drive, ending in a winning field goal (with no time outs) as they got the field goal unit on and made the kick literally as time expired.

Guess TCU is for real.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The TCU and Michigan endings were crazy.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

McNutt wrote:The TCU and Michigan endings were crazy.
Watching them, it was pretty obvious that both were coming down to game winning fgs, due to bad 4 minute offense and prevent defense. Bielema and Aranda played to lose.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:09 pm Enlarge Image
:wub: :wub:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I plan on many hours of PAC football tonight. UCLA is the only team I will pull for, but I think they will likely lose. Neither team has a good defense and the Bruins have had some real so do second halves. This is a game to take the over on, and the Bruins offense is their only hope.

USC will lose next week to Notre Dame.

As for Utah and Oregon, this should be a good game. I would pick Oregon easily but for their lack of defense against Washington.

If Nix plays and is effective I think the Ducks win.
Last edited by Scuzz on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I actually think UCLA wins. I think it will be high scoring, bad defense vs elite offense. But, the difference is that UCLA has a 4 minute offense and can run out the clock to manage who gets possessions, if necessary.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Bruins running game should be better than the Trojans with their best back out for the season.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Both Michigan and Ohio State get a scare, but remain undefeated for next Saturday's Big Chill with everything on the line.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:17 pm Both Michigan and Ohio State get a scare, but remain undefeated for next Saturday's Big Chill with everything on the line.
Whoever wins that game will end up beating Iowa
and being in the final 4.
Black Lives Matter