Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msduncan

Re: NCAA Football 2022

Post by msduncan »

Warm up scrimmage completed.

Texas up next.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:30 pm Warm up scrimmage completed.

Texas up next.
AKA warm up scrimmage #2 ;)

did you go/do you still have your season tix?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, just noticed that Oregon went from #11 to …nothing, in one week! :shock:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Texas up next.
Any chance you're making the road trip? Austin is a fun road trip!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:29 pm

Texas up next.

I gave up my tickets this year because we live just far enough away that I wasn't going enough. However, it's easy to pick up tickets for individual games, which I plan to do.

And yes.... Texas should be completely outmatched. They are already hedging their bets by saying 'this game doesn't define Texas'. :p

Edit to add: At least this will be like a practice team scrimmage instead of last weekend, which was like scrimmaging against a middle school team.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:08 am

Texas up next.

I gave up my tickets this year because we live just far enough away that I wasn't going enough. However, it's easy to pick up tickets for individual games, which I plan to do.

And yes.... Texas should be completely outmatched. They are already hedging their bets by saying 'this game doesn't define Texas'. :p

Edit to add: At least this will be like a practice team scrimmage instead of last weekend, which was like scrimmaging against a middle school team.
Have you ever made the Baton Rouge roadtrip? We're planning on it when the Bruins finally visit in '24. Can you tell we're looking forward to it? ;)

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

OK, not a scrimmage, but 'Bama escapes in their first true road non conference game in over a decade.

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:45 pm OK, not a scrimmage, but 'Bama escapes in their first true road non conference game in over a decade.
What a bs called game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

WYBaugh wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:37 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:45 pm OK, not a scrimmage, but 'Bama escapes in their first true road non conference game in over a decade.
What a bs called game.
Seriously, that was terrible.

Notre Dame loses to…Marshall? WTF? 😳 Is there anything more worthless than pre-season rankings?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

We Are Marshall!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And now TAMU and Wisconsin both go down.

Feeling better about the loss to Florida last week. 😂
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, Houston, I hope you enjoyed the two weeks of being ranked.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There’s no way Scott Frost has a job next week.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Texas up next.

Still a W for Saban but this didn't age very well. Texas was 100% in that game even with the poor calls and losing their QB in the 1st quarter.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:33 pm There’s no way Scott Frost has a job next week.
I think I read his buyout drops in October....
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:33 pm There’s no way Scott Frost has a job next week.
It wouldn't stun me for him to be fired this week. But, Nebaska may wait until after October 1st, where his buyout goes down to $7.5 million. (It's double that if they don't wait.) If they don't want to wait until then, they might wait until after their game against Oklahoma next weekend. If we wins, that takes some of the pressure off. If he loses, they have a bye which makes it easier to get your new/interim coach acclimated.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Redfive wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:05 am
Still a W for Saban but this didn't age very well. Texas was 100% in that game even with the poor calls and losing their QB in the 1st quarter.
You can tell Sark had Gary Patterson working on this game since summer. Plus Bill O'Brien is not a creative OC, Texas looked like they knew what play was coming. That game made me realize how much Bama misses Sark as OC, he had plays like TE screens, long passes after runs. BOB had us in Shotgun on 4th and 2 or 3 inches! That is QB Sneak time dammit! But I bet they had not run 1 practice with Young under center. You need 3 inches and you start the play 6 yards in the backfield...

The penalties was what was more baffling, granted those were some bad refs (penalties that were not penalties and penalties that were not called for both sides), but Bama still committed too many legitimate penalties.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ND losing, Texas A&M, Wisconsin losing. You got to love college football.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Nebraska did not wait. It's amazing. Frost looked like a home run hire. It will be interesting to see who Nebraska hires.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What's Urban Meyer up to these days?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:22 pm Nebraska did not wait. It's amazing. Frost looked like a home run hire. It will be interesting to see who Nebraska hires.
They paid an extra $7 million to fire him now instead of waiting a month. That’s insane.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:What's Urban Meyer up to these days?
Notre Dame may have their eyes wandering a bit as well....

JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:33 pm They paid an extra $7 million to fire him now instead of waiting a month. That’s insane.
They paid an extra $7.5 million. And, I agree that they probably should have waited until 10/1. But, it was also obvious he was going to go, so the team was probably going to be completely disfunctional. Also, if they had somehow beat Oklahoma next week (they wouldn't but just for argument's sake) that might have cast doubt on the decision.... Still, paying twice as much to fire someone instead of waiting 21 days seems foolish. It just goes to show you how much money these schools make from football where they shrug off an extra $7.5 million instead of waiting 3 weeks. If my company offered to fire me for $1 million, I would gleefully take it and never work again.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Redfive wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:05 am

Texas up next.

My statement was accurate. Talent wise, Texas was completely outmatched. What you saw was the result of the amazing coaching staff Texas has put together with Sark/Patterson/etc. The most striking thing to me was how much improved the defense was. And the poor calls went both ways - that roughing call that led to a Texas TD in the first half shouldn't have been called.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:56 pm
Jaymann wrote:What's Urban Meyer up to these days?
Notre Dame may have their eyes wandering a bit as well....
Now that you mention it - I wonder if Nebraska paid the extra and made the move to get ahead of ND and Meyer?
It's 34 bowl victories.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ND won't fire Freeman this year absent some kind of scandal that would justify it, and I think Meyer has already scandaled his way out of ever coaching ND. I think he probably needs a little more image rehab before he gets a major college job again (and it's started with him appearing on the Fox pregame show again), but he does tend to move quickly. He's one of most starkly great coach/terrible human people out there (in a profession that I suspect is populated by a lot of not so great people).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:13 am ND won't fire Freeman this year absent some kind of scandal that would justify it, and I think Meyer has already scandaled his way out of ever coaching ND. I think he probably needs a little more image rehab before he gets a major college job again (and it's started with him appearing on the Fox pregame show again), but he does tend to move quickly. He's one of most starkly great coach/terrible human people out there (in a profession that I suspect is populated by a lot of not so great people).
Maybe, but I'd wager that there are at least some donors calling for it. Especially if a very good defensive Cal team comes into South Bend this weekend for a payday and also walks away with almost $2m and a victory...

JCC

Post by JCC »

Absent some sort of scandal it would be foolhardy to fire Freeman in or after year one for purely on the field failure. It would be prohibitively expensive and a giant red flag for the kind quality coaches they would pursue.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:51 pm Absent some sort of scandal it would be foolhardy to fire Freeman in or after year one for purely on the field failure. It would be prohibitively expensive and a giant red flag for the kind quality coaches they would pursue.
If he's 0-4 at this time next week, it won't be...

JCC

Post by JCC »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:22 pm
JCC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:51 pm Absent some sort of scandal it would be foolhardy to fire Freeman in or after year one for purely on the field failure. It would be prohibitively expensive and a giant red flag for the kind quality coaches they would pursue.
It will be hard for him to be 0-4 next week after only 3 games.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:51 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:22 pm
It will be hard for him to be 0-4 next week after only 3 games.
He lost his bowl game last year, blowing a 21 point lead, as well. (So, Coach has an 0-3 record overall, while the 2022 squad is only 0-2), but after 0-2, the Bowl loss is being lumped in...)

JCC

Post by JCC »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:23 pm He lost his bowl game last year, blowing a 21 point lead, as well. (So, Coach has an 0-3 record overall, while the 2022 squad is only 0-2), but after 0-2, the Bowl loss is being lumped in...)
Ah yes, you are quite correct. I still think barring an actual crime or other scandal, it is very unlikely he will be fired this season. I think he would pretty much need to lose every game for it to even be considered. Looking at their schedule I can't imagine them winning fewer than 2-3 games as a absolute worst case scenario that would require a collosal amount of bad fortune (like say every QB getting hurt). I still doubt he would be fired even if that comes to pass. He would have a very hot seat going into year two however.

They are favored by 9 hosting 2-0 Cal this week. If he loses that game, we can revisit the topic. :)
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

Wow, just read ND's QB is out likely for the season. That gambling line may come down some this week! When it rains it pours for Coach Freeman.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JCC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:22 pm Wow, just read ND's QB is out likely for the season. That gambling line may come down some this week! When it rains it pours for Coach Freeman.
ESPN
Notre Dame quarterback Tyler Buchner suffered a high-grade AC joint sprain in his non-throwing shoulder in the loss Saturday to Marshall, Irish coach Marcus Freeman told reporters Monday.

Buchner will undergo surgery Tuesday and Freeman expects the recovery process to take four months, which would put the quarterback out for the remainder of the season.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

On the other hand, the offense wasn't exactly lighting it up...

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
Herm Edwards' tenure as Arizona State's football coach began with bravado, featured dollops of optimism and ultimately ended on Sunday amid a spiral of off-field issues and bad football.

Under the dark cloud of a significant NCAA investigation and in the wake of both a staff roster exodus, Edwards' time as coach ended like so many others in college football -- with a humiliating loss.

Arizona State announced on Sunday that the school was making "a change in leadership" by "mutual agreement," according to athletic director Ray Anderson. In reality, an embarrassing 30-21 loss to Eastern Michigan on Saturday -- at the hands of EMU's back-up quarterback -- made Edwards' inevitable departure a reality.

Edwards finishes his tenure at Arizona State (1-2) at 26-20 with one bowl win in five years. His time there will be remembered much more for the antics and issues off the field, as the NCAA investigation led to five full-time coaches leaving the staff, including both coordinators. The roster soon atrophied, as the program's best quarterback, running back, defensive lineman, linebacker and two best wide receivers transferred out in the last year.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Weird how many times this happens the week before we play a team. :?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We've now moved from "tarmacced" to "end zoned".