NCAA Football 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: NCAA Football 2022

Post by ImLawBoy »

Apollo wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:33 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:48 am It's funny that we're rushing into expanding the playoffs when we have at most 3 teams realistically in the discussion for "best" team.
Agreed. It will no longer be about finding out who is the best team in college football. It will be about making good TV, and that means bringing in the West Coast, Southwest and Mid-Atlantic teams that would rarely be there otherwise. And it does make winning your Conference more meaningful than ever as it will mean a chance to play in front of a huge audience for the National Title. But it's really going to suck the first time the Obviously Best Team loses their star player to an injury in his second playoff game leaving him unable to play in the finale.
It's not necessarily a bad thing - it's just different. The NCAA basketball tournament is great fun, even if it's not about crowning the "best" team.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
naednek

Post by naednek »

I rarely watch college football. But I did catch the last quarter of the USC v Utah game and man talk about fast paced. Utah's Defense was impressive and they have a Kittle like player who just steam rolled about 6 players for a TD. USC couldn't handle the constant pressure, and except for when a Utah player fell down allowing a nice big gain play happen, USC couldn't do much.

Congrats Skinny!

You're lucky you weren't cursed by playing in raiders home :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:49 am I'm so pissed that Williams was kept in the game for so long. Don't risk that kid's future when he's so obviously hurt.
USC's o-line simply gave up and were just allowing straight shots at Williams for Utah's defense for most of the 4th quarter. Kinda felt bad for him but...nah.

(Yes, i know he does it for everyone they play)

Also, some dude just lost $900,000. :lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Two weird-ish stats. First:

Second, Utah beat the #4 ranked team in football and basketball on back-to-back nights (we beat #4 Arizona in hoops last night)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:43 pm I may regret writing this, but I also don't think UGA is as dominant this year as they were last year. I'd still peg them as the favorites, but they're not unbeatable.
Definitely not unbeatable, but to my eyes a very noticeably stronger, tighter team than last year (unless they have key players out due to injury, no idea there, but they also probably have a deep bench).

They’ve been our first conference game every year for…decades (?), and I don’t think I’ve seen them look better than they did this year.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I was wrong about no Corum making OSU unbeatable but I'll double down and say no way they win two playoff games without him.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
JCC

Post by JCC »

I think the 12 team playoff will be much better. First off, with it in place, a team like USC isn't punished for making their championship game and losing it. But, best of all, the barrier to entry is loosened up a lot. Only 13 total teams have participated in 12 playoffs. This will allow more teams to at least get a chance to play in it. Giving more fan bases more hope to be relevant is good for CFB.

Plus, personally I am totally over the dumb bowl games. They are all meaningless exhibition games, that often has at least one team in there who doesn't give a shit and any NFL prospects (smartly) don't bother to even play in them.

Will the expanded playoff result in more new champions? Maybe, maybe not. But just giving more teams hope is an improvement.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Why did the field in the Raider's stadium look like crap? Parts of the turf looked like it was worn away.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

@Skinypupy congratulations on the big win. Amazing how the seasons diverged concerning Utah and Florida after the first game.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Apollo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:09 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:01 pm ...This will be even more apparent with ESPN getting shut out of the new B1G media contracts...
When your conference has won 12 of the last 16 CFB national titles, including the last three (with three different teams, no less) I think a little bias is warranted.
Shhhhh!!! Wrong thread, bro. You'll want the real NCAA thread...this is the (shadow) "We Hateses the SEC because ESPN loves it so" thread. :P

Edit: FWIW I do think they go overboard, and I actually cringe every time I hear "it just means more" or whatever the phrase is. EVEN if that's true, it's obnoxious. Now admittedly I am watching the SEC ESPN subchannel, so.... But still, I just don't like the homerism that they are obviously trying to gin up in various ways. No idea if that happens on the other ESPN conference channels.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

WYBaugh wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:19 pm @Skinypupy congratulations on the big win. Amazing how the seasons diverged concerning Utah and Florida after the first game.
For sure. That Florida loss is still frustrating. I mean, I get it - first game with no game film against a new coach in a crazy hostile environment on a cross-country road trip in heat/humidity - but Utah still should have done better.

Can’t wait to get the Gators in Salt Lake next year. If you happen to make it out for that game, beer’s on me. 😊
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Loved the game last night. Riley's USC looks like the OU teams he coached and he got slaughtered by a more physical team just like at OU. :D

This year there seems to be only 2 teams worthy, Michigan ans Georgia, and it is often that way. Expanding to 12 will make it more interesting but that doesn't mean all the teams are worthy.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, gutsy call by TCU to go for the TD in OT. Gutsier goal line stand by Kansas State.

More CHAOS!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:07 pm Wow, gutsy call by TCU to go for the TD in OT. Gutsier goal line stand by Kansas State.

More CHAOS!
So your QB runs wild at the end of the game and in OT you keep handing it off.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I still think TCU is in with that loss. Would be stupid to jump a 2-loss Bama over them, but I’m sure ESPN will find a way.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I think TCU will be rooting for Georgia to blow out LSU.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:14 pm I still think TCU is in with that loss. Would be stupid to jump a 2-loss Bama over them, but I’m sure ESPN will find a way.
It's all according if you want the best teams in or the more deserving. ESPN I've been watching is hyping up TCU hard even after the loss. I don't think Bama deserves a spot due to the bad defensive play, but I think they are better than TCU and probably would be favored over TCU if they play head-to-head. But I think TCU is in. I think it will be UGA vs TCU and rematch of Mich vs OSU. UGA by 24 and Mich by 3.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:14 pm I still think TCU is in with that loss. Would be stupid to jump a 2-loss Bama over them, but I’m sure ESPN will find a way.
It's all according if you want the best teams in or the more deserving. ESPN I've been watching is hyping up TCU hard even after the loss. I don't think Bama deserves a spot due to the bad defensive play, but I think they are better than TCU and probably would be favored over TCU if they play head-to-head. But I think TCU is in. I think it will be UGA vs TCU and rematch of Mich vs OSU. UGA by 24 and Mich by 3.
The other thing about Bama is the question of who have they beaten? Ohio St at least has top 10 PennSt and ND scalps.

The Bama argument is their losses, not their wins.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

PS congrats Skiny!

I was on radio silence. Took a nap after work last night, watched the UCLA women get to the College Cup championship last night, and the first half of the Pac12 championship, then taped the USA- Netherlands match this morning (tho my neighbor ruined it , even after I told him not to say anything because I'd taped it). Then fished the Pac12 game, caught the OT on the Big12...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So with Fresno State’s win over Boise State on the ugly blue turf today they moved to 9-4 after starting 1-4.

I was surprised to hear the Fox announcers hinting that maybe next year Fresno could be in another conference, hinting at the PAC. I know that was rumored but until it happens I won’t believe it.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:41 pm So with Fresno State’s win over Boise State on the ugly blue turf today they moved to 9-4 after starting 1-4.

I was surprised to hear the Fox announcers hinting that maybe next year Fresno could be in another conference, hinting at the PAC. I know that was rumored but until it happens I won’t believe it.
Hell of a turnaround, very cool.

Michigan certainly not looking like world beaters in this first half. The outcome won’t affect the rankings, but does throw a wrench into the whole “there are only a couple worthy teams in the country” narrative.

Edit: Good lord, this Saban begging, er, interview is pathetic. “But Brice Young was hurt! But we lost on the road! But the circumstances were different for us! But we played 5 road games! But we finished 3-0! But we’re in the SEC!:roll:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Well, at least Purdue put up more of a fight than OSU.
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:43 pm Michigan certainly not looking like world beaters in this first half. The outcome won’t affect the rankings, but does throw a wrench into the whole “there are only a couple worthy teams in the country” narrative.
Not really if you've been paying attention to how Michigan has rolled through the Big Ten (ignoring Michigan's garbage non-conference schedule since it was garbage).

Maryland: Halftime - UM 17-MD 13 - Final UM 34-MD 27
Iowa: Halftime - UM 13-Iowa 0 - Final UM 27-Iowa 14
Indiana: Halftime - UM 10-IU 10 - Final UM 31-IU 10
Penn State: Halftime - UM 16-PSU 14 - Final UM 41-PSU 17
Michigan State: Halftime - UM 13-MSU 7 - Final UM 29-MSU 7
Rutgers: Halftime - UM 14-RU 17 - Final UM 52-RU 17
Nebraska: Halftime - UM 17-NU 3 - Final UM 34-NU 3
Illinois: Halftime - UM 7-UI 3 - Final UM 19-UI 17
Ohio State: Halftime - UM 17-OSU 20 - Final UM 45-OSU 23
Purdue: Halftime - Halftime - UM 14-Purdue13 - Final UM 43-Purdue 22

It's how Michigan is built. There are fewer possessions per game due to long drives, which limits separation in the first half. Then, if Michigan's strategy has worked, the opponent is worn down in the second half allowing Michigan to build a lead. The Purdue game played out pretty much how Michigan's Big Ten games played out, so it really shouldn't have an impact on how Michigan is perceived. The outliers are Maryland (closer score due to garbage time points) and Illinois (second half played without either Corum or Edwards). I don't know if this will hold up against TCU or UGA, but the Purdue game shouldn't impact the perception of Michigan if you've been watching Michigan all year.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lassr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:39 pm
I don't think it's that black and white. I think it's a mixture of "best" and "deserving". This year I'd argue that Alabama is neither best nor deserving, but even if they were best I'd rather see a really, really good team that has beat all comers over a "better" team that has dropped a couple of games (and, frankly, should have probably dropped another). That said, I wouldn't want to see UCF from a few years ago in a 4-team field even though they "deserved" it since they won all their games.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:20 am Well, at least Purdue put up more of a fight than OSU.
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:43 pm Michigan certainly not looking like world beaters in this first half. The outcome won’t affect the rankings, but does throw a wrench into the whole “there are only a couple worthy teams in the country” narrative.
Not really if you've been paying attention to how Michigan has rolled through the Big Ten (ignoring Michigan's garbage non-conference schedule since it was garbage).

Maryland: Halftime - UM 17-MD 13 - Final UM 34-MD 27
Iowa: Halftime - UM 13-Iowa 0 - Final UM 27-Iowa 14
Indiana: Halftime - UM 10-IU 10 - Final UM 31-IU 10
Penn State: Halftime - UM 16-PSU 14 - Final UM 41-PSU 17
Michigan State: Halftime - UM 13-MSU 7 - Final UM 29-MSU 7
Rutgers: Halftime - UM 14-RU 17 - Final UM 52-RU 17
Nebraska: Halftime - UM 17-NU 3 - Final UM 34-NU 3
Illinois: Halftime - UM 7-UI 3 - Final UM 19-UI 17
Ohio State: Halftime - UM 17-OSU 20 - Final UM 45-OSU 23
Purdue: Halftime - Halftime - UM 14-Purdue13 - Final UM 43-Purdue 22

It's how Michigan is built. There are fewer possessions per game due to long drives, which limits separation in the first half. Then, if Michigan's strategy has worked, the opponent is worn down in the second half allowing Michigan to build a lead. The Purdue game played out pretty much how Michigan's Big Ten games played out, so it really shouldn't have an impact on how Michigan is perceived. The outliers are Maryland (closer score due to garbage time points) and Illinois (second half played without either Corum or Edwards). I don't know if this will hold up against TCU or UGA, but the Purdue game shouldn't impact the perception of Michigan if you've been watching Michigan all year.
Yeah, this was the first Michigan I’ve really sat down and watched this year. It just wasn’t terribly impressive in the first half, but they got it done in the second.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:lol: :lol:
JCC

Post by JCC »

The most outrageous thing about yesterday's football was when the Dr Pepper challenge needed a 2nd OT, and they just announced a winner from some BS they did the day before. Heaven forbid you interrupt this mildly amusing contest that is a Dr Pepper ad so you can jump to an actual Dr Pepper ad we've already seen around 173 times that day. I am OUTRAGED I tell you!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kinda feels like we should just move on entirely from kids chucking footballs into oversized soda bottles so they can afford an education.

But maybe that's just me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. tOSU

Got it right, imo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
Congratulations to Reagan, but #JusticeForKayla hit Twitter as soon as the results were announced.

Apparently Dr Pepper heard the outcries on social media as it was announced later in the broadcast of the game that both contestants will be awarded $100,000 in tuition money. Justice was swift this time.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Not how I would have wanted the season to end, but still being #3 is exciting! We'll probably get curb stomped by the boys in blue, but as for Sonny Dykes and my Frogs, I think we'll put up a fight. Max Duggan has no quit in him, and he will literally die on that field rather than lose this second chance.

Good luck, Lawboy, we'll see you in the Fiesta Bowl in a month!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hyena wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:43 pm I would LOVE to see a TCU v. Michigan game, myself. I'm not sure we could beat y'all, but I think it would be one helluva matchup between the #4 offense in the country vs. the #3 defense. I think your #22 offense would be able to put up points on us willy-nilly (until the second half, at least, when our DC wakes up from his nap), but I think we'd get our fair share of points in, too. It would be a fun watch, that's for certain.
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:00 pm I'm up for it! If both teams keep winning maybe we'll see you in the playoffs!
We did it!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:21 pm
Hyena wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:43 pm I would LOVE to see a TCU v. Michigan game, myself. I'm not sure we could beat y'all, but I think it would be one helluva matchup between the #4 offense in the country vs. the #3 defense. I think your #22 offense would be able to put up points on us willy-nilly (until the second half, at least, when our DC wakes up from his nap), but I think we'd get our fair share of points in, too. It would be a fun watch, that's for certain.
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:00 pm I'm up for it! If both teams keep winning maybe we'll see you in the playoffs!
We did it!
Woo hoo!! Good luck, sir!

Which, I suppose, is a bit of a pointless comment unless you're employed by the football team in some capacity or another...'cause I sure as heck ain't... I just want a good game with no injuries.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

You guys really do need to learn how to trash talk.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Purple is a terrible color for a football team!

(It's hard to work up too much animosity toward a team we've never played!)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:16 pm Purple is a terrible color for a football team!

HAHA!

Um...Michigan is...really cold in the winter! Annnnd...uh...you guys played really tough against tOSU?

I got nothin'.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

667 players hit the transfer portal today. Previous 1-day record was 270.

Some of that is because kids all entered on one day today instead of whenever throughout the year, but it’s still a massive increase regardless.

Welcome to the new norm.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:16 pm Purple is a terrible color for a football team!

Don't you live in Chicago where the major University wears Purple? ;)

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:05 pm

Yeah, and they suck out loud!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:42 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:05 pm

Yeah, and they suck out loud!
I'd never really looked at anything about that university, but MAN that is a gorgeous campus! From the ivy-covered building to the ultra-modern one on the water, that's beautiful.

(man, I really DO suck at trash talk)

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:10 pm You guys really do need to learn how to trash talk.
LOL!