NCAA Football 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: NCAA Football 2022

Post by Skinypupy »

USCs offense is pretty amazing, but I’m left in this first half thinking the same thing I did when we played them.

I’m really glad they didn’t spend a nickel of all that NIL money on the defensive side of the ball.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:17 pm Both Michigan and Ohio State get a scare, but remain undefeated for next Saturday's Big Chill with everything on the line.
Michigan is in trouble if Corum is less than. 80% and there's a chance he doesn't even play.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Actually looking forward to SC vs Clemson for the first time in years.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:37 am Actually looking forward to SC vs Clemson for the first time in years.
I may have enjoyed that whooping of tennersee as much as you did. :D
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Very disappointing first half. Two long drives inside Oregon’s 15 that came away with zero points. Getting dominated on both lines. Can’t get any pressure on a hobbled Nix, and he’s picking us apart. Lucky to only be down 14.

Been up since 4:30 this morning though, so there’s no way I’m gonna be able to stay awake for the finish. Will check the damage in the morning and hope to be pleasantly surprised (but am mostly expecting a rout). This team plays well at home, but is just soft as hell on the road this year.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lassr wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:18 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:37 am Actually looking forward to SC vs Clemson for the first time in years.
I may have enjoyed that whooping of tennersee as much as you did. :D
We made quite a few teams happy with that. LSU probably the most. As crappy as we’ve been for…years, that felt good.

Beating Clemson again would make up for the garbage season we’ve had to date.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:19 am Very disappointing first half. Two long drives inside Oregon’s 15 that came away with zero points. Getting dominated on both lines. Can’t get any pressure on a hobbled Nix, and he’s picking us apart. Lucky to only be down 14.

Been up since 4:30 this morning though, so there’s no way I’m gonna be able to stay awake for the finish. Will check the damage in the morning and hope to be pleasantly surprised (but am mostly expecting a rout). This team plays well at home, but is just soft as hell on the road this year.
Oregon may help you.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, we were in position to win it despite 3 turnovers.

Then the 4th happened.

Was a fun game tho.

Caught the 4th quarter of Utah-Oregon. Looked like a good game, but qb turnovers also huge late.

Hats off to the winners. UW and Utah apparently still alive for Pac12 championship berth, but Oregon with the clean shot.

It has been a really fun year in the Pac12 thus far.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've figured it out! Michigan has been sandbagging its passing game all year to save the big surprise for OSU. That's why receivers have been "unable" to get separation, have been "unable" to catch contested throws, and why JJ "overthrows" wide open receivers. When we unleash the fully operational battle station on Saturday - look out!

Lots to worry about for this weekend, from the passing game to the pass rush to (most importantly) Corum's health. I'm not overly concerned about the game against Illinois. Supposedly a number of players could have played who didn't. I think the staff did the math and realized that even if we lost to Illinois, a win against OSU and in the Big Ten championship would still get a playoff invite.

I do think we open up the offense a bit, at least with respect to JJ's legs. I suspect they didn't run him too much lately because QB2 is a walk-on (McNamara recently had surgery so he's been unavailable) so there wasn't much margin for error there. For The Game, though, everything should be open.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheOSU looked pretty exposed against Maryland on Saturday. The score does not reflect the game. If it weren't for being in Buckeye country, I'd say you win on Saturday but home field is definitely a thing in college football and I think it would be (will be) the difference maker.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

So I'm just starting to fully recover from the mild cardiac infarction caused by my Horned Frogs...what a finish.

Can we keep it going in what is most assuredly a trap game, coming off an emotionally draining rivalry game victory? Who knows, but at this point in the season we're playing with house money. We were projected 7th in the conference, and yet here we are at 11-0. Can we hold our own against the "big boys"? Who knows, but being undefeated is a hard thing to do in any conference. Will we win out our last two games and make it to the CFP?

Who knows, but it's been one helluva ride so far!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:54 am Four more Spartans suspended, included Windmon, who is probably their best defensive player. I suspect that will be it for the suspensions, so it's really just a matter of whether any criminal charges are brought. One of the injured players (Gemon Green) has hired a big shot attorney (last seen in Michigan circles fighting the NCAA to get Shea Patterson immediate eligibility when he transferred) so I imagine there will be some sort of civil action as well. Green is supposedly "pressing" charges, but it's still up to the prosecutors to make any charging decisions.

As for the first poll, I'm not too shocked to see Michigan at 5. While I suspect we're better than Clemson (and most of the fancy stats would agree), this is probably a punishment for having one of the worst non-conference schedules for a Power 5 team that I can recall seeing.
Criminal charges brought:
Seven Michigan State football players are being charged with crimes stemming from the assault on two Wolverines players in Michigan Stadium's tunnel after the two teams played on Oct. 29, the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office announced Wednesday.

Defensive back Khary Crump is being charged with felonious assault after video was released showing Crump striking Michigan defensive back Gemon Green with his helmet. Defensive end Jacoby Windmon was also shown in the video and is charged with one count of assault and battery.

Itayvion Brown, Angelo Grose, Justin White, Brandon Wright and Zion Young are all being charged with aggravated assault. Video showed a mass of players surrounding Michigan defensive back Ja'Den McBurrows, hitting and kicking him while he was on the ground.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Not very huge stakes for the CFB world at large, but nearly had a heart attack watching my alma mater get an improbable win over UNC. Before UNC's final FG attempt I was standing in front of my TV clinging to one of my cats to stay calm. haha. CFB is the best. It tortures you and then sometimes brings you moments of pure joy. Is it any wonder I love it? And tomorrow is the REAL gameday!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn Pyper, that game made me nervous. :lol:

UCLA beats Cal, Utah beats Colorado, Oregon State beats Oregon, and Washington beats Wazzu, then Utah - via the 4th tiebreaker (conference strength of schedule) sneaks into the P12 title game.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:11 pm Damn Pyper, that game made me nervous. :lol:

UCLA beats Cal, Utah beats Colorado, Oregon State beats Oregon, and Washington beats Wazzu, then Utah - via the 4th tiebreaker (conference strength of schedule) sneaks into the P12 title game.
These are all possible.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh man, Ohio State is going down.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Congrats Michigan. I really had no faith in you pulling it off in hostile territory. I assumed that home field was the difference between a W and L for either team. It's been about a minute since you won down there.

At one point I was driving home about three miles from the grocer. There were three scores in that three mile drive (six, seven minutes real time?)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, did not expect such a kick ass offense by Michigan. Total 2nd half ass whooping. They have a real shot at the national championship.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:23 pm Total 2nd half ass whooping.
That's been their seasonal MO. It was not expected against a solid Ohio playing a home game and with Corum hurt. Corum has been their workhorse and has done everything asked of him and more.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Congrats to Oregon State, but Oregon and its coach gave them the game. Hubris is never good in a football team.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy crap, the Beavs pulled it off! I have just become the biggest Husky fan ever. (If Washington wins, the Utes play in the P12 championship next week).
JCC

Post by JCC »

I was in the Shoe the last time Michigan beat Ohio State in Columbus... in 2000. Just a teriffic game by Michigan. Kudos to them. Ryan Day is going to get less popular in Columbus.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

With the LSU loss, USC should easily move into the top 4. But can they stay there?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I was pleased with the outcome of The Game. I won't lie - at halftime I was thinking that we had at least kept it close for half, even though we were getting badly outplayed. I figured OSU would pull away in the second half. Apparently the Michigan staff spent halftime making adjustments, however, while the OSU staff spent the time checking their hotel reservations for Indy. Hopefully they can transfer those over easily to Michigan.

At this point I assume Georgia, Michigan, and TCU are virtual locks for the playoffs, regardless of how the championship games go. With the only remaining one-loss teams being USC and OSU, I think only TCU is in any danger of dropping out if they lose, and OSU's argument is going to be greatly weakened by getting pantsed at home to Michigan.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I would think Georgia is the only true lock at this point. But if Michigan and TCU win out they are locks. I think if USC wins out they will get on over OSU. The Buckeyes getting trounced at home really look worse than a 1 loss team.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Holy crap, the Beavs pulled it off! I have just become the biggest Husky fan ever. (If Washington wins, the Utes play in the P12 championship next week).
If the UCLA game made you nervous, you must be all over the place during this Apple Cup!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:52 am I would think Georgia is the only true lock at this point. But if Michigan and TCU win out they are locks. I think if USC wins out they will get on over OSU. The Buckeyes getting trounced at home really look worse than a 1 loss team.
Who gets in over a one-loss Michigan? Assuming UGA, TCU, and USC all win, the only other one-loss team is OSU. There's no way they're in over Michigan. Would the committee really choose a 2-loss Alabama over Michigan? I can't imagine they would unless Michigan gets absolutely smoked by Purdue.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I don’t see Michigan losing to The Boilermakers, if that is the BIG Championship game.

TCU may lose to Kansas State. USC could lose in a rematch with Utah.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:28 am USC could lose in a rematch with Utah.
I doubt it. This Utah team is the walking wounded, and I don’t think we have nearly the depth to keep up. Plus, the RES crowd had a huge influence on the first meeting, and we won’t have that advantage again.

That said, I’d love to ruin USCs payoff chances. :twisted:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just saw that David Shaw resigned at Stanford yesterday. Shame, as he was a good coach and a great guy. Figured that a team like Stanford wouldn't be able to have success in the new NIL/Transfer Portal world given their academic requirements, but it's sad for the sport to lose a guy like him.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:25 am
Scuzz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:52 am I would think Georgia is the only true lock at this point. But if Michigan and TCU win out they are locks. I think if USC wins out they will get on over OSU. The Buckeyes getting trounced at home really look worse than a 1 loss team.
Would the committee really choose a 2-loss Alabama over Michigan?
No way. I think there’s a SLIM path for Alabama, but 95% (more?) chance that Georgia is the only SEC team in the playoff this year.

You’re welcome to anyone wanting to keep Tennessee and Clemson (we REALLY hate orange) out of contention. :D

I regret that we can’t play Georgia again though with our newly found balls. I think it might be a close game. Doubtful we would win, but it would at least be close I think.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I love that even when the P12 tries to do the right thing - by eliminating the divisional format to ensure the best two teams play for the conference championship - it still manages to backfire spectacularly. If the division structure had been in place this year, USC would be playing Washington for the CCG. Which, let's be honest, would be a matchup of the two best teams in the P12 right now (seriously, how bad does that Florida loss look for Utah now?). Instead, the result of a game that ends at 2:15am ET determines a 3-way tie for second place which goes down to the 4th tiebreaker in a convoluted formula that allows Utah to go instead. How very Pac12 of us. :lol:

Also, can we please stop with the "OMG, Lincoln Riley singlehandedly turned a 4-8 team into a CFP contender!" discussion? Yes, that's the sort of turnaround that can happen when you can spend millions of dollars to just go out and buy an all-star team. The idea that he somehow managed this through grit, determination, and player development is hilarious.

Yes, I get that's how things are now. No, I don't have to like it.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I was surprised to read that the Rose Bowl will pick Washington over Utah based on rankings. So while Utah goes to the title game it is a must win for them.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote:I was surprised to read that the Rose Bowl will pick Washington over Utah based on rankings. So while Utah goes to the title game it is a must win for them.
Not if Utah wins...

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:20 pm
Scuzz wrote:I was surprised to read that the Rose Bowl will pick Washington over Utah based on rankings. So while Utah goes to the title game it is a must win for them.
Not if Utah wins...

This a must win.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:25 am
Would the committee really choose a 2-loss Alabama over Michigan?
No way. I think there’s a SLIM path for Alabama, but 95% (more?) chance that Georgia is the only SEC team in the playoff this year.
Right. Look at the scenarios if all 3 unbeatens lose their conference championships.

UGA - 12-1
Michigan - 12-1
TCU - 12-1
USC - 12-1 (assuming a win here)
OSU - 11-1
Alabama - 10-2
Tennessee - 10-2
PSU - 10-2
Washington - 10-2
Clemson - 10-2

If USC ends up losing, maybe OSU gets back in there (although maybe the committee decides not to punish USC for playing the extra game). With this scenario, the committee maybe knocks TCU out because they weren't "dominant" enough in winning all of their previous games. Again, OSU would be the likely beneficiary of this. But neither UGA or Michigan are going to fall out of the top four barring some kind of epic 30+ point loss. Even then, there's no way the committee can put OSU ahead of Michigan given the head-to-head result the week prior, so to get into the pool of two-loss teams you'd have to elevate one of them over two one-loss teams. I don't see a plausible scenario where anyone but the current top 5 get into the playoffs, and we're likely just trying to figure out whether USC or OSU gets the last spot.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:30 pm Right. Look at the scenarios if all 3 unbeatens lose their conference championships.

UGA - 12-1
Michigan - 12-1
TCU - 12-1
USC - 12-1 (assuming a win here)
OSU - 11-1
Alabama - 10-2
Tennessee - 10-2
PSU - 10-2
Washington - 10-2
Clemson - 10-2

If USC ends up losing, maybe OSU gets back in there (although maybe the committee decides not to punish USC for playing the extra game). With this scenario, the committee maybe knocks TCU out because they weren't "dominant" enough in winning all of their previous games. Again, OSU would be the likely beneficiary of this. But neither UGA or Michigan are going to fall out of the top four barring some kind of epic 30+ point loss. Even then, there's no way the committee can put OSU ahead of Michigan given the head-to-head result the week prior, so to get into the pool of two-loss teams you'd have to elevate one of them over two one-loss teams. I don't see a plausible scenario where anyone but the current top 5 get into the playoffs, and we're likely just trying to figure out whether USC or OSU gets the last spot.
Judging by these ESPN odds, OSU's going to the playoff even though they lost on Saturday. They don't need any of Georgia, Michigan, or TCU to lose.

If the unbeatens and USC all win this weekend, that should absolutely be the playoff, and USC really should be in the top 4 tomorrow, but I would not be surprised if they somehow keep OSU in the top 4 and USC out.
Last edited by pr0ner on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hodor.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Speaking as an OSU fan, no matter what happens this week OSU absolutely does not deserve to make the playoffs after the second half they had against that team. It was pathetic, especially considering they were the home team.
FTE
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yeah, that's just silly by ESPN. Best I can figure is that their models have USC losing in the Pac 12 championship, which would boost OSU back in. Something is clearly broken there, though.

I think USC is in the top 4 tomorrow. The polls all put them there and I just don't see the committee keeping OSU in the hypothetical field after losing by 22 at home. If the committee decides to something goofy, I figure it will be putting Michigan at 1 and dropping UGA to 2 (although I doubt that will actually happen - I just think it's more likely than OSU getting the 4 slot). In any event, even if the committee keeps OSU at 4, if USC wins next week they'll be in - being conference champion is supposed to be one of the differentiators in the final rankings.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah USC's only loss is by 1 on a last second 2pt conversion in the final minute on the road, and if they win, they will have beaten everyone on their schedule.

That will make them the top 1- loss team in the country, period.