NCAA Football 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: NCAA Football 2022

Post by Scuzz »

JCC wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:55 pm Notre Dame is the domino that if/when it falls and they give up independence for the Big "10", the entire ACC will fall apart. I would guess once ND breaks out of the ACC rights deal (which they can do for much less than the other members can), all of the other members will immediately say that their current rights' deal with the league is no longer valid since they all signed it believing ND would play 5 games against ACC teams for the duration of the deal. The problem is, only a handful (at most) of teams are going to be invited to the "big leagues". So, I would guess, the end result will be a "power 3" where the third is the best scraps of the Big 12/ACC/Pac 12. Still, who knows?

It's such a chaotic time in CFB now. I find it both exciting and worrying.
Okay, I don’t know what NDs value is to the ACC or NBC. I think it has by percentage gone down over the years to MNC, and they have not been part of the ACC long enough to mean anything. ND would be worth much more to the B10 as they play many of those teams anyway.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:22 am Okay, I don’t know what NDs value is to the ACC or NBC. I think it has by percentage gone down over the years to MNC, and they have not been part of the ACC long enough to mean anything. ND would be worth much more to the B10 as they play many of those teams anyway.
ND would be worth FAR MORE to the ACC if they would join full time (which they won't). It would arguably save the conference from falling apart - which seems inevitable unless the Big 10 and SEC are truly "done" expanding. The Big 10 would add them in a second, but the Big 10 doesn't NEED ND like the ACC needs them. ND will stay independent if they can get "enough" revenue to make the gap between that and what the Big 10 pay out would be tolerable.

I think most people believe that in the long term the SEC and Big 10 will snap up the most valuable teams remaining in the Big 12/Pac12/ACC, or the other 3 will dissolve into some big conference attempting to be the final piece of the "Big 3".

But, who knows? Things seem to change all the time.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

As I understand it, NBC will typically overpay for Notre Dame's rights because it's worth more than the advertising it brings in. It also gives NBC a high profile place to promote its own shows and Peacock and the like. I don't know how much they're willing to overpay, but that's part of the equation.

ND needs to be careful here and think big picture/long run. They might be able to get a deal worth $75M+ for the short term, but what happens to their program when they're the only major power outside of a super conference? I would imagine that super conferences would need to play more in-conference games to justify claiming that they're in the same conference (as it is teams can go years and years without playing), so are they really going to want to add a challenging non-conference game to the schedule? Particularly when they would likely need to schedule a home-and-home to get it? ND could see itself fading back into irrelevance after doing a pretty good job of resurrecting themselves under Brian Kelly.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The other factor is what if the B1G/SEC just decide to skip the College Football Playoff and have their own playoff tourney and lock everyone else out?

From their (anticipated) perch when the CFP contract/format expires in a couple of years, if they can't dictate the terms, why not walk away and go it alone? That's an irrelevance ND probably won't want to even consider...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

The SEC and Big 10 will be dictating the terms of the CFP. The ACC and Pac 12 were absolutely idiotic to vote against the system the SEC was pushing. Now, it is in the Big 10/SEC's interests to not have any automatic qualifiers - which there were going to be 5 for the power 5 champs and maybe 1 for the best Group of 5 champ. That is definitely not happening now.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:23 am The other factor is what if the B1G/SEC just decide to skip the College Football Playoff and have their own playoff tourney and lock everyone else out?

From their (anticipated) perch when the CFP contract/format expires in a couple of years, if they can't dictate the terms, why not walk away and go it alone? That's an irrelevance ND probably won't want to even consider...
While I do believe the SEC and B1G will dictate terms for a CFP I don't see them locking out other power conferences that might still exist. It would be even too egotistical for them to claim a national title when conferences that had title winners were not allowed to compete.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:23 am The other factor is what if the B1G/SEC just decide to skip the College Football Playoff and have their own playoff tourney and lock everyone else out?

While I do believe the SEC and B1G will dictate terms for a CFP I don't see them locking out other power conferences that might still exist. It would be even too egotistical for them to claim a national title when conferences that had title winners were not allowed to compete.
Define "other power conferences". Fact is that 80+% of the power teams will now be in the B1G/SEC (the allegedly power teams remaining are Clemson, Oregon, UW, FSU, Miami and, of course, ND). Why should they only accept say, 75% of the money? Especially if ND jumps and pulls Ore/UW/+1 with them (I'd give the edge to Stanford as that +1). More likely is that they have a B1G/SEC invitational tourney, where they'll allow 1 wild card berth and the rest to be filled with B1G/SEC schools, and keep more of the money.

I don't see what's left in the Big 12 as having a power team once Texas/OU start SEC play, and given recent performance and small enrollment/attendance, Miami is teetering -a lot more than FSU, IMHO.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:23 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm

Define "other power conferences". Fact is that 80+% of the power teams will now be in the B1G/SEC (the allegedly power teams remaining are Clemson, Oregon, UW, FSU, Miami and, of course, ND). Why should they only accept say, 75% of the money? Especially if ND jumps and pulls Ore/UW/+1 with them (I'd give the edge to Stanford as that +1). More likely is that they have a B1G/SEC invitational tourney, where they'll allow 1 wild card berth and the rest to be filled with B1G/SEC schools, and keep more of the money.

I don't see what's left in the Big 12 as having a power team once Texas/OU start SEC play, and given recent performance and small enrollment/attendance, Miami is teetering -a lot more than FSU, IMHO.
By that I meant whatever was left of PAC12, Big12 and ACC. I really don’t see the SEC and B1G sporting 20 teams each,
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

In normal CFB news, Tennessee re-hires Phil Fulmer and immediately jumps to #1 in the Fulmer Cup Standings again!
The bottom line: a 16–19 record (which will get worse after the Vols vacate victories) and a whopping 18 NCAA Level I violations levied in a notice of allegations that was delivered Friday.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm It would be even too egotistical for them to claim a national title when conferences that had title winners were not allowed to compete.
The World Series.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:36 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm It would be even too egotistical for them to claim a national title when conferences that had title winners were not allowed to compete.
The World Series.
It was called that before black players were allowed to play.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It's Football Eve (for me, anyways)! Looking forward to seeing how Utah fares in a very hostile Swamp tomorrow night. I'm not nearly as high on this team as many of the pundits have been, but would really love to be wrong. Our offense will be solid, but I think the defense has some big question marks. We'll be good and maybe even NY6 good, but I don't think we're CFP good. We'll see.

In other news.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
JCC

Post by JCC »

The two marquee games last night were both a lot of fun! So happy the only sport I still care about is back! Excited for tomorrow!
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:21 am
The World Series.
:confusion-confused:
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:09 pm The two marquee games last night were both a lot of fun! So happy the only sport I still care about is back! Excited for tomorrow!
Bummed I couldn't watch. I saw highlights though, looked like great games.

Saturday should be fun.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Well, well, well. The 12 team playoff got approved today. The same format the Big 10, Pac 12, and ACC objected to earlier. (6 conference champs + 6 at large teams). I am surprised the Big 10 and SEC would still support that now, but whatever. Playoff starts in 2026 at the latest. Maybe as early as 2024 if ducks can get in a row.
Black Lives Matter

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:46 pm
Scuzz wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:21 am
The World Series.
:confusion-confused:
I think I was being sarcastic that it was called the World Series when even Americans of color couldn’t play in it. No way the Japanese could.

Other than that I got nothing. 🧐
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

JCC wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:57 pm Well, well, well. The 12 team playoff got approved today. The same format the Big 10, Pac 12, and ACC objected to earlier. (6 conference champs + 6 at large teams). I am surprised the Big 10 and SEC would still support that now, but whatever. Playoff starts in 2026 at the latest. Maybe as early as 2024 if ducks can get in a row.
The B1G and SEC could have 3-4 teams playing.
Last edited by Scuzz on Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:It's Football Eve (for me, anyways)! Looking forward to seeing how Utah fares in a very hostile Swamp tomorrow night. I'm not nearly as high on this team as many of the pundits have been, but would really love to be wrong. Our offense will be solid, but I think the defense has some big question marks. We'll be good and maybe even NY6 good, but I don't think we're CFP good. We'll see.

In other news.

We should give you a run for the Pac-12 this year if the defense can come together.

As long as DTR doesn't get injured again for our game with you all.

Any chance you might come out to LA for the game this year?

JCC

Post by JCC »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:43 pm The B1G and SEC could have 3-4 teams playing.
Without the automatic qualifiers for 6 conferences they could have 10-12 teams playing. Hence, my susprise they approved this. Sankey of the SEC recently had a press conference where he all but said the automatic qualifier was off the table. (Maybe that was a tactic to get the stragglers on board.) Of course, I get it. More money, more quickly. And when the Big 10 / SEC go full on premiere league, they will (still) eventually get (almost) all the money.
Black Lives Matter

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I would think in a average year the SEC could have 4-5 teams in the top 12. B1G maybe 2-3. Sure auto qualifiers might reduce that but even conference champions will need a high ranking to be automatically in.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ECUs kicker missed an extra point that would have tied the game against #13 NC State. Oof.

They make a stop and get it back into FG range…and he misses a 40-yard game winner with :03 left. Double oof.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yes ECU's kicker was definitely the MVP for NC State today. As a State fan, this game was so predictable - except us winning after trying to gift the game away. I was livid when State didn't kick the chip shot field goal, and it should have cost us the game.

But a win is a win so go Pack!
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I really thought Oregon would at least put up a fight. This is just sad
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just turned it on to see the last 5m of the game.

Wow.

What is the point of pre-season rankings again? Not a dig at either team, I just think they are a bit stupid.

I wonder how many top 20 ranked teams getting absolutely curb-stomped the first game it would take to get ‘them’ to stop doing it.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

They won’t stop the early ranking. It’s used for PR and promoting the games.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:03 pm They won’t stop the early ranking. It’s used for PR and promoting the games.
Yep. Gives something to talk about during the summer sports wasteland.

I wish they wouldn’t release anything until after the first 2-3 games, but it’ll never happen.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Gator fan here...these refs suck
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

WYBaugh wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:20 pm Gator fan here...these refs suck
Yes. Yes they do.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Wow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Shit. Hell of a game from Florida and Richardson. That goal line stand was the difference.

I was encouraged by lots of what we saw from Utah, but that’s a brutal loss.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Shit. Hell of a game from Florida and Richardson. That goal line stand was the difference.

I was encouraged by lots of what we saw from Utah, but that’s a brutal loss.
Yeah, it took a bit too long to get the running game going, and your Lbs looked slow. Not sure if that was Florida speed or not, but it killed you against their qb running and scrambling.

We looked really good with a bunch of early mental mistakes which put us down ten before we turned it on and went 38-0 the rest of the way.

JCC

Post by JCC »

It was very nice of the Pac 12 to virtually eliminate itself from playoff contention on opening weekend.
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You know you’re a nothing to ESPN when your opening game doesn’t even make the ESPN NCAA conference sub-channel LOL.

Took me 15m to figure out how to even see my game (SEC Network+).

Would have been pissed to have had to pay for ESPN+ (which is a DIFFERENT thing) to watch a game against Georgia State. Thankfully SEC+ is included with YouTube TV (but NOT ESPN+?!). What a freaking mess.

national network (CBS, NBC, etc)
ESPN
ESPN sub/conference network (SEC, ACC, et al)
ESPN+
ESPN+ Sub/conference network (SEC+, ACC+, et al)

I don’t remember seeing ESPN+ sub-channels for each conference last year, but maybe I just never needed to. Are they new this season?
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As always when we play a “blue blood” program, I’m struck by the gap in sheer athleticism. Florida has 16 blue chip (4 or 5-star recruits) starters with double that waiting in the wings. Utah has 17 blue chip players on its entire rooster. Good coaching can make up for some of that difference (and I think Whitt is better at that than most), but it’s gonna catch up eventually.

I fear that gap is simply going to continue to increase as realignment shuffles everything around. A team like Utah can jump up and bite one or twice a decade maybe, but there’s simply no way to consistently compete with that athleticism gap. Florida was 1 second faster, got 6” more push, and was one step ahead on every play.

All that said, we were in a position to win and Rising simply did the one thing he couldn’t do: stare down a receiver and try to force it into triple-coverage. If Utah’s going to make the step to the next level that they seem close to, those sort of mistakes can’t happen.

I still think this could be a fun season and I still think Utah will be in the mix for the P12, but we’re simply not at an elite level. And that’s ok.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I absolutely loathe Florida. I cheer for The University of Tennessee and whoever is playing Florida.

Having said that, I was impressed with Florida. Much faster and stronger than I anticipated. A break here and there and Utah wins that. I would have liked Utah to go for it on 4th and 3 early in the game instead of a fg, to match what Florida had done. I was also not a fan of the 2 point conversion play call. Man I wanted Utah to pull that off.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:lol: :lol:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

After watching the end of the game neither team deserved to win last night, I'm fully out on however college football reviews plays. There is no reason at all there should be TEN MINUTES between plays. Especially with one second on the clock. I don't know how the announcers could hype up that drama with so much "rah rah college football is the best thing ever" nonsense with how that game ended.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:19 am I don't know how the announcers could hype up that drama with so much "rah rah college football is the best thing ever" nonsense with how that game ended.
They get paid decent money to do so.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:14 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:19 am I don't know how the announcers could hype up that drama with so much "rah rah college football is the best thing ever" nonsense with how that game ended.
They get paid decent money to do so.
:lol:
Hodor.