Hurricanes, Droughts and other Significant Weather 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: Hurricanes, Droughts and other Significant Weather 2022

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:36 am
em2nought wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:51 am I hope we get some rain from this as the sprinkler pumps have been down since Ian. I don't want to get a special assessment for new grass in the entire community. LOL Companies don't seem able to make a decent pump anymore. :think:
"special assessment for new grass"? What's that? It isn't your sprinkler pump?
Sounds like he lives in a community where the HOA takes care of all the lawn care. If all their grass dies, everyone will be asked to pony up for new lawns for everyone.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:47 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:36 am
em2nought wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:51 am I hope we get some rain from this as the sprinkler pumps have been down since Ian. I don't want to get a special assessment for new grass in the entire community. LOL Companies don't seem able to make a decent pump anymore. :think:
"special assessment for new grass"? What's that? It isn't your sprinkler pump?
Sounds like he lives in a community where the HOA takes care of all the lawn care. If all their grass dies, everyone will be asked to pony up for new lawns for everyone.
My parents-in-law lived in one of those places. Funny I didn't think of it. We are going into the dry season, even with sprinklers my lawn gets somewhat brown.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Planned a trip to Orlando to get away from all the bullshit and now they are calling for a tropical storm. I'm so freaking bummed. This is the second time I'm trying to go to Universal and the second time it's a freaking tropical storm/hurricane. I get it that it's the weather around there but this stinks. :evil:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:24 pm Planned a trip to Orlando to get away from all the bullshit and now they are calling for a tropical storm. I'm so freaking bummed. This is the second time I'm trying to go to Universal and the second time it's a freaking tropical storm/hurricane. I get it that it's the weather around there but this stinks. :evil:
Yeah, it looks like Tuesday through Friday will be windy and rainy, although not dangerously so.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Wednesday-Saturday are the days we were going to hit the parks. It looks like Saturday will be fine. That was the most important day as that's when they start the Christmas lights. Fingers crossed. I just hope I don't have a problem with my fight on Tuesday. Doesn't look like we should. We fly back on Sunday which seems in the clear so far. I have been checking the weather daily and it was fine until I checked this morning. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Flooding, heavy rains to sock the Bahamas and Florida this week
A large area of low pressure, designated Invest 98L by the National Hurricane Center, is developing north of the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. This low will gradually grow more organized this week and is likely to become a named tropical or subtropical storm that will affect the Bahamas and Florida on Tuesday through Thursday. Beginning on Tuesday, Florida’s Atlantic coast will experience widespread minor to moderate coastal flooding, beach erosion, gusty squalls, and the potential for heavy rain. The system’s large size and non-tropical origin will make rapid intensification unlikely. However, 98L could hit Florida as a strong tropical or subtropical storm, and a category 1 hurricane cannot be ruled out. Late in the week, 98L is expected to move to the north and bring heavy rains to much of the Southeast U.S. coast.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
The arrival of the full moon on Tuesday will bring some of the highest tides of the year – the king tides. During the time of high tide through Wednesday, onshore flow in advance of 98L is likely to drive minor to moderate coastal flooding at many locations along the Southeast U.S. coast. The high tides between 7-9 a.m. EST Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will be particularly elevated from the king tides, and the odds of coastal flooding will be increased at those times.

NOAA is predicting that a storm surge of 3-3.5 feet could affect the northeastern Florida coast at Fernandina on Wednesday, during both the morning and evening high tides. A storm surge of 2-2.5 feet and moderate coastal flooding are predicted at Charleston, SC, during the morning high tides on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya looks like I might get 1.5 days without pouring rain. If Saturday stays the same that will at least save the trip. Freaking bummed.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Looks like you're going to get your rain :roll:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our rainfall normalized enough in October to lift us out of drought to "abnormally dry." But there's no rain in the forecast for the first half of November, and we set record high temps this weekend, so unless some of that tropical rainfall shimmies up the coast we're flirting with drought here again.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:11 pm
Looks like you're going to get your rain :roll:
Hopefully that's all. The new roof is so pretty. :doh:

Yes I have an HOA, I inherited from my mom. For myself I'm averse to the practice when in the USA at least. Too expensive having others make monetary decisions for you. For instance they just trimmed all the trees knowing that the pumps weren't working so the trees are probably stressed. Just before hurricane season being the proper time to trim trees, not end October so the snowbirds coming back for winter think it looks pretty.
Stop funding for NPR
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rainfall estimates:

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Cool. We had company this weekend, so I wasn’t really plugged in to what was happening. Now we’re in the cone.

I still have a large pile of debris from Ian in my front yard, so I have to take care of that. And this is the last week of the season for my daughters swim lessons. So it looks like that is going to get wiped out.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If I could cancel my trip I would, but it's not really refundable at all so ya... I'm super worried that I'll be stuck in Atlanta for 2 days. We fly from NJ to GA tomorrow night for a connecting flight to Orlando. We would get to Orlando at 12:30 AM. That "should" be before it gets bad, but if it gets cancelled? I'm stuck in Atlanta for 2 days or I get a rental car and plane trains and automobile it though the tropical storm. It's a 6 hour drive. (Without a tropical storm) :lol:

I really need to stop planning trips to that area. It's really just not fun and usually ends in a mess.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Having driven many a time from Atlanta to Orlando (and thence to home) it isn't a bad drive.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't see why they would cancel the flight, but ya that's our backup plan. Going to be a super fun trip. ;)

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:36 pm I don't see why they would cancel the flight, but ya that's our backup plan. Going to be a super fun trip. ;)
Assuming you're flying into OIA, there might be a problem in that all their runways are north-south. If the storm moves in south of Orlando the counter-clockwise rotation would likely generate winds from the east, a direct crosswind on the runways. However, per the NHC, it would seem that Orlando won't be seeing tropical force winds until sometime Wednesday.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And speaking of wind speeds:

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And here's the latest path info from the NHC:

Enlarge Image

Glad we went to the beach up at New Smyrna today :roll: :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Takes one look at Pensacola and nopes the fuck out.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

That path has us taking a direct hit. Gross.

I'm running out to the grocery store tonight because we have almost nothing to eat in this house currently. Then I guess tomorrow I'll be hanging some hurricane shutters unless this things changes direction.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Latest update from the NWS Southern Region Tropical Webpage, with Port St Lucie selected.

Last edited by jztemple2 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The good thing about procrastination is that my storm panels are still in my Sienna from September. :lol:
Stop funding for NPR
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I feel so bad for my mom - she's down in Orlando this week for her big Disney vacation she's been looking forward to for months. First time at Disney without a bunch of kids or grandkids in tow, just her and her friend. Looks like she's going to be spending it in torrential downpours.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

This weather better not interfere with my plans of gorging myself on free Veteran's Day meal offerings. :lol:
Stop funding for NPR
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Heavy rain in SoCal today. This is the wettest drought on record.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just went to check my mail and it is blowing quite strongly, even though the storm is about 36 hours from landfall. This is beginning to look quite serious with possible hurricane force winds here Wednesday night through Thursday day.

Very good article, lots of excellent info: Tropical Storm Nicole intensifying as it heads towards the Bahamas and Florida. And it's not just Florida, they are looking at over eight feet of storm surge in Charleston SC :shock:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Check out the two "ow.ly" links, there's lots of good info there for folks affected by the storm.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And for those who might be visiting Universal :wink:

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I put up half of my shutters this afternoon. The rest of the windows are pretty well protected. I just hope we don’t lose power for any extended period of time. I’m so far behind with work I need to be able to get stuff done!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YellowKing wrote:I feel so bad for my mom - she's down in Orlando this week for her big Disney vacation she's been looking forward to for months. First time at Disney without a bunch of kids or grandkids in tow, just her and her friend. Looks like she's going to be spending it in torrential downpours.
If the track holds up it's not that terrible. Wednesday after through Thursday afternoon. I'm still going to try and hit the parks both days in the afternoon. Friday and Saturday are fine. Looks like I'll be able to hit City Walk Thursday and Friday night so barring a flight dealy from Atlanta we should be fine.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:25 pm And for those who might be visiting Universal :wink:
That's next month.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Meal wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:31 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:25 pm And for those who might be visiting Universal :wink:
That's next month.
Well, somebody has to be visiting Universal :wink:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I went to Disney in July so this will be an interesting comparison. This will be my third time to Universal. 2-3 had a hurricane. :) Oh well it looks like we'll still have some good days. I'm super excited about Saturday with a the Christmas lights up.

At least I don't have to deal with the bs Genie system. Get up at 7am to pick rides? F off. Just f off.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:19 pm This will be my third time to Universal.
Yeah, next month will be about my sixth time. My girls used to live in Florida, so they're well over two-dozen together. The only time I did Disney, was pre-EPCOT.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Meal wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:28 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:19 pm This will be my third time to Universal.
Yeah, next month will be about my sixth time. My girls used to live in Florida, so they're well over two-dozen together. The only time I did Disney, was pre-EPCOT.
Good gosh, I didn't think they allowed people to go that long without seeing the mouse :wink:

My wife and I never have gone to Universal as she's always been a big Disney World fan, although with the rising prices and her health we've skipped it for the past few years...

She does have a special relationship with WDW, as she was there the day it opened in 1971. She worked for a local newspaper and was always called upon to escort visiting VIPs, and especially their families, to the place. And she had a friend who would give her guest passes. She figured that in the first several years she visited 80-90 times. We visited EPCOT not long after it opened and MGM Studios (now Hollywood Studios) only a couple of days after it opened. She wasn't as interested in Animal Kingdom but we've gone there a number of times too. Eventually when I retired we used our annual passes a lot, just drove over there (45 minutes), went around a park for a couple of hours, did a ride or two and had a churro then went home. It's a lot more fun than walking around a mall :wink:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

After the weather today, my mom was in the mood to never visit Disney again. :D I had to talk her down from the ledge and convinced her she can salvage the back half of the trip. She's not leaving until Sunday, so she should be able to get at least 2-3 days of decent weather in.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:21 pm After the weather today, my mom was in the mood to never visit Disney again. :D I had to talk her down from the ledge and convinced her she can salvage the back half of the trip. She's not leaving until Sunday, so she should be able to get at least 2-3 days of decent weather in.
Heck, it wasn't even that bad today :shock:. Certainly not compared to what is coming tomorrow and Thursday.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Meanwhile, for our friends in the northeast:
Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So maybe an inch, inch-and-a-half of rain here. We need it. Thank you, FL.