Hurricanes, Droughts and other Significant Weather 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Hurricanes, Droughts and other Significant Weather 2022

Post by jztemple2 »

Hurricane season doesn't start till June 1st (used to be June 30th, but global warming) and we already have an area of interest. Only 10% chance of development but it is a good reminder that nasty weather is eventually coming.

Note, image removed because they updated it and now there's nothing to see :roll:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
em2nought

Re: Hurricane Season 2022

Post by em2nought »

Great, maybe they should wait until November to repair our hail damage now that hurricane season is here? :think:
https://www.sciencealert.com/in-a-cruel ... hurricanes
Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:09 am Great, maybe they should wait until November to repair our hail damage now that hurricane season is here? :think:
https://www.sciencealert.com/in-a-cruel ... hurricanes
Enlarge Image
Yeah, I saw that article about how cleaner air is making for more hurricanes. Just one damn thing after another :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 pm Note, image removed because they updated it and now there's nothing to see
Don’t Be A Hotlinker: Isgrimnur’s Guide to Rehosting Images
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 pm Hurricane season doesn't start till June 1st (used to be June 30th, but global warming)
I thought hurricane season has had the same dates since the 60s? I've seen talk of moving the start of hurricane season to mid-May, but the NHC has pushed back on that.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msteelers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:27 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 pm Hurricane season doesn't start till June 1st (used to be June 30th, but global warming)
I thought hurricane season has had the same dates since the 60s? I've seen talk of moving the start of hurricane season to mid-May, but the NHC has pushed back on that.
The Atlantic hurricane season has been its current length since the 1960s.
Hodor.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

pr0ner wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:03 pm
Well, our local news station here in Florida made a point of mentioning the date change, but maybe they were talking about moving it to mid-May, as noted above.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:11 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 pm Note, image removed because they updated it and now there's nothing to see
Seems like a lot of steps for an ephemeral item. Maybe I'll try out that Firefox one click solution.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:07 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:03 pm
Well, our local news station here in Florida made a point of mentioning the date change, but maybe they were talking about moving it to mid-May, as noted above.
I'll be heading down to Florida (Sanibel via a brief stop at Merritt Island) later this week. We'll be there until June 4. We used to go in August, back when my oldest kid played club soccer. Now that he's graduated & employed we have a little more flexibility, so are going earlier. In all the years we went to Sanibel in August, we were only impacted by a hurricane once: Hurricane Charley in 2004 made landfall on Captiva Island, just north of Sanibel itself, and pretty much closed the island down for a year afterward.

We were driving down I-95 paying attention to the weather, which had predicted landfall further north up the Gulf coast. When we were somewhere just north of Jacksonville when we heard that the storm had made a sharp right toward Sanibel. We were fortunately able to grab a hotel reservation in Daytona Beach for that night. It was no surprise that the storm came right across and hit us there (only Cat 1 by then).

Conform or be cast out!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:12 pm
Seems like a lot of steps for an ephemeral item. Maybe I'll try out that Firefox one click solution.
To be fair, it's been eight years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I still use the Rehost Image plugin, which works with a single right-click about 90% of the time.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:01 pm I'll be heading down to Florida (Sanibel via a brief stop at Merritt Island) later this week.
We are a hop, skip and a jump away from Merritt Island where I live :D

We've been to Sanibel and Captiva Island a few times. If you've been to Sanibel before, have you taken the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge tram tour? It's been a few years since we've taken that tour, but it was a lot of fun and you got to see a lot of things. Just wondering if that tram tour is still running post-Covid.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm feeling a bit better about hurricane season this year because I'm finally in a house with no trees within striking distance of my roof. And it's new construction so it has some hurricane-proofing amenities I've never had before. Of course, I'd prefer not to have to put them to the test at all.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:44 pm I'm feeling a bit better about hurricane season this year because I'm finally in a house with no trees within striking distance of my roof. And it's new construction so it has some hurricane-proofing amenities I've never had before. Of course, I'd prefer not to have to put them to the test at all.
We took down the last of the trees in our yard a few years ago, just for that very reason. Our neighbors have also remove their really tall trees, three huge pine trees, which really were in danger of hitting either our house or theirs.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:39 pm
Hrdina wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:01 pm I'll be heading down to Florida (Sanibel via a brief stop at Merritt Island) later this week.

We've been to Sanibel and Captiva Island a few times. If you've been to Sanibel before, have you taken the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge tram tour? It's been a few years since we've taken that tour, but it was a lot of fun and you got to see a lot of things. Just wondering if that tram tour is still running post-Covid.
Yeah, I knew you were in that neighborhood. :D

I think our current travel plans are to show up in Titusville on Thursday evening, grab dinner (maybe at Sonny's on FL 50), stay the night, go to the Merritt Island Refuge on Friday morning, then drive to Sanibel.

My wife knows that when we drive to FL I tend to want to keep going with only rest breaks. This time we've pre-reserved hotel rooms on the way (in SC and in Titusville) to force us to keep a more leisurely pace.

We've been to Sanibel many times before and always visit the Ding Darling refuge. We may have taken the tram once, but we usually drive or bike through. It should be good this year since there will be a somewhat different set of birds there in May/June than we usually see in August, like these fine fellows here.

We will usually take at least one boat trip (either in Tarpon Bay or from Captiva), sometimes Kayak in the Bay, and maybe visit Audubon Corkscrew Swamp down by the Everglades.
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:19 pm I think our current travel plans are to show up in Titusville on Thursday evening, grab dinner (maybe at Sonny's on FL 50), stay the night, go to the Merritt Island Refuge on Friday morning, then drive to Sanibel.
We used to go to that Sonny's but for us the quality has gone down since they have become so popular. However, my wife is very particular when it comes to many things (it's why she married me :wink:) so probably it is just fine for most folks. If we BBQ, we usually go to a Dustins.
Hrdina wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:19 pm My wife knows that when we drive to FL I tend to want to keep going with only rest breaks. This time we've pre-reserved hotel rooms on the way (in SC and in Titusville) to force us to keep a more leisurely pace.
Stopping in South Carolina? On our way in the opposite direction we usually planned our trip to stop in Florence SC. We are very, very long time Hilton customers (my wife used to work for them) and unless there absolutely isn't a Hilton property within an hour of where we are going we always stay with them. I don't know why I'm mentioning it other than traveling in SC always reminds me of Florence which reminds me of Hilton.
Hrdina wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:19 pm We've been to Sanibel many times before and always visit the Ding Darling refuge. We may have taken the tram once, but we usually drive or bike through. It should be good this year since there will be a somewhat different set of birds there in May/June than we usually see in August, like these fine fellows here.
Biking in Sanibel in August? Ah, to be young and fit again :roll:

Hrdina wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:19 pm We will usually take at least one boat trip (either in Tarpon Bay or from Captiva), sometimes Kayak in the Bay, and maybe visit Audubon Corkscrew Swamp down by the Everglades.
We've done boat rides with Captiva Cruises, my wife especially likes the catamaran. And we've taken their trip out to Useppa Island. Speaking of my wife, and I often am, she requires that wherever we go on a trip, we have to have a boat ride, at least one per destination city or location. Preferably a sailboat, but barring that, at least that the boat should be small and intimate if possible. So if you find any new boat rides of interest on your trip, please post about them, she has a birthday coming up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:13 pm
I still use the Rehost Image plugin, which works with a single right-click about 90% of the time.
I searched for that for Firefox but couldn't find it, but I did find Reuploader which seems to work. Thanks Kraken for motivating me to go look for it :clap:. And you too Isgrimnur for the original suggestion :clap: .
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:16 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:13 pm
I searched for that for Firefox but couldn't find it, but I did find Reuploader which seems to work. Thanks Kraken for motivating me to go look for it :clap:. And you too Isgrimnur for the original suggestion :clap: .
Looks like they renamed it "Imgur-Uploader", which I assume is short for Isgrimnur-Uploader.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Is there a history for the Sonny’s in Titusville that makes it special? I’ve eaten at some Sonny’s down here. If I remember right their sides were good and the meat was ok. But I find that most bbq places only get one or the other right.

We used to spend weekends in Titusville when I was in school. My grandparents had their boat there, and my step-father kept his boat in the same marina. But I can’t remember any of the restaurants that we used to eat at back then.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

msteelers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:00 pm Is there a history for the Sonny’s in Titusville that makes it special?
Not as far as I know. It wasn't a hangout for Cape workers or astronauts. And inside it just looks like a standard Sonny's.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What are the chances Orlando will be obliterated a month from now? Asking on behalf of someone who might be me who will be suffering that town mid-June.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:59 pm What are the chances Orlando will be obliterated a month from now? Asking on behalf of someone who might be me who will be suffering that town mid-June.
Slim to none. It's fifty miles inland so even in the very unlikely event of an early season hurricane there is little chance of heavy winds and tornadoes. We're not near a fault zone and Godzilla hasn't been around in years.

Mid-June is early in the rainy season, so you will be seeing 90+ degree humid sunshine with the possibility of afternoon showers or thunderstorms, occasionally severe. Unless we get that very unlikely tropical storm or hurricane, which actually might make the weather significantly more livable.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Quality at any Sonny's is never a given from my experience. You can get a wonderful bowl of baked beans that's been cooking, getting reduced all day, and it's full of meat too, then the next time you go the beans could have come almost straight from a can. One item that seems to be good most of the time is the ribs.

Being inland isn't all it's cracked up to be. I got hit by Irma. Luckily I was on the same grid as the hospital so I got power back within two days. Most people took a week or two. It took six months for the piles of branches to all be hauled away. Two weeks before any banks or gas stations were operating. Publix was a shining star, they started operating in two days.
Stop funding for NPR
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:21 am Being inland isn't all it's cracked up to be. I got hit by Irma. Luckily I was on the same grid as the hospital so I got power back within two days. Most people took a week or two. It took six months for the piles of branches to all be hauled away. Two weeks before any banks or gas stations were operating. Publix was a shining star, they started operating in two days.
Oh, being inland isn't a walk in the park at all, but I can't remember a significant mid-June storm that would have been truly horrible in Orlando. And of course being inland you miss the storm surge.

I'm fifteen miles in from the coast, three miles in from the Indian River, so we're pretty clear of storm surge here. It's just the wind, rain, tornadoes and lightning you have to worry about :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NOAA forecasters predict an above-average hurricane season
Just like Colorado State’s forecast from early April, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is calling for another above-normal number of storms this hurricane season. NOAA meteorologists expect 14 to 21 named storms for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season. They predict six to 10 of those will become hurricanes, including three to six major hurricanes, which are a Category 3 or higher on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

Enlarge Image

A change from earlier in the spring is the expectation that La Niña will continue into the hurricane season. This ocean-atmosphere pattern favors tropical development in the Atlantic. Sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic are also warmer than average, and NOAA says an enhanced west African monsoon would support more tropical waves that can eventually become tropical storms or hurricanes.

Predictions of the season’s activity don’t necessarily mean anything about landfall or other coastal impacts. Individual storms make a difference in any particular place, regardless of how active a season is. Coastal residents should do what they can to be prepared every year.

Colorado State University’s first outlook of the year, issued in early April, calls for 19 named storms, nine hurricanes, and four major hurricanes. CSU will release its next seasonal forecast on June 2. Last year's Atlantic hurricane season ended with 21 named storms, although nine of them were so-called "shorties," each lasting two days or less.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:58 pm We used to go to that Sonny's but for us the quality has gone down since they have become so popular. However, my wife is very particular when it comes to many things (it's why she married me :wink:) so probably it is just fine for most folks. If we BBQ, we usually go to a Dustins.
We've only been to that particular Sonny's once (4 years ago) and don't remember any problems with it. In general we are usually pretty happy with Sonny's. I would probably rather to a more mom-and-pop BBQ place but when I'm traveling with my youngest kid (as I am this time) she gets grumpier than usual if there isn't "normal" food available, which to her usually means chicken tenders or a plain burger and fries.

In previous years we planned our trips to ensure that we could stop for lunch at Lexington BBQ, Duke's BBQ, or at Georgia Pig in Brunswick, GA. I don't remember where Duke's was (there are a number of places with that name) and Ga. Pig closed several years ago.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Dustins; never heard of them before.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:58 pmWe are very, very long time Hilton customers (my wife used to work for them) and unless there absolutely isn't a Hilton property within an hour of where we are going we always stay with them. I don't know why I'm mentioning it other than traveling in SC always reminds me of Florence which reminds me of Hilton.
We are, in fact, staying in Florence at Home2 Suites by Hilton, and at a Hampton in Titusville.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:58 pm Biking in Sanibel in August? Ah, to be young and fit again :roll:
We're neither of those anymore. I think the last time we did this we spent a lot of time in the shad and carried a whole case of bottled water with us. :D It is definitely a bike-friendly island, between the available bike paths and the almost total lack of elevation changes.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:58 pm We've done boat rides with Captiva Cruises, my wife especially likes the catamaran. And we've taken their trip out to Useppa Island. Speaking of my wife, and I often am, she requires that wherever we go on a trip, we have to have a boat ride, at least one per destination city or location. Preferably a sailboat, but barring that, at least that the boat should be small and intimate if possible. So if you find any new boat rides of interest on your trip, please post about them, she has a birthday coming up.
We did the catamaran cruise some time ago; I have a picture of my daughter on that cruise and she looks like she's in first grade or so. She just finished her freshman year of college a week ago.

We've also done the dolphin cruise a few times, which is fun, and the Cayo Costa cruise one. I think this year the wife wants to go to Cabbage Key.

If you've never gone on one of the cruises with Tarpon Bay, we've enjoyed their evening Nature Cruise. I'm not sure if that qualifies as small or intimate, but it's really quite lovely to be out on the bay at sunset with all the birds flocking to roost on the islands.
Conform or be cast out!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:27 pm NOAA forecasters predict an above-average hurricane season
Just like Colorado State’s forecast from early April, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is calling for another above-normal number of storms this hurricane season. NOAA meteorologists expect 14 to 21 named storms for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season. They predict six to 10 of those will become hurricanes, including three to six major hurricanes, which are a Category 3 or higher on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

Enlarge Image

A change from earlier in the spring is the expectation that La Niña will continue into the hurricane season. This ocean-atmosphere pattern favors tropical development in the Atlantic. Sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic are also warmer than average, and NOAA says an enhanced west African monsoon would support more tropical waves that can eventually become tropical storms or hurricanes.

Predictions of the season’s activity don’t necessarily mean anything about landfall or other coastal impacts. Individual storms make a difference in any particular place, regardless of how active a season is. Coastal residents should do what they can to be prepared every year.

Colorado State University’s first outlook of the year, issued in early April, calls for 19 named storms, nine hurricanes, and four major hurricanes. CSU will release its next seasonal forecast on June 2. Last year's Atlantic hurricane season ended with 21 named storms, although nine of them were so-called "shorties," each lasting two days or less.
Yeah, I saw this this week:
hen a tropical storm passes over the Loop Current or one of its giant eddies – large rotating pools of warm water that spin off from the current – the storm can explode in strength as it draws energy from the warm water.

This year, the Loop Current looks remarkably similar to the way it did in 2005, the year Hurricane Katrina crossed the Loop Current before devastating New Orleans. Of the 27 named storms that year, seven became major hurricanes. Wilma and Rita also crossed the Loop Current that year and became two of the most intense Atlantic hurricanes on record.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:51 pm If you've never gone on one of the cruises with Tarpon Bay, we've enjoyed their evening Nature Cruise. I'm not sure if that qualifies as small or intimate, but it's really quite lovely to be out on the bay at sunset with all the birds flocking to roost on the islands.
Yup, that's the kind of cruise we like, not too big a boat and going out to look at nature. I'll pass it along to my wife. Thanks!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:17 pm Yeah, I saw this this week:
hen a tropical storm passes over the Loop Current or one of its giant eddies – large rotating pools of warm water that spin off from the current – the storm can explode in strength as it draws energy from the warm water.

This year, the Loop Current looks remarkably similar to the way it did in 2005, the year Hurricane Katrina crossed the Loop Current before devastating New Orleans. Of the 27 named storms that year, seven became major hurricanes. Wilma and Rita also crossed the Loop Current that year and became two of the most intense Atlantic hurricanes on record.
Thanks for posting that info. The Gulf can have some really scary hurricanes.
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:39 pm

Hello from MCO, neighbor!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:58 pm Biking in Sanibel in August? Ah, to be young and fit again :roll:
We're neither of those anymore. I think the last time we did this we spent a lot of time in the shad and carried a whole case of bottled water with us. :D It is definitely a bike-friendly island, between the available bike paths and the almost total lack of elevation changes.
Yeah, - it's basically flat! I was surprised when I read that too...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Aliasbuck wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:46 pm Hello from MCO, neighbor!
Orlando International Airport?
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:49 pm
Aliasbuck wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:46 pm Hello from MCO, neighbor!
Orlando International Airport?
I'm not Tom Hanks in The Terminal, but close enough for government work.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

We arrived in Florida early this afternoon.

When it came time to choose between Sonny's and Dustin's for lunch, we ended up eating at 4 Rivers BBQ in Jacksonville.

The first test of any BBQ joint is how it smells outside, and here we were treated to a wall of wood smoke fragrance as soon as we opened the car door.

All the food was really good; among three of us we had ribs, brisket, pulled pork sandwich, and BBQ beans.

We were actually planning to visit Dustin's, but reading their website they talked about grilling rather than smoking. :naughty:

To stay on-topic for the thread: no hurricane so far, although we did get the requisite Florida downpour almost as soon as we left the Welcome Center. :D
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Supposed to rain tomorrow here in Central Florida as a front blows through, but not for too long which is good because tomorrow is the second day of the concrete guys pouring our driveway. We have a big driveway :roll:

Meanwhile, off the west coast of Mexico, something may be brewing...
Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is there a list of stupid names for this year?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Hurricane Season 2022

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri May 27, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm voting for Karl and Walter.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

4 Rivers is excellent. They started popping up all over town right after I left Orlando. They haven’t made it down by me yet unfortunately.