recommend me a keyboard?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

recommend me a keyboard?

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to many problems I am looking into keyboards. I think I only care about switch type, BRIGHT lighted keys, and low price. No more $150+ keyboards in my life. Even if I was rich Id not get that. But Im exceedingly poor so lets see whats out there..When I first started out in the mid 90s Id get a $20 keyboard at Electronic Boutique (Gamestop now). Lol.

EDIT: Oh and needs to be full size...no minis without the numpad area and arrows.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Re: recommend me a keyboard?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:10 pm Thanks to many problems I am looking into keyboards. I think I only care about switch type, BRIGHT lighted keys, and low price. No more $150+ keyboards in my life. Even if I was rich Id not get that. But Im exceedingly poor so lets see whats out there..When I first started out in the mid 90s Id get a $20 keyboard at Electronic Boutique (Gamestop now). Lol.
Reiterating what I posted in your earlier thread
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:25 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:46 pm hahahaha! You guys. I did a full tear down in Feb 2018 and cleaned and rebuilt it. I posted pics of the entire process. I could use a new cleanup I guess. But Im in a mind to fully replace it. I dont want another over priced Razer product. I want bright glowy keys and thats about it for my requirements.
If you're after a budget-priced glowy keyboard, the EVGA Z12 RGB Gaming Keyboard is typically available for under $30. Amazon Warehouse currently has a couple of 'Used - Like New' versions for $18.63 if you need to keep costs as low as possible.
The Amazon Warehouse 'Used - Like New' versions are no longer available, but it looks like you can currently purchase 'new' via antonline through Amazon for $19.99.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I knew I remember someone posting about a cheap keyboard and it was in the thread I passed by thinking it was about hardware help ideas. EVGA huh? Ill look at that.

EDIT: you know Im not seeing used on either of those links and its just $20 on each site..even EVGAs. Might can get it this weekend. I wonder if they would somehow let me pay part wit ha gift card and part with bank?

EDIT: hm,mm rubber done switches and zone lit. Ill keep it on a short list though and keep looking too. I dont like mush keys and thats one of the problems my mechanical is giving me on a lot of keys. Course in the old days I didn't care. Kinda looking for Cherry MX or one of their other ones. But that may put it out of pricing for me.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:20 pm EDIT: hm,mm rubber done switches and zone lit. Ill keep it on a short list though and keep looking too. I dont like mush keys and thats one of the problems my mechanical is giving me on a lot of keys. Course in the old days I didn't care. Kinda looking for Cherry MX or one of their other ones. But that may put it out of pricing for me.
Yeah, I have no personal experience using that particular keyboard and cannot speak to its quality or durability. It is indeed a membrane keyboard, which is about all you can realistically expect with a $20 price tag. As several of the Amazon reviews observe, cheapest can often be dearest, so caveat emptor.

Here are some suggested budget mechanical keyboards courtesy of Tom's Hardware, but glowy is more likely to cost $60+, so you'll hafta pick your poison.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks Ill read it when i get up tomorrow Tired been looking at a lot .

On my short list so far....one thanks to Bosch....both are membrane. But thinking on it Im not happy at all with how the keys dont stay on a mechanical switch like a cherry brand or one like it ....So maybe membrane would be best. At these prices I cant be that picky plus if I dont like it I can save for another type.

EVGA Z12 RGB Gaming Keyboard

HyperX Alloy Core RGB
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I highly recommend Corsair. After being fed up with Logitech, I went with Corsair which has been one of the best decisions I've made. Very sturdy aluminum keyboard. Overall, good bang for the buck. I have a K70 with purely red lighting.

This one:
https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categorie ... 9101022-NA

Honestly, I've paid less for this one than I have for some of the Logitechs, but the quality is higher.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think I only care about switch type, BRIGHT lighted keys, and low price.

This would be easier to work with if we knew the switch type you card about...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Drevo Tyrfing V2 Aluminum upper RGB, $45 on Amazon. mechanical switches and all that.

For $20 you either get a super-cheap TKL or membrane full-size. You can go a little cheaper than $45 but you'll have to give up color.

EDIT: This one claims to be full-size, mechanical, and $35, AND extra 30% off. Never heard of the brand, but seems real enough.

EDIT2: Don't be tempted by the Corsair K55. It's not mechanical.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:53 am
I think I only care about switch type, BRIGHT lighted keys, and low price.

This would be easier to work with if we knew the switch type you card about...
Prefer linear like cherry red or fast silver. But I aint finding anything cheap enough with switches. Bah.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Personally? Spend $40 and get a Monoprice Mechanical keyboard with Kailh Box Reds.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:44 am Personally? Spend $40 and get a Monoprice Mechanical keyboard with Kailh Box Reds.
I did look at those first. Im just not sure about switches . This Razer had their own type and they suck. Well were great for a few years then sucked I should say.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Box switches are supposed to be quite good, comparable to Cherry reds. Box switches are also more robust as those high "box" protects the stem from dust and splashes
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Epomaker's TH96 is on Kickstarter price. It's already 100% funded. It's a 95% keyboard (size of TKL, but have almost full-sized board's keys including cursor keys and numpad. This one even has a dial in the upper right corner for adjusting things.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

_really_ good sale (clearance?) price on this

EVGA Z15 RGB Gaming Keyboard, RGB Backlit LED, Hotswappable Mechanical Kailh Speed Silver Switches (Linear) - $35

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-z15-f ... Id=6458591
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh Lordy thats is just what I have wanted. But its right in the middle of my no water in my home problem. I cant justify $35 for a keyboard and not have any water.

Its a test. The universe has it in for me and I'll not be baited.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

apparently this one goes on sale often, so keep checking back
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well still falling more apart. Jumped online, read quick reviews and viewed keyboards you all have recommended to me and pulled the trigger on the EVGA Z12.

It came down to the EVGA Z12 and the Hyper X one. The HyperX has membrane keys like I wanted but was $10 more. The EVGA was $39.99 and came with cherry ms style stems but is not mechanical. Its the stems Im worried about but Im hoping EVGA's keys are better quality than the shit Razer sold with theirs.

At #9.99 Ill try it. Its Amazon. If in under 30 days Im not happy with it / them I can return it and try something else. But I think Ill be ok.

Thanks to all of you that helped me with suggestions and info. I appreciate you all for that. And a final thanks to Anonymous Bosch as I went with his recommendation.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Keyboard came today. Keys feel great. I think Ill be happy with it other than the lighting. Its pretty dim through the keys...where I need it most. And theres no solid color other than red. Just wish it was brighter. I had the same gripe with my old Logitech. I type by seeing the letters on the keys. Ill test out the few lighting styles it comes with. Maybe one will work better.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wasn't happy with any of the lighting. I could not see the letters on the keys good and was having trouble typing. It didn't come with any control software unlike my Razer....but I found it online and got it. Now I can semi customize the lighting. Originally the only solid stay on color it had was red..which is hard to see. I made it a teal blue and now its bright enough to see the keys. I dont like the color but Ill live. You can't do a lot with the software and its lighting and colors on a Z12 compared to my old razer or say a Z15 but its enough. For $40 and nice soft keys Ill live.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, with the Corsair I have, the only color is red, but it's bright enough by default that I have to hit the button to dim it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

how many here actually need to see the letters on the keys to type? i just sorta assume everyone had their one quarter of keyboarding class in middle school and it would never be a problem again
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:20 pm how many here actually need to see the letters on the keys to type? i just sorta assume everyone had their one quarter of keyboarding class in middle school and it would never be a problem again
I took a summer enrichment class to learn typing over two weeks in eighth grade. The only thing that stuck was the home row. I started playing computer games in college and that's when I learned to touch type. That was 30 years ago...I'm quite proficient now.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:20 pm how many here actually need to see the letters on the keys to type? i just sorta assume everyone had their one quarter of keyboarding class in middle school and it would never be a problem again
Only if I'm using the special keys (was & on 6 or 7?)

However, if I'm gaming, I want to see the letters on the keys. I don't game with my fingers on the home row - the left hand is one space over (because of bullshit), and my right hand is on the mouse. I need to hit 'L' to open my quest log, or 'M' to open the map. I'm not going to move my hand off of the mouse, find the home row pip, hit the 'L' or 'M' and move them back - I'm going to glance down (often in a dark room), tap the key with my left hand, and keep playing.

So, yeah - I can (and do) touch type, but backlighting with translucent letters is an important part of a keyboard for me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im missing the LED / game connection. Like in ESO when I lvl it would light up my F key so I could easily see it and tap it to go into my lvl up stuff. Or when I open a chest it would light up my R key to loot all. This new keyboard doesn't have that kinda link built into it or software. I miss it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Generally games only integrate that sort of lighting with Razer Synapse or Corsair CUE.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My Steelseries does it with Factorio.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:38 pm My Steelseries does it with Factorio.
Apparently Factorio incorporated a lot of these RGB apis like Logitech's with each revision.

It's dependent on the game maker to incorporate such support.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont think I can get that keyboard and game lite up to work for me now because this keyboard has light zones not per key lights. It cant light up a F or a R key all alone by itself. Ill remember that next keyboard I get. This is just temporary until I build a new system. Then Ill look into getting a per key keyboard.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I used to have per key light keyboard but I mostly just set all keys to the same color and leave it that way. My current cheaper keyboard has light zones and no problem for me since I still leave it all with the same color.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You can also check out SignalRGB, which is an 'all-in-one' light controller. It does have game integrations, but only behind the paywall. Still, the free version will let you control practically every lit item on the market, from RAM to keyboards, without having to run apps from each and every manufacturer. I did use their 'screen ambience' for a while, which mirrors the colors on screen to the keyboard. It's really cool, and it added to the atmosphere, but I dropped out of the paid version a while back.

With 'light zone' keyboards, I usually set the alphanumeric keys to an easier to see color (or even just the same color, but full saturation/brightness), and the secondary keys around them to something a little darker.

The one thing that I wish I could get, though, is a way to apply a new 'pip' to the 'S' key to make it easier to find the keys by feel. I looked into some options, but there really wasn't anything. I suppose I could try a speck of kneaditite ('green stuff') or sugru. Still, I have alternate keycaps for my WASD keys that are lightly textured, which helps.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

After recharging my keyboard today I have a stuck key that .................................................................................................................................ah shit, there it goes. that barely unsticks, and only briefly.

I want to replace it with another wireless, rechargeable keyboard. There are a staggering number available so I'd appreciate suggestions/advice........................................................................................................................................................ Backlight would be nice but not necessary.

I'm replacing .this Artek.

This will mostly lay on my lap while I'm sitting back with my feet up, playing games or web surfing, so nothing huge and heavy. It will occasionally be pressed into actual typing..................................................................................................., but usually nothing longer t.han an email or board post. I use my laptop for real writing.
Last edited by Kraken on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:44 pm Keychron
Reviewer says:

If you will go with K5, prepare to learn that:
- Bluetooth is actually terrible.
This keyboard could be good if it had its own receiver.

My PC doesn't do Bluetooth so the keyboard needs a USB receiver. The Keychrons seem to be designed for use with a phone, laptop, or tablet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Quick look online says ...........LINK

Logitech MX Keys S Wireless Keyboard....$109 @ Amazon

Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

ReDragon K618 trimode full-size low-profile 65, may have coupon to bring it down to $50, can go as wired, 2.4 GHz dongle, OR Bluetooth. low-profile means it would be lighter. Still has RGB and all the keys. Even has media keys and a volume scroller (it's really a Corsair clone)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:51 am ReDragon K618 trimode full-size low-profile 65, may have coupon to bring it down to $50, can go as wired, 2.4 GHz dongle, OR Bluetooth. low-profile means it would be lighter. Still has RGB and all the keys. Even has media keys and a volume scroller (it's really a Corsair clone)
Nice, but doesn't look to be rechargeable.

Speaking of batteries, I'm starting to think that backlighting is just a waste of battery life. It's mostly just to look cool. One thing I like about my dying keyboard is that it only has to be charged every couple of months, and I've never felt deprived because it doesn't glow.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:48 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:51 am ReDragon K618 trimode full-size low-profile 65, may have coupon to bring it down to $50, can go as wired, 2.4 GHz dongle, OR Bluetooth. low-profile means it would be lighter. Still has RGB and all the keys. Even has media keys and a volume scroller (it's really a Corsair clone)
Huh? it says it has a 1900 mAH battery if you scroll lower, and it HAD to be rechargeable if it's in wireless/BT mode?!?!

And you can turn the lighting off. Use a magnetic adapter to make recharge almost painless.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:08 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:48 am
Huh? it says it has a 1900 mAH battery if you scroll lower, and it HAD to be rechargeable if it's in wireless/BT mode?!?!

And you can turn the lighting off. Use a magnetic adapter to make recharge almost painless.
Upon second inspection that's a nice looking keyboard. Do I want red, blue, or brown switches? One reviewer says the red offer no resistance at all; I would like to feel at least a little "click" when I press a key.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:29 pm Quick look online says ...........LINK

Logitech MX Keys S Wireless Keyboard....$109 @ Amazon
If you go with a Logitech, may as well get a solar-powered one. Those things are awesome - when we still had an office, half my coworkers were using them. Those things managed to stay charged even inside offices with no windows and very little discernible source of natural light. When the office closed, I pilfered one and still use it for work. Since I had to grab what was available, mine's actually a Mac version (I work on Windows, so there's an occasional problem mapping function keys, but for the most part it doesn't matter). But Logitech does have a Windows version.

Obviously that's not something you want if you are looking for a fancy backlit gaming keyboard, though.