[Movie] Rob Zombie’s ‘The Munsters’

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Movie] Rob Zombie’s ‘The Munsters’

Post by Smoove_B »

I was surprised there wasn't a thread, so here we are.

The Munsters is set to be released in 2022 by Universal Pictures theatrically while simultaneously being streamed on the streaming service Peacock.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Re: [Movie] Rob Zombie’s ‘The Munsters’

Post by hepcat »

I love Rob Zombie...but I'm still not sold on him as a filmmaker. The Halloween movies were just awful.
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

On the one hand, a Munsters movie should probably be PG. On the other, a Rob Zombie film probably shouldn't be.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

About 10 years or so ago, Bryan Fuller (maker of insanely great shows such as Pushing Daisies and Hannibal) had a pilot aired called Mockingbird Lane that was a re imagining of The Munsters. It was really, really good...but apparently it didn't hit the right taste clusters (thanks Barry) and never went to series. This attempt by Zombie just looks...uninspired, by comparison.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Has Rob Zombie done comedy?

Is this a comedy?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's being called a "horror/comedy". I expect the horror part to just be gore (if past Zombie productions are to be held up as an example).
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:14 pm About 10 years or so ago, Bryan Fuller (maker of insanely great shows such as Pushing Daisies and Hannibal) had a pilot aired called Mockingbird Lane that was a re imagining of The Munsters. It was really, really good...but apparently it didn't hit the right taste clusters (thanks Barry) and never went to series. This attempt by Zombie just looks...uninspired, by comparison.
It looks like the Mockingbird Lane pilot is available to stream on Amazon in the US. Sadly, not so much here in Austranada.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Rob Zombie's hit or miss for me. I love his music, his personality, and his whole love of grindhouse horror. I loved House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. I loathed his Halloween films and was indifferent to 31 and Lords of Salem. I also hate that he casts Sheri Moon in every film. The guy loves his wife, that's great, but at some point if you want me to take you seriously as a filmmaker, you need to make adult choices like not putting your freaking spouse in every movie.

I honestly don't know what to think of this. On the plus side, Zombie is a HUGE Munsters fan, he's great friends with Butch Patrick, so I'm hoping that fandom will translate faithfully to the big screen. On the other hand, Rob Zombie already screwed up one great IP by putting his touch on it so the track record's not there for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wouldn't Butch Patrick make a great Grandpa Munster these days?
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Echoing others mostly agreeing that the Halloween experience makes me skeptical. On top that teaser above is clearly meant to look cheap but it comes off as amateurish cheap. Maybe that's the schtick but danger ahead if it reflects the final product.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The reason I posted it was because I was generally confused by it. I get the impression he's genuinely a fan of the show and while this might not be his usual film/content wheelhouse, he's creating it from a position of love. How that impacts the end product, I guess we'll see. Like so many others, I'm highly, highly skeptical but I've been surprised before.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:About 10 years or so ago, Bryan Fuller (maker of insanely great shows such as Pushing Daisies and Hannibal) had a pilot aired called Mockingbird Lane that was a re imagining of The Munsters. It was really, really good...but apparently it didn't hit the right taste clusters (thanks Barry) and never went to series. This attempt by Zombie just looks...uninspired, by comparison.
I loved this pilot. Man, I wish they had picked it up.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

An actual trailer has been released.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's even worse than I imagined. The production value looks cringe, the trailer is an absolute mess. I just.....any optimism I had is now shot.

About the best thing I can say is that Grandpa Munster is pretty damn good. Everything else.....gah.....
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That trailer made me want to go back and watch the old show. It did nothing to make me want to see the movie. :oops: Lawn... Off... :character-oldtimer:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They're trying for What We Do in the Shadows with the writers and stage crew from a 9th grade drama class.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Do we know yet whether it will have a theatrical release or go straight to streaming? I'll watch it if it shows up on Netflix.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like it will be streaming.
The film will be released this fall by Universal 1440 Entertainment, a production arm of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group that develops and produces films for worldwide distribution across all non-theatrical platforms.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ah, good. I bought 100,000 shares at $1 on HSX and sold at $5.50. If it's streaming-only it's probably at $.01 now.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:01 pm It's even worse than I imagined. The production value looks cringe, the trailer is an absolute mess. I just.....any optimism I had is now shot.

About the best thing I can say is that Grandpa Munster is pretty damn good. Everything else.....gah.....
:text-+1:

It looks like a bad TV show.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have to wonder if he's going "meta" with it in some way.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

How many yutes are in it?

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:00 pm Do we know yet whether it will have a theatrical release or go straight to streaming? I'll watch it if it shows up on Netflix.
It’s been announced it will premiere on Netflix this fall. I’m guessing they lost a bet with HBO Max and Hulu.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The A.V. club rated it as a B-, which genuinely surprised me.
But for all this messiness, the sheer amount of charm that Zombie and his crew have injected into this little film feels palpable. As a vehicle for a pastiche of ’60s sitcom comedy, it’s a gold mine, with Zombie’s writing being shockingly funny in exactly the hokey, earnest way one would expect from an actual episode of The Munsters. Very few concessions have been made to update the material for modernity, as the soundtrack accompanies punning line reads and goofily macabre sight gags with slide whistles and cartoon sound effects—so much so, that one wonders if Zombie ever considered a studio audience laugh track. Even the set, shot in color as one of the few stylistic updates to the source material, is populated by cheap props lit in artificial neon like a particularly intricate Spirit Halloween display, which only adds to the charming artificiality of the whole affair.
It's out now.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well crap, now I have to watch it. :?
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Being between series right now I was thinking of watching some random movie tonight. This one will do.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I made it to 12 minutes. Can anyone beat my score?
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I haven't watched it at all. Why do I feel that this constitutes beating your score... :think:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is a contest of physical endurance. Not one of mental greatness.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Is it on Netflix? I don't see it there, so maybe Canadastralia has been spared for now. The only option I can find is to rent/buy it on Amazon Video, and I'm not so curious about it that I'm willing to pay for the privilege.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:11 pm This is a contest of physical endurance. Not one of mental greatness.
So far the only movie that's been completely unwatchable for me has been Battlefield Earth. I think I've tried half a dozen times and never make it beyond ~45 minutes. 12 minutes for the Munsters? Challenge accepted.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Battlefield Earth is a drinking game, not a movie. I usually pass out around 20 minutes into the film because you have to down a shot after someone says “leverage”.

By the way, I know she’s his wife, but good lord Sheri Moon is an awful actress. And in this you realize she’s an even worse comic actress.
Max Peck wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:18 pm Is it on Netflix? I don't see it there, so maybe Canadastralia has been spared for now.
Search for “Munsters, eh”.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:41 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:11 pm This is a contest of physical endurance. Not one of mental greatness.
So far the only movie that's been completely unwatchable for me has been Battlefield Earth. I think I've tried half a dozen times and never make it beyond ~45 minutes. 12 minutes for the Munsters? Challenge accepted.
I lasted an hour, but only because I hoped to see Cassandra Peterson. Which I didn't, unless she was unrecognizable. Sorry, Elvira.

Poor Sylvester McCoy. And Hurley. At least they probably got a bigger paycheck than I'll ever see.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:50 pm
I lasted an hour,
You can’t count the time spent unconscious.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 pm
I lasted an hour,
You can’t count the time spent unconscious.
Or the time it took me to log into Netflix. WTF? I know they're trying to crack down on account-sharing, but it took me 15 minutes to guess the right email/password combo.

The most charitable thing I can say about this movie is that it's colorful. Garishly so.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:41 pm
I lasted an hour, but only because I hoped to see Cassandra Peterson. Which I didn't, unless she was unrecognizable. Sorry, Elvira.
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Her scene was either after I bailed or while I zoned out, but thanks for that.

The only career move worse than being in a shitty movie is being in the part of the shitty movie that no one makes it to.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, I hope things work out better for her career in the long term.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:20 pm Well, I hope things work out better for her career in the long term.
What is she, 70-something now? The long term is behind her; Elvira had two great talents, and acting wasn't either of them. But good on her for still making paychecks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just turned 71.