The insurrection committee's public hearings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The insurrection committee's public hearings

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:00 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:49 am The idea that the Secret Service would value an individual in office above the office of the President and the Constitution is a bit frightening. Would any of them hesitate to take a bullet for Biden on the campaign trail? I know I'd be taking a second look at my team in that situation.

Nowhere is safe from partisanship any more.
Which is why there are accounts that Biden's transition team only allowed agents he personally knew from his VP days to be assigned to his protective detail. The whole thing gets weirder as Biden kept Trump's sketchily chosen Secret Service in place until he recently 'voluntarily' announced he was leaving to go be Chief Security Officer at Snap. Apparently Trump brought Ornato over from Service to be Deputy White House Chief of Staff, then wanted to install him as head of the Secret Service. It sounds like Ornato wanted to stay in the administration so he suggested Murray. As Marshall writes above in the TPM piece, Murray was head of the agency when the "migration plan" was hatched in December 2020.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven. It sounds like a conspiracy theory but it's real. The range of how bad this is is wide. It goes from yeah perhaps Secret Service was run by MAGA loyalists Roman Empire style. On the other end it seems the most generous assessment is that they were so lawless they didn't care they were violating the law around records management. None of it is good. Hopefully it'll be investigated but I won't hold my breath.
Ornato out. With him and James Murray out hopefully we will see other MAGA embeds weeded out.

Last edited by malchior on Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I hope they have his passport too.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:03 pm I hope they have his passport too.

Two days before his scheduled interview with DHS?. Hmmm.
DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, and DHS general counsel, the inspector general had been attempting to interview Ornato since June 29 and spent all of July and much of August following up.

For example, Ornato cited vacation as a reason he couldn’t attend an interview. “I believe my counsel spoke to you and / or your team, but I am traveling out of district on annual leave and am not available on the dates provided,” Ornato wrote in an email on August 24. “When I am back from vacation, I will circle back with you and your team.”

This is one in a string of access issues the inspector general has experienced in relation to January 6, as The Intercept reported last week.

Ornato has indicated that he still intends to attend the interview, according to an email obtained by The Intercept, but since Ornato will be a private citizen, investigators won’t have testimonial subpoena authority to compel his cooperation.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yet, the spokesperson at Secret Service said this (from the article above). Also keep in mind that USSS officials disputed Cassidy Hutchinson's 1/6 testimony and said they'd provide him to specifically refute it. It's a cesspool.
Asked about the status of those discussions, Guglielmi said “We have continuously made Tony Ornato available.” He noted, however, that Ornato is now a private citizen and no longer a federal employee.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Federal officials always announce their retirement, effective immediately. Happens every day. Totally normal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Doesn't DHS have testimonial subpoena power outside of its inspector general's office? I'd think the obvious next step would be to go to other DHS counsel and ask them to subpoena him for testimony?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm not sure exactly where this goes, but it looks like Lindsey Graham will have to answer at least some questions for the Grand Jury.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:56 pm I'm not sure exactly where this goes, but it looks like Lindsey Graham will have to answer at least some questions for the Grand Jury.

I would have thought the exact opposite based on that tweet. Am I misunderstanding it?

Edit: After rereading it multiple times, I guess it means he only doesn't have to answer certain questions? OK, now your comment makes more sense.
stessier

Post by stessier »

NYPD Officer who wore body armor on Jan 6th and asked for time served compared to the prosecutions request for 17 years ends up with multiple concurrent 120 month sentences. (Long Twitter thread covers entire sentencing hearing.)

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Defiant wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:09 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:56 pm I'm not sure exactly where this goes, but it looks like Lindsey Graham will have to answer at least some questions for the Grand Jury.
I would have thought the exact opposite based on that tweet. Am I misunderstanding it?

Edit: After rereading it multiple times, I guess it means he only doesn't have to answer certain questions? OK, now your comment makes more sense.
Yeah, the headline is misleading. The judge said they can't question him about the intent of his phone call with the AG, but they can question him about his coordination with Trump, his public statements around that time, etc.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Everything we trained for. It does make me feel a little better that all these crazy militia groups are way more incompetent than I thought the would be. If this was them organized.... :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let's be honest: the best and brightest aren't flocking to join these groups. They have to rely on high school dropouts, incels, white supremacists who can trace their lineage back to closely related parents and people who think Mark Wahlberg is a fine actor.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:33 am Let's be honest: the best and brightest aren't flocking to join these groups. They have to rely on high school dropouts, incels, white supremacists who can trace their lineage back to closely related parents and people who think Mark Wahlberg is a fine actor.
The best and the brightest (to whatever degree that may be, see Trump) are the ones funding and instigating it (and reaping beaucoup coup bucks from it), not invading the capital.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:55 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:33 am Let's be honest: the best and brightest aren't flocking to join these groups. They have to rely on high school dropouts, incels, white supremacists who can trace their lineage back to closely related parents and people who think Mark Wahlberg is a fine actor.
The best and the brightest (to whatever degree that may be, see Trump) are the ones funding and instigating it (and reaping beaucoup coup bucks from it), not invading the capital.
Yep, they are the ones you will never see because they are definitely not going down with this ship of fools that they set off, and probably funded.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

What’s with the unnecessary dragging of Marky Mark?

Mr. Whahlberg IS a fine actor, sir..
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"unnecessary"?

Nay. If anything, I'm being too kind.

The man has two expressions...and they're both the same.

...which means...technically...he has one. But he wants you to THINK he has two. But now you know better!

Now, get thee away from me, Wahlberger. I refuse to associate with your kind. :snooty:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:37 am
The Hepcat doth protest too much, methinks.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Blue steel.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Arizona GOP Kelli Ward's phone is now owned by the January 6th Committee!
A federal judge in Arizona has decided the court can't block a House January 6 committee subpoena for GOP state chair Kelli Ward and her husband Michael's cell phone data, a ruling that may deliver more information in the probe about the state-level backing for Donald Trump after his 2020 loss.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That feels like it should be bigger news.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:51 am That feels like it should be bigger news.
Sure. Everyone in power knows what is going on. They are too busy working on protecting them and their own to help us.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 pm
That’s the closest Mark Wahlberg will ever get to Shakespeare.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Defiant wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:11 am
Guess who has a book?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

:
hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:46 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 pm
That’s the closest Mark Wahlberg will ever get to Shakespeare.
:lol:
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is pretty explosive but it still stands to reason the guy is dropping a book on Tuesday - WaPo coverage seems to indicate his former bosses aren't happy. It seems like he thought the committee was pulling punches. We shall see.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So my understanding is that tomorrow’s hearing is at 1:00 EDT.

I believe they will be battling for attention versus Hurricane Ian’s landfall right around that same time.

I wonder if they have considered a delay?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, what will likely be the final public hearing is in a couple hours.

Just a heads up for those that intended to watch.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:53 am So, what will likely be the final public hearing is in a couple hours.

Just a heads up for those that intended to watch.
Is it the final public hearing? I got the impression that when they recessed in August or whatever it was that they planned to come back for a season 2. Or is this basically the movie following the show?
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I honestly think they were optimistic about obtaining more testimony, but really didn’t get much more.

My understanding is that this will be the last one (I’m sure they will say they reserve the right to keep it open ended)

But yeah, this is the Serenity to the Firefly

It will likely end with Cheney getting impaled by a huge wood spike.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NYT is reporting that the Jan. 6th committee is going to subpoena Trump for testimony. It's the right move, although I'd be shocked if they can get him to show before the next House is seated.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:33 pm NYT is reporting that the Jan. 6th committee is going to subpoena Trump for testimony. It's the right move, although I'd be shocked if they can get him to show before the next House is seated.
Now we're talking.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It’s only for the history books.
They don’t expect Trump to honor the subpoena.
It does make you wonder if they will make any move after Trump does not cooperate with the subpoena.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:55 pm It’s only for the history books.
They don’t expect Trump to honor the subpoena.
It does make you wonder if they will make any move after Trump does not cooperate with the subpoena.
The problem is that Trump won't just refuse to show up, he'll probably sue. And that litigation even if expedited is not going to be done before the new House is seated, after which (in all probability) Speaker Kevin McCarthy will have dissolved the January 6th committee.

If the Democrats do somehow manage to hold onto the House, then maybe they think about aggressive action after the lawsuits are played out...but who knows when that'll be.

Honestly seems like the best bet is to goad Trump into showing up, though I doubt that would be successful.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing he hates more than being in a courtroom is being in a marriage.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:15 pm The only thing he hates more than being in a courtroom is being in a marriage.
Or having black tenants.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:23 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:15 pm The only thing he hates more than being in a courtroom is being in a marriage.
Or having black tenants.
Or walking down a ramp.