The insurrection committee's public hearings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The insurrection committee's public hearings

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:16 am Open carry is not legal in DC and while concealed carry is allowed, it requires a permit and no other jurisdictions permits are accepted.
If you are a 2A rights advocate going to DC intent on insurrection to deny the peaceful transition of power by force because you are convinced the election has been stolen, I don't think what DC considers legal carry is a high register mark. If you are intent on insurrection, are you really thinking "Yeah, but we better not make it an armed insurrection, cause you know that might have consequences."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But wearing body armor seems okay to you?
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I didn't even make it all the way to work before hearing how this is all a sham to help boost Biden's ratings. So that brightened my day. They all seem super concerned when people invaded Benghazi though.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:47 am But wearing body armor seems okay to you?
Not even a little. Does it suggest to me the intent to overthrow the government was there going in? No. Does it suggest that all they wanted/needed was a little nudge? Oh yeah.

If I had a personal arsenal and the desire to overthrow the government and I was going to DC with the intent to overthrow the government right there and then. To be that spark, to be that shot heard round the world, "to water the tree of liberty" I'd be literally be locked and loaded.

If I was going to rage and vent and peacock, looking be told my anger was righteous, then body army and even riot shields and batons would suffice. That's what is done to provide security and support for the blue line.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:13 am I didn't even make it all the way to work before hearing how this is all a sham to help boost Biden's ratings. So that brightened my day. They all seem super concerned when people invaded Benghazi though.
And don't forget the emails. So glad our politicians held the line against such a threat to our democracy. :roll:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:30 am
Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:13 am I didn't even make it all the way to work before hearing how this is all a sham to help boost Biden's ratings. So that brightened my day. They all seem super concerned when people invaded Benghazi though.
And don't forget the emails. So glad our politicians held the line against such a threat to our democracy. :roll:
I do live in the reddest part of NJ so there is that. My town was like 70+ for Trump in the election. I really need to move.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:31 am
I do live in the reddest part of NJ so there is that. My town was like 70+ for Trump in the election. I really need to move.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:39 am
Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:31 am
Enlarge Image
He would have to remove his job shackles. :lol:

In reality, he just needs to move about 5-15 miles to the south or east.
naednek

Post by naednek »

shortly after the hearing this showed up on my wall
Enlarge Image

DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:24 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:47 am But wearing body armor seems okay to you?
Not even a little. Does it suggest to me the intent to overthrow the government was there going in? No. Does it suggest that all they wanted/needed was a little nudge? Oh yeah.

If I had a personal arsenal and the desire to overthrow the government and I was going to DC with the intent to overthrow the government right there and then. To be that spark, to be that shot heard round the world, "to water the tree of liberty" I'd be literally be locked and loaded.
This isn't born out by what we know already. First off they did have some weapons on them. Just not guns. Second they had guns staged and ready to go with a quick reaction force in Virginia. As detailed in the Oathkeepers portion of the seditious conspiracy charges. There is an argument whether it was meant for protection in the midst of general unrest or part of an attack on the Capitol but we don't know about all their communications yet publicly.

One possibility is that they didn't want to get stopped carrying guns before they needed to act. Especially considering Tarrio was just released the night before. Another consideration is that the garage meeting on 1/5 involved the Oathkeeper's "2A" attorney.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also, they didn't necessarily need guns when there was an intentional skeleton crew guarding the Capitol. And they had advanced knowledge of where things were located, panic buttons were disabled, etc...

Guns would have helped, but it would have also escalated things quickly - and likely not in their favor (ultimately).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

naednek wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:09 am shortly after the hearing this showed up on my wall
Enlarge Image

DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT

While I don't want to pay $5 a gallon for gas, I'd do it to keep my nation. That said equivocation is a tool of sophistry that gets me to never listen to a person again. Ever. I used to try and hold conversations but I gave up.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Body armor is legal to wear in DC. If open carry were legal, you can bet they would have been open carrying. What they didn't want was to get identified off on the outskirts and thrown in jail.

I'm also sure there were a lot of firearms in trunks of cars waiting for the Trump signal. In a way, maybe the fact that they overwhelmed the Capitol Police was a good thing in that they felt they could accomplish their goals without bringing in their guns. Terrible for the individual officers but maybe avoided something much worse.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:12 pm Send him to Club Fed to spend his remaining days "writing" about his struggle.
Well, we know what happened the last time a racial-supremacist party leader wrote a book in prison after a failed putsch.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:52 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:12 pm Send him to Club Fed to spend his remaining days "writing" about his struggle.
Well, we know what happened the last time a racial-supremacist party leader wrote a book in prison after a failed putsch.
At least it wasn't called "My Struggle." :wink: Fortunately, trump is considerably older than his role model was.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:49 am
Body armor is legal to wear in DC. If open carry were legal, you can bet they would have been open carrying. What they didn't want was to get identified off on the outskirts and thrown in jail.
I think many of them went there prepared/hoping for an insurrection, hence the body armor. It was what they could legally carry into the city without getting arrested before the "festivities", in my opinion.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:39 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:49 am
I think many of them went there prepared/hoping for an insurrection, hence the body armor. It was what they could legally carry into the city without getting arrested before the "festivities", in my opinion.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, got it.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anybody watching/listening to today's hearing? As I understand it, the objective is to prove that trump knew he lost the election and that he was in fact lying about the Big Lie.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yup. I'm watching
(as you probably know) It hasn't quite started yet - as there is a delay
Former Trump 2020 campaign manager Bill Stepien told the House select committee that his wife went into labor this morning, according to two sources briefed on the matter, explaining the family emergency that caused him to cancel his live appearance before the committee.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm not actually watching :oops: . I had heard that their star witness backed out but didn't know the reason. I guess that's a pretty good excuse.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m too busy with work to tune in today. I’ll have to wait for a recap tonight or something to see what happens.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 am I'm not actually watching :oops: . I had heard that their star witness backed out but didn't know the reason. I guess that's a pretty good excuse.
Stepien's wife went into labor. Seems reasonable enough. He isn't in the firing line either so 99% chance just bad timing.

That said the Barr stuff we are hearing is really devastating. It tells me DOJ needs to step up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Barr's demeanor for this questioning is completely different than when he was a mouthpiece for the Trump administration. He genuinely seems like a different person.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:52 am Barr's demeanor for this questioning is completely different than when he was a mouthpiece for the Trump administration. He genuinely seems like a different person.
Well he is ass covering. He is also protecting them somewhat. He is subtly selling that they believed their bullshit despite all the warnings to defuse the criminal intent angle.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I thought they did a pretty good job today.

Bill Barr said that he thinks Trump has lost touch with reality, which will drive Trump nuts.

They showed that Trump was focused on getting to the results of winning no matter what and would listen to any theory that may lead to it. He would remove anyone that told him otherwise.

They also did a good job with the timeline and showing that Trump would be told about how on election night, the votes would come late for Democrats, it always does... and you could then see him later that day use that information to sew doubt in the election by doing his "Just watch, this will happen: " all framed in fraud. It's not terribly sophisticated, he's just not called out on it by his apathetic fans.

Reminds me of this 2015 interview:

whining until I win.
He's a child that has never been told "No", before that election.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think it was as striking a the first hearing - having officers testify about their experiences during the attack was likely the right move. But yes, I think there was still plenty of critical information shared today.

I also think it's hilarious that they ended by pointing out how it was transformed into grifting. Big surprise there.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Did we get him yet? :P I'll never understand the obsession people have with this idiot. He's obviously full of shit 99.99% of the time. He's also got about 2 brain cells and whines like a baby all the time. :tjg:

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Octavious wrote:Did we get him yet? :P I'll never understand the obsession people have with this idiot. He's obviously full of shit 99.99% of the time. He's also got about 2 brain cells and whines like a baby all the time. :tjg:
I think that’s what pisses me off the most. Not that they are willing to throw away democracy in order to stay in power, but that they are doing it for THIS shit stain.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup our country has been brought to it's knees by the ultimate Internet troll. I guess that's fitting?

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

He's also a seditious traitor who is somehow still likely to be the GOP nominee for President of the United States in the next election. :(
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

msteelers wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:21 pm
Octavious wrote:Did we get him yet? :P I'll never understand the obsession people have with this idiot. He's obviously full of shit 99.99% of the time. He's also got about 2 brain cells and whines like a baby all the time. :tjg:
I think that’s what pisses me off the most. Not that they are willing to throw away democracy in order to stay in power, but that they are doing it for THIS shit stain.
They aren't doing it for him, in my opinion. He is just a tool to hold power that has an extraordinary hold on a lot of voters. I think most of them would ditch him quickly if they were confident they could do it and hold onto his voters.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

He also exemplifies this nation's inability to balance due process against the need to protect the nation against bad
faith actors. And it isnt the first time. At least Nixon let Ford off the hook by slinking away. Trump is much worse.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump was Paris Hilton before celebrity stupid became a thing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RM2

Post by RM2 »

Yeah but Paris did a better job of creating more wealth, at least from an article I read a number of yeras ago in some financial magazine. Could never provide a link as it was years ago but the compared his staring money and hers and made an argument that she actually did much better. No idea if this is actually correct but I can believe its possible . Of course this is before he became president and found a whole new world of opportunity
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:52 am Barr's demeanor for this questioning is completely different than when he was a mouthpiece for the Trump administration. He genuinely seems like a different person.
Well he is ass covering. He is also protecting them somewhat. He is subtly selling that they believed their bullshit despite all the warnings to defuse the criminal intent angle.
I disagree.

IMHO, it's because he's actually under oath.

To his credit, he did quit and there were lines of the law that he wouldn't break, but up until December 2020, he had no problem using his authority to undermine the law while not actually breaking it (see Mueller Report, again).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

RM2 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:09 pm Yeah but Paris did a better job of creating more wealth, at least from an article I read a number of yeras ago in some financial magazine. Could never provide a link as it was years ago but the compared his staring money and hers and made an argument that she actually did much better. No idea if this is actually correct but I can believe its possible . Of course this is before he became president and found a whole new world of opportunity
Here is that link

https://nextshark.com/paris-hilton-vs-d ... ump-money/
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:23 amI disagree.

IMHO, it's because he's actually under oath.
Oh yeah that is totally in the mix and ass covering might be the wrong phrase. He is spinning and white washing. I'm sure he is telling the truth but in the same dishonest way he poured cold water on the Mueller report. He is essentially still acting somewhat as his defense attorney in his framing of answers. He is saying to paraphrase, "Sure the things they believed in were preposterous but that's their right. I couldn't take it anymore when it became action". He is giving them air cover for their 'no criminal intent' defenses. And I don't think for one moment that is true or that Barr believes it.
To his credit, he did quit and there were lines of the law that he wouldn't break, but up until December 2020, he had no problem using his authority to undermine the law while not actually breaking it (see Mueller Report, again).
That's what I mean. The guy knows how to walk up right to the established line -- one that should be politically unacceptable but isn't. Also one IMO that should be illegal but isn't. This is the one of the very serious people? A defender of our liberties? That's bleak. That is why we are broken. This system is plain old rotted out. It can't maintain itself and I have less doubt every day that what is coming to replace the old order is going to be quite dark.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The meeting on Wednesday (6/15) has been postponed:
The Jan. 6 committee announced Tuesday morning that its hearing set for Wednesday has been postponed.

No reason was given.

The hearing's focus was to be then-President Donald Trump's pressure campaign on the Justice Department to back his false claims of election fraud.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The reason given is technical difficulties -- specifically, cutting together video. Apparently producing a new show every day is a little too fast-paced for their technical team. It doesn't seem like there's anything nefarious going on, just overplanning.