The insurrection committee's public hearings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: The insurrection committee's public hearings

Post by stessier »

Last edited by stessier on Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

BREAKING: A DC federal jury finds former Trump White House aide Steve Bannon guilty of two counts of contempt of Congress stemming from his failure to comply with a subpoena by the Jan. 6 House select committee
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So is this something that carries an actual punishment?

Or will it simply be a slap on the wrist that Bannon will wear as a badge of honor from here until the end of days?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good question.
The criminal offense of contempt of Congress sets the penalty at not less than one month nor more than twelve months in jail and a fine of not more than $100,000 or less than $100.
I'd like to think he'll be in jail for 24 months and paying $200K, but I don't know if that's realistic.

I also want some of the 1/6 rioters to literally hang, so maybe I'm not the best judge here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I would hope his previous felony convictions and his antics will end up with him drifting towards the top if the range versus the low end or middle.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sentencing isn't until the end of October which means this mother f-er will have spent a year of his life free and clear after refusing to appear before Congress.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

30 days at most. That’s my prediction. :(
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:31 pm The number of independents who think it was an insurrection and threat to democracy has gone up 9% since December.
There are no 'independents.' Just folks who can't be bothered enough to pay literally any attention whatsoever.

To continue the discussion of how far gone we are, I'm currently on a family road trip through the southeast. An incomplete catalogue of experiences thus far:
-TN: A literal Trump store, opening soon, advertised to carry true patriot gear (on the Pigeon Forge parkway)
-TN: Some dude walking past my masked wife in a store: 'Damn brainwashed Democrat.'
-AL: Multiple groups of people who drove out to a national monument (masks required) without masks. I didn't see any incidents where folks got angry, but one nice old lady told me it 'never even crossed [her] mind that they'd require a mask. I haven't worn one in over a year.'
-GA: Dozens of signs decreeing that 'baby's heart beats 18 days after conception.' Baby doesn't have a heart and isn't a baby at that point. Probably a hundred more signs urging to choose life, like Jesus did.
-GA: 'Don't be a Democrat.' billboards, decrying the liberal mental affliction consuming America, pointing to americanaffliction.com.

Still to come: more FL, MS, AR. Should be a blast. We truly live in a shattered place.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:44 pm There are no 'independents.' Just folks who can't be bothered enough to pay literally any attention whatsoever.
Well, except gas prices.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That was shared on the the previous page by pr0ner.
Just fyi.

But maybe someone should re-post it every new page, now that I think about it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:05 pm That was shared on the the previous page by pr0ner.
Just fyi.

But maybe someone should repost it every new page, now that I think about it.
Whups, but also agreed.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:44 pm
Alefroth wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:31 pm The number of independents who think it was an insurrection and threat to democracy has gone up 9% since December.
There are no 'independents.' Just folks who can't be bothered enough to pay literally any attention whatsoever.

To continue the discussion of how far gone we are, I'm currently on a family road trip through the southeast. An incomplete catalogue of experiences thus far:
-TN: A literal Trump store, opening soon, advertised to carry true patriot gear (on the Pigeon Forge parkway)
-TN: Some dude walking past my masked wife in a store: 'Damn brainwashed Democrat.'
-AL: Multiple groups of people who drove out to a national monument (masks required) without masks. I didn't see any incidents where folks got angry, but one nice old lady told me it 'never even crossed [her] mind that they'd require a mask. I haven't worn one in over a year.'
-GA: Dozens of signs decreeing that 'baby's heart beats 18 days after conception.' Baby doesn't have a heart and isn't a baby at that point. Probably a hundred more signs urging to choose life, like Jesus did.
-GA: 'Don't be a Democrat.' billboards, decrying the liberal mental affliction consuming America, pointing to americanaffliction.com.

Still to come: more FL, MS, AR. Should be a blast. We truly live in a shattered place.
On a recent drive to DC, I remember seeing a LOT of that kind of stuff (billboards, one MASSIVE rebel flag flying somewhere, and tons of pro-Trump stuff) going through Virginia. Don't remember what route I took, but to be fair, it was pretty rural (coming up from the south). I felt like I was on backroads the whole time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:18 pm
I don't disagree but the same thing was said about the impeachment hearings. In fact I probably said something similar about them. We have years of historical records of the destruction of our Democracy under this man and the GOP. That's meaningless if they get to rewrite history in a few years.
It’s for the next generation. This generation is fucked.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:45 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:18 pm
I don't disagree but the same thing was said about the impeachment hearings. In fact I probably said something similar about them. We have years of historical records of the destruction of our Democracy under this man and the GOP. That's meaningless if they get to rewrite history in a few years.
It’s for the next generation. This generation is fucked.
The next generation will be post-democracy.. Jan 6 will be verboten under CRT laws.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then it’s for the generation that arises after the man in the high castle is done.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:44 pm -TN: A literal Trump store, opening soon, advertised to carry true patriot gear (on the Pigeon Forge parkway)
There’s LOTS of those in TN. We saw at least a half dozen driving from Nashville to Gatlinburg last month.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:48 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:44 pm -TN: A literal Trump store, opening soon, advertised to carry true patriot gear (on the Pigeon Forge parkway)
There’s LOTS of those in TN. We saw at least a half dozen driving from Nashville to Gatlinburg last month.
It's a good thing too. China is struggling and can use all the business they can get.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:31 pm
The number of independents who think it was an insurrection and threat to democracy has gone up 9% since December.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/21/11125464 ... poll-finds
That's key. If we can strip trump's support down to the hardcore MAGAts -- especially among the donor class -- then his threat is greatly diminished. His less dedicated followers are gradually drifting away, and he's not making any new recruits.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:44 pm he's not making any new recruits.
There's one good thing to come of this for me. Seeing how the aging population falls into this trap of Fox News/OAN/NewsMax, etc... only and then can only repeat what they see there, I am on guard against becoming them and I think I will check out from Civic Duty if I feel that lens of seeing the world coming on. It's disheartening to be to see my elders having insurrection blinders completely up while only being able to focus on Biden as a malicious actor against corporate America... whom are also not to be trusted, as they support Biden or some such thing.

Of course, I see lots of young support as well, but they're stuck in different more... hostile... loop. One I don't have to be self aware to avoid.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:41 pm There is no way the carrier, the NSA (Dishfire anyone?), and a few other three letter and blank letter agencies don't have copies of the texts. They have no incentive to turn them over, however.

The Committee undoubtedly knows this.

Carriers don't keep the text messages themselves for very long (at most 90 days), although the metadata is kept around longer.

https://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/freespe ... viders.pdf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Meanwhile, coming back to the topic of the OP:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

CNN

A video talking about impact of the 1/6 hears. The TLDW; of it is that Trump voters are worrying that he might be unelectable. They don't seem to care that he couped or crimed. They just worry about the base political effect. As always, the outlook for democracy in this nation is incredibly grim.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:57 pm I also want some of the 1/6 rioters to literally hang, so maybe I'm not the best judge here.
You aren't the only one. Not excluding those that plotted it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:13 am
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:57 pm I also want some of the 1/6 rioters to literally hang, so maybe I'm not the best judge here.
You aren't the only one. Not excluding those that plotted it.
:oops: :cry:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is interesting. Does retiring remove legal protections?

ALERT: US Secret Service director James Murray delays retirement. Per my teammate @NicoleSganga
Agency is focus of multiple investigations
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Maybe he needs to be let go.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:32 pmThis is interesting. Does retiring remove legal protections?
My guess is Snap pulled their job offer.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:54 pm Maybe he needs to be let go.
But how can he delete incriminating evidence if he's not there?
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A “nothing to see here” thread:

Lots of bogus stuff going on here.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Meadows really needs to be brought in for questioning.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is one of those crazy things that was reported and was somewhat shrugged at as if it wasn't nuts that the WH COS is burning documents in his fireplace.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, if Trump was trying to flush his documents in the toilet, it would track that Meadows needed to burn his.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alex Jones' texts have officially been turned over:
Approximately two years' worth of text messages sent and received by right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones have been turned over to the House select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection, a person familiar with the matter told CNN on Monday.

The messages were handed over to the committee by Mark Bankston, the attorney who represented two Sandy Hook parents who successfully sued Jones in Texas and won nearly $50 million in a civil trial that concluded last week.

Bankston would only tell CNN that he is "cooperating with the committee." The select committee declined to comment.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:pop:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hell, I want them released to the public.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

He got 87 months - tied for the longest sentence handed down so far.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It must have included the devil's horns enhancement.
stessier

Post by stessier »

46 months for a 72-year old who brought a flag pole and was at the point of attack that pushed the police line to retreat.

stessier

Post by stessier »

55 months for a Proud Boy who agrees he broke the law even though he still thinks the election was stolen.