The insurrection committee's public hearings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: The insurrection committee's public hearings

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I was over-generalizing, as I do - just frustrated that the "tone" from so many voices of leadership still seems to be in the pearl-clutching stage, when we are so far past that.

Time to wake up from our shock stupor, people, and actually try to DO something, if we even can at this point. Someone on OO mentioned a starting line and starting gun IIRC. Great analogy...the MAGA's were ready and actually got away with a false start, while the rest are still at the line, 6 seconds later, staring, open-mouthed at the audacity of their competitor - how far they already are around the track, and also that they were not even penalized. How long are we going to stand there, gaping, instead of moving our damn feet?

Reminds me also a bit of pro soccer (mostly see this in men's UEFA, but I am sure it happens everywhere) - so many times players will stop playing without a whistle because they are so incensed (rightly or not) that there was no whistle for a perceived foul. Meanwhile, their opponent has now dribbled the ball halfway to the goal. By the time the stopped player realizes there WILL be no whistle...it's too late to catch up.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:25 am Someone on OO mentioned a starting line and starting gun IIRC. Great analogy...the MAGA's were ready and actually got away with a false start, while the rest are still at the line, 6 seconds later, staring, open-mouthed at the audacity of their competitor - how far they already are around the track, and also that they were not even penalized. How long are we going to stand there, gaping, instead of moving our damn feet?
I saw another, uhhh, interesting take this weekend. Republicans are the mass shooters and the Democrats are the Uvalde cops.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have the same name as one of the players in the Jan 6 clusterfark.

It's kinda weird to log into Twitter and see my name mentioned in multiple comments.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:58 am I have the same name as one of the players in the Jan 6 clusterfark.

It's kinda weird to log into Twitter and see my name mentioned in multiple comments.
Ginny Thomas?
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:06 am
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:58 am I have the same name as one of the players in the Jan 6 clusterfark.

Ginny Thomas?
Damn...busted. ;)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So...was anyone here with Skinypupy on January 6th, 2021?
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:24 am So...was anyone here with Skinypupy on January 6th, 2021?
:ninja:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So good - and quite helpful!

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

At this point I'm kind of surprised that the sc didn't take it on. It happens again I'm sure they will.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And this:

NEW: All Jan 6 committee members met in the House Secure briefing room in preparation for today’s surprise hearing. Meeting in a secure location like this is highly unusual for the committee.
I need to believe all the setup (right before the holiday weekend when they should all be in recess, security for witness, unscheduled in person testimony, now meeting in secure briefing room) means something consequential and definitive is going to be revealed.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

THIS TIME! :lol: They could have a video of Trump hand writing take over the country and it wouldn't matter. Meanwhile his faithful goon Rudy accused someone of violently assaulting him and then the video comes and and the guy tapped his back. I'd like to believe this will catch up to them, but I've lost all faith.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They truly are untouchable. :(
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think the reports of AR15 / Glock wielding people in the trees outside the ellipse is news to me. And briefing of the data to Mark Meadows they had on the people outside of the mags'.

Also :
"let the people in, take the fucking mags away. they are not here to hurt me"

I think this is pretty big testimony, tbh.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The “But THIS time it’s different! (please read my tweet!)” fatigue is real.

The Twitter fight for eyeballs has reduced the actually significant news from getting more interest/traction IMO.

At least for people even remotely paying attention to tweet politics, which is probably less than the Twitterverse cares to admit.

You could remove all references to Twitter above and it would probably be accurate as well. :(
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm not beat yet. you are free to bow out. I'm close, but just not there yet.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If there is any hearing people should watch, it's this one. From start to finish.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:58 pm I'm not beat yet. you are free to bow out. I'm close, but just not there yet.
Still dreaming of a Trump perp walk?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well apparently he didn't lie about not being allowed to go to the capital. He's insane. But we knew that already.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

"They are not here to hurt me"

That is a smoking gun
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm slammed at work. I glanced at Twitter and even saw tweets from Fox News talking about "stunning" testimony. Like most of these, I'll have to pull it up on YouTube to watch later tonight.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:28 pm "They are not here to hurt me"

That is a smoking gun
Clarification: this should be a smoking gun, as should the discussion of his unhinged toddler behavior (grabbing the wheel/assaulting a sec svc agent, throwing dishes, etc). But we live in America in 2022. I'm less than hopeful.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:34 pm
I can see that image in my mind's eye as if it had been an actual skit from SNL in my memory. Nice.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:30 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:28 pm "They are not here to hurt me"

That is a smoking gun
Clarification: this should be a smoking gun, as should the discussion of his unhinged toddler behavior (grabbing the wheel/assaulting a sec svc agent, throwing dishes, etc). But we live in America in 2022. I'm less than hopeful.
Semantics.
I mean it. That is a smoking gun. It is technically enough proof of his intentions.

Now, I'm not arguing with you in regard to what they will do with a Smoking Gun in our brave new world... but I do believe this will be a very direct test of that exact sentiment. This is a smoking gun, and if it is not enough - then the fork should be stuck in it.

I guess I would still qualify myself technically as "hopeful" - but I'm not even remotely "confident".
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:18 pm Symantics.
Are those like semantics?

I hear you. I have an instinctual urge to point out that anyone who needed today's events to reach a conclusion on the culpability of DJT is highly unlikely to be swayed by today's evidence (or any evidence). And that's why while I agree with you--this is definitely all sorts of smoking gun--I am neither confident nor hopeful.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I totally get skepticism but this is a bit different. I've now heard three different former federal prosecutors explain how this goes beyond weak cases that need to flip lawyers. It now indicates Trump is personally up to his neck in legal risk. In any case, we'll hear the GOP screaming 'hearsay' a lot. But at least one big thread on Twitter walked through why it's almost certainly admissible 'hearsay'. Even if it isn't then they can try to bring in the actual people and compel them to testify.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:28 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:18 pm Symantics.
Are those like semantics?
Almost exactly, but just for fools like me.

:doh: :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:29 pm Even if it isn't then they can try to bring in the actual people and compel them to testify.
Mick Mulvaney's an asshole of epic proportions and an enabler of (gestures vaguely at everything) all of this fuckery, but he's not wrong here.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:34 pm
Best I can do.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Predictable.

Note that Trump is about 100 lbs lighter and throwing out the dog whistle with his left hand.

Nevermind, that's clearly Rodney Dangerfield.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Totally predictable. The cult is still a cult. Those people are lost.

Also, those are clearly two different vehicles as noted. So as usual they are too stupid to note that the one from 1/6 is a SUV and the one in the illustration is a limo. Which is clear from a moment's inspection. Idiots.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those that didn't watch and would like a coherent summary:
Hutchinson is not the first committee source to describe Trump as approving the idea of Pence’s execution. But hearing more confirmation, together with testimony that he believed that the crowd assaulting police officers and ransacking the Capitol was doing nothing wrong, paints an even clearer picture of a president who not only condoned the violence, but actively approved of it.

Put together, and assuming the details are true, we now have good reason to believe that the violence of the day was not accidental but intentional: that Trump wanted a violent mob to attack the Capitol on his behalf, to use force to disrupt Congress’s certification of the election results and thus give him a chance at illegally holding onto the presidency.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This from the CBS White House Correspondent

Seems to me that this is something the committee would have absolutely verified before asking about it today (didn’t they already interview the SS dudes?).

Still, if they’re willing to testify under oath that she’s lying, it’d bring everything else she said into question.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well that's not ideal.

malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW that's not what she said. She said she was told about those events in Engel's presence. And she said he didn't dispute that story at the time. Even if they say it didn't happen it'd take Engel disputing she was told that at the WH meeting to really put her credibility into dispute.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 pm FWIW that's not what she said. She said she was told about those events in Engel's presence. And she said he didn't dispute that story at the time. Even if they say it didn't happen it'd take Engel saying the WH meeting where she was told that didn't happen to really put it into dispute.
But that will be the focus and she'll be discredited and life goes on. "Dems wasted everyone's time with nothing burger media circus while GOP.is trying to solve border crisis and Biden's gas price hikes!!"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sure. It is possible. Then those of us with the means and good sense will brain drain out of this shit hole country.

FWIW a few people noted they already testified so maybe this is just misinformation fed to a reporter to chum the waters.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

So one of them would clearly be perjuring. What reason does she have for doing so?

edit: Unless she is a plant :ninja:

Never mind, found it-

The pro-Trump blog Gateway Pundit called Hutchinson “another grifter … using Tuesday’s show trials to audition for a spot on CNN or MSNBC.” The conservative media firebrand John Cardillo tweeted that she was “a glorified receptionist and coffee fetcher in Meadows’ office … relaying boring office gossip, acting as if she had more access and input than she ever actually did.”
Last edited by Alefroth on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:10 pm Sure. It is possible. Then those of us with the means and good sense will brain drain out of this shit hole country.
I hear you, but I'm not sure why *this* is what you think will set you over the edge. The country is sunk, and it's been apparent through hundreds of examples for 5+ years (if we're being extremely charitable) now. The *best case* scenario is that this investigation ends with a small fraction the impact it should have had months ago, with 30% of the population still insisting until they croak that Trump is their lord and savior.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thing is, that’s one of the least important details that came out of today. If true, it’s simply further confirmation that Trump is nuts…but we already knew that.

Other things she testified to witnessing firsthand were far more damning, but this singular detail will get 100% of the focus if it turns out not to be valid.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.