The insurrection committee's public hearings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The insurrection committee's public hearings

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:56 pm Exactly my point. This isn't victory, it's just the question being passed along.
Yeah, the point of this is no more and no less than to put pressure on Garland to do something. Will he do something? Unfortunately probably not, but if this is worth even a 5% greater chance that he does, then it makes sense.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I appreciate the attempt at pressure. It shouldn't be their job but unfortunately this is where we are. When Jack Smith started subpoenaing for basic election related information a few weeks ago it solidified my belief that Garland was never going to indict Trump. He doesn't want to. He won't do it.

Maybe Smith will hang something on Trump but it'll be only via a very reluctant Garland. Garland was chosen for this reason IMO. This is one of the reasons I'm so down on Biden. He wanted to make "peace" with revolutionaries by being fair. It's dumb and it isn't going to end well. But let's see if this is the one time ignoring insurrectionists played out well for a democracy. :roll:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I still don't think it's about TFG, per se. Instead, it's an entire system that cannot come to terms with the idea that a sitting President (1) acted criminally to subvert the democratic process and (2) should be held accountable. If (in their minds) we get comfortable with the idea of arresting former Presidents or arresting and conducting criminal trials for sitting, elected federal officials, what then?

Instead, we just have to shrug our shoulders and hope the next time the coup doesn't work. I'm sure it totally won't.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:19 pm I still don't think it's about TFG, per se. Instead, it's an entire system that cannot come to terms with the idea that a sitting President (1) acted criminally to subvert the democratic process and (2) should be held accountable. If (in their minds) we get comfortable with the idea of arresting former Presidents or arresting and conducting criminal trials for sitting, elected federal officials, what then?

Instead, we just have to shrug our shoulders and hope the next time the coup doesn't work. I'm sure it totally won't.
I agree and it's beyond the Presidency. The DOJ itself is looking at misconduct in the DOJ (during the Trump administration) and two years into the Biden administration we've heard jack squat. The IG is hard at work I guess. How would we even know? They hide behind their vow of silence and expect us to trust them. I have news for these institutionalists. We don't trust them, they don't deserve our trust, and this behavior is why the situation is getting worse. Whatever. This system is failing and the people who caused it to fail are still behind the wheel. Why should we expect more?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Not even on the front page at all for fox. Instead they now have like 20 super fluff pieces. Jesus lol
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Clear proof to the narrative we have been told that Murdoch has turned on Trump and is trying to submarine his 2024 chances.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I don't think Murdoch is actively trying to bury Trump. He just has seemed to stop offering him all the free hot-air balloon rides.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like Ronna McDaniel (RNC Chair) may bury Trump with the Truth... as well as herself and Eastman...
The Republican National Committee chairwoman is far from what you would consider a “Never Trumper.” In fact, she has shown more fealty to the former president than just about anyone you can imagine.

But when all is said and done, she also may have played one of the larger roles than just about anyone if former President Donald Trump ultimately faces criminal charges....

...Thanks to previous hearings, we already knew some of the details McDaniel told the committee’s investigators about Trump’s role in organizing people nationwide to submit false Electoral College slates to Congress declaring Trump the winner in their states.

In this video, for example, you’ll see her testify that Trump put her on the phone with John Eastman to discuss obtaining assistance from the RNC, on a call made from the White House switchboard. 
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Someone needs to write a skit where the punchline is: "We traced the call, it's coming from the White House switchboard, the squad cars are on their way now - just get out of that house!"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Report dropped tonight
The Jan. 6 committee released its long-awaited final report on Thursday night, capping off a year and a half of investigative work that pieced together every aspect of former President Donald Trump’s attempt to stay in power.

“Our country has come too far to allow a defeated President to turn himself into a successful tyrant by upending our democratic institutions, fomenting violence, and, as I saw it, opening the door to those in our country whose hatred and bigotry threaten equality and justice for all Americans,” panel chair Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) wrote in a foreword to the 845-page report.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:05 am Report dropped tonight
The Jan. 6 committee released its long-awaited final report on Thursday night, capping off a year and a half of investigative work that pieced together every aspect of former President Donald Trump’s attempt to stay in power.

“Our country has come too far to allow a defeated President to turn himself into a successful tyrant by upending our democratic institutions, fomenting violence, and, as I saw it, opening the door to those in our country whose hatred and bigotry threaten equality and justice for all Americans,” panel chair Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) wrote in a foreword to the 845-page report.
That'll show him!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I read about 200 pages last night/this morning and I now see what the committee members grousing a few weeks ago about Cheney's editorial control in the Washington Post were getting at. The report is very much laser focused on Trump and a very tight circle around him. Not much about member misconduct, a light touch to security and intelligence failures, etc. FWIW I'm not surprised because the never really progressed off of Trump either. It is an extension of the public hearings. Still the idea that 1/6 is only about Trump is a bit of a fraud. Trump deserves a lot of blame to be sure but we still don't know so many details. I am still hoping they release transcripts and evidence that didn't make the report.

Edit: To also soften this a little, there is a lot we didn't previously know in the report. There was some interesting insight into some of the national guard decision making which was -- very lawful -- for what's it worth. The military is still a stable institution but now there are warning signs (more on that in a second). The civilian leadership of the military? That's another matter.

The warning signs/cracks that emerged? Several of the guard leadership in hindsight argued they should have ignored their orders and self-deployed in absence of Presidential leadership. In fact, there is some discussion that shows that leadership including superior officers not in the tactical loop at the time thought they should have ignored their orders and self-deployed. So ultimately this actually did some damage to the military chain of command which we have to keep an eye on now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did you see they just dropped another ~50 transcripts? It feels like maybe releasing this on a Friday night during a major holiday weekend is...odd?

He's just starting to go through them now and posting highlights.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just started reading it. I can't help but notice Ginni Thomas' isn't there for instance. Maybe it's still in the backlog. I also don't find the timing odd to be honest. They're scrambling to get everything out the door before the GOP starts trying to cover all the paperwork with crayon drawings.

I am reading Hope Hicks transcript right now - probably the person closest to Trump's calendar aside from Meadows. I also read Ivanka's transcript but there isn't much there tbh. The good thing is that they are very lightly redacted. The oddest thing to me is that they've redacted who conducted the interviews. I'd love to understand the why on that one.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:33 pm Did you see they just dropped another ~50 transcripts? It feels like maybe releasing this on a Friday night during a major holiday weekend is...odd?

He's just starting to go through them now and posting highlights.
But it's also when they funded government and quite probably the last day they meet until the new Congress is formed. It's like Congress is the kid who turns his paper in on the due date which is always the last day before winter break.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:52 am It's like Congress is the kid who turns his paper in on the due date which is always the last day before winter break.
Well, next semester Nelson Muntz will be running the whole classroom.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

STUDY IT OUT SHEEPLE!!

For those who don’t know, Ray Epps is a guy who was present at the riots but was not charged by the DOJ but has become a central figure in the fevered conspiracy theories of Derplandia because reasons. Good to see that’s now being amplified by sitting members in Congress.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Some of the testimony transcripts coming out are very enlightening:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

We got our hands on the Ginni Thomas transcripts today. She claims she never spoke directly to Clarence Thomas about her "volunteer" efforts to overturn the election but at one point she gets tripped up by a text where she says she just spoke to her "best friend" about the efforts and it calmed her down. She admits that was Thomas. She goes on to "regret" her texts to Meadows and says she abhors violence and then gets up on a cross to say that Schumer unleashed trouble on her family. Trash.

Bottom line is Thomas should have recused himself from election lawsuits related to 1/6. For context, he was the lone dissenter who wanted to protect Trump's docs from being released to the 1/6 committee. Another ethical black eye for a court that doesn't need one.

Note: Re-wrote this post to be clearer.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

IIRC Clarence Thomas is the man who flirts with women in his office by putting his pubic hair on the top of her soda can.

Supreme judgement.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:22 am IIRC Clarence Thomas is the man who flirts with women in his office by putting his pubic hair on the top of her soda can.

Supreme judgement.
Sounds about right. That kind of "playa" is how you end up married to Ginni Thomas.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That limp brain from here local is still in DC jail begging for a ankle band lol. Hope the un American rots.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"