The Product Recommendation Thread of Joy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We live in the age of search engine seeding, affiliate links, and reviews-for-pay making online ratings and review sites mostly unreliable. I thought we could use a thread to discuss real recommendations based on actual experience.

My first request: A skillet.

Our most recent skillet is so warped that we could make 12" donuts with it. It hasn't stood the test of time. Yeah, I know what causes warping, and I don't do those things, but good luck trying to keep two teenagers from dousing it with cold water, or pouring in two cups of cold (whatever.)

I need to get something that's a little more durable and less prone to warping. I'm seeing that multi-ply pans are a good option, but I don't know if that's the only choice. Something big enough to fry four (eggs/patties, etc) in. Non-stick, but not cast iron (good luck getting my family to respect the seasoning.)

Something that doesn't cost three figures. Any suggestions?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Re: The Product Recommendation Thread of Joy

Post by Max Peck »

Cast iron is all I got, sorry.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You can't beat a cast iron skillet. A good Lodge skillet will cost ~ $30 and will be pretty much non stick forever with care. Some people don't want to bother with cast iron, but there's nothing better.

edit - sorry, I missed that last line about no cast iron.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Look at the stone/ceramic based non-stick stuff. They typically last a few years, but they don't contain the super dangerous PTFE stuff or whatnot found in the traditional, usually cheaper non-stick pans.

Once I found those, I never went back.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm with everyone else that loves my cast iron skillet but I'm also the only one that uses (and maintains) it.

As just mentioned, we did get a ceramic coated skillet (and now pots) to replace our old non-stick stuff and I'd definitely recommend them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'd second ceramic and say avoid copper/teflon. They don't wear well. The same reasons you don't want cast iron will apply to them as well. Ceramic is pretty indestructible and not every ceramic is Le Cruseut priced. Something more modest isn't going to be sacrificing enough quality to matter.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Following. I'm also looking to replace a cheap 12" skillet my parents bought. I also prefer the non-stick for ease of clean-up and to avoid the use of butter/oil. I'd also like a lid with mine. Reading reviews hasn't helped, too many seem fake, have only had the product a limited time, or had problems. Years ago I bought a really nice Caphalon that I left with my parents, who apparently gave it to my sister. I will probably go back to that brand, watching this one on Amazon, but am going to see what shows up for Amazon Prime Day.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My friend got me Mauivel copper pan like 17 years ago. It is still as good as ever and is a freaking piece of art. It's not "no stick" like some of the new Teflon/ceramics but honestly, they cook kind of weird for me anyway.

I get a smile every time I pull that pan out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:35 am My first request: A skillet.

Something that doesn't cost three figures. Any suggestions?
I understand this doesn't meet your cost threshold, but I'm so happy with it I need to give it props. I absolutely love my Hexclad skillet and wok. They stand up to abuse from a teenage boy and clean super easy. I want to pick up some more pieces now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Them's both purty! Way beyond my means, but nice to look at.

If both kids were moved out, or if we had space to store separate 'mine only' cooking supplies, I'd likely be looking at a different set of options. As it is, I'm forced to stick with the idea of skillets being temporary, disposable tools. I would just like to get more than a year out of them before they are so warped that they're hard to use.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Since you've ruled out cast iron, consider the next best alternative: reliable -- i.e. not manufactured in China -- five-ply stainless steel. For example, this CHEF TOPF 5-ply stainless steel 11-inch pan, manufactured in South Korea. Unlike cast iron, you can clean stainless steel with regular dish soap, and need not worry about 'seasoning' removal. Stainless steel tends to be remarkably durable but is not nonstick, so you do need to use sufficient oil/fat to prevent food from sticking. But the Leidenfrost effect or mercury ball trick makes stainless steel remarkably non-stick. And keep in mind, all nonstick pans tend to suffer in terms of durability, especially if/when incorrect utensils are used, and almost invariably require replacement within 2-3 years as they deteriorate, degrade, and chip. Nonstick coatings can also be rather toxic, particularly if/when overheated.

Here's a useful video that illustrates proper care and use of stainless steel skillets and cookware:

And here's a video that helpfully demonstrates the Leidenfrost effect in action:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:34 pm Them's both purty! Way beyond my means, but nice to look at.

If both kids were moved out, or if we had space to store separate 'mine only' cooking supplies, I'd likely be looking at a different set of options. As it is, I'm forced to stick with the idea of skillets being temporary, disposable tools. I would just like to get more than a year out of them before they are so warped that they're hard to use.

Analon makes some good stuff. Not exactly JOY! but solid and we use them regularly. I their crepe pan all the time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im like some others....cast iron. I grew up with my granny using them. Now I still use my father in law's cast iron skillets that he got from his grandmother. They are old and I keep them seasoned.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm on my second 12" Caphalon nonstick skillet. It's my daily workhorse and will last a few years before the coating inevitably gets too scratched up. In fact I also have a 10" Caphalon. I use cast iron occasionally for specific things but I don't like the hassle of cleaning it for everyday use.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I also don't know about joy, but we got a set of Gotham Steel ceramic pans off Woot! pretty cheap a couple of years ago. They feel like they're right in the middle between the cheap stuff and higher end pans. They've held up well and are still easy to clean. Obviously you can't put them in the dishwasher. So far it looks like they'll last until kids are out of the house.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i switched to cast iron pans a couple years ago and yeah, don't need anything else now.

still have to get rid of my old second/third-hand Teflon-coated pans, as i don't think any of them are safe to use anymore
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I should add that I also have a cast iron skillet, but due to the pain of cleaning, I use it only for very specific things (mostly cornbread, and a skillet apple pie I make pretty regularly).

I use non-stick almost exclusively for eggs, and some heavy duty stainless steel for everything else. I much prefer using the SS pans because I know I can burn stuff in them, cook sloppily, leave stuff in them to dry, etc. and just never have a problem cleaning them due to the fact that you can clean the shit out of them with whatever violent method you choose, chemical, or physical (or both!). :D Also if they are small I enough, I can (and do) throw them in the dishwasher.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:01 pm Im like some others....cast iron. I grew up with my granny using them. Now I still use my father in law's cast iron skillets that he got from his grandmother. They are old and I keep them seasoned.
So did I. My grandmother had almost nothing but. But now I live in a world where I can't even get people to flush the toilet reliably. I can guarantee that a cast iron skillet will be soap-scrubbed or put away wet every week or two.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A professional cook told me a while back that modern dish soap won't actually ruin the seasoning on a cast iron pan. While I generally trust him as a source of information, I haven't seen a reason to test it out on my own well-seasoned frying pan. Keeping it clean has been pretty simple: I rinse it with hot water, scrub it with a nylon scouring pad, then rince and repeat until it's clean and I can wipe it dry with a paper towel without picking up any grunge on the towel. Then I put it back on a hot burner to cook off any moisture, rub in a drop of avocado oil while the pan is hot and set it aside to cool off.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:30 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:01 pm Im like some others....cast iron. I grew up with my granny using them. Now I still use my father in law's cast iron skillets that he got from his grandmother. They are old and I keep them seasoned.
So did I. My grandmother had almost nothing but. But now I live in a world where I can't even get people to flush the toilet reliably. I can guarantee that a cast iron skillet will be soap-scrubbed or put away wet every week or two.
I feel ya. When my 17 YO starts cooking stuff in the kitchen, I physically grimace because there's a high chance with each event that something I love in the kitchen will die, or be ruined (in my view). :P

Kinda the same feeling when we had a SUPER responsible and mature maybe 21 YO babysitting our kids years ago. VERY smart kid, amazing with our kids, the whole package. We had just put down new wall to wall berber carpet in the playroom upstairs, and somehow our aged dog made it up there and either puked or worse, not sure (we were away). Unfortunately the sitter grabbed a bleach based cleaner to use on the carpet, and...well, let's just say the carpet WAS not white. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smart is smart but with age comes experience and info.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:51 am Smart is smart but with age comes experience and info.
Smart is knowing tomatoes are a fruit.
Wise is knowing not to put them in fruit salad.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smart is for wizards.
Wise is for clerics.

Duh.

(Also, 'wizard' literally means 'wise', which makes D&D confusing.)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:49 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:51 am Smart is smart but with age comes experience and info.
Stolen.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, that's a classic. This is what I taught my kids.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smart is knowing that Frankenstein was not the monster.
Wise is knowing that Frankenstein was the real monster.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

lol

So is kingdom such as Disney wanting to be dominated by a mouse?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:28 pm lol

So is kingdom such as Disney wanting to be dominated by a mouse?
By a king.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, that was justdumb.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Woot currently has a sale on Breville kitchen some stainless some anodized. Ok, well the skillets are all stainless. They might bring some joy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Next up: Floor fan! I use one in the living room, both to circulate air (the living room is L-shaped, with the window AC at the top pointing down, and we need to push air into the base of the L) and for VR (to blow on me to keep me cool and oriented.)

I need a full sized floor fan with variable speeds, the ability to tilt vertically, and that runs quietly enough not to interfere with other activities. Oscillation is not needed, and a fan on a post wouldn't work (I need to be able to have it blowing at a steep angle from below when using VR.) Most of the stuff I'm seeing online looks cheap, and, as always, online reviews have become seriously unreliable.

Does anyone have a favorite brand that isn't a high-priced boutique model?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Box fans
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I have a Patton floor fan that I have been using for nearly 20 years and it seems bulletproof. It's pretty similar to this:

https://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/prod ... ity-fan-2/

It's a pretty common design. It's not super noisy on low but gets loud on high. I recommend it because it's stood up to a lot of use and abuse, but there may well be better out there.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:04 am
Stolen.
He left out the third line: Philosophy is pondering whether a bloody mary counts as a smoothie.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Never had satisfactory tweezers for splinters until I found these or some made the same way. The point is sort of beveled which is what makes all the difference. Tweezers like these https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Point-Sp ... 97&sr=8-12
Stop funding for NPR
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:19 pmBox fans
Yes, box fans.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:21 pm I have a Patton floor fan that I have been using for nearly 20 years and it seems bulletproof. It's pretty similar to this:

https://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/prod ... ity-fan-2/

It's a pretty common design. It's not super noisy on low but gets loud on high. I recommend it because it's stood up to a lot of use and abuse, but there may well be better out there.
Thanks. Unfortunately, Patton itself seems to have disappeared from the universe (at least as far as their fans go, unless you want to pay two or three times the normal price), but the design would work. The problem is finding a brand that isn't just cheap knockoff junk.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I used to buy Vornado, and they had a heavy duty circle fan that sat on a mount that was awesome at the bottom of our basement stairs. It circulated air up/down the stairwell for 3 stories.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon