The Product Recommendation Thread of Joy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: The Product Recommendation Thread of Joy

Post by Kraken »

I still have the all-metal floor fan that my parents used, and it still works. Too well. Wife won't let me bring it upstairs and use it because it's too powerful, even on low, and because its paint job belies its age. But she's not a fan of fans in general. I'll give it to you if you want to come pick it up. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One more - can openers. I've had three or four crappy ones in a row, despite high 'ratings'. In fact, I just had to break out the pocket knife to finish opening a can that my high-rated opener couldn't cut. I've been stuck with manual crank can openers due to limited counter space, but would also consider one that mounted under a cabinet.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:12 pm One more - can openers. I've had three or four crappy ones in a row, despite high 'ratings'. In fact, I just had to break out the pocket knife to finish opening a can that my high-rated opener couldn't cut. I've been stuck with manual crank can openers due to limited counter space, but would also consider one that mounted under a cabinet.
I've been suffering from really bad can openers. Did you try an EZ-DUZ-IT? https://www.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ-Deluxe-Op ... 6067&psc=1

I've been thinking of getting one of those, but if you had one, and it was crap I'd like to know?

I might have to resort to a P-38
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:12 pm One more - can openers. I've had three or four crappy ones in a row, despite high 'ratings'. In fact, I just had to break out the pocket knife to finish opening a can that my high-rated opener couldn't cut. I've been stuck with manual crank can openers due to limited counter space, but would also consider one that mounted under a cabinet.
Try one of these, it'll rock your world:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My late wife discovered those side opening can openers many years ago (like in the 2000s) and we never went back to the old ones. Even tossed our electric ones in the trash. My last reason was I grabbed a trash bag to carry out and a can lid sliced down to the bone instantly on my finger. I knew what happened soon as it happened and jerked my hand up before blood could even start. It was right down to the bone.. I kept the finger together and it healed fine with no stitches luckily.

Im still using a side opener my wife bought back around 2010. Still works. Though sometimes it takes a second time around the lid to cut the little tailings off so the lid removes clean. I should buy a brand new one. Doubt I would have to do that with a new one. It would fit tighter and turn better.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I found OXO brand to be the most reliable over the years. It's always more expensive than other stuff in the store but I've never regretted a single purchase.

With that said, I've never had a single can opener break, of any brand - but that may be because they just made them more durable 15-20 years ago (which might be how old our is).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:15 pm I found OXO brand to be the most reliable over the years. It's always more expensive than other stuff in the store but I've never regretted a single purchase.

With that said, I've never had a single can opener break, of any brand - but that may be because they just made them more durable 15-20 years ago (which might be how old our is).
I have one that's at least that old and still works fine. It has white rubberized handles. Look for the white handles.

I'm intrigued by the variety explained in that video and would try that if my white-handled opener ever stops working.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Serious Eats: We Tested 28 Can Openers—Here Are The Best Ones
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at can openers I think thats the first time in my life Ive seen a single handle one and it works. No more scissoring in on them eh? I remember the old old ones coming with a magnet on them to hold the lid once cut.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:15 pm I found OXO brand to be the most reliable over the years. It's always more expensive than other stuff in the store but I've never regretted a single purchase.

I'm guessing that it may be partly the age. The few OXO products I've owned have broken fairly quickly under normally use.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Cheap but effective room air purifiers? :D
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Freyland wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:52 am Cheap but effective room air purifiers? :D
The Wirecutter really likes the Coway, and it's reasonably inexpensive.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Nice. Thank you.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

We used a different model Coway while in Seoul. It worked great with cooking smells and smoke from my wife cooking bacon. As far as I know it worked fairly well on the other things in the air but even on the worst air days I couldn't tell much difference with it running or with it off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:36 pm I still have the all-metal floor fan that my parents used, and it still works. Too well. Wife won't let me bring it upstairs and use it because it's too powerful, even on low, and because its paint job belies its age. But she's not a fan of fans in general. I'll give it to you if you want to come pick it up. :)
I thought you said 'metal floor VAN and wondered how you were supposed to get it upstairs for a second.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gbasden wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:26 pm
Freyland wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:52 am Cheap but effective room air purifiers? :D
I recently picked up that one (although the black -HHS model which adds wifi and app control because that's definitely something I needed) and like it. Bigger than I'd like, but it's whisper-quiet and the filters are no joke.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:56 pm
I recently picked up that one (although the black -HHS model which adds wifi and app control because that's definitely something I needed) and like it. Bigger than I'd like, but it's whisper-quiet and the filters are no joke.
Oh cmon.....you know the real reason you bought it was this.......

He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stimpy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:02 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:56 pm
Oh cmon.....you know the real reason you bought it was this.......

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Walking shoes. I need good ones, where "good" means comfortable, durable, optimized for walking, and orthopedically correct. Historically I've favored Reeboks and New Balance, but my current pair of NBs let me down so I'm looking for a new brand. Hoping for personal recommendations.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

On my feet a lot at work. ASICS Novablasts are heaven on my feet. Lots of great mid-sole tech in recent footwear has really improved things in recent years.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm gonna have to look for some of those at the Goodwill. :doh:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Meal wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:57 pm On my feet a lot at work. ASICS Novablasts are heaven on my feet. Lots of great mid-sole tech in recent footwear has really improved things in recent years.
I'll have to look into those. This article on the difference between running and walking shoes says that a fitness walker like me should look for running shoes with particular characteristics. I'm not averse to paying for top quality, although I'd prefer not to pay top dollar.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:43 pm Walking shoes. I need good ones, where "good" means comfortable, durable, optimized for walking, and orthopedically correct. Historically I've favored Reeboks and New Balance, but my current pair of NBs let me down so I'm looking for a new brand. Hoping for personal recommendations.
I think that’s something so specific to your particular biology that reco’s could backfire.

I’ve bought several running shoes on glowing recommendations only to find them horribly uncomfortable for my feet. I should note that I have absurdly flat feet…

But I will submit the shoes that made me actually smile when wearing them initially, they were so comfortable:
Saucony Triumph

They also make me feel like I’ve donned a pair of AWD shoes if there was such a thing. So much traction you can FEEL it (in a good way, not bad). Grippy as hell.

If you’ve ever bought or driven a car with ‘ultra-high performance’ tires, try to put that feeling in terms of shoes. :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I love my Skecher's sandals. They aren't the cheapy $15 pair you get a Costco though. They were a $35 or $45 pair at a shoe store. They were literally the only sandal I could find that fit my foot in a DSW. After wearing them most every day since May, my feet don't actually hurt just sliding in to normal shoes any more. They are my walking shoe. The only negative is I don't like the feel of grass poking through and most especially hate wet grass poking through. I guess there is another negative. I wear socks with my sandals and socks get wet for any reason in a sandal.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:43 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:43 pm Walking shoes. I need good ones, where "good" means comfortable, durable, optimized for walking, and orthopedically correct. Historically I've favored Reeboks and New Balance, but my current pair of NBs let me down so I'm looking for a new brand. Hoping for personal recommendations.
I think that’s something so specific to your particular biology that reco’s could backfire.
I will *probably* go into a store and try some on, since sizes can vary between brands. I can wear anything from a 9 to a 10 depending on the manufacturer. I'd just like to go into it armed with some recommendations, and won't rule out ordering online (I hate shopping so much). Unfortunately my right NB shoe's sole started to separate from its upper today, so I can't postpone this for long. I'll look at the Saucony Triumph.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Go to a store that caters to runners and let their staff work with you. Based on the first pair I was recommended, I'm on my third pair of Brooks Ghosts.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There's a brand called OrthoFeet that makes shoes with the cushioning and support that I'm confident will solve my pain issues. Wife swears by a pair of their sandals that she wears all the time. However, some digging indicates that the soles aren't especially durable, because people who need orthopedic shoes aren't big walkers. I've decided to replace my old worn-out sandals with theirs, which will upgrade my casual walking-around during the summer.

For athletic walking I need a sole that will last, so I'm going to take Isg's advice and *go to the mall* to seek the "professional" advice of a shoe salesman, who I guess are footwear technicians now. I either need an orthotic shoe with good treads or a good running shoe with orthotic features. Brands that I will seek out are Rockport, Brooks, Asics, and Saucony, based on recommendations here. (Sorry, LM, but the only pair of Sketchers I ever owned were pretty sketchy.)

I had intended to take care of this tomorrow but I injured my car tonight, so I'm probably going to have to deal with that first.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wasted several hours at the mall today. The first shoe store I went into triggered my social anxiety and I had to leave within 5 minutes (Wife also felt uncomfortable and was happy to leave) -- too crowded with too many youngsters, and bad music playing loudly. The second one, Foot Locker, was less intense, but their brand selection was narrow and the kids working there didn't know much more about shoes than I do or display any interest in helping an old man whose feet hurt. Then I wandered around DSW for an hour, looking at random shoes and checking reviews online. That was fruitless.

I did have a chicken sandwich at Popeyes, so that's checked off my bucket list. It wasn't the sublime experience I'd been led to expect but it was OK.

When I got home I did some intensive googling on "best orthotic running shoes," and after agonizing over many reviews I spent a whopping $140 on a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22s. (They are better reviewed for orthotics than the Ghosts -- specifically, they have some heel rails to prevent pronating, which is a thing I do.) Based on the sizing recommendation on the manufacturer's site I went half a size over my usual, so we'll see if they fit right.

The review complains that they're heavy, but I don't think that will be a concern since I walk rather than running.

I plan to wear these shoes and the $75 OrthoFeet sandals that are on their way for a week and see if my foot and leg pains subside at all. If they don't, I'll see my doctor. I've been reluctant to seek medical attention because I'm sure the first thing he'll do is ask me about my shoes. My research says I'll soon be wearing the best footwear available short of custom orthotics.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

By the way, I don't think Issie was talking about general shoe stores (like DSW or Foot Locker). Those stores are unlikely to have anyone that actually knows much about shoes. He was talking about stores specifically for runners. I know there are a number around here. They are rarely in malls. One like Runner's Roost. Stores like this are far more likely to have employees with experience and knowledge to assist.

Which reminds me that it's something I've been considering for a while. Though, like you, I don't run either. But I could benefit from help picking appropriate shoes.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Someplace like Marathon Sports in Norwell.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yes, well I hope I've obviated the need for that, but if the Brooks Adrenalines don't work out I'll seek professional help next time. My foot already hurts a little less since placing the order.

And in the spirit of this thread I'll deliver a review after I've had them for a while.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, if they work, next time you can get a replacement at a local establishment.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:Yes, well I hope I've obviated the need for that, but if the Brooks Adrenalines don't work out I'll seek professional help next time. My foot already hurts a little less since placing the order.
For what it's worth, Brooks Adrenalines have been my shoe of choice both at work (where I frequently walk 10k+ steps per day on concrete floors) and as a day-to-day sneaker for a few years now. I don't wear them to help with any particular problem, but they're very well cushioned and suit me well for times when I'm on my feet all day. That said, everyone's feet are different...Brooks shoes just tend to work well for me. I've loved them since I got a pair of Ravennas (now called the Ghost GTS) as my first serious shoes for running almost ten years ago. They're not cheap, but they're great shoes.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

And FWIW - if any octopi end up purchasing running shoes and liking them, do know that the companies often revamp their products year to year. It's like a competitive running shoe arms race, adding the newest technology/etc. So - just because you love a certain shoe (I currently use Saucony Guides), it might feel very different in the next iteration. I've had some yearly versions I've liked more than others.

Also - last year's models of running shoes are usually a lot cheaper if you find them on clearance sale when the new ones are arriving. The tough part then is usually finding your size.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:51 pm And FWIW - if any octopi end up purchasing running shoes and liking them, do know that the companies often revamp their products year to year. It's like a competitive running shoe arms race, adding the newest technology/etc. So - just because you love a certain shoe (I currently use Saucony Guides), it might feel very different in the next iteration. I've had some yearly versions I've liked more than others.

Also - last year's models of running shoes are usually a lot cheaper if you find them on clearance sale when the new ones are arriving. The tough part then is usually finding your size.
For a long time I bought Reebok "classics" that locked in a successful design for years without changing. I think the number was 608. It looked like BOB in their font and I bought Bobs at least three times.

The Adrenaline 22 is an improvement over the 21 but doesn't equal the 19, say the reviewers. Let us not speak of the 20. :) Even if these prove to be God's shoes, I won't just automatically keep buying them for the rest of my life. Most athletic shoes are good for 500-600 miles, which is about one good year of walking.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've got a p-38 & p-51 on the way, the can openers that is. LOL I guess I was feeling nostalgic plus they travel well and they made the list.

Best running shoes I ever had were some Reebok with hexalite circa 1990 or so. They weren't even running shoes, but cross trainers. If I could order a dozen pairs today I would. I used Brooks in high school '80s because they were cheaply priced and good, but we had to travel to the big city of Inverness to get them. The plus was that there was a hobby store in the adjacent strip mall. :mrgreen:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Maybe I should've just bought another pair of BOBs, if they still exist. But Reebok got sold and re-sold over the past few years so I'd be surprised if they're still making BOBs.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to live in Reebok cross trainers and brands just like them in the 90s. Reebok lasted the longest though. They were black mid top and light. Loved them. I still mostly wear black should a lot like them only not half tops. Always liked black shoes. Stuck with some comfy brown ones these days. Want some new black ones and maybe wven a pair of white tennis shoes. Not sure.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:51 pm And FWIW - if any octopi end up purchasing running shoes and liking them, do know that the companies often revamp their products year to year. It's like a competitive running shoe arms race, adding the newest technology/etc. So - just because you love a certain shoe (I currently use Saucony Guides), it might feel very different in the next iteration. I've had some yearly versions I've liked more than others.

Even from store to store they can be different. Sketchers are one of my favourite brands, and upon seeing some at Walmart after having bought a pair elsewhere, I was surprised by how different the versions they sold were, ie they were of a much inferior quality, with a much harder sole, and the difference was rather striking.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:59 am Maybe I should've just bought another pair of BOBs, if they still exist. But Reebok got sold and re-sold over the past few years so I'd be surprised if they're still making BOBs.
The only BOBs in the shoe market are from Skechers.