Entry level certifications

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Entry level certifications

Post by Xmann »

My son is 19 and is interested in learning some type of entry level certification to begin a career. He just finished his first year of college and absolutely hated it. He has social anxiety so I'm sure that played a part.

He does have interests in computer data, IT, medical coding, etc. He prefers a remote learning program and opportunities to work remotely. He wants to travel and have the ability to work remotely.

What type of programs or certification should he consider? What's in demand? He knows and understands he's gotta start at the ground floor and work his way up.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Re: Entry level certifications

Post by Smoove_B »

There are fully remote medical coding certificate programs, but I'm not sure if they all have the same pre-reqs:
Applicants must have completed Anatomy and Physiology I & II with a grade of C or better prior to the start of program courses.
That said, if it's something he likes and if he decides he wants to go back to school, the program I linked above does allow for the transfer of credits into a bachelor degree of health information management. Not sure if that's common. I'd probably be looking at the job postings for positions he's interested in an see if they name specific certificates as part of the description and then go from there.

Someone closer to hospital systems would need to comment on value and demand, but my impression is that they're always looking for certified/knowledgeable people in this field.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
raydude

Post by raydude »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:39 am There are fully remote medical coding certificate programs, but I'm not sure if they all have the same pre-reqs:
Applicants must have completed Anatomy and Physiology I & II with a grade of C or better prior to the start of program courses.
That said, if it's something he likes and if he decides he wants to go back to school, the program I linked above does allow for the transfer of credits into a bachelor degree of health information management. Not sure if that's common. I'd probably be looking at the job postings for positions he's interested in an see if they name specific certificates as part of the description and then go from there.

Someone closer to hospital systems would need to comment on value and demand, but my impression is that they're always looking for certified/knowledgeable people in this field.
I can't comment on hospital systems per se but I do know for science/engineering fields a person who has a science/engineering background and also codes is preferable to someone who just does coding.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

If he wants to be a digital nomad he needs to learn how to dropship, or become a developer - otherwise it can be difficult to work on the road (our company for example intercepts non-Canadian logins as a security alert and your ass is fired if you're working from another country aside from a quick vacation/email check in).

IT wise if he can get in as a tier 1 helpdesk or SOC analyst, he can start building experience - I'd really recommend any Azure and AWS certifications - high demand right now. I'd also recommend he take an IT college program online or something, it's always good to have in your back pocket for insurance (Take it from a guy who's an IT executive with a grade 12 education formally; it was a hard path to get here, and I think getting harder).
No.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

FishPants wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:28 pm it was a hard path to get here, and I think getting harder).
We are desperate for Tech folks, but not so desperate as to bring in the... uhhh... unbachelored? Having spent the past 30 years as a paid developer, I recognize just how little value my comp sci degree really has, but my org still pretty strongly insists on some 4 year degree. There are exceptions, but they are rare. That may all change in the new working world, but we aren't changing yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You can get yourself certified in the various CompTIA certs. Study material is easily available, but not really free. Some are just memorization, but are about application of knowledge and multi-level diagnosis. Main barrier is study time, retention, and access to sample tests.

The Google / Coursera courses are pretty cheap in general.

And there's always community college.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds