AI Generated Imagery

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: AI Generated Imagery

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dang, Max. You're on a roll!

And somehow I'm not able to access the site anymore.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Now we need to brace ourselves for 5 mediocre “Simpson style “ entries from Daehawk.

:D I kid
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think they might have banned my IP address. I can't access the site at all. Firefox tells me it can't find the site. I admit I used it a lot, at every opportunity I could which still felt like normal use, but a ban seems rather excessive? And who wouldn't use such a cool tool? So, those of you who are using it a lot, be careful.
Last edited by Rumpy on Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well talk about getting what you ask for

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Enlarge Image
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Given The Dude's outfit, I was hoping "Obi-Wan Lebowski" would produce some interesting images. It did not, so here we are:
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's pretty amazing how oddly specific one can make something and still have it come out in a reasonable result.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That really ties the room together.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I approve of all the Golden Girls stuff. Carry on.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This AI is lame. "Darth Vader ramming a bassoon up Tucker Carlson's anus" produced nothing recognizable. :(
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:15 pm This AI is lame. "Darth Vader ramming a bassoon up Tucker Carlson's anus" produced nothing recognizable. :(
Probably only because the AI is just as baffled in trying to piece something together.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

BTW, if you leave it blank, it'll still able to draw.

If you do that, most of the time you'll have at least one drawing of women wearing saree.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:28 pm BTW, if you leave it blank, it'll still able to draw.

If you do that, most of the time you'll have at least one drawing of women wearing saree.
Yeah, I just saw an article on Gizmodo about that: DALL-E Mini Is Obsessed With Women in Saris, and No One Knows Why

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:24 pm Enlarge Image
You’re doing god’s work, my friend.
Covfefe!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

It does seem to do a good job with claymation.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:35 pm
Enlarge Image
that's funny because i was thinking last week if one had to do quick cover art illustrations for say, public domain e-texts, this works pretty well

one result of 'zarathustra on a cliff top staring at the sun rise in the style of 19th century engraving'

throw the (unfortunately low-res) generated image into the Penguin Classics Cover Generator and

EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Enlarge Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not just an empty input string that results in consistently weird output. Inputting arbitrary nonsense sequences will produce consistent sets of contextually related images.

A couple of examples:

This string produces images that look like group photo ops, sometimes with people in military uniforms. Small changes to the string don't seem to make much difference to how DALL-E interprets the prompt. A completely different string that was also just the result of mashing keys also produced group photos, but in that case they looked like class photos at a martial arts school, with groups of people wearing white martial arts uniforms in what appeared to be gymnasiums. I didn't save a copy of that one though.
Enlarge Image

This string (a set of Jack Box Party game codes) produces images of electrical infrastructure.
Enlarge Image

The way that it is generating fully composed scenes like this make me wonder if it might actually be dumping out images that were used to train the IA rather than synthetically generated images.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Max Peck on Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Now that one is nightmare inducing. Feels like the kind of stuff in Cronenberg's latest movie. Probably should be spoilered due to content.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:31 pm It's not just an empty input string that results in consistently weird output. Inputting arbitrary nonsense sequences will produce consistent sets of contextually related images.

The way that it is generating fully composed scenes like this make me wonder if it might actually be dumping out images that were used to train the IA rather than synthetically generated images.
It's possible, but a lot of both image sites and video sites (that of course have and image thumbnail) use seemingly random text strings to shorten URL's for linking. For instance, the Ms. Marvel Ep.4 Clip link is shortened to "_IagU74GaeA". Is it searching in real time? Is it limiting itself to description metadata? There might be link we just don't see.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 am
Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:31 pm It's not just an empty input string that results in consistently weird output. Inputting arbitrary nonsense sequences will produce consistent sets of contextually related images.

It's possible, but a lot of both image sites and video sites (that of course have and image thumbnail) use seemingly random text strings to shorten URL's for linking. For instance, the Ms. Marvel Ep.4 Clip link is shortened to "_IagU74GaeA". Is it searching in real time? Is it limiting itself to description metadata? There might be link we just don't see.
Those encoded links are generated from meaningful information though. You can't reliably type in random gibberish and have it resolve to a valid address. With Craiyon, literally any garbage input will result in output that looks better in terms of composition than what it generates from meaningful prompts. The fact that it is consistently higher quality than the synthetic output from a meaningful prompt that makes me think that the model is short-circuiting in some way from the garbage input and just dumping out lightly processed copies of real images that it has siphoned up as training data.

I'm just speculating as to why this happens, obviously. I just find it very interesting that it is happening at all. If I had written the code to handle the prompt input, random nonsense like this would be handled as an error condition. :lol:

DarkOverLord

Post by DarkOverLord »

AI is really the future! 8-)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's also possible that when it doesn't get results on the full string, it starts truncating it until it does, and at some point google will 'fix' it to something close ("Did you mean..."), and many image filenames are just strings of characters. Once Google starts to show you it's best guess, it will also show you related images - resulting in a single search term and closely related images.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:20 pm It's also possible that when it doesn't get results on the full string, it starts truncating it until it does, and at some point google will 'fix' it to something close ("Did you mean..."), and many image filenames are just strings of characters. Once Google starts to show you it's best guess, it will also show you related images - resulting in a single search term and closely related images.
I don't believe it's simply truncating the string. One of the things I did was make small changes to the arbitrary string, at the beginning, middle and end, and the small (single-character at a time) changes didn't seem to make much difference to the types of images being generated. In a sense it feels like a badly implemented hash function, where small changes in the key still produce similar results (whereas with an actual hash function, even a minute change to the key results in a radically different result). It's as if the AI is running the meaningless input through it's parser and assigning an arbitrary meaning, and if different inputs are sufficiently similar then they collapse into the same "meaning" as each other.

Interestingly (to me, ymmv), the AI can recognize meaningful structure in a prompt even when it is technically nontextual. For example, the prompt `1234567890-= qwertyuiop[]\ asdfghjkl;' zxcvbnm,./ will generate images of keyboards.
Enlarge Image

As with the completely arbitrary strings, small changes to the prompt still produce the same type of output images.
Enlarge Image

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

However, the AI's ability to recognize meaningful structure will break down sooner or later. A human will likely recognize 1=2-30495867 q\w]e[rptoyiu a's;dlfkgjh z/x.c,vmbn as a systematically permuted row-wise list of characters on a QWERTY keyboard, but for the AI things get weird and it generates images skewed toward dishes containing food and shoreline scenes.

Enlarge Image

It's interesting that the weird output from weird inputs tend to be Asian-themed to the extent that they are recognizable.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, I decided to mess with it. I first started with a random password generator (to avoid having anything similar to real terms, like 'QWERTY' or 'ASDF') ,instructed to create 15-character strings of uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and symbols. I generated three of them as a 'sentence' and fiddled around with them, numbering each 'word' for reference. I got some... interesting results. In some, I placed a second image that shows what you get if you search the same 'phrase' in Google Images. In some of the results, you can see how the Google result influenced the image results. Like in 1-2, the Google result gave several distinctly circular elements, several with bright colors and dark backgrounds, and multiple images with a broad range of colors, and all of the Craiyon results are circular and colorful. Some of them really were based on actual search results from nonsense strings. And in some you can see that there are certain similar elements across them. Note the bottom center in 1-2-3 and the whole of 3-2-1.

I'd need to put a lot more time into the process to get anything actually meaningful (and I'm too lazy, and only mildly curious), but I am guessing that it is using multiple search engines to collect results. It may also be searching for text responses from the phrases and looking for key words (references to artistic styles, colors, whatever.) What you end up seeing is both the Craiyon AI and the search algorithms of companies like Google and Microsoft all interacting. And yeah, it's entirely likely that there are 'fallback' default things that it does if it gets limited results - like having it do 'Mona Lisa', which gives almost a whole page of nearly identical images, but returns the Mona Lisa with Craiyon duck lips.

Base sentence, 1-2-3:
Spoiler:
1-2
Spoiler:
1 only
Spoiler:
1-2-4 (made up a completely different final 'word' to see if that messed with it - I fear I may have the Illuminati knocking on my door after posting this.)
Spoiler:
3-2-1
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's a mood...

Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How come everything it draws for me has its faced mushed up? Its kinda freaky. I mean its NEVER clear.