Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:26 am a cow with 'Trump 2020' tattoos
Is this literal?
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We were in Great Barrington last weekend, a super liberal little city, and there was a house at a prominent intersection a few miles out of town that had a big "F the Left" sign over a huge Trump 2024 poster and a "Let's Go Brandon!" sign. That fellow is in a very tiny minority out there, but he's making sure everybody knows it.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:17 pm
Perhaps he’s also Jew-ish? Anyhow I’m sure his treatment of drag queens et al has made him sympathetic to the misfortune of all mistreated people and they should vote for him also.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:26 am a cow with 'Trump 2020' tattoos
Is this literal?
Not that I know of, but the fact that I expected this question is telling.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Also telling is the idea that I didn't question it at all. :lol:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, we all know there are easily more than a dozen cows out there with Trump tattoos.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, things are going great in Florida:

Florida HB1421 is defined so broadly, it would ban health insurance coverage for birth control, HRT for menopause, treatments for breast cancer, including mastectomies, treatments for prostate cancer, and any treatment that involves primary or secondary sex characteristics.

This isn't just an atrocious law, it's poorly drafted. It does not limit its definition of "gender clinical intervention" to gender affirming care. It would apply to everyone. In their zeal to persecute trans people, they are banning treatment for cancer.

Some might say, well Florida won't enforce it on those conditions and only target gender affirming care. They forget that there's a private right of action provision that extends malpractice statute of limitations to 30 years and removes caps on punitive damages.

This would absolutely destroy the medical profession in Florida by making malpractice insurance unavailable. Any person who receives a procedure that alters a primary or secondary sex characteristic can sue, and this could be for cancer treatment that involves hormones.
Additional reporting here:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And for added measure:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ′ administration is moving to forbid classroom instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in all grades, expanding the controversial law critics call “Don’t Say Gay” as the Republican governor continues to focus on cultural issues ahead of his expected presidential run.

The proposal, which would not require legislative approval, is scheduled for a vote next month before the state Board of Education and has been put forward by the state Education Department, both of which are led by appointees of the governor.

The rule change would ban lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity from grades 4 to 12, unless required by existing state standards or as part of reproductive health instruction that students can choose not to take. The initial law that DeSantis championed last spring bans those lessons in kindergarten through the third grade. The change was first reported by the Orlando Sentinel.
Not sure what it's going to take, but until that point comes I guess he can continue to just chip away.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Chipping away... He chips away by testing the waters with a tiny chisel, then switches to a wrecking ball.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

And now things are so insane we are cancelling Renaissance artists and firing principals for it because one parent objects. Insane.

I thought we spent years fighting religious extremism. Seems a shame we are now on the brink of living in DeSantistan.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I don’t think Disney should have had the powers they did, but this is funny:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zarathud

All Things DeSantis

Post by Zarathud »

Disney kept quiet because they exercised their power to limit DeSantis to the maximum extent of the common law.

There is a common law rule limiting “perpetuities” restricting land beyond the lifetimes of those living — often measured by the royal family. The new king had to be able to liberate the land for their followers, after all, and usually took power by killing the old king. By the time this gets sorted, all of DeSantis’ allies will be gone.

This exposes DeSantis as chasing the headline only and being ineffective in crushing his enemies. He’s not as competent as he claims.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yes, legal precedent and social norms will always prevail. Right?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What keeps him from just disbanding the entire board and creating a new one?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:What keeps him from just disbanding the entire board and creating a new one?
A (currently) binding legal agreement.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

A legal agreement that runs with the land until DeSantis is dead (measured by actual royal lives).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:55 am A legal agreement that runs with the land until DeSantis is dead (measured by actual royal lives).
Or until the Banana Republicans take over the property by imminent domain.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Quick, while everyone of focused on that other guy:

Hell of a time to let people know you’re going to change the resign-to-run law.
For those unaware:
Florida law requires anyone running for a new office to put in an irrevocable letter of resignation ahead of qualifying if the terms of the two offices overlap.
malchior

Post by malchior »

DeSantis is throwing a three finger pudding size tantrum and asked the Florida IG to investigate the Disney Charles III end run. But...

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Asleep at DeWheel.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:34 pm DeSantis is throwing a three finger pudding size tantrum and asked the Florida IG to investigate the Disney Charles III end run. But...

This is just perfect. Disney has top-notch lawyers. I mean, seriously, top-notch. This is the difference between bush league law and pro ball. It's always in the details.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Better late than never.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why are the GOP so evil? All they want to do is going backwards and hurt people they dont agree with. Im glad Im the opposite.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:24 pm Why are the GOP so evil? All they want to do is going backwards and hurt people they dont agree with. Im glad Im the opposite.
In your state, being glad just doesn't cut it. Gonna have to be more than just glad I'm afraid.
Sorry... The GOP is partly as evil as they are because states like TN give them power and people in TN that don't think like them don't push back hard enough (or have enough support from the silent that actually could be vocally/actively supporting them to push back). I'm guessing many folks in TN are just like you -- and that doesn't seem to mater... I wonder why.
malchior

Post by malchior »

DeSantis is really going all in on courting the QAnon ilk.

It was a little unclear where he said this until I saw this article. I am assuming the above is from a raw feed transcript from the event.

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Unagi wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:44 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:24 pm Why are the GOP so evil? All they want to do is going backwards and hurt people they dont agree with. Im glad Im the opposite.
In your state, being glad just doesn't cut it. Gonna have to be more than just glad I'm afraid.
Sorry... The GOP is partly as evil as they are because states like TN give them power and people in TN that don't think like them don't push back hard enough (or have enough support from the silent that actually could be vocally/actively supporting them to push back). I'm guessing many folks in TN are just like you -- and that doesn't seem to mater... I wonder why.
Not sure what you're saying. I live in Florida...native Floridian, but I absolutely don't agree with anything GOP and Desantis related. You have to get out and vote. I'm not sure what you're implying that people do other than move out of the state or vote? You can be vocal...won't do any good. Can disagree all you want but when it boils down to elections, that's all you can do.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Vote and perhaps speak out... and make sure other people that 'are not evil' go out and vote and perhaps get them to speak out too.

I'm basically saying "the only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men do nothing." We cannot live in the middle of this insanity and sit by and just be happy we aren't evil.

I don't mean it to be an attack on Daehawk. I just want to take TN by the collar and wake-em up a bit, and Daehawk is the closest thing I got to the TN 'common good man', assuming they are out there.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:47 pm Vote and perhaps speak out... and make sure other people that 'are not evil' go out and vote and perhaps get them to speak out too.

I'm basically saying "the only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men do nothing." We cannot live in the middle of this insanity and sit by and just be happy we aren't evil.

I don't mean it to be an attack on Daehawk. I just want to take TN by the collar and wake-em up a bit, and Daehawk is the closest thing I got to the TN 'common good man', assuming they are out there.
Understand. Same with Florida.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm putting this here because it demonstrates why he shouldn't be in elected office of any kind:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed a bill that would ban most abortions in the state after six weeks, according to a release from the governor’s office late Thursday night.

The six-week ban would not go into effect until the state Supreme Court overturns its previous precedent on abortion.

“We are proud to support life and family in the state of Florida,” DeSantis said in the release.

Victims of rape, incest and human trafficking could obtain an abortion up to 15 weeks into a pregnancy, under the legislation, if the woman provides a restraining order, police report, medical record or other evidence.

The bill would also ban doctors from prescribing an abortion via telehealth and require medication for abortion be dispensed by a physician, not by mail.
To put it another way, in order to get an abortion in FL, a woman would need to supply paperwork - effectively a permit. If you want to purchase a gun in FL? If you want to carry one? No permit needed.

Our country is genuinely broken.

EDIT: Adding photo of the signing ceremony so you can see all the women standing around celebrating a man taking away their rights. Amazing.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Shots like this will probably someday be published in a book about the propaganda of this time.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm shocked there is only one infant in the picture.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

All I is a bunch of white women who already had their kids and don't give a shit what happens to all the brown ladies.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm putting this here because it expands on a bill that was signed by DeSantis:
Florida education officials voted on Wednesday to ban classroom instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation in all public school grades, expanding on a law signed by Republican Governor Ron DeSantis that barred such lessons for younger students and was derided by critics as the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

The board, whose members are appointed by the governor, unanimously approved prohibiting lessons on gender identity or sexual orientation in grades four through 12, unless the instruction is required by state standards or is part of a health class that parents can opt their children out of.

Last year, DeSantis signed legislation that outlawed instruction on gender identity and sexual orientation from kindergarten through third grade, arguing that parents, rather than teachers, should decide when to discuss those subjects with their children.

Violating the rule could result in the suspension or revocation of an educator's teaching license.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The logic is absurd.

You pick whatever book or subject that "X" is and:

Any Florida parent could keep their child totally devoid of "X" until they reach the age of 18... At which point they may be compelled to die for America...

But yeah, let's make sure our kids are not groomed.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

DeSantis is picking a fight with Disney... spending tax dollars on how to f- with Disney for personal reasons. His latest idea seems to be "I'm gonna build prisons in Reedy Creek and tank Disney revenue". i.e. spend more taxpayer $$$ for his own ego.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I'm getting inundated with "we never back down" ads from DeSantis. If you have all the power of executive and never back down, what does that make you? I get being uncompromising on "justice" I suppose but never backing down on everything suggests you believe you are infallible on everything. They are happily bragging being the most dangerous of zealots. We talk about what's worse, Trump or DeSantis? I think DeSantis, being able to take advantage of the damage done by Trump's unprecedented precedents as President actually could make DeSantis worse. Looking at the wars he's waging and winning while making Abbott and Paxton look like reasonable jurists by comparison. He is becoming a news sink competitive with DElonaldTruMuskump lately and none of it is good. He's actually in the news more than Trump, second only Musk (who the news can't go 6 hours without another examination of Tweets, statements, followings, Tesla, Twitter, legal, etc... even while ignoring his odious positions taken several times a day)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump and DeSantis are both driven by juvenile spite. However, at least Trump is greedy enough to realize you don’t f with your cash cows over ego. That doesn’t make Trump the better person. It just makes him a little less dangerous than DeSantis. Much in the same way a regular grenade is a little less dangerous than a shrapnel grenade.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Trump picks nothing over ego. I think you have that one part wrong.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 am Trump picks nothing over ego. I think you have that one part wrong.
His wallet (or to be more precise, the thickness of it) will always be number one to Trump.

It's money -> ego -> bright colors in the Trump world.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:59 am
Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 am Trump picks nothing over ego. I think you have that one part wrong.
His wallet (or to be more precise, the thickness of it) will always be number one to Trump.

It's money -> ego -> bright colors in the Trump world.
I'm with Unagi on this one. I suspect Trump would be much wealthier if he prioritized money over ego.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter