All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by Smoove_B »

This PR piece tells a very different story, for whatever it's worth.

I don't know anything about UFL, but I'm just going to go with the assumption that anything DeSantis has a hand in is tainted.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it works for Tommy Tuberville,...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:00 pm anything DeSantis has a hand in is taint...
Say What?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:55 pm This here appears to be a weird grift/politicization move. DeSantis has like a good authoritarian begun infiltrating politicos into multiple institutions, including Florida's state colleges and universities. This apparently may have influenced a staffing decision. U of Florida has been searching for a new President over the last year. The process has been relatively secretive - the better to grift it out! -- but strangely this process popped out one name. Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse. His experience administering a university?
“five years as the president of Midland University“

Also, Gov. F. Leghorn tried that here at UofSC a few years ago. It blew up spectacularly ending in the Guvnah’s buddy having to resign.

“That means USC violated state open records laws requiring public notice of meetings ahead of time, another sign of problems for a board scrutinized after the presidential search that ended with Caslen’s controversial hiring.

The board did not pick any of the four presidential finalists at first, but McMaster lobbied trustees to hire Caslen and a new vote was taken. Caslen won the job with an 11-8 vote after a contentious board meeting as protesters chanted outside.

The governor’s involvement caught the attention of USC’s accreditors who investigated the political meddling but did not sanction the school. The board was asked to makeover its rules to avoid potential conflicts and operate more professionally.“
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:01 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:55 pm This here appears to be a weird grift/politicization move. DeSantis has like a good authoritarian begun infiltrating politicos into multiple institutions, including Florida's state colleges and universities. This apparently may have influenced a staffing decision. U of Florida has been searching for a new President over the last year. The process has been relatively secretive - the better to grift it out! -- but strangely this process popped out one name. Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse. His experience administering a university?
“five years as the president of Midland University“
Yeah I stand corrected - the story I read elsewhere definitely didn't talk about that. :)

Even then it is after a little research looking like a pretty big jump. Midland is a relatively modest 1600 students vs 52000.
Also, Gov. F. Leghorn tried that here at UofSC a few years ago. It blew up spectacularly ending in the Guvnah’s buddy having to resign.

“That means USC violated state open records laws requiring public notice of meetings ahead of time, another sign of problems for a board scrutinized after the presidential search that ended with Caslen’s controversial hiring.

The board did not pick any of the four presidential finalists at first, but McMaster lobbied trustees to hire Caslen and a new vote was taken. Caslen won the job with an 11-8 vote after a contentious board meeting as protesters chanted outside.

The governor’s involvement caught the attention of USC’s accreditors who investigated the political meddling but did not sanction the school. The board was asked to makeover its rules to avoid potential conflicts and operate more professionally.“
My previous employer did it too. That institution is small (notice I think that was relatively small and it had 5000 students!) and no one really took notice. It was a politico from one of the NJ patronage mills. It also did not go well.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

The Grey Lady does a focus group on DeSantis.
What is it about Gov. Ron DeSantis that captivates Florida conservatives but also draws a measure of respect from some people there who vote Democratic? To be sure, plenty of Democrats can’t stand Mr. DeSantis, who is up for re-election next month and is widely seen as a top-tier Republican presidential candidate in 2024. But no one denies that Mr. DeSantis has put his imprint on Florida — on its schools, its economic and health policies, its culture and way of life — and that some people are moving there because of the atmosphere he has created.

When asked what they’d tell friends in other states about why Mr. DeSantis might have a shot at the presidency (even if they didn’t support him), many of the participants emphasized his ability to stay relevant and drive national conversations and debates — for example, through flying migrants from Texas to Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts — and the skills and confidence needed to have that impact. Several also gave him big points for his handling of Hurricane Ian this fall. One participant who voted for President Biden but likes Mr. DeSantis said, “I felt that the Democrats had their chance. They had full control, and they just weren’t cohesive enough. And they were just too weak, even though they had all the power to pass what they wanted to pass. So I’m moving towards the Republican side. I don’t like Trump. I’m not a fan of Trump. But I would like to see a fresh face that I feel would be effective and younger in office, and that would be DeSantis.
I guess it's nice to be reminded every now and then just how little understanding some Americans have about how their government actually works. :?
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

yeah, that's kinda infuriating. But - I honestly think that "One participant who voted for President Biden but likes Mr. DeSantis said" guy is a total liar.

Moving toward the Republican side, because the Democrats couldn't pass what they wanted... They were just too weak... What a load of crap.

"I used to be against Rape, until I realized the victims were weak and couldn't fight back. I'm moving toward 'The Rapist' side, because they seem to actually get what they are after."

-yeah sure, dude.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is pure deathwatch material. These panels are still being organized by Frank 'Lie of the Year 2010' Luntz who is a working GOP strategist. Is he truly assembling groups of representational people? I don't know but I have no reason to think this is credibly representative. It blows my mind that this is what the NY Times is pushing out. It might as well be the very serious equivalent of the cheap late night 'man on the street' interview format where they heavily edit it down to all the best clown comments.
This discussion was moderated by a focus group veteran, Frank Luntz, and the New York Times deputy Opinion editor, Patrick Healy. Mr. Luntz has done similar work over the years for Republican candidates and partisan groups. He chose the participants. (Times Opinion paid him for the work.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you haven't watched the debate highlights from yesterday, Crist mopped up the floor with DeSantis, but the exchange over whether or not DeSantis would serve a full term if re-elected as governor was amazing. I don't even know how to describe the look on Desantis' face, but it's worth the view:
Crist, a former congressman and one-term governor, accused DeSantis, a rising Republican star considered a likely 2024 presidential contender, of being too distracted by his national political ambitions to lead properly. DeSantis skirted several attempts by Crist to get him to say he'd serve a full second term.

“I know that Charlie is interested in talking about 2024 and Joe Biden, but I just want to make things very, very clear: The only worn-out old donkey I’m looking to put out to pasture is Charlie Crist,” DeSantis said of his 66-year-old opponent.

Later, Crist slapped back, “You won’t even say if you want to be the governor of Florida after this election."
I know that none of it matters because the GOP is a cult now, but there you have it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:12 am This is pure deathwatch material. These panels are still being organized by Frank 'Lie of the Year 2010' Luntz who is a working GOP strategist. Is he truly assembling groups of representational people? I don't know but I have no reason to think this is credibly representative. It blows my mind that this is what the NY Times is pushing out. It might as well be the very serious equivalent of the cheap late night 'man on the street' interview format where they heavily edit it down to all the best clown comments.
This discussion was moderated by a focus group veteran, Frank Luntz, and the New York Times deputy Opinion editor, Patrick Healy. Mr. Luntz has done similar work over the years for Republican candidates and partisan groups. He chose the participants. (Times Opinion paid him for the work.)
I thought Luntz had essentially left the GOP in recent years as an anti-Trump exile. Not that I would necessarily vouch for his work here, but I don't think of him as a "working GOP strategist". Unless I'm misremembering.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:30 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:12 am This is pure deathwatch material. These panels are still being organized by Frank 'Lie of the Year 2010' Luntz who is a working GOP strategist. Is he truly assembling groups of representational people? I don't know but I have no reason to think this is credibly representative. It blows my mind that this is what the NY Times is pushing out. It might as well be the very serious equivalent of the cheap late night 'man on the street' interview format where they heavily edit it down to all the best clown comments.
I thought Luntz had essentially left the GOP in recent years as an anti-Trump exile. Not that I would necessarily vouch for his work here, but I don't think of him as a "working GOP strategist". Unless I'm misremembering.
Sorta. He's certainly not a MAGA election denier (in fact he is outspoken on that issue) but he is also not George Conway. He has made some ambivalent statements about not understanding the modern GOP but he hasn't walked away from the GOP as I remember it. It still begs the question - he is a fairly conservative person known for lying and running GOP focused misinformation campaigns in the past. There was no one else at all available to put together panels for the NY Times?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Every clip I saw of DeSantis in that debate he looked like a whipped schoolboy sulking in the corner. What a fraud.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote:Every clip I saw of DeSantis in that debate he looked like a whipped schoolboy sulking in the corner. What a fraud.
And yet, he’s going to win easily here.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Every clip I saw of DeSantis in that debate he looked like a whipped schoolboy sulking in the corner. What a fraud.
I'm constantly reminded that by definition, Half of all Americans are dumber than the average American.

(Yeah, that's not the entire reason, but it does apply).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

msteelers wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:57 pm
Is that because he's so popular, or because of voter suppression? Honest question. My impression, which might be wrong, is that FL votes just about 50/50 but the red team always wins.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m fairly sure it’s because he’s so popular in Florida. I highly suspect 50/50 isn’t the ratio.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:30 am
msteelers wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:57 pm
Is that because he's so popular, or because of voter suppression? Honest question. My impression, which might be wrong, is that FL votes just about 50/50 but the red team always wins.
From what I can tell, it's because he's actually popular. IMO, the idea that FL is a purple state is a myth. It's getting much more conservative. The top line numbers show that registered Republicans now outnumber registered Democrats statewide. That used to be flipped. Could that be because of voter suppression? Maybe, I guess. But I don't think so.

Even where I live, a supposedly strongly blue county, feels very conservative. Trump/DeSantis flags, F Biden stickers, Blue Lives Matter, and all of that fun crap is everywhere. When you hear people talking out and about, it's always pro-Republican.

And that's with more registered Democrats in my county than Republicans.

We've gotten a huge influx of people to the state recently. Republicans like to say it's people fleeing blue states to come to the "Free State of Florida". And... I think they are actually right. I think a lot of conservatives, who don't care so much about the threats of global warming and hear all about how awesome Florida is end up moving here. I know that as we start to look on getting out of here, all I hear about from other people is, "you have to be careful about all of those taxes you have to pay in other states." As if having a collapsed home insurance market (my home insurance bill is $4,800 this year and will almost certainly go up again next year) and the growing threat of having my town wiped off the map from a storm is worth the trade-off.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Florida: MAGA Mecca
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

msteelers wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:13 am I know that as we start to look on getting out of here, all I hear about from other people is, "you have to be careful about all of those taxes you have to pay in other states." As if having a collapsed home insurance market (my home insurance bill is $4,800 this year and will almost certainly go up again next year) and the growing threat of having my town wiped off the map from a storm is worth the trade-off.
Coming up 75 all the way, taxes is the reason why so many talk about fleeing to Florida, Texas, and Kentucky. Especially retirees who don't want their SS/IRA/Pensions taxed at the state level. They also flee SC, CO, and CA but not for tax reasons AFAIK.

I do have to wonder how things get paid for, except in Kentucky where they have shit public services and their government leech off federal government like parasite.

$4,800 home insurance where replacement value keeps shooting up in a higher risk area doesn't sound crazy to me, depending on the value of your insurance. Of a bigger concern to me would be threats of ending of government subsidy and insurers are increasingly pulling out of Florida or simply cancelling policies.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/home ... ce-crisis/

Florida accounts for only 9% of the country’s home insurance claims but 79% of its home insurance lawsuits, many of them fraudulent.
Only 9%? Less than 7% of populace live in FL.

The security of my home is a bit of what helps keep my sanity.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just don't get the right's rabid and uncategorical hatred of paying taxes.

In a recent lengthy post, Heather Cox Richardson traced it back to the Civil War and Reconstruction, when southern Democrats riled up Whites about the coloreds voting to raise their taxes to buy schools, hospitals, etc. for themselves. It's more complicated and nuanced than that, but that's the gist. Her post was about the origins of voter suppression in the South that lasted for nearly a century until the Civil Rights Act. The fear that Blacks would buy themselves nice things at Whites' expense was the proximate cause of the suppression.

I mean, nobody *likes* paying taxes, but we like the services and infrastructure that taxes buy. Or I do, anyway.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:58 pm I just don't get the right's rabid and uncategorical hatred of paying taxes.

In a recent lengthy post, Heather Cox Richardson traced it back to the Civil War and Reconstruction, when southern Democrats riled up Whites about the coloreds voting to raise their taxes to buy schools, hospitals, etc. for themselves. It's more complicated and nuanced than that, but that's the gist. Her post was about the origins of voter suppression in the South that lasted for nearly a century until the Civil Rights Act. The fear that Blacks would buy themselves nice things at Whites' expense was the proximate cause of the suppression.

I mean, nobody *likes* paying taxes, but we like the services and infrastructure that taxes buy. Or I do, anyway.
I'm honestly super happy to pay my taxes. I think I absolutely get valuable services, such as roads and civic improvements. And the state was there to help when it turned out my son was autistic. But it seems that the right wing's largest defining characteristic is a lack of empathy for anyone not themselves, so the thought that someone poorer might benefit makes them crazy.
Zarathud

All Things DeSantis

Post by Zarathud »

No taxes on pensions in Illinois — and a flat 4.95% income tax rate. Illinois 6.25% sales tax is similar to Florida’s 6% rate. Florida’s property taxes are lower, and there is no estate tax. But Illinois is much less dependent on Federal money paying for its retirement age population.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:58 pm I just don't get the right's rabid and uncategorical hatred of paying taxes.

Well, the right wing economic elite both wants to keep as much of their money as possible and is deeply suspicious, in a Randian way, that the mob will inevitably come for their money either legally or illegally.

And the racial stuff is a part of how the right wing economic elite sells its anti-progressive taxation policies to the masses.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:07 am No taxes on pensions in Illinois — and a flat 4.95% income tax rate. Illinois 6.25% sales tax is similar to Florida’s 6% rate. Florida’s property taxes are lower, and there is no estate tax. But Illinois is much less dependent on Federal money paying for its retirement age population.
Which makes it all the more mind boggling that Rick Scott is after Social Security and Medicare and that he gets votes.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:01 pm
Zarathud wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:07 am No taxes on pensions in Illinois — and a flat 4.95% income tax rate. Illinois 6.25% sales tax is similar to Florida’s 6% rate. Florida’s property taxes are lower, and there is no estate tax. But Illinois is much less dependent on Federal money paying for its retirement age population.
Which makes it all the more mind boggling that Rick Scott is after Social Security and Medicare and that he gets votes.
He's not after MY Social Security and Medicare. His policies will only effect people who should not be on the programs.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Just dropped off my ballot. Go Ron! :dance:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're trying too hard.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, it's not like someone in power would time the ending of the suspension of a gas tax right before the election.
The average price of a gallon of regular unleaded gas Monday stood at $3.29, about a dime cheaper than at the start of October. But the AAA auto club said that likely will change quickly when the state’s 25.3-cent-a-gallon gas tax returns Tuesday, after being suspended in October by lawmakers and Gov. Ron DeSantis.

“So it stands to reason that when the gas tax is reinstated on Tuesday, drivers will see a 25-cent jump at the pump,” the auto club said in a news release.
I'm sure people won't at all blame Biden and the Democrats for that.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

What's wild is DeSantis and the Republicans are already poised to win big here. How much does this stunt actually help? It's just inflicting pain for the sole purpose of shoring up the margins.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:37 pm Just dropped off my ballot. Go Ron! :dance:
Don’t worry, I mailed one in for you too!

Oh…wait…you wanted Ron?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msteelers wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:28 am What's wild is DeSantis and the Republicans are already poised to win big here. How much does this stunt actually help? It's just inflicting pain for the sole purpose of shoring up the margins.
Probably added insurance *plus* DeSantis has a national pulpit (somehow). All he has to do is get on the airwaves and complain that Biden's policies are raising gasoline prices in FL and it'll be broadcast all over America. I've actually had people in my corner of NJ on social media saying we need a governor like DeSantis to get our state "back in order". Insanity.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:50 pm I mean, it's not like someone in power would time the ending of the suspension of a gas tax right before the election.
The average price of a gallon of regular unleaded gas Monday stood at $3.29, about a dime cheaper than at the start of October. But the AAA auto club said that likely will change quickly when the state’s 25.3-cent-a-gallon gas tax returns Tuesday, after being suspended in October by lawmakers and Gov. Ron DeSantis.

“So it stands to reason that when the gas tax is reinstated on Tuesday, drivers will see a 25-cent jump at the pump,” the auto club said in a news release.
I'm sure people won't at all blame Biden and the Democrats for that.
We're still amateurs at shenanigans, but we're learning to take pages out of the democrat playbook. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You legitimately might be the first person I've ever seen trying to seriously claim that the Democrats have and are capable of following a playbook.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Anyone know if they've hired that one guy to walk near ballot boxes 2000 times before election day with a cell phone again? I'm hoping we can get him to 3000 and a sequel film.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is ... something.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wow, I only needed 30 seconds. I'm all for DeSantis now!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Are religious folks okay with people speaking for god?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:29 am Are religious folks okay with people speaking for god?
As if out of the Bible, yet. Doesn't that go against two commandments at once? The respect God ones?
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Aren't people always speaking for god?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:12 am Aren't people always speaking for god?
Do devout Christians allow for "On the eighth day God looked down from paradise and said I need..." referring to a popular politician in all seriousness? Mooby levels of Christianity, isn't it?

Enlarge Image