All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:12 am Aren't people always speaking for god?
Speaking for god is everywhere. Actually quoting god is not done as often.

But I do recall a bunch billboards that went up in Michigan years ago that were all new / fresh / modern quotes from god.

The one I enjoyed the most was :

“I don’t question your existence.”
- God

Lols.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stessier wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:12 am Aren't people always speaking for god?
Like literally putting words in its mouth? I don't know.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:29 am Are religious folks okay with people speaking for god?
The sharp end of charismatic Evangelicalism has in recent decades embraced the notion that God speaks directly to favored religious leaders and, moreover, supplies direct political advice.

For nearly all of Christian history (or at least since the 2nd or 3rd century), this claim to divine knowledge has been off the table. Fringe figures often tried it, but a priest who did so would be treated as a heretic while a nun would be subjected to interrogation as a witch. Even the great political/religious shakeup of the Reformation grounded itself in interpretation of scripture rather than any claim of direct revelation.

We live in weird times.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Was wondering when the hammer would drop:

“Trump Mocks Ron DeSantis During Lie-Filled Pennsylvania Rally“

Calls him ‘Ron DeSanctimonious’ (maybe bc of the recent ad?)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The "ordained by God to be your leader/champion" shit is scary stuff. People have been compelled to fight holy wars for that nonsense.

If the secular god-king and the holy roller god-king duke it out in a costly manner, I'm OK with that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:31 am If the secular god-king and the holy roller god-king duke it out in a costly manner, I'm OK with that.
You read my mind. But: they are both very much ‘MAGA’ ideologically even if the more orange tinted one is the OG, so I don’t think this benefits Democrats much at all.

I don’t think the differences between their ideas speech/behavior is enough to cause a MAGAT to stay home if their preferred douchebag is not the nom.

I mean it’s between ‘we need to bring America back to the 50’s when it was ‘The Best’ vs a mind bending contradiction (scary!) of a frail, feeble old man who is somehow also a laser-eyed Dark lord strongman that runs a global cabal.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The two running against each other could possibly benefit us. They have such an "us vs them" approach that they could end up fracturing the MAGA base, causing some of the loser's base to stay home or cast protest votes.

Having MAGA level lies about the eventual candidate already in place could be helpful, and wouldn't require the left getting their hands dirty.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think "they" will still unite behind whoever comes out on top. The question is would the two do enough damage to each other to get the people living under a rock to get involved. I hope so but I won't put money on it. See one of the few times where I think Bill Mahar nailed it in that other thread, there.

Also, it will be Trump who comes out on top. DeSantis will get in line and wait his turn and won't upset the balance. I can't see it shaking out any other way. Trump is just making sure DeSantis knows his place right now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think that a few months of DeSantis pulling out all the stops to get voters to despise Trump (and vice versa) could very well throw things out of whack for the survivor. And hell, if DeSantis wins, Trump's ego is such that he'll be unlikely to let it go and may keep working against him during the actual election.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Would DeSantis ever agree to a VP position?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:56 am Would DeSantis ever agree to a VP position?
I'm wondering if that isn't his real goal after all. He's only 44, and he would immediately become heir-apparent to the MAGA movement.

Plus he'd have Trump's actuarial numbers on his side.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:56 am Would DeSantis ever agree to a VP position?
He may just hold out for a deal for head of the Secret Police.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:02 pm
I'm wondering if that isn't his real goal after all. He's only 44, and he would immediately become heir-apparent to the MAGA movement.
This makes a lot of sense.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Holman wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:02 pm
This makes a lot of sense.
But for one factor. He's an arrogant, egotistical politician (and actually smart enough not to get sucked into trump's inner circle crime/ fraud ring)..

I doubt he could accept being the "We are blessed to have Trump as our glorious leader. " role, plus the chances Trump will force him to join in Trump's fraud rings, as he tried with Pence.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:36 pm I doubt he could accept being the "We are blessed to have Trump as our glorious leader. " role, plus the chances Trump will force him to join in Trump's fraud rings, as he tried with Pence.
Pence has a conscience, something that doesn't afflict DeSantis.
Holman

Post by Holman »

As it happens, I was also a very popular teacher at a small private high school 20 years ago.

This behavior isn't a "times have changed" thing. It's impossible for me to imagine attending a student drinking party. There's an *absolute* red line being crossed there. I saw faculty fired in the middle of a semester for less.

Also, I had no idea that DeSantis was as short as a high-school girl.
Last edited by Holman on Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't realize he was an actual subject matter expert in grooming. Once again, every accusation...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well didn't expect that but not surprised about the hypocrisy revelations.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I don't think it can be a Trump DeSantis ticket unless one of them changes states. Although, if somehow they decide thats a good idea, I see Trump could easily declare residence somewhere else, thats well inside his trick bag.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Solid red, not purple anymore! :dance: Crist has now lost as a republican, an independent, and a democrat. :lol:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I cannot overstate how problematic this is

DeSantis announces a new anti-CDC: "Our CDC, at this point, anything they put out, you just assume, at this point, that it's not worth the paper it's printed on ... we're creating what we're calling the Public Health Integrity Committee."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It's sad yes, but it's just a furthering of the already epic polarization. Anyone that is HALFWAY paying attention to what's happening around them politically, culturally and civically (?) is going to have to make a choice: Am I going to listen to team red, or team blue?

SHOULD that be involved in facts and science? Of course not, but here we are. Just another sign that you CANNOT be apolitical here anymore. Even if you think you are purple straight down the line, you still have to decide who to trust in this particular case. Throwing up your hands and trusting neither is also a choice of course, with its own consequences.

A line has been drawn (or better, The Line has been darkened and colored red).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trusting neither is an objective to Team Red. It also leads to their success.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:28 pm Trusting neither is an objective to Team Red. It also leads to their success.
touché

Edit: Yeah, that could certainly even be the primary objective.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:25 pm
A line has been drawn
Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:08 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:25 pm
A line has been drawn
Enlarge Image
Yep. Next up: secession!

Florida is looking more and more like MAGA Mecca (and I use MAGA in the broader sense, not some ideology unique to Trump)

Tired of the gubmint telling you what to do? Come to Florida, where YOU can decide to do hard, technical science via feelings, no matter the cost to the greater community. Don't like what teachers are teaching? YOU can make the curriculum, based on your many years of expertise in education planning! Like immigrants? COURSE YOU DON'T! We don't either, so we spend YOUR Florida tax dollars to make sure they don't invade Texas! (we'll explain when you get here, but we promise it makes sense!)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is where Desantis is better/worse than Trump:

He is smarter and more competent.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, more on that grand jury:
The Florida Supreme Court will convene a grand jury at Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis’ request to investigate any wrongdoing with respect to the COVID-19 vaccines, the court announced Thursday.

DeSantis’ request argues that pharmaceutical companies had a financial interest in creating a climate in which people believed that getting a coronavirus vaccine would ensure they couldn’t spread the virus to others.

Statewide grand juries, usually comprised of 18 people, can investigate criminal activity and issue indictments but also examine systemic problems in Florida and make recommendations. Recent panels have tackled immigration issues and school safety.

The grand jury will meet for one year.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That seems like a misstep for him, but I'm sure his worshippers will justify it somehow.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Normal things with a governor investigating a drag show:
Governor Ron DeSantis announced his office will investigate a Christmas drag show accused of being indecent for children.

On Monday, the event was held at Fort Lauderdale’s Broward Center for the Performing Arts, as part of the national tour of “A Drag Queen Christmas.”

There was also a show that was held on Tuesday at the James Knight Center in Miami.

The show has been accused of exposing children to sexually explicit content.

After Monday’s show, state officials released the a statement that reads as follows, “The Department of Business and Professional Regulation is aware of multiple complaints about a sexually explicit performance marketed to children held in Fort Lauderdale on December 26th. Exposing children to sexually explicit activity is a crime in Florida, and such action violates the Department’s licensing standards for operating a business and holding a liquor license.”

And just before Tuesday show, another letter by the state read, “In short, if you allow children to attend the Drag Fans drag show at your facility, you are putting your license in jeopardy.”
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still can’t believe how much danger I was placing my neighbor’s children in by taking them to see Mrs. Doubtfire all those years ago when I was asked to babysit them. :(
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Any drag-adjacent event that's open to children is bending 270 degrees to avoid the appearance of sexualization. They are absolutely aware of the scrutiny they're under.

This is DeSantis using state power to harass and punish gender nonconformity because he knows that it plays well with the base.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I wonder how long folks will continue to swallow the idea that DeSantis is the "serious" non-crazy alternative to Trump.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:28 pm Any drag-adjacent event that's open to children is bending 270 degrees to avoid the appearance of sexualization. They are absolutely aware of the scrutiny they're under.

This is DeSantis using state power to harass and punish gender nonconformity because he knows that it plays well with the base.
Such bullshit. I’d like to know exactly what they feel constitutes “marketing” to children and/or what comprised the “sexually explicit activity.”

Fucking bullies.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Rolling Stone
FLORIDA HAS BLOCKED the College Board from testing a pilot Advanced Placement African American Studies (APAAS) curriculum in the state under Governor Ron DeSantis’ “Stop WOKE” Act. According to a letter obtained by National Review, Florida’s Department of Education’s Office of Articulation said the curriculum “is inexplicably contrary to Florida law and significantly lacks educational value.”

The pilot course, which has been tested at 60 schools across the United States, aims to expand the advanced coursework offered by the College Board into the study of the African diaspora in the U.S. The course has run afoul of DeSantis’ widespread ban on teaching “critical race theory” (CRT) in K-12 classrooms. CRT is an analytical framework that seeks to dissect the manner in which racism has shaped American legal theory and institutions. The concept has been co-opted in recent years by right-wing reactionaries to fearmonger about any and all discussions of race and discrimination.

The “Stop Woke” act, signed into law by DeSantis in 2022, essentially prohibits instruction on race relations or diversity that imply a person’s “status as either privileged or oppressed is necessarily determined by his or her race, color, national origin, or sex.” The bill also bans both schools and workplaces from “subjecting any student or employee to training or instruction that espouses, promotes, advances, inculcates, or compels such individuals to believe specified concepts constitutes discrimination based on race, color, sex, or national origin.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DeSantis sure is making the news:
Teachers in Manatee County, Florida, are being told to make their classroom libraries — and any other "unvetted" book — inaccessible to students, or risk felony prosecution. The new policy is part of an effort to comply with new laws and regulations championed by Governor Ron DeSantis (R). It is based on the premise, promoted by right-wing advocacy groups, that teachers and librarians are using books to "groom" students or indoctrinate them with leftist ideologies.

Kevin Chapman, the Chief of Staff for the Manatee County School District, told Popular Information that the policy was communicated to principals in a meeting last Wednesday. Individual schools are now in the process of informing teachers and other staff.

Chapman says that school principals in Manatee County were told Wednesday that any staff member violating these rules by providing materials "harmful to minors" could be prosecuted for "a felony of the third degree." Therefore, teachers must make their classroom libraries inaccessible to students until they can establish that each book has been approved by a librarian.

In response to the policy, some teachers packed up their classroom libraries. Others covered up the books students are no longer allowed to read with construction paper.

Restoring student access to classroom libraries is a complex process. First, someone must cross-check each book in their classroom library with the district library catalog. If the book is available in the district libraries, that means it was approved by a media specialist and can be made available to students again. But any book not currently held in the district libraries must be individually evaluated and approved by a librarian.

And that's just the beginning. Materials prepared for an upcoming Manatee County School Board meeting include a 21-point list of procedures to ensure that classroom libraries comply with the new rules.
Totally normal.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:02 am DeSantis sure is making the news:
Teachers in Manatee County, Florida, are being told to make their classroom libraries — and any other "unvetted" book — inaccessible to students, or risk felony prosecution. The new policy is part of an effort to comply with new laws and regulations championed by Governor Ron DeSantis (R). It is based on the premise, promoted by right-wing advocacy groups, that teachers and librarians are using books to "groom" students or indoctrinate them with leftist ideologies.

Kevin Chapman, the Chief of Staff for the Manatee County School District, told Popular Information that the policy was communicated to principals in a meeting last Wednesday. Individual schools are now in the process of informing teachers and other staff.

Chapman says that school principals in Manatee County were told Wednesday that any staff member violating these rules by providing materials "harmful to minors" could be prosecuted for "a felony of the third degree." Therefore, teachers must make their classroom libraries inaccessible to students until they can establish that each book has been approved by a librarian.

In response to the policy, some teachers packed up their classroom libraries. Others covered up the books students are no longer allowed to read with construction paper.

Restoring student access to classroom libraries is a complex process. First, someone must cross-check each book in their classroom library with the district library catalog. If the book is available in the district libraries, that means it was approved by a media specialist and can be made available to students again. But any book not currently held in the district libraries must be individually evaluated and approved by a librarian.

And that's just the beginning. Materials prepared for an upcoming Manatee County School Board meeting include a 21-point list of procedures to ensure that classroom libraries comply with the new rules.
Totally normal.
Saw that this morning and figured it was just some sort of partisan overexaggeration from Judd Legum who runs that "Popular Info" site (as he tends to do).

Nope, looks like it's quite legit.
Per the new statutory changes to House Bill 1467 - Section 1006.40 (3) (d), F.S. All material in school and classroom libraries or included on a reading list must be:

1. Free of Pornography and material prohibited under S. 847.012, F.S.

2. Suited to student needs and their ability to comprehend the material presented.

3. Appropriate for the grade level and age group for which the materials are used and made available.

Each elementary school must publish on its website, in a searchable format prescribed by the department, a list of all materials maintained in the school library media center or required as part of a school or grade-level reading list.

Penalty for Violating Section 847.012, F.S. Any person violating any provision of this section commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in S. 775.082, S. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

To protect librarians and media specialist, it must be clear that a book depicting nudity, sexual conduct, or sexual excitement does not meet the tenets of “Harmful to minors” (s.847.001, F.S.).

Therefore, each district in the State of Florida must comply with these new statutory requirements. We are seeking volunteers to assist with vetting and compiling website list so all classroom books can be used by students.
A felony for not sufficiently complying with DeSantis' edict that kids shall not see anything he personally finds objectionable (so...anything that's not 100% white, hetero, and Christian). That's insane.

RIP, Florida education.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I zipped through all the links in the story just to see if it was hyperbole, but nope - pants on head crazy.

You get what you vote for, I suppose.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is totally normal:
After heavy criticism from Gov. Ron DeSantis, the College Board released on Wednesday an official curriculum for its new Advanced Placement course in African American Studies — stripped of much of the subject matter that had angered the governor and other conservatives.

The College Board purged the names of many Black writers and scholars associated with critical race theory, the queer experience and Black feminism. It ushered out some politically fraught topics, like Black Lives Matter, from the formal curriculum.

And it added something new: “Black conservatism” is now offered as an idea for a research project.

When it announced the A.P. course in August, the College Board clearly believed it was providing a class whose time had come, and it was celebrated by eminent scholars like Henry Louis Gates Jr. of Harvard as an affirmation of the importance of African American studies. But the course, which is meant to be for all students of diverse backgrounds, quickly ran into a political buzz saw after an early draft leaked to conservative publications like The Florida Standard and National Review.
Up next:
The attack on the A.P. course turned out to be the prelude to a much larger agenda. On Tuesday, Governor DeSantis unveiled a proposal to overhaul higher education that would eliminate what he called “ideological conformity” by among other things, mandating courses in Western civilization.
What does the College Board say:
David Coleman, the head of the College Board, said in an interview that the changes were all made for pedagogical reasons, not to bow to political pressure. “At the College Board, we can’t look to statements of political leaders,” he said. The changes, he said, came from “the input of professors” and “longstanding A.P. principles.”
I'm guessing that even if there's zero connection DeSantis (and his disciples) are going to campaign on how they forced this to happen.