All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by Blackhawk »

I just love how Florida and Texas seem to think that they can determine US international policy now. We really should just eject them before they start a war with Mexico.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:44 pm He’s such a coward:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/republica ... n-mitchell
That story is hilarious and chilling. Hopefully this guy never gets any closer to actual power.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:09 pm
Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:44 pm He’s such a coward:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/republica ... n-mitchell
That story is hilarious and chilling. Hopefully this guy never gets any closer to actual power.
you saw his demeanor with the high schoolers and his over the top rawr-rawr 'take those masks off!'? DeathSentence positively emanates fragile male ego and as a result, bullying mindset. kind of a trend among the tin-pot Republidespots.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The DeSantis and NY Times clown level is off-the-charts right now. DeSantis is a wimp. We know this but the NY Times headlining this way? I don't get what the heck is going on there. Later the NY Times offered up a new story that made it clearer that DeSantis was the snubbing party but good lord. They've lost the plot.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:30 pm The DeSantis and NY Times clown level is off-the-charts right now. DeSantis is a wimp. We know this but the NY Times headlining this way? I don't get what the heck is going on there. Later the NY Times offered up a new story that made it clearer that DeSantis was the snubbing party but good lord. They've lost the plot.
I sense your anger at the NYT, and I get it, but it's time to let go man, they're gone. I know that pisses you off mightily, but you have provided numerous examples of the lack of their previous sense of journalistic integrity. Could very well be a CNN-like situation where you have someone very high up (new CEO in their case, recently fired) calling the shots that has a specific agenda and/or doesn't align with the company's previous MO.

Time to just say some words over their virtual mound and try to find a new NYT (The Atlantic is pretty damn good IMO). Let go, brother, just let them go. :D
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, Ron's super pac (Never Back Down) has backed down.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I hope the media keeps on top of the suit against Disney that backfired. I am no fan of corporate Disney, but would absolutely love watching him get roasted by his stupidity, and I hope they don't just give up, glad to move past it, unlike Dominion.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:24 pm I sense your anger at the NYT, and I get it, but it's time to let go man, they're gone.
I've been much happier since I removed them from my news rotation. It took me a long time to make that call, but I don't regret it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:24 pm
malchior wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:30 pm The DeSantis and NY Times clown level is off-the-charts right now. DeSantis is a wimp. We know this but the NY Times headlining this way? I don't get what the heck is going on there. Later the NY Times offered up a new story that made it clearer that DeSantis was the snubbing party but good lord. They've lost the plot.
I sense your anger at the NYT, and I get it, but it's time to let go man, they're gone. I know that pisses you off mightily, but you have provided numerous examples of the lack of their previous sense of journalistic integrity. Could very well be a CNN-like situation where you have someone very high up (new CEO in their case, recently fired) calling the shots that has a specific agenda and/or doesn't align with the company's previous MO.

Time to just say some words over their virtual mound and try to find a new NYT (The Atlantic is pretty damn good IMO). Let go, brother, just let them go. :D
FWIW the NY Times still has some great journalism. It's the top of the pile still. What's notable to me is this felt like a step forward for them towards actively pushing disinformation. There is simply no reason for that headline. It's both technically correct but also deeply misinforming at the same time. Worse the "updated" story pushes a horse race narrative. It's is another step towards dystopia IMO. We're seeing disinformation normalized at the highest levels of the trade. That should be scaring us.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:04 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:24 pm

FWIW the NY Times still has some great journalism. It's the top of the pile still. What's notable to me is this felt like a step forward for them towards actively pushing disinformation. There is simply no reason for that headline. It's both technically correct but also deeply misinforming at the same time. Worse the "updated" story pushes a horse race narrative. It's is another step towards dystopia IMO. We're seeing disinformation normalized at the highest levels of the trade. That should be scaring us.
I'm suggesting that NYT may no longer be the "highest level of the trade" that it once was.

"There are other worlds than these..."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Right. Whether it is or not - it is still regarded as the paper of record. It is highly influential. That it is moving in this direction is another cause of concern. That's all I've been getting at. It's not whether *I'm* upset. I'm commenting on the decline in general.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ok, so Florida is now supporting foreign wars?
lorida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday he’s arranged to send drones, weapons, and ammunition to Israel as it prepares for an incursion of Gaza in response to Hamas’ attack. It’s the latest official response DeSantis has taken to back Israel as he competes in the 2024 Republican primary...

...DeSantis’ announcement led to confusion between the governor’s office and an Israeli diplomat in Florida. The governor’s office said it acted at the request of Israel’s consul general in Miami. But Maor Elbaz-Starinsky, the consul general, said he did not request drones, body armor, or helmets, nor had he talked to the governor about help getting weapons or ammunition through private parties.

“Nothing went through me,” Elbaz-Starinsky said. “We were never in communication on any shipments of arms or ammunition. The only thing that I have dealt with sending is medical supplies.”
Seems very odd and somewhat worrisome...
It’s unclear whether DeSantis coordinated shipments of any weapons with the Biden administration. The Commerce Department regulates the shipment abroad of many types of U.S. weapons and technology.

“It is not illegal for the governor of a state to offer a measure of foreign assistance to another country,” said John Kirby, a spokesperson for the White House’s National Security Council. “There are laws and regulations which govern how the export process is handled and that’s all done through Commerce. I couldn’t speak with authority today about whether the governor has checked all those boxes or not.”

The Commerce Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
You want medical supplies - here are some guns!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just a stunt. Now DeSantis can claim at the next primary debate that he is the only candidate who has sent military aid to Israel, which is a totally normal and reasonable thing for a primary candidate to do.

Nikki Haley will probably FedEx a couple of AR-15s to Bibi tomorrow.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Didn't he just threaten to launch drone strikes into Mexico?

Florida wants to be their own country, with their own military and their own international relations. I'd be in favor of letting them do just that - although with Cuba a good stone-skip away from them, I can't see it being a good strategic decision.