All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by GreenGoo »

Money is certainly the source of his ego, and what he can make people do because of that money.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He has his own calculus. He see his brand as the source of his success so his ego is what makes him money. They're one in the same. When his ego costs him money, it's just a miscalculation. He's not consciously puting one before the other.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I disagree. He would absolutely lose money if it made him look good/saved face.

His ego is the bigger entity here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:52 am
hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:59 am
Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 am Trump picks nothing over ego. I think you have that one part wrong.
His wallet (or to be more precise, the thickness of it) will always be number one to Trump.

It's money -> ego -> bright colors in the Trump world.
I'm with Unagi on this one. I suspect Trump would be much wealthier if he prioritized money over ego.
But we can all agree bright colors is third, right?
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If Ivanka is wearing them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ooooooh....you NASTY. :P
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:53 pm I disagree. He would absolutely lose money if it made him look good/saved face.

His ego is the bigger entity here.
To him that's not losing money. It's strengthening the brand. It's a good investment by his reckoning.

And so far he's mostly been right. Despite "losing" a shitload of money, he's been fucking president of the US and his brand is stronger than ever.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

DeSantis = the rabbi on Seinfeld? The comparison is uncanny.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

I find it fascinating that young Floridians (under 40s) voted overwhelmingly Democrat while older Floridians voted for DeSantis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Flor ... mographics

If you look at major issues, gun control and abortion, these are vote losers and what turned people off DeSantis - but he is much better with independents and Hispanics than Trump. Its hard to see if DeSantis could pull off a presidential run nationally. Over 75% of Florida voters is over the age of 40.

Nationwide however Trump is very much the white person's president. If only whites could vote he'd be more popular than Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Unit ... mographics

Unlike DeSantis Trump carried EVERY age group for white voters. And if you look at who the far right now demonises, it's people who aren't voting for Trump or DeSantis. Indeed 45% of the voters in the last general election were white people over the age of 45. This is precisely the Fox News audience.

Anyhow winning is so last century when you can happily manage your way to victory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempts_ ... l_election
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

TFG and DeSantis are bandit outlaws squabbling about who would be king, but the true power in the land was the Great Dragon Disney, who had lived for centuries before these upstarts, and would unoubtedly continue to fatten itself on the bones of their ancestors.
The question of kingship might not be answered by which of the candidates was stronger, but rather, by which of the candidates was foolish enough to throw himself into the dragons fire.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I hope Disney trounces DeSantis.

At the same time, if by mistake or packed court Disney should lose... Ick.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This is a political witch hunt. Everyone knows you can't go after a presidential candidate. (That is cynicism in case that isn't clear)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think DeSantis is about to see what it's like to be the bully whose victim finally turns around and punches him in the face.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

At some point, this is going to have a measurable and quantifiable impact on the state, right?
The New College of Florida trustees now dominated by conservatives appointed by Gov. Ron DeSantis voted Wednesday to deny tenure to five professors, overriding concerns by faculty and students that the decision poses a threat to academic freedom.

The traditionally progressive public college in Sarasota, Florida, currently has only 659 students enrolled this year but has become the focal point of a campaign by DeSantis to rid higher education in the state of what the Republican governor calls left-leaning “woke” indoctrination on campuses.

The school’s interim president, DeSantis ally and former state House Speaker Richard Corcoran, said in a memo to the trustees that he wanted the professors’ tenure denied or delayed in part because of the administrative changes and because of “a renewed focus on ensuring the college is moving towards a more traditional liberal arts institution.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isn't it funny how he keeps raising alarms about a political group using schools to indoctrinate kids to a viewpoint, then keeps solving the imaginary problem by sending in a political group to use the schools to indoctrinate kids to a viewpoint?
stessier

Post by stessier »

My brother is a PHD biochemist and there is an opening at University of Florida that he'd be a great fit for - he won't even consider it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dwayne Wade votes with his feet:
Former Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade moved his family out of Florida because of the state’s increasing hostility to LGBTQ people — including Wade’s daughter, Zaya.

That revelation emerged in an interview Wade gave reporter Rachel Nichols for her Showtime program Headliners.

“I have to make decisions for my family, not just personal, individual decisions,” Wade told Nichols. He praised Florida’s low tax rate and made a nod to how he was embraced by residents when he played in the NBA. “But my family would not be accepted or feel comfortable there. And so that’s one of the reasons why I don’t live there.”

In 2020, Wade and his family revealed that Zaya was transgender. In the years since, he’s been a forceful defender of his daughter and her transition. Now we learn that this includes a willingness to uproot his household and move to a state that he didn’t see as so overtly hostile to LGBTQ people.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:27 am Isn't it funny how he keeps raising alarms about a political group using schools to indoctrinate kids to a viewpoint, then keeps solving the imaginary problem by sending in a political group to use the schools to indoctrinate kids to a viewpoint?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:35 pm Dwayne Wade votes with his feet:
Former Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade moved his family out of Florida because of the state’s increasing hostility to LGBTQ people — including Wade’s daughter, Zaya.

That revelation emerged in an interview Wade gave reporter Rachel Nichols for her Showtime program Headliners.

“I have to make decisions for my family, not just personal, individual decisions,” Wade told Nichols. He praised Florida’s low tax rate and made a nod to how he was embraced by residents when he played in the NBA. “But my family would not be accepted or feel comfortable there. And so that’s one of the reasons why I don’t live there.”

In 2020, Wade and his family revealed that Zaya was transgender. In the years since, he’s been a forceful defender of his daughter and her transition. Now we learn that this includes a willingness to uproot his household and move to a state that he didn’t see as so overtly hostile to LGBTQ people.
On the one hand, bravo to him for taking a stand.

On the other hand, DeSantis and his supporters are cheering. They want the Other to go away.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Speaking of going away, can someone set up a GoFundMe to raise a few hundred billion to move Disney somewhere?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:12 pm Speaking of going away, can someone set up a GoFundMe to raise a few hundred billion to move Disney somewhere?
I was thinking this morning how weird this is for DeSantis. He's benefiting from the circus of appearing to push Disney away, but if he actually succeeded in pushing Disney out of Florida, it'd be career suicide for him (at least within the state of Florida).

I know it's practically unfathomable that Disney would actually leave. But if they did, that'd be a massive disaster for Florida.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's another one for DeSantis:
Republicans in the Florida House passed a bill Wednesday aimed at reducing membership in public-sector unions and weakening organized labor’s political clout, delivering the controversial legislation to Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) for his signature.

Progressive lawmakers and labor groups have blasted the legislation as a political power grab meant to kneecap teachers unions and other labor groups that tend to support the Democratic Party. The bill would make it harder for unions representing government employees to collect dues and make it easier for the state to “decertify” them and nullify their contracts.
However:
In a clear indicator of the bill’s political intentions, Republicans added a carveout so that the anti-labor measures would not apply to unions representing cops, firefighters or corrections officers — unions that are more likely to support GOP candidates and policies.
Details:
The legislation, known as S.B. 256, forbids public-sector unions from deducting dues directly from workers’ paychecks, which is how most unions receive their funding. The ban would force them to set up new dues-payment mechanisms, like ACH transfers from workers’ bank accounts, adding a new administrative hurdle.

Another provision would require that at least 60% of a bargaining unit be dues-paying members, or else the union would have to reapply for certification with the state. That way, if the union lost members due to the paycheck measure, it could possibly nullify the union’s collective bargaining agreement with the employer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In the words of a great philosopher, "you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run". Ronnie hasn't learned that yet.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:12 pm Speaking of going away, can someone set up a GoFundMe to raise a few hundred billion to move Disney somewhere?
I'm sure Disney is already considering the fact that Florida will be significantly less inhabitable by the time today's kids are grandparents.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:03 pm My brother is a PHD biochemist and there is an opening at University of Florida that he'd be a great fit for - he won't even consider it.
My BIL and his wife moved to FL several years ago to care for a parent. He complains about DeSantis and MAGAts and FL politics constantly, but all he does is complain. She's not political and pays it no heed.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:03 pm My brother is a PHD biochemist and there is an opening at University of Florida that he'd be a great fit for - he won't even consider it.
It's exactly the sort of brain drain they want. And if it hurts their revenue, they'll just pull federal money like all the other zombie red states.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state ... d-by-state

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:
I'm sure Disney is already considering the fact that Florida will be significantly less inhabitable by the time today's kids are grandparents.
Disney World is so far inland that it won't be as bad as it is for most of Florida.

Plus, they could probably afford to just build domes! A Disney World Habitat!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:10 pm
Holman wrote:
Disney World is so far inland that it won't be as bad as it is for most of Florida.

Disney already has a huge underground structure in the middle of a swamp, so I agree in that Disney will be fine where it is longer than much of Florida... but the state will still probably start to be less attractive a place to host their kingdom before that, even if they are technically high-and-dry themselves.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:19 pm
Holman wrote:

Disney already has a huge underground structure in the middle of a swamp, so I agree in that Disney will be fine where it is longer than much of Florida... but the state has definitely started to be less attractive a place to host their kingdom before now, even if they are technically high-and-dry themselves.
FTFY.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have you seen this buffoon talk? He is the least charismatic speaker I have ever seen. If Florida Man were to keel over tomorrow I don't think he would have a chance.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote:

Disney already has a huge underground structure in the middle of a swamp, so I agree in that Disney will be fine where it is longer than much of Florida... but the state will still probably start to be less attractive a place to host their kingdom before that, even if they are technically high-and-dry themselves.
Yeah. And you'll have to pay through the nose for Disney tickets during the three-month non-hurricane season.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:54 pm
Holman wrote:

Yeah. And you'll have to pay through the nose for Disney tickets during the three-month non-hurricane season.
So, the prices will be the same? :D

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Disney may decide that it would be cheaper to just get involved in Florida politics. Their money, plus advertising and and PR people could run one hell of a campaign for a few people, and the causes opposed to the status quo could see some big donations.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote:Disney may decide that it would be cheaper to just get involved in Florida politics. Their money, plus advertising and and PR people could run one hell of a campaign for a few people, and the causes opposed to the status quo could see some big donations.
Disney historically has donated millions of dollars to Florida politicians, mainly republicans. They pledged to cut off donations during the Don’t Say Gay bill debate and fallout. I’m assuming they will start donating again if they haven’t already, but a quick Google search didn’t show anything since they said they would stop donations.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

msteelers wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:41 am
Blackhawk wrote:Disney may decide that it would be cheaper to just get involved in Florida politics. Their money, plus advertising and and PR people could run one hell of a campaign for a few people, and the causes opposed to the status quo could see some big donations.
Disney historically has donated millions of dollars to Florida politicians, mainly republicans. They pledged to cut off donations during the Don’t Say Gay bill debate and fallout. I’m assuming they will start donating again if they haven’t already, but a quick Google search didn’t show anything since they said they would stop donations.
A couple of days ago, MSNBC had a good reveal of some data on this in this segment: (although it does NOT have any info past Don't Say Gay)

The whole segment is worth listening to, but the conversation on political donations starts at 4:25...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If Iger ran as republican, would he be supported?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll take "Stories I never thought I'd read" for $500, please:
Roads in Florida could soon include phosphogypsum — a radioactive waste material from the fertilizer industry — under a bill lawmakers have sent to Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Conservation groups are urging DeSantis to veto the bill, saying phosphogypsum would hurt water quality and put road construction crews at a higher risk of cancer.

HB 1191 would compel the Florida Transportation Department to study using phosphogypsum in paving projects, calling for "demonstration projects using phosphogypsum in road construction aggregate material to determine its feasibility as a paving material."

If it's approved, phosphogypsum would join pavement aggregates such as crushed stone, gravel and sand. In recent years, the Federal Highway Administration says, industrial byproducts and reclaimed materials have also been used as aggregates.

The bill sets a deadline of April 1, 2024, giving the transportation agency less than a year to complete its work and make a recommendation. The Republican-dominated Florida Legislature approved the measure by a wide margin.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Last edited by hepcat on Tue May 09, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Villain: "How can I get radioactive waste spread everywhere?"
Minion: "We could get them to spread it everywhere for us!"
Villain: "And how would we do that?"
Minion: "Simple, we get them to pass legislation that adds it to the materials used in making their roads!"
Villain smacks minion: "Don't be a goddamn idiot!"