All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

waitingtoconnect

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:10 pm
malchior wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:35 pm I'm still shocked there is a campaign coming. DeSantis is full on delusional. His schtick doesn't play with Republicans anymore much less Americans. He's a sad man who doesn't realize how unlikeable and silly he is.
Who starts their national Presidential Campaign (presumably) with the premise of "I destroyed Disney" ?

It's absurd.

I'm also shocked that there is a campaign coming.
One can only assume he's going to try to staple himself onto Trump as his VP.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:21 am Looking forward to how DeSantis will now push to have laws passed like TX where they limit the governing powers of big cities.
I fucking loathe living in Texas. But at least I don't live in Florida.
waitingtoconnect

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:21 am Looking forward to how DeSantis will now push to have laws passed like TX where they limit the governing powers of big cities.
Simply rearrange the counties to break Jacksonville in half so that you have two Republican mayors. Winning!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently there's a strike in Florida where undocumented workers are just not turning up in their usual spots due to Ronnie's anti-undocumented worker policy just signed, and Latino truckers are refusing to go into Florida, bring constructions to a halt and supermarket shelves bare.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:16 pm supermarket shelves bare.
Not yet.
CLAIM: Videos show empty grocery store shelves in Florida because truckers are boycotting the state over a new immigration law.

THE FACTS: While both clips show Florida stores, neither has anything to do with the new law or a boycott. One is from October and shows shortages during Hurricane Ian, while another shows a recent refrigeration issue at a single Walmart Supercenter.

The first video shows a shopper panning their camera around the refrigerators and freezers at a Winn-Dixie, while saying “Supermarkets are empty in Florida. There’s nothing, nothing, look.”

“Undocumented workers are leaving Florida in droves. It’s affecting farmers, hotels, restaurants, construction, lawn companies, & especially grocery stores w perishables,” reads one Twitter post of the footage, which had received more than 6,000 likes as of Wednesday. “Understandably many Hispanic truck drivers are refusing to enter the state. Nicely done DeSantis!”

However, the video was originally posted on TikTok in Oct. 2, 2022, after Hurricane Ian made landfall. The caption on the original post includes the hashtag “hurricaneian” and says, “no food in the Winn-Dixie in Florida on 17 and 92,” referring to a store in Fern Park, a suburb of Orlando.

The second video shared on social media platforms shows a large sign that reads “Packaged Deli” and above a partially empty refrigerated aisle. “No groceries smh sad these truckers weren’t playing when they said they were not delivering anything to Florida !!!” reads the caption on a TikTok post tagging the location as Palmetto, Florida, with more than 800,000 likes.

The signage in the video matches a Walmart store in Palmetto, but the grocery chain said the lack of groceries in the clip was unrelated to any supply issues.

Charles Crowson, a spokesperson for Walmart, said in an email that it was a result of a refrigerator malfunction and should be repaired within the next few days.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I haven’t noticed any shortages at the grocery store or anywhere else, personally.

Also, Disney scrapped a $900 million corporate campus in FL and plans to bring 2,000 workers to the state.

https://on.mktw.net/43c4rfh
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Now we'll see how much he enjoys taunting Disney. Today they nuked a $1B+ project that would have moved 2k jobs to FL at an average $120k salary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/busi ... orida.html
waitingtoconnect

“Such deplorable partisanship from Disney!” Is what they will say… they can’t see they’ve created an unsafe investing environment.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:29 pm Now we'll see how much he enjoys taunting Disney. Today they nuked a $1B+ project that would have moved 2k jobs to FL at an average $120k salary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/busi ... orida.html
I don't have nytimes viability but CNBC also said that Disney has $17 billion in additional spend planned for FL in the next ten years and hope that those plans don't change. So there is also a threat in addition to initial knife. DeSantis isn't done but that's pain. DeSantis team has also reportedly responded along the lines of: This is understandable given the companies failing state for investors, media, etc...
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

This isn’t exactly the right thread for this, but I just got word tonight that our homeowners insurance is going up another 30%.

At least Desantis is really sticking it to Disney, plus the LGBTQ+ and immigrant communities. His priorities are in the right place.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Why is your insurance going up so much?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Increased catastrophic weather events + issues with managing insurance providers.

Read more here.

And yes, it belongs in this thread:
At the tail end of 2022, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a property insurance overhaul bill that would likely raise premium costs for many Florida residents while offering tax rebates for those hit by recent hurricanes.

According to the Tallahassee Democrat, the legislation did nothing to address rising costs. Instead, the bill required state-backed Citizens Property Insurance Corporation policyholders to switch to private insurance companies if their renewal offer was less than 20% higher.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
msteelers

All Things DeSantis

Post by msteelers »

Smoove’s links are good summaries, with fraud being a big part of it.

My insurance is jumping up to $6,400. I got a quote from USAA last night that was almost half that, so I’m checking with an insurance buddy of mine to see if that’s a decent policy or not.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Disney Scraps Plan for $900 Million Florida Campus, Closes ‘Star Wars’ Adventure Hotel

DeSantis is killing his own state and citizens. Just imagine what he would do as President.
Walt Disney Co. has canceled two major investments in Florida, including reversing course on a potential $900 million office park, amid a high-profile dispute with state lawmakers and Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The company is halting plans for a new corporate campus in Florida that would have relocated more than 2,000 employees, mostly from its theme parks division, to the community of Lake Nona in Orlando.

Separately, Disney is also closing its Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser experience at Walt Disney World by October, one of the company’s most expensive attractions, where visitors are immersed completely in a Star Wars-themed adventure for multiple days.

Josh D’Amaro, head of Disney’s Parks, Experiences and Products division since 2020, said the Lake Nona project is dead. In an email to staff Thursday, he announced that employees will no longer be asked to relocate from Southern California.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well the hotel is purely cost savings as it was a terrible idea. Super rich people aren't going to want to go stay in a Star Wars hotel and the average person couldn't afford to stay there. And with only 100 rooms and all the actors they have to pay I'm sure it was hemorrhaging money.

The other part I'm sure is part cost savings and part the fact that Florida has declared war on them. People might be okay with you killing a bunch of people, but don't fuck with our amusement parks. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Yeah, the hotel was a terrible idea that was dying anyway.

Reading between the lines I think the Lake Nona project was unpopular with current leadership and staff, so this was a convenient way to kill it.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

msteelers wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:33 pm This isn’t exactly the right thread for this, but I just got word tonight that our homeowners insurance is going up another 30%.
Follow up to this, the premium to renew my existing policy would have been $6,400. I was able to sign up for USAA homeowners insurance and was quoted $3,000.

It feels too good to be true. I had an insurance agent buddy review the policy and he said to jump on it, but I'm still half expecting to find out there's a catch somewhere.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

He is just awful at this:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

He's going to get absolutely steamrolled in debates.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:31 am debates

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think the answer is starting to be pretty clear.

As far as ‘threat level’ goes, I think DeSantis is a DeFacto loss for the GOP.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He reminds me of an aspiring actor trying to do a Harry Soloman impersonation.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

So much awfulness.

Ron DeSantis will launch 2024 presidential campaign during Twitter event with Elon Musk
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis will launch his 2024 presidential campaign during a social media event with Elon Musk on Wednesday night, multiple sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.

DeSantis will declare he is seeking the Republican nomination during a live, audio-only Twitter Spaces event at 6 p.m. ET Wednesday, the sources said. The Twitter conversation will be moderated by Musk ally David Sacks.

Later Wednesday, DeSantis will appear on Fox News to talk about his campaign.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Cementing Musk's status as a centrist and not a racist authoritarian. Smart!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Twist: he’ll ask Musk to run as his VP during the interview
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

msteelers wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:48 pm
msteelers wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:33 pm This isn’t exactly the right thread for this, but I just got word tonight that our homeowners insurance is going up another 30%.
Follow up to this, the premium to renew my existing policy would have been $6,400. I was able to sign up for USAA homeowners insurance and was quoted $3,000.

It feels too good to be true. I had an insurance agent buddy review the policy and he said to jump on it, but I'm still half expecting to find out there's a catch somewhere.
Wow, it must be because Port St Lucie. We're paying $2200 here inland in Brevard County and that's with State Farm.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ah, yeah this is what I thought. That Musk thinks that DeSantis is "centrist" pretty much confirms what we already knew. I presume the Overton window hasn't moved so much that book banning, authoritarian racists are the center. I hope.

NBC News
Billionaire Elon Musk said on Friday he would support Ron DeSantis in 2024 if the Florida governor, who recently coasted to a second term, were to run for president.

“My preference for the 2024 presidency is someone sensible and centrist. I had hoped that would the case for the Biden administration, but have been disappointed so far,” Musk said on Twitter.

“Yes,” he replied in a tweet when asked if he would support DeSantis in 2024.

“As a reminder, I was a significant supporter of the Obama-Biden presidency and (reluctantly) voted for Biden over Trump,” the Twitter owner said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:08 pm Ah, yeah this is what I thought. That Musk thinks that DeSantis is "centrist" pretty much confirms what we already knew. I presume the Overton window hasn't moved so much that book banning, authoritarian racists are the center. I hope.

NBC News
Billionaire Elon Musk said on Friday he would support Ron DeSantis in 2024 if the Florida governor, who recently coasted to a second term, were to run for president.

“My preference for the 2024 presidency is someone sensible and centrist. I had hoped that would the case for the Biden administration, but have been disappointed so far,” Musk said on Twitter.

“Yes,” he replied in a tweet when asked if he would support DeSantis in 2024.

“As a reminder, I was a significant supporter of the Obama-Biden presidency and (reluctantly) voted for Biden over Trump,” the Twitter owner said.
He's as fickle and flippiity-flop as Trump. His support will last about as long as one of his Twitter policies.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, it sounds like DeSantis’ presidential campaign announcement on Twitter was pretty much a complete disaster tonight. Crashed multiple times, people talking over each other, feedback issues, and a hundred other technical glitches.

When it did work, it was basically an airing of culture war grievances and fellating of Elon Musk (side note: remember when Musk railed against big tech “helping” political candidates like…last week? Good times.).

Truly the epic clusterfuck of a campaign kickoff that he deserves.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Maybe DeSantis will eat Elon Musk’s face.

Or claim his social media announcements were even more stable and great than Trump on Truth (sarcasm intended).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

So desperate. This is why he is extremely dangerous too. We can't pretend that the republic isn't in grave danger right now.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's nice. On the bright side there's zero chance that Trump wouldn't run independent and nuke his chances. Even from jail. (Ha like that will happen.)

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I bet if DeSantis does 10 more crazy things while refusing to directly criticize Donald Trump that he'll win the primary against Donald Trump for sure.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scratch my back....
FLORIDA GOV. RON DeSantis (R-FL) signed a bill regarding spaceflight on Thursday just one day after he announced his presidential run in a glitch-filled interview with Elon Musk on Twitter Spaces.

DeSantis signed into law CS/SB 1318 – Spaceflight Entity Liability along with 27 other bills. The law exempts “spaceflight entity from liability for injury to or death of a crew resulting from spaceflight activities under certain circumstances.” The measure also requires “a spaceflight entity to have a crew sign a specified warning statement.”

Florida is a known launching point for SpaceX aircrafts, and the new law could potentially shield Musk and other space flight companies from being sued for accidents that injure or kill crew members.

Last month, SpaceX’s privately owned spaceport in South Texas launched the most powerful rocket ever built before the spacecraft exploded over the Gulf of Mexico. The explosion reportedly hurled chunks of concrete and metal thousands of feet away into sensitive habitat, and sparked a 3.5-acre fire on state park lands near the launch site. Environmental groups and cultural-heritage nonprofits are suing the Federal Aviation Administration in federal court, arguing that the agency failed to conduct a comprehensive environmental review.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:20 am
Last month, SpaceX’s privately owned spaceport in South Texas launched the most powerful rocket ever built before the spacecraft exploded over the Gulf of Mexico. The explosion reportedly hurled chunks of concrete and metal thousands of feet away into sensitive habitat, and sparked a 3.5-acre fire on state park lands near the launch site. Environmental groups and cultural-heritage nonprofits are suing the Federal Aviation Administration in federal court, arguing that the agency failed to conduct a comprehensive environmental review.
Are they also suing SpaceX? Can they stand their ground and blow up SpaceX?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:24 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:20 am
Are they also suing SpaceX? Can they stand their ground and blow up SpaceX?
Kinda?

Elon Musk's SpaceX is set to join the Federal Aviation Administration as a co-defendant to fight a lawsuit brought by environmental groups following the company's first test flight of Starship, the world's largest rocket, which ended in a mid-flight explosion last month.

In a motion filed Friday in court, SpaceX requested that federal judge Carl Nichols allow the company to join the FAA as a defendant against environmental and cultural-heritage nonprofit groups that sued the aerospace regulator earlier this month.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good luck getting that past the Commerce clause.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Further proof we are living in a simulation:
On Wednesday, the organizers behind Megaplex, an Orlando-based convention for furries — people who enjoy dressing up as or making art of anthropomorphized creatures — posted a statement on Twitter regarding its policy for admitting minors. The statement was in response to SB 1438, which makes “knowingly admitting a child to an adult live performance” a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by a year of prison and/or a $1,000 fine.

“Many have raised concerns about recent changes in Florida legislation,” the statement read. “After reviewing Florida SB 1438 it has been decided that for legal reasons and protection of our attendees, our venue, and the overall convention, Megaplex 2023 attendees must be 18 years of age at the time of registration pickup.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go