Strange LCD monitor problem

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Strange LCD monitor problem

Post by Victoria Raverna »

My monitor lately are having a problem with power sleep mode. After in sleep mode for hours, the display can't turn back on successfully. Have to turn it off using the power button then turn it back on for the display to turn on. This doesn't bother me that much but turned out there is another problem. If I turn the monitor off for a very long time (was off for 3 days), it keep failing to turn back on. It shows the Asus logo but then go blank and keep repeating that for several minutes before giving up and turn off. During that, It is not possible to cycle the power using the power button. After the display is finally off, I can turn it off and back on using the power button and the display can turn on again and work normally except the power sleep problem is still there.

Any idea what might caused that. I'll bring it to be repaired but I just want to know possible cause. What faulty part can cause something like this.
Daehawk

Re: Strange LCD monitor problem

Post by Daehawk »

Good luck. Both my Asus monitors...different models over years....have given me the same turn them off too long and they refused to easily come back to life after having them a year or so. Also the display port will fail to reinitialize after being off. With both I finally had to resort to leaving them on 24/7.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my amateur electronics guess is that a/the power supply capacitor is faulty/dead. i know you're not going to open the monitor up, but if you were, you'd check for bulging/leaking capacitors.
Victoria Raverna

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:40 am my amateur electronics guess is that a/the power supply capacitor is faulty/dead. i know you're not going to open the monitor up, but if you were, you'd check for bulging/leaking capacitors.
The monitor has an external adapter/power supply. Do you think it is likely the problem is in that adapter? If so then I can try to get a replacement instead of sending the whole unit in for repair.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:55 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:40 am my amateur electronics guess is that a/the power supply capacitor is faulty/dead. i know you're not going to open the monitor up, but if you were, you'd check for bulging/leaking capacitors.
The monitor has an external adapter/power supply. Do you think it is likely the problem is in that adapter? If so then I can try to get a replacement instead of sending the whole unit in for repair.
if what i said is the case, than more than likely it is. however, it is possible that it could be a capacitor elsewhere in the system (in the monitor itself). i just can't definitely say for sure, due to lack of (my own) knowledge.
Victoria Raverna

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:07 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:55 am
if what i said is the case, than more than likely it is. however, it is possible that it could be a capacitor elsewhere in the system (in the monitor itself). i just can't definitely say for sure, due to lack of (my own) knowledge.
I bought a non original adapter that is compatible with the monitor. So far no more waking up from sleep problem but need a few days of usage to know for sure because the problem was not intermittent. Sometime it can recover from sleep. Probably related to how long it was in sleep mode.