The rise of christofascism

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

The rise of christofascism

Post by malchior »

Might as well get the ball rolling since Rolling Stone published the allegations that the Supreme Court prayed with parties to cases that then went on to cite them.

Then we have this fun case today in Mississippi. A judge refused to halt a trigger law for abortion to go in effect and started the hearing with a religious invocation.

At the beginning of the hearing in the trigger law case Tuesday morning, Rev. Calvin Cosnahan, a United Methodist Church pastor, led a prayer as a “special chaplain” at Halford’s request.

“Lord, we pray for the presence of your holy spirt in this courtroom today. … We seek your truth, not our own. We seek your wisdom, not our own,” the minister said, asking God to “grant that the cause of truth, justice and humanity should in nowise suffer in the proceedings today.”
Carpet_pissr

Re: The rise of christofascism

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I got really upset with my mom this past weekend when I found out that she scolded my daughter when my daughter was explaining (scientifically) how clouds form and stay afloat. My mom told her that was "not true" and that God formed the clouds and held them up. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The older she gets, the more she falls into this Biblical bullshit (she also told my daughter the earth was only 6,000 years old, which is when I truly know you've fallen off the deep end).

We're at a point where the lunatics are in control of the asylum.

P.S. My mom was talking to my dad (they've been divorced for decades) and mentioned she couldn't find her car keys the other day so she prayed and prayed to find them, and stumbled across them in the bathroom. Trying to get my dad to admit what a miracle that was, my dad replied, "I'm sure God has better things to do than find your damn car keys." :lol:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

God didn't have to find her keys. The power of prayer enabled her to find her keys.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:31 pm P.S. My mom was talking to my dad (they've been divorced for decades) and mentioned she couldn't find her car keys the other day so she prayed and prayed to find them, and stumbled across them in the bathroom. Trying to get my dad to admit what a miracle that was, my dad replied, "I'm sure God has better things to do than find your damn car keys." :lol:
My whole family is big on calling out these “everyday miracles”. Beautiful sunsets. Modern medicine. The functionality and design of the human body. Chance coincidences (like finding your keys after a prayer or turning left instead of right and avoiding an accident). They are firmly convinced these things only happen because of divine providence and are proof of gods existence and grace.

They get really frustrated with my atheist brother and I when we loudly discuss the scientific reasoning behind their “miracles”.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

FWIW, according to people who study these things, there are distinctions between "Christofascism" (which involves the embrace of violence) and "Christian Nationalism" (which favors the use of politics, laws, and courts to establish a Christian state).

For example: Mike Pence and Mike Pompeo are Christian Nationalists while Marjorie T Greene, Lauren Boebert, and Paul Gosar are probably in contact with Christofascists.

I'm not sure the distinction means as much as it seems to do. I only bring it up because I imagine it will be something we hear more about in the future. Events might soon make the distinction irrelevant.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And people think us pagans are bad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:21 pm FWIW, according to people who study these things, there are distinctions between "Christofascism" (which involves the embrace of violence) and "Christian Nationalism" (which favors the use of politics, laws, and courts to establish a Christian state).
I suppose it could come down to whether or not the Christian Nationals actually denounce their fascist elements or just pretend they don't exists while encouraging them to do all the heavy lifting.

I'm going to guess...we're in trouble.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:41 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:21 pm FWIW, according to people who study these things, there are distinctions between "Christofascism" (which involves the embrace of violence) and "Christian Nationalism" (which favors the use of politics, laws, and courts to establish a Christian state).
I suppose it could come down to whether or not the Christian Nationals actually denounce their fascist elements or just pretend they don't exists while encouraging them to do all the heavy lifting.

I'm going to guess...we're in trouble.
Amen.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's not like the world has seen political movements that used arms length goon squads to do their dirty work.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:04 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:31 pm P.S. My mom was talking to my dad (they've been divorced for decades) and mentioned she couldn't find her car keys the other day so she prayed and prayed to find them, and stumbled across them in the bathroom. Trying to get my dad to admit what a miracle that was, my dad replied, "I'm sure God has better things to do than find your damn car keys." :lol:
My whole family is big on calling out these “everyday miracles”. Beautiful sunsets. Modern medicine. The functionality and design of the human body. Chance coincidences (like finding your keys after a prayer or turning left instead of right and avoiding an accident). They are firmly convinced these things only happen because of divine providence and are proof of gods existence and grace.

They get really frustrated with my atheist brother and I when we loudly discuss the scientific reasoning behind their “miracles”.
What do they think of 2 year olds left to wander the street alone because their parents were gunned down at a parade? Satan?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:31 pm I got really upset with my mom this past weekend when I found out that she scolded my daughter when my daughter was explaining (scientifically) how clouds form and stay afloat. My mom told her that was "not true" and that God formed the clouds and held them up. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The older she gets, the more she falls into this Biblical bullshit (she also told my daughter the earth was only 6,000 years old, which is when I truly know you've fallen off the deep end).

We're at a point where the lunatics are in control of the asylum.

P.S. My mom was talking to my dad (they've been divorced for decades) and mentioned she couldn't find her car keys the other day so she prayed and prayed to find them, and stumbled across them in the bathroom. Trying to get my dad to admit what a miracle that was, my dad replied, "I'm sure God has better things to do than find your damn car keys." :lol:
Your mom is precious. Kinda gross,tbh. No offense, just based on every single thing you have ever shared about her.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I call bull on the original article. I was baptized and raised Methodist, and the only thing they believe in is that if you bring a covered dish with you to the Pearly Gates, you’re going to get VIP treatment.
He won. Period.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:52 pm
What do they think of 2 year olds left to wander the street alone because their parents were gunned down at a parade? Satan?
Freedom. Why weren't the cops on TV there to save everyone? Is Touched by an Angel a documentary? What's for dinner?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And just to clarify, I don't want to bash anybody's personal religious beliefs. I have zero problems with people believing what they want to believe in regards to their spiritual side, as long as it's not forced upon me or my kids via words, actions, or laws.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:31 pm P.S. My mom was talking to my dad (they've been divorced for decades) and mentioned she couldn't find her car keys the other day so she prayed and prayed to find them, and stumbled across them in the bathroom. Trying to get my dad to admit what a miracle that was, my dad replied, "I'm sure God has better things to do than find your damn car keys." Image

Modern Medicine can certainly be seen as an everyday miracle we can take for granted, but still, that one kind of sticks out...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22 pm I call bull on the original article. I was baptized and raised Methodist, and the only thing they believe in is that if you bring a covered dish with you to the Pearly Gates, you’re going to get VIP treatment.
It's a form of Monte Christofascism.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:38 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22 pm I call bull on the original article. I was baptized and raised Methodist, and the only thing they believe in is that if you bring a covered dish with you to the Pearly Gates, you’re going to get VIP treatment.
:clap:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Bravo. For truly Monte Christo is the Christ of sandwiches.

And hepcat is an excellent host. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeef wins the internet for today, which has 24 minutes left. Hurry up and enjoy the title.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:36 pm LawBeef wins the internet for today, which has 24 minutes left. Hurry up and enjoy the title.
Concur. That was fantastic.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Honorary "Count" of the Internet, he won he did!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:15 am Honorary "Count" of the Internet, he won he did!
Yeah but that was yesterday. What's he done for us lately?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:13 pm And just to clarify, I don't want to bash anybody's personal religious beliefs. I have zero problems with people believing what they want to believe in regards to their spiritual side, as long as it's not forced upon me or my kids via words, actions, or laws.
And I don't mean to come down on your mom, but man - the things you share about her... Not a nice picture you paint.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Our Father, who art....DELICIOUS.

side note on Methodists: I may have mentioned it before, but when I was visiting my father over Christmas, he wanted to attend Christmas service at the church we attended when I was growing up. From what I remembered, it was always a pretty casual atmosphere. There was never any "fire and brimstone" style sermons. It was all pretty low key and loving, and I don't remember them condemning anyone as much as just asking people to treat each other with kindness and compassion. Flash forward to last Christmas, and while the sermon was still very peaceful and non-judgemental (to the degree it could be, of course), the audience in the pews was FAR more evangelical in their response. What I mean is, they would raise their hands to the heavens and murmur "hallelujah" every time there was a pause in a sermon. Not earth shattering, but it was a surprising change in demeanor to me. I'm used to seeing that in movies about revivalist sermons in evangelical sections of America.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:35 am
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:15 am Honorary "Count" of the Internet, he won he did!
Yeah but that was yesterday. What's he done for us lately?
This was still yesterday in CA! ;)

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unagi wrote:And I don't mean to come down on your mom, but man - the things you share about her... Not a nice picture you paint.
You may be confusing my mom with my mother-in-law. My mom's biggest flaw is the sometimes annoying religious stuff above. The MIL is the one that is a straight up racist narcissist.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:40 pm
Unagi wrote:And I don't mean to come down on your mom, but man - the things you share about her... Not a nice picture you paint.
You may be confusing my mom with my mother-in-law. My mom's biggest flaw is the sometimes annoying religious stuff above. The MIL is the one that is a straight up racist narcissist.
Im guessing that is exactly correct.
Sorry about that.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:46 am
Our Father, who art....DELICIOUS.

side note on Methodists: I may have mentioned it before, but when I was visiting my father over Christmas, he wanted to attend Christmas service at the church we attended when I was growing up. From what I remembered, it was always a pretty casual atmosphere. There was never any "fire and brimstone" style sermons. It was all pretty low key and loving, and I don't remember them condemning anyone as much as just asking people to treat each other with kindness and compassion. Flash forward to last Christmas, and while the sermon was still very peaceful and non-judgemental (to the degree it could be, of course), the audience in the pews was FAR more evangelical in their response. What I mean is, they would raise their hands to the heavens and murmur "hallelujah" every time there was a pause in a sermon. Not earth shattering, but it was a surprising change in demeanor to me. I'm used to seeing that in movies about revivalist sermons in evangelical sections of America.
Yeah. Charismatic spirituality has definitely made it into mainstream Protestantism (and even Catholicism).

What's creepy is that it's sometimes a gateway to "spiritual warfare" theology, which is how you get to claims that [lifestyle you don't like] are demon-possessed and enemies of God. (Obviously it's not always this way, I should add.)
Last edited by Holman on Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unagi wrote:Sorry about that.
No apologies necessary, I wouldn't post anything about my family if I couldn't take the heat. And believe me, none of you are as harsh a critic of my kin as I am. :lol:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Semi-related...a specific...wing of modern Christian Evangelicals that really piss me off: the Prosperity Gospel
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My dad used to criticize my mom over her christian beliefs. It wasn't a major point but none the less it always bothered me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:57 pm Semi-related...a specific...wing of modern Christian Evangelicals that really piss me off: the Prosperity Gospel
They're awful but at least they are more honest in their motivations.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:13 pm And just to clarify, I don't want to bash anybody's personal religious beliefs. I have zero problems with people believing what they want to believe in regards to their spiritual side, as long as it's not forced upon me or my kids via words, actions, or laws.
I used to think that, but given how much Christianity is being weaponized currently I'm not sure I can avoid seeing it as hostile and threatening.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Weaponization is why the Monte Christos supported Florida Man, probably the least religious SOB in the history of mankind. Upside down bible no less.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is fine.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

All that’s missing is a declaration that the evil Jews will not replace them.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

October surprise.
Maybe next year, maybe no go