Mold downstairs. Options?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Mold downstairs. Options?

Post by Jeff V »

I used to work for a company that did mold remediation among other things...that fell under the Environmental Services division. I once visited on of our Construction Services offices in central Florida...there was just a manager and one employee...who were always sick. I wasn't remotely qualified to diagnose the problem, but I asked a friend in the Tampa office to dispatch an environmental engineer to clean up what I though was likely a mold problem (old building, in a swampy area).

This office, by the way, was the target of drive-by shootings. It's location was required by the Florida DOT in order to bid on highway construction projects. The manager was a woman though, and the "good ol' boys" she competed against liked to intimidate her by shooting up the place. Always in the middle of the night. She told me it happened so often that when the police called, she asked if they had anyone in custody, and the answer was invariably no, so she told them she'll deal with it in the morning. And she had fled from the larger Atlanta office because the sexism was even worse!

Mitigation could be expensive, including replacing standard drywall with mold-resistant drywall.

'
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I don't know why but this came up in my mind. Any updates to your situation BH?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:06 am Mitigation could be expensive, including replacing standard drywall with mold-resistant drywall.
I wonder what's in that drywall exactly? I was carrying some up under my arms the other day and I got a pretty good rash on both sides. It could have also been some Tide w/lavender my sister gave me that she reacted poorly to. Haven't used the Tide or carried anymore mold-resistant drywall since and the rash is gone.
Stop funding for NPR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:54 pm I don't know why but this came up in my mind. Any updates to your situation BH?
They’re upstairs people now. The world of downstairs is a distant memory to BH and his descendants.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We're working on a long-term plan to get out. There isn't much more we can do than that right now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:20 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:06 am Mitigation could be expensive, including replacing standard drywall with mold-resistant drywall.
I wonder what's in that drywall exactly? I was carrying some up under my arms the other day and I got a pretty good rash on both sides. It could have also been some Tide w/lavender my sister gave me that she reacted poorly to. Haven't used the Tide or carried anymore mold-resistant drywall since and the rash is gone.
Maybe the drywall thinks you are a mold spore and attacks accordingly?
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:02 pm
em2nought wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:20 pm
Maybe the drywall thinks you are a mold spore and attacks accordingly?
My 'pits were rather rank. :lol:
Stop funding for NPR
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some good news on this front.

The landlady has hired? Rented? Whatever - she found a guy with some level of maintenance experience and made a deal with him. He's moving in downstairs to the moldy apartment in exchange for taking over all maintenance on the building and yard. I don't know if that constitutes the whole of his rent or what. For the time being, he's tearing out all of the affected walls (and floors - they are apparently completely rotted through in the affected areas) and replacing them before he moves in.

I still need to move, and it's still the end goal, but it's not health-endangering anymore (or won't be soon.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:dance:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's good news. Any chance he looks like this?
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:54 pm I don't know why but this came up in my mind. Any updates to your situation BH?
They’re upstairs people now. The world of downstairs is a distant memory to BH and his descendants.
They go stuck on TNT's new series, Moldpiercer!

PS - also - glad for the good news!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I have no first hand experience with mold.

There’s a story about the outcome from the investigation into the Rocky Flats plutonium cap facility that turned up missing nuclear material. ( https://www.gao.gov/products/emd-80-124 ) The most dangerous response they could’ve formulated would’ve been to go looking for it as the hypothesis was that the dust had collected in the stacks and looking for it would disturb it which would’ve been a situation nobody would want.

Mold is not plutonium. But if you have an opportunity to not be upstairs when the worst of the destruction is underway, I would take advantage of it.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Luckily, it is taking place during a five-week stint of window weather.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Good news!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.