Thousands die in Europe....

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

Thousands die in Europe....

Post by Little Raven »

As it just keeps getting hotter.
Over 1,700 people have died in Spain and Portugal from heat-related causes over the past week as an unprecedented heat wave moves through Europe.
The wave is now moving into France, Germany, and the UK. Hopefully they are better prepared.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
gilraen

Re: Thousands die in Europe....

Post by gilraen »

The heatwave in 2019 was "unprecedented". We were vacationing in Europe that year, and someone told us that there was a 4-month waitlist to get a wall AC unit installed.

UK, specifically, set an all-time record high of 38.7C in 2019. That record was smashed this week when they hit 40.3C.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I saw somewhere that houses in the UK are generally built to capture heat, so they have infrastructure actively working against them. It's kind of hard to imagine as I sat here yesterday at a comfortable 75 while it was 109 outside. Of course I may be less comfortable when the power bill comes, but my family and I are still alive...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If there's one thing I know, it's that the deaths of thousands of people will definitely spur people into taking decisive action to try and correct the issue.

/s
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The July 1995 Chicago heat wave led to 739 heat-related deaths in Chicago over a period of five days.
I was living in Ireland when that was going down. Everyone in Ireland kept telling me how great the summer was going. Lots of sun, little rain, warm but moderate temps (for this Midwesterner). Highly unusual and it lasted the whole summer.
The 1995 British Isles heat wave occurred between late July and late August.
Ireland was also widely affected by the heatwave with temperatures reaching over 30 °C (86 °F) in some locations, as well as exceptionally low rainfall throughout the summer.
Amazing how "heat wave" has an entirely different meaning there now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:38 pm If there's one thing I know, it's that the deaths of thousands of people will definitely spur people into taking decisive action to try and correct the issue.

/s
A local radio station was talking about the heat wave in the UK and mentioned in 1890 the previous record was 109. This was before industrialism so it can't be climate change. I wanted to call in and have these idiots talk to my colleagues at the California Air Resources Board so they can actually be educated.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Holman

Post by Holman »

I spent most of summer 1989 in Oxford & London. I usually had to put on a sweater in the morning or after sunset.

A lot has changed in a third of a century.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's like a scifi movie about the coming of the end of the world.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
malchior

Post by malchior »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:10 pm It's like a scifi movie about the coming of the end of the world.
Complete with the disbelief at the reality we are seeing. We're starting to hear COVID-like arguments. "I'm just asking questions here. Are they dying from heat versus dying with the heat?" Along with conspiracy theories about fires being intentionally set, etc.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:24 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:10 pm It's like a scifi movie about the coming of the end of the world.
Complete with the disbelief at the reality we are seeing. We're starting to hear COVID-like arguments. "I'm just asking questions here. Are they dying from heat versus dying with the heat?" Along with conspiracy theories about fires being intentionally set, etc.
Big Environment wants to stymie mother nature's oily bounty!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Watch the whole thing...

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.