[News] Salman Rushdie attacked

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[News] Salman Rushdie attacked

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP News
Salman Rushdie, the author whose writing led to death threats from Iran in the 1980s, was attacked and apparently stabbed in the neck Friday by a man who rushed the stage as he was about to give a lecture in western New York.

An Associated Press reporter witnessed a man confront Rushdie on stage at the Chautauqua Institution and begin punching or stabbing him 10 to 15 times as he was being introduced. The 75-year-old author was pushed or fell to the floor, and the man was arrested.

Rushdie was taken by helicopter to a hospital, state police said. His condition was not immediately known.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Re: [News] Salman Rushdie attacked

Post by dbt1949 »

With Muslim fanatics all hunting him he's been lucky they haven't gotten to him until now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

American right-wingers will have trouble here (as they did when the fatwa was declared in the late 1980s) because Rushdie is a critic of both Islamic theocracy and Western imperialism.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Latest is that Rushdie is on a ventilator and will likely lose an eye.

Suspect is a 24yo New Jersey man with pro-Iranian and Revolutionary Guard views.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:23 pm Latest is that Rushdie is on a ventilator and will likely lose an eye.

Suspect is a 24yo New Jersey man with pro-Iranian and Revolutionary Guard views.
Shouldn't be living here and definitely shouldn't have been allowed entry into that forum.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:55 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:23 pm Latest is that Rushdie is on a ventilator and will likely lose an eye.

Shouldn't be living here and definitely shouldn't have been allowed entry into that forum.
He was born in the US.

I'm an English teacher and a librarian, so I'm obviously a Rushdie fan, but how does a free country police people based on their views? And does that policing extend down to every public event, even a literary reading?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:19 pm With Muslim fanatics all hunting him he's been lucky they haven't gotten to him until now.
My first thought as well. I remember being surprised at his longevity YEARS ago.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:12 pm American right-wingers will have trouble here (as they did when the fatwa was declared in the late 1980s) because Rushdie is a critic of both Islamic theocracy and Western imperialism.
Disagree. A big part of that gang has damn near perfected overcoming/ignoring oxymorons, logical fallacies, contradictory ideas, etc.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Author Salman Rushdie has been taken off a ventilator and can talk again, nearly two days after being stabbed.
Mr Matar, from Fairview, New Jersey, was born in the US to parents who had emigrated from Lebanon, a Lebanese official has told the media.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In a perfect world, they'd give him bionic parts and set him loose on the extremists.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Robot Ernest Hemingway would be more effective, I think.

Enlarge Image
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Knife: Meditations After an Attempted Murder
by Salman Rushdie
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow