Sound card starting to fail? or Win 10 prob?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Sound card starting to fail? or Win 10 prob?

Post by Daehawk »

I cant tell if its Windows or my sound card. It started when I upgraded to Win10 though.

ill be watching a YT video or music and all is well then the next one i start the sound has receded and has a big scratchy poppy hissing in it. Kinda tin'y I can still hear the audio like a person talking ina video or the music in a music video but its lower down and has the scratchy shit over the top of it.

The only fix Ive found for this is a full system reboot. Ive tried disabling sound devices in my Device Manager and re-enabling to no effect. Only a reboot clears.

I 'think' 1 time it fixed itself after a while when I didn't feel like rebooting in the middle of a long video I didn't want to lose.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Re: Sound card starting to fail? or Win 10 prob?

Post by Blackhawk »

Have you ruled out your headset and/or speakers?

If so, try plugging them directly into the motherboard (most gaming PCs don't require sound cards anymore and haven't for years.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

does sound like a driver problem... this reminds me of the junk i went through when the SB Live! i was using would just do random stupid stuff back in the early 2000s (including BSoDs). Creative Labs' drivers were not so good.
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:23 pm Have you ruled out your headset and/or speakers?

If so, try plugging them directly into the motherboard (most gaming PCs don't require sound cards anymore and haven't for years.)
since you have a soundcard installed, disable it completely and then enable the onboard sound, trying the 'headphone/speaker out' on the mobo itself

also try a USB headset (if you have one)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ill try these things. Dont have a headset now...last one was a super nice one but broke. Had it when the wife was alive.

BTW I have a Sound Blaster Z card and some Klipsch ProMedia speakers
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"