Assassin's Creed Mirage

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Assassin's Creed Mirage

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.ign.com/articles/assassins- ... -next-week
According to many rumors and leaks from reputable sources, Assassin’s Creed Mirage will take place in Baghdad, and is rumored to occur during the ninth century AD. This Baghdad setting has been previously confirmed by sources to Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier.

If Basim is indeed the main character of Mirage, this setting would line up with where Basim would have lived in his younger days. In the Valhalla quest mission “A Bloody Welcome,” Basim reveals to Eivor that his father was an architect who constructed the Great Mosque of Samarra. The Great Mosque is a real structure that was indeed built in the ninth century AD in Samarra, a city located in present-day Iraq. Samarra is only about 80 miles away from Baghdad, which would have been the major population and cultural hub of the time.

The time period is set during the Islamic Golden Age, and could specifically fall into the time period known as the Anarchy at Samarra. The Anarchy at Samarra was a time of political volatility and uprisings against the Abbasid Caliphate, which controlled most of the Middle East and northern Africa at the time. While this is still yet to be confirmed, that sort of time period sounds ripe for an assassin’s guild to start up.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage

Post by YellowKing »

The only rumor I'm concerned about is the idea that they're stripping away the RPG elements and returning more to a "classic" Assassin's Creed style. Personally I've liked every AC game with RPG elements more than any of the classic ACs, so I'm hoping it's not a step backwards.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:18 pm The only rumor I'm concerned about is the idea that they're stripping away the RPG elements and returning more to a "classic" Assassin's Creed style. Personally I've liked every AC game with RPG elements more than any of the classic ACs, so I'm hoping it's not a step backwards.
Yeah, I've seen the reports as well, but I'm hoping they can find a good middle ground where they don't take away some of the better aspects of the RPG, but do get rid of things like the endless gear levels, overwhelming skill trees and the mandatory requirements of open combat. I was almost going to cancel my Ubisoft+ account, but between having access to old Far Cry games and getting early looks at upcoming releases it's worth the cost to keep it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive only finished 1 and Origins. I didn't really like 2 and 3 was semi ok to me. I loved origins so much and Odyssey was looking like a winner too. I enjoy Syndicate ok but LOVED Black Flag the most. Hope they make a new pirate game like BF...they can leave the AC stuff out if they want.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:18 pm The only rumor I'm concerned about is the idea that they're stripping away the RPG elements and returning more to a "classic" Assassin's Creed style. Personally I've liked every AC game with RPG elements more than any of the classic ACs, so I'm hoping it's not a step backwards.
I am fine with the RPG stuff going way if it means it is more of a stealth focused assassination game like the earlier games. You don't need a skill tree if you insta-kill on stealth hits.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am definitely in the "more like AC2" camp. Origins was ok, but I lost interest quickly. Too many open world games. I miss games with carefully crafted quests/levels. If more open world games were as well crafted as Witcher 3, then fine.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in the camp of I love the newer stuff but wish they'd remove the Assassins Creed animus and crap from them. Dont care about the present day and such...just leave me in the past and leave me alone to play the game. Not sure on Valhalla yet as I only played to England and quit...may or may not restart when I go back to it.

If they want to use all the Assassins Creed stuff in older AC type games more power to them. Then Id have a choice of two different franchises or maybe just the one I love.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Instead of worrying about the RPG's lets focus on reducing the waste. Less collecting, less side quests, more story driven gameplay
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:49 pm Instead of worrying about the RPG's lets focus on reducing the waste. Less collecting, less side quests, more story driven gameplay
Hmm, I agree with the less collecting, but I still like side quests to break up the chain of main missions. But yes, let's drop the collecting. I never want to have to hunt down animals or collect wood to upgrade a quiver or a shield again :(
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First game play trailer!

Definitely looks more like the original AC or AC2 to me...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm fine with a smaller more focused game, but I have my doubts it will be any less busy. The earlier games, especially the first two, were full of busy work activities that you needed to do to clear out sectors that made the games feel very repetitive. I hated the flag collecting minigame.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been keeping my Ubisoft+ account, but was thinking about dumping it. But I guess I can hold in there till October.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Uh-oh, Assassin's Creed Mirage's hero is looking a little OP... what with all the teleporting he does

First of all, I don't know what OP means in this usage :roll:. However, this concerned me:
So far, pretty standard, enjoyable assassin stuff. But then things get a little weird. Basim has an ability called Assassin's Focus that allows him to target multiple enemies before launching an attack that will take them all out. We got a glimpse of this power last month but now we really get to see it in action, and it's... kinda like using a cheat code.

I assumed you'd target a few enemies and Basim would leap between them, kinda like Batman does when he's on a roll. Stomp the first one, zip over and eliminate the second one, then maybe do a flip to take out the third one. But, no. Basim just sorta teleports from guy to guy, stabbing them to death:

He literally dematerializes and then reappears right in front of each of the three enemies like a ghost (at 5:46 in the video). A very stabby ghost. Being able to just beam from one enemy to the other, like the Starship Enterprise was having a transporter room malfunction, seems like a bit of a cheat.

On the plus side, it's not like you can just use Assassin's Focus indiscriminately. At the same point in the gameplay breakdown video, the developers explain "It's not something you can use at will. Basim will need to perform stealth skills to fill up his Assassin's Focus gauge and use this ability."

So, Basim may be a murderous ghost capable of teleporting right in front of the people he wants to kill, then kill them, then evaporate like mist, but at least he can't do it all the time. You're gonna have to be a stealthy human if you want to turn into a stabby ghost.
This teleporting concerns me, if the game is designed that it has to be used at times. Anyway, below is the whole gameplay video, which I haven't watched since I don't want see spoilers.

naednek

Post by naednek »

so basically redeye in RDR1 and RDR2
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:23 am so basically redeye in RDR1 and RDR2
Yup, that's what it looks like to me. Not impressed, I want my old Assassin's Creed, thank you.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I know what you mean about the dematerializing. It looks weird too. A little too metaphysical. Perhaps that's only used as one of those tutorial examples, as part of the memories. Those older ones have always appeared in an exaggerated and stylized fashion, and maybe that's trying to replicate this. In that context, it wouldn't show the entire animation, only the show the first step, ie the tagging, and then the assassinating itself.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:56 pm First of all, I don't know what OP means in this usage :roll:.
Overpowered.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:56 pm This teleporting concerns me, if the game is designed that it has to be used at times.
An answer from the devs, Here’s why Assassin’s Creed Mirage has that weird teleport move
“Assassin Focus is a mechanic similar to Double Assassination that controls the flow of multiple targets in close proximity with Basim’s concentration,” Assassin’s Creed Mirage animation director Benjamin Potts says.

“Assassin Focus was also created as a movement opportunity for the protagonist that has never been seen before, in order to express Basim’s agility. It took me a lot of different ideas and prototypes to get here. At first, it was too powerful, but I was able to build up the gauge by succeeding in stealth, and then I was able to use it, and it was sublimated into Assassin’s Creed-like skill.

The “Assassin’s Creed protagonist is a human and not a superhero,” Potts continues. “So we’ve done a lot of work to ensure that multiple assassinations can be done with smooth transitions while still being ground-based.”

Keep in mind that this 4Gamer interview has been machine translated and we’ve edited parts of what was said for clarity.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's right kids! If you keep up those stretching exercises, you'll be able to teleport around the room, too!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:25 pm Ive only finished 1 and Origins. I didn't really like 2 and 3 was semi ok to me. I loved origins so much and Odyssey was looking like a winner too. I enjoy Syndicate ok but LOVED Black Flag the most. Hope they make a new pirate game like BF...they can leave the AC stuff out if they want.
Skull and Bones.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:08 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:25 pm Ive only finished 1 and Origins. I didn't really like 2 and 3 was semi ok to me. I loved origins so much and Odyssey was looking like a winner too. I enjoy Syndicate ok but LOVED Black Flag the most. Hope they make a new pirate game like BF...they can leave the AC stuff out if they want.
Skull and Bones.
That looks neat. I think I was posting about this years ago. But there were so many pirate games out and coming out I got them all mixed together and forgot about most of them. Some Im sure failed or were cancelled. This one looks cool. If the multiplayer part of it is like ESO where I can go my own way alone without being bothered and can experience the story but have others around for fun and games and the feeling of lore & a living world and such....Im ALL for a game like that!

I signed up for beta.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This looks like Origins 2.0. Which Im fine with as I loved and finished Origins..

Also I can barely understand some of those people...they need to take the food out of their mouths then talk. :)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:25 pm
Also I can barely understand some of those people...they need to take the food out of their mouths then talk. :)
They speak english a hell of a lot better than I speak french.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The release date has been moved up from October 12th to October 5th, per a post from the devs which now I cannot find :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A week!!?? That’s like 7 days in real life!
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How much would that be in Canadia?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Careful. I got chastised once for Canadian jokes. Oddly enough, I also got chastised for excessive Lithuanian jokes at one point too.
He won. Period.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:30 pm Careful. I got chastised once for Canadian jokes.
Did you hear about the guy with a map of Canada tattoed on his butt? Every time he sits down Quebec separates.

What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Titanic have in common? They both look good until they hit the ice.

How do you get 50 Canadians out of a swimming pool? You say, “please get out of the swimming pool.”

In Canada the seasons are, almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.

What does Canada produce that no other country in the world produces? Canadians.

Someone tried to sell me Canada. I was having Nunavut.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now do Greenland!
He won. Period.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:49 pm Now do Greenland!
I asked my friend in Greenland, what it's like living there.
He told me it's so great, he's on top of the World

After a gruesome murder in Greenland the suspect is taken in for questioning by the police.
Inspector: Would you mind telling us where you were on the night from October 11th to March 5th?

A Priest working in a remote parish in Greenland gets his yearly visit from his Bishop.
The Bishop asks him, "How are you managing with the loneliness?"
The Priest responds, " If it wasn't for my Rosary and my whiskey, I couldn't make it. Would you like a shot of whiskey?"
The Bishop nods his head yes.
The Priest yells out, "Hey Rosary, bring us two shots of whisky "
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:57 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:49 pm Now do Greenland!
<snip>
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Flamingos!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played Assassin's Creed Mirage, and it really is a throwback to the best of the series
As a fan of classic Assassin's Creed who felt left behind by the series' transformation into loot-driven RPGs, I'm still reeling from a few hours with Mirage. All of that talk about making a throwback AC game that prioritizes stealth and climbing over swordfighting and horseback riding wasn't just lip service—Mirage moves like an Ezio-era AC game with modern improvements. Rooftops are Basim's home turf, guards die to a hidden blade regardless of level, and swordfights can end with a single counter-attack.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How did you get to play it already? It reminds me of Origins in it's setting. I ended up loving Origins.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He didn't play it... The person in the link played it. It seems they hosted an event and let a lot of people preview it. I saw a bunch of videos pop up this week. It really does look like Origins 2.0 which I'm TOTALLY in for. I loved Origins.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

my cpu and vid card are beyond old. But I do have 16 gig ram and win 10 :). Origins ran good. The little I played of Odyssey ran great...better than Origins. I should restart Odyssey and actually play it. I had only played it 2 days when my wife suffered that damn stroke. Haven't touched it since. I really loved Origins though.