Don't Dump On ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Don't Dump On ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Octavious »

So I rented a dumpster as we're cleaning out a bunch of stuff. Yesterday we pretty much filled it up so yay us. I came home today and I see this big black bag in the front of the dumpster that I know I didn't leave. I check and it's a bag full of food. Like I mean big construction bag full of food. This is not ours and I was not amused. A. I paid for this darn dumpster don't throw your shit in there. B. We have bears the size of Mexico and they will show up if you put food in there. C. You aren't allowed to put food waste in the dumpster at all. So I'm going to have to drag it out and throw it out myself.

Sooooo I got me some gloves and dragged the bag out. And started searching it for mail. Right on freaking top is mail with their name and address. Called the police who showed up and kindly delivered it back to the persons house. Said person tried to deny any knowledge of what it was, but obviously we knew from the mail. Finally admitted it and they actually drove over to say sorry for being a dick. This might be because I was going to report them for illegally dumping ;) (I totally wasn't going to bother but I said to the cop I would).

So moral of the story? If you are going to dump shit A. Hide the bag. B. Don't leave mail if you don't.

FYI I originally was going to deliver it myself and thought that may be a bad idea. The dude was a splitting image and size of Michael Clarke Duncan. I made a wise choice. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Re: Don't Dump On ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Daehawk »

Ya but your avatar suggests you have that bag of guns you got off the gang bangers before going to the burger joint.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm a pacifist, but I'm starting to wonder if I should be. :P I'm sick of people taking advantage and will not take crap from anyone anymore. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I mean, ASP baton, KA-BAR, 9mm...

Pick your poison or escalation path.

Or move out of New Jersey.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good story.

A dumpster came into our lives -- inasmuch as our driveway is our lives -- when we had our porch rebuilt. Only after it was gone did it strike me that I could've gotten rid of the trash piles that our neighbors have built on our property line. I mean, the piles are on their property, and our cats appreciate all the rodents living in them, but their back yard is our front yard so their trash is front-and-center for us. Especially since they butchered their half of the hedge that I planted between us, and the half-hedge on our side doesn't hide much because we're on the shady side of the hedge, which ought to be a band name.

If I had crossed the line and loaded all their crap into our dumpster, I wonder if they would've thanked me, called the cops on me, or even noticed. We have frosty-polite relations.

There's a town ordinance I could invoke if I want to be That Guy, and I'll probably use it when we put our house up for sale. Wife says she'll "speak to them" about it first, but she's been saying that for at least 10 years now. These trash piles are historic.

Anyway, my story's the opposite of yours and I missed my dumpster moment.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:02 am shady side of the hedge, which ought to be a band name.
Dark side of the hedge: Curator brings his take on artificial landscapes to West Dallas
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:00 am I mean, ASP baton, KA-BAR, 9mm...

Pick your poison or escalation path.

Or move out of New Jersey.
The nanosecond my daughter graduates high school I'm bolting unless the market is totally tanked. We LOVE the Williamsburg, VA area and plan on moving down there at some point. My brother thinks I'm crazy, but whatevers... :P

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Octavious wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:17 pm Finally admitted it and they actually drove over to say sorry for being a dick
The fact that there are people that will go out of their way to load into their car and drive a big bag full of crap around just to toss it in someone else's dumpster is mind boggling to me.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:22 am
Octavious wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:17 pm Finally admitted it and they actually drove over to say sorry for being a dick
The fact that there are people that will go out of their way to load into their car and drive a big bag full of crap around just to toss it in someone else's dumpster is mind boggling to me.
Garbage only comes once a week here. If you don't have a garage it can be a real PITA. If you put it out early it will get ripped apart by gigantic bears. I'm talking the Great Outdoors size bears. So ya I get why it happened, but it's shitty. As they know that I would probably have a gigantic f'n bear coming. And as my car is parked next to it, I probably would have a bear climbing my hood. Which means I could have had a damaged car. The more I think about it the more annoyed I am. :P

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

For us, it's raccoons which will tip your garbage out into the street if you leave the bins out overnight.

However, the bins are tall enough so that if you push them out about 8-12 inches from the curb, they can't stand on the curb to tip them over. Allegedly. After a couple of mornings cleaning up after then, I usually just take the trash out in the mornings... and deal with it if I slept in.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This was down the road the other day. This is a tiny bear compared to the one outside my house the one day.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:14 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:02 am shady side of the hedge, which ought to be a band name.
Dark side of the hedge: Curator brings his take on artificial landscapes to West Dallas
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Once in high school we tee-peed someone’s house including basically turning there lawn into shredded paper. The guy who did that wasn’t smart enough to remove his parents names from a bunch of stuff and they got calls about it. My friend spent a Sunday cleaning that up.

Every construction site that has a dumpster has problems with people dumping their crap in it. Somehow it is human nature to do that.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

since we have compost and recycling pickup (where most of my waste goes) and i take plastic bags/film/packaging to the grocery store for recycling myself, i generate just enough landfill basura to fill a small garbage bag about every month and a half.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Octavious wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:58 am This was down the road the other day. This is a tiny bear compared to the one outside my house the one day.

Enlarge Image
That's adorable, but I just never think of NJ like that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Our neighbor across the alley always puts their Amazon boxes in our recycling bin. They never break them down and often they have plastic wrap or styrofoam in them. They never remove the labels so I know exactly who they are. If they're empty I'll break them down and put in our bin but if they have shit in them I throw throw them over their fence.

If you're not going to bother, just put them in the trash. They have tons of trash bins. It's some weird kind of conscience easing thing to put trash in recycling bins?

We have cameras, they have cameras, I've told them to stop it. They don't. it's crazy.

Oh, and this past week they dumped about 15 boxes on top of and next to our bins. No exaggeration. I didn't have time to throw them in their yard before work and recycling collection had come before I got back. No exaggeration, 15 boxes all with packaging materials in them.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Renting a dumpster was one of the most satisfying things I've ever experienced. When we moved, I knew we had a TON of stuff we needed to get rid of, so I finally bit the bullet and rented a dumpster to sit in the driveway for a week.

The sheer joy of saying "Nah I don't need this anymore" and then being able to walk five feet to the driveway and just chunk it was indescribable. If I could afford it, and it wasn't a community eyesore, I'd love to have a permanent dumpster beside my house that they picked up every couple of weeks.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:48 am
Octavious wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:58 am This was down the road the other day. This is a tiny bear compared to the one outside my house the one day.

Enlarge Image
That's adorable, but I just never think of NJ like that.
why not? obviously those bears are in "waste management".
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I think the crazy feral cat ladies like to turn back the lids on our dumpsters so their little precious predators can get in along with raccoons. :lol:
two months
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We are cut from the same cloth. Quite a few years ago I did something similar. We were living in a townhouse and our community dumpster was frequently targeted by people that lived in single family homes in the same development. If they couldn't fit their garbage into the two containers they were permitted, they'd drive up to our dumpster and unload, completely filling it up. Well one day I rolled into the area where the dumpster was and it was filled with giant contractor black bags - like 8 or 10. I opened one and like you saw it had mail in it from a house a few blocks over, so at 10pm I took them all out, slapped them into the back of my Subaru wagon and tossed them all on their front lawn. Never happened again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:34 am
stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:22 am
Garbage only comes once a week here. If you don't have a garage it can be a real PITA. If you put it out early it will get ripped apart by gigantic bears. I'm talking the Great Outdoors size bears. So ya I get why it happened, but it's shitty. As they know that I would probably have a gigantic f'n bear coming. And as my car is parked next to it, I probably would have a bear climbing my hood. Which means I could have had a damaged car. The more I think about it the more annoyed I am. :P
You should work for the NJ tourism board.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:16 am Every construction site that has a dumpster has problems with people dumping their crap in it. Somehow it is human nature to do that.
I have done this, although not construction sites. Our local trash won't pick up large items. Have a coffee table to throw away? That's a trip to the city dump and a $40 fee. Or you can do what we do - chop it up and throw it away a piece or two at a time. Our mother-in-law's storage room is at least 1/4 items that we can't get rid of - like an old mattress. There just isn't any way to dispose of it. Have a dead air conditioner? That's a 200-mile round trip and a huge fee, and that's assuming that we could get it into the trunk in a manner suitable for highway driving. It would literally have cost more to get rid of it than it did to buy it. So, yeah - we threw it in a dumpster at a residential building across town.

I still feel guilt over not disposing of it properly, but there are no options here for getting rid of anything that isn't house trash for people without a lot of money and a truck.

We did have a recycling service here for about a year, a standard, modern recycling bin at the curb with weekly pickup plan. They couldn't get the redneck population who had never recycled to stop throwing food in the recycling bin and treating it as an extra trash can, so they revoked the contract with the city.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A year or so ago, I was taking my trash out to the dumpster behind my apartment building. At the same time, a garbage truck was pulling up to the apartment next door. Silly me, I thought the city handled all garbage pick ups, but apparently buildings contract out to garbage trucks in this area (and maybe many others, I'm clueless on how garbage is handled...I just assumed it was magic), so when I saw that the dumpster for my building was too full, I just walked across the street and hurled my garbage in the other apartment building's dumpster. At that point, the truck that was pulling away abruptly stopped and a very angry guy jumped off the back and berated me for doing that. I was horrified, so I did what anyone would do...I started to climb up the side of the dumpster so I could reach in and get mine. My plan went no further than that as the dumpster for my building was, as I mentioned, full. So I guess I was just going to wonder the streets of Rogers Park in Chicago with a leaking bag of garbage like a moron.

Thankfully, the guy who had just berated me, gave me a look that basically said, "Good lord, you're an idiot" and motioned for me to just leave it and then he reached in and tossed it in his truck.

To this day, when I see a garbage truck, I hide. I still wear my shame like a scarlet letter. :oops:
He won. Period.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Octavious wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:17 pm Right on freaking top is mail with their name and address. Called the police who showed up and kindly delivered it back to the persons house.
Did you also include the twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with the circles and the arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against him?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Brian wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:09 am
Octavious wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:17 pm Right on freaking top is mail with their name and address. Called the police who showed up and kindly delivered it back to the persons house.
Did you also include the twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with the circles and the arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against him?
:clap:

:mrgreen:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Brian wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:09 am
Kid, what'd you get?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I feel like I'm missing a joke here? Is that a reference to something in particular? :?

Brian

Post by Brian »

Give it a listen (at least the first half) and you'll understand.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LOL. I never heard that before. People need to stop leaving envelopes. ;)

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:53 am
Scuzz wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:16 am Every construction site that has a dumpster has problems with people dumping their crap in it. Somehow it is human nature to do that.
I have done this, although not construction sites. Our local trash won't pick up large items. Have a coffee table to throw away? That's a trip to the city dump and a $40 fee. Or you can do what we do - chop it up and throw it away a piece or two at a time. Our mother-in-law's storage room is at least 1/4 items that we can't get rid of - like an old mattress. There just isn't any way to dispose of it. Have a dead air conditioner? That's a 200-mile round trip and a huge fee, and that's assuming that we could get it into the trunk in a manner suitable for highway driving. It would literally have cost more to get rid of it than it did to buy it. So, yeah - we threw it in a dumpster at a residential building across town.

I still feel guilt over not disposing of it properly, but there are no options here for getting rid of anything that isn't house trash for people without a lot of money and a truck.

We did have a recycling service here for about a year, a standard, modern recycling bin at the curb with weekly pickup plan. They couldn't get the redneck population who had never recycled to stop throwing food in the recycling bin and treating it as an extra trash can, so they revoked the contract with the city.
In LA they let you just put mattresses on the side of the road for pick up. When my daughter lived down there we visited once at the end of the month and the streets were littered with mattresses.

My city in California has two annual neighborhood clean up days when you can put out almost anything and the city will pick it up for free. Furniture, appliances, tree trimmings etc. It’s a great service.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I think we used to do that once a year, but they stopped. Honestly if they had thrown something like a chair or something i wouldn't have really cared. It's putting actual food in there that pissed me off so much. Oh sure I'll just have your rotting garbage in my yard for the next two weeks. :P

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm not all that surprised. We too have only pickup once a week. And we've had issues with bears to the point the city had to create a bear hotline. I had a bear cub 10 ft away from me in my own yard at one point. Then the next day, some asshole decided to take matters into his own hands and shoot one on his own property which caused a lot of controversy. The main recommendation the city has is to not have birdfeeders which just end up attracting bears.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:32 am It's some weird kind of conscience easing thing to put trash in recycling bins?
there's a term for that - 'aspirational recycling'

https://www.republicservices.com/blog/5 ... l-recycler

https://www.earthday.org/confessions-of ... -recycler/
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wife just called the city alderbeing to get a truck top from the neighbors removed from the alley, along with a mattress we’ve just replaced but haven’t put out yet.

It’s considered necessary trash removal to avoid providing housing for rats and other urban critters. If you know how the city works, crap doesn’t need to pile up in the alley.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Going back to comments I'd made elsewhere about Chicago being at the vanguard of public health. This is unheard of and yet it's a decade old now:
In partnership with the Event and Pattern Detection Laboratory (EPD Lab) at Carnegie Mellon University, Chicago’s Department of Innovation and Technology (DoIT) is taking on a predictive approach to the “war on rats.” By using data in innovative ways to help keep rat populations down, Chicago is putting to use a new strategy that can not only enhance rodent control initiatives, but add precision to other strategies that address a wide range of urban problems.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

October 2021
While Chicago was named the "rattiest" city in the U.S. for the seventh year in a row, Orkin said rodents have been exhibiting "unusual" or "aggressive" behavior in cities throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
Of the 50 cities across the U.S. ranked by Orkin in the "2021 Rattiest Cities List," the top five locations remained the same as last year.
  1. Chicago
  2. Los Angeles
  3. New York
  4. Washington, D.C.
  5. San Francisco
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:08 pm October 2021
While Chicago was named the "rattiest" city in the U.S. for the seventh year in a row, Orkin said rodents have been exhibiting "unusual" or "aggressive" behavior in cities throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
Of the 50 cities across the U.S. ranked by Orkin in the "2021 Rattiest Cities List," the top five locations remained the same as last year.
  1. Chicago
  2. Los Angeles
  3. New York
  4. Washington, D.C.
  5. San Francisco
Maybe we can bus some of them to Texas and Florida?*
:)

*This is a disclaimer.
In no way am I comparing the migrant problem to the rat problem. Nor am I equating migrants to rats.
Nor is it meant to bring politics into this thread. It's merely an attempt at humor. Not that I'm laughing at the migrant or rat problem.
I added a smiley emoji to emphasis my intention to make a funny. If anyone is offended by my post, I am deeply sorry and I hope this disclaimer brings you some sense of solice.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:30 pm *This is a disclaimer.
In no way am I comparing the migrant problem to the rat problem. Nor am I equating migrants to rats.
Nor is it meant to bring politics into this thread. It's merely an attempt at humor. Not that I'm laughing at the migrant or rat problem.
I added a smiley emoji to emphasis my intention to make a funny. If anyone is offended by my post, I am deeply sorry and I hope this disclaimer brings you some sense of solice.
OK you got me. :lol:

I was happy to see Detroit not in the top 5, knowing how many rat advisories there have been in recent years in the metro area. I even had a blight notice posted on my door and was asked to no longer compost, though I've never had a rat problem. Woodchuck, mice, and friggen squirrells, yes. Rats, never seen signs of one. (I don't mind the bunnies). Then I clicked on the link...
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And then there's this!

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:03 pm I was happy to see Detroit not in the top 5, knowing how many rat advisories there have been in recent years in the metro area. I even had a blight notice posted on my door and was asked to no longer compost, though I've never had a rat problem. Woodchuck, mice, and friggen squirrells, yes. Rats, never seen signs of one. (I don't mind the bunnies). Then I clicked on the link...
  1. Chicago
  2. Los Angeles
  3. New York
  4. Washington, D.C.
  5. San Francisco
  6. Baltimore
  7. Philadelphia
  8. Detroit
  9. Denver
  10. Cleveland