Ebay selling question need fast response plz!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Ebay selling question need fast response plz!

Post by Daehawk »

We used to buy and sell on ebay year ago but Ive not used it since like 2017. I used to be able to set the payment method and have it list only ships to US.

But I dont see the ship only to US any longer but worse it it only has the option to let ebay handle payments...and it shows accepted types as paypal and credit cards and all kinds of stuff. I only have paypal...how would ebay give me my money on a sell?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Re: Ebay selling question need fast response plz!

Post by McNutt »

I believe you receive it to your Paypal account and then you have to initiate a transfer, so the money would go to your bank in a few days.

A quicker alternative is to sell on Facebook Marketplace. This lets you set the area and people can come pick it up from your house and give cash or use Paypal, Venmo, whatever. When I needed something sold quickly, this is what I used.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya thats the way it used to be....Im seeing something now about having to have a Payoneer account...ebay seems to handle it all and take all kinds of payments which go into that then from there to your bank you link....least that seems to be what Im seeing. So Im signing up for a account...always something for fees I guess. By the time they are all done you get $1.

EDIT: Oh and it takes up to 3 days to verify a new account..joy..well there goes selling anything today. Its ok..gives me more time to rummage for more stuff to sell :)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

If you need to sell quickly and don't want to drive back and forth to the post office to mail it, why aren't you selling locally through Facebook? You sell it quickly and and if you ask for cash you can get paid quickly. Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FB nowadays are full of bots controlled by African Scammers. Remember, local only, cash only.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Ship to US only" is in the listing options.

PayPal sends to your bank. There isn't a fee if you use ACH.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't sold on ebay in at least 5 years. Used to be when an item sold it went to my paypal. But now days along with my Paypal ebay uses a place called Payoneer. I figure its just another fee place like Paypal. Anyways it had me make and account and link it to my ebay. Now Ebay is more automated and it will accept all kinds of payments like paypal and credit cards and such I normally cant accept but Payoneer does..handles it all.

Well and good but I just sold an item and it says Ive got paid...but I dont see any money anywhere....not on ebay, not paypal, not payoneer..nowhere. So wheres my money?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:46 pm FB nowadays are full of bots controlled by African Scammers. Remember, local only, cash only.
Yep, I had to swat away quite a few when I recently sold my PSVR.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:10 pm I haven't sold on ebay in at least 5 years. Used to be when an item sold it went to my paypal. But now days along with my Paypal ebay uses a place called Payoneer. I figure its just another fee place like Paypal. Anyways it had me make and account and link it to my ebay. Now Ebay is more automated and it will accept all kinds of payments like paypal and credit cards and such I normally cant accept but Payoneer does..handles it all.

Well and good but I just sold an item and it says Ive got paid...but I dont see any money anywhere....not on ebay, not paypal, not payoneer..nowhere. So wheres my money?
In your wallet in the cloud.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

pretend money
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ebay sure seems to charge more than I remember. Its been years so maybe Im remembering wrong but on a $254 sale Im only seeing $222 of it. Geez. I think in the old days it would be more like $245 Id see.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Shipping charge maybe?
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe...but I was thinking that would extra over the sale....least it used to be added on. So if an item sold for $20 and shipping was $5 the buyer paid $25 total. Ebay has totally changed the way stuff worked.

Used to the item sold, the money went into my paypal, I shipped the item.

Now it looked like item sells, money is in ebay when I thought it would be in Payoneer then transfer to where I wanted it, from ebay it goes to bank, then I ship.....Im not sure if it works that way then why did I have to sign up for Payoneer? Shrug.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:47 am Ebay sure seems to charge more than I remember. Its been years so maybe Im remembering wrong but on a $254 sale Im only seeing $222 of it. Geez. I think in the old days it would be more like $245 Id see.
That's about 12.5%. Most of their final value fees are between 10 and 15%. After listing fees and PayPal/Payoneer cut you did pretty good.

$9 on a $254 sale would be 3.5%. Don't think it's been that low since maybe the first few years.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:47 am Ebay sure seems to charge more than I remember. Its been years so maybe Im remembering wrong but on a $254 sale Im only seeing $222 of it. Geez. I think in the old days it would be more like $245 Id see.
Maybe you should sell locally cash only.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nobody local will buy the stuff I sell on ebay and for as much. Plus I dont have to deal with them...the meeting them...or if they want to return something they've had a week I dont have to fool with the badgering.

I did get all my banking stuff squared away. Ebay still has a hold on my money...stating two reasons...1. I ma new seller....which Im not as we were always selling stuff on here...I did change my bank account details..had to after wife passed. ...and 2. It had me ship the item before they would release my money. Thats new. Felt weird shipping away my item when I dont actually have the money in my hands yet. Oh well. This first stuff is all a test of it anyways to see how it goes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:55 pm Nobody local will buy the stuff I sell on ebay and for as much. Plus I dont have to deal with them...the meeting them...or if they want to return something they've had a week I dont have to fool with the badgering.

I did get all my banking stuff squared away. Ebay still has a hold on my money...stating two reasons...1. I ma new seller....which Im not as we were always selling stuff on here...I did change my bank account details..had to after wife passed. ...and 2. It had me ship the item before they would release my money. Thats new. Felt weird shipping away my item when I dont actually have the money in my hands yet. Oh well. This first stuff is all a test of it anyways to see how it goes.
I'm sure your history with them is so long ago now that it doesn't count as an 'established seller'.

That being the case, (and honestly, even if someone wasn't a new seller) it makes some sense for them to actually be acting as the middle man and keep the money until it's shipped. I mean - if you haven't yet shipped the item and are a new seller - how are they to know that you even will?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:55 pm Nobody local will buy the stuff I sell on ebay and for as much. Plus I dont have to deal with them...the meeting them...or if they want to return something they've had a week I dont have to fool with the badgering.

That's why they take a cut. Their reach is huge and they deal with a lot of the bullshit.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:11 pm

That's why they take a cut. Their reach is huge and they deal with a lot of the bullshit.

Plus they need to stay in business. Even the classified ads back in 'the day' had fees.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Honest question - if anyone knows the answer...

What would/does eBay do if a seller ships 'nothing' to the buyer and the seller has collected their money before the buyer can complain about it? Do they track people down? Do they have some way to claw back?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:24 pm Honest question - if anyone knows the answer...

What would/does eBay do if a seller ships 'nothing' to the buyer and the seller has collected their money before the buyer can complain about it? Do they track people down? Do they have some way to claw back?
I'm pretty sure that is where the term "drone strike" originated.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at the breakdown again I see that $26 went to TAX. Tax didn't used to be part of the sale price. If you sold an item for $25 you got $25 minus ebay fees of a couple bux if that. So looks like in future sales Ill need to include taxes in my asking price.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:53 pm Looking at the breakdown again I see that $26 went to TAX. Tax didn't used to be part of the sale price. If you sold an item for $25 you got $25 minus ebay fees of a couple bux if that. So looks like in future sales Ill need to include taxes in my asking price.
Lots of things online used to skirt the tax laws. That was brought to an end quite a while ago.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

eBay will side with the buyer if there’s a problem. There’s more difficulty in attracting buyers than sellers for eBay. They’ll slurp the funds back under those terms of service.

Sellers are now treated as businesses. eBay will no longer extend its neck to help them evade local taxes. Too much liability for them.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The tax part I could maybe understand if I was a market and selling new items. But this is used stuff...same as a yard sale or want ad. I dont see why tax is taken. Ebay should be no different than a want ad in a paper. Pay a fee and thats it. Seems shady.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Seems like the Ebay charge is money well spent then.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You should be collecting tax on your yard sales. There is no enforcement for the small guys, but eBay is a national target and covers it’s liability.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still not thrilled with a glorified middleman taking taxes. But nothing I can do about it.

So what if you sell and ship and expensive item and the seller claims all they got was a empty box? That seems unfair.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well now Im worried about a sale. My listings are NOT supposed to sell to international buyers. They shouldn't even see it. But I had an item sell and when I looked at location it says china with an address in germany. I looked up shipping and on the item page all Im seeing is $10 domestic...yet they won the bid. If I ship to there I looked it up and its like $60..thats more than the selling price. I doubt they'll want to pay that and I sure wont be.....so now Im worried Ill ge ta bad mark. Our ebay ..well mine alone now..is perfect with hundreds of sells and feedback. I would hate for it to be tarnished.

The buyer hasn't paid yet..it was a buy now so they should be able to pay if they want. Or I could send an invoice but it would show that high ship price and not the one listed in the item they saw.

So should I contact them and explain before they pay or refund it afterwards and explain after I see what address it really goes to? This sucks...ebay used to be EASY...settings were clear..now its a lot of guesswork and automation.

EDIT: Or should I just send it and lose money on it and basically give the item away? Would save my feedback score but I need money right now more than giving it away. But feedback is important.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Talk to Support.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Could it be possible Im seeing $10 shipping on the listing because its ME looking at it and Im local / domestic?
telcta

Post by telcta »

I had good luck with EBay many years ago but even then it was a little confusing (to me) how all the shipping details were explained.

Last year we setup an account on Mercari to try it out and have been successful with moving our items. We have over 200 sales in a little over a year. And everything is strictly domestic and figuring out shipping is straight forward.

Like eBay, Mercari will now send a tax form if you have over $600 in sales. So I try to have separate buckets to divvy each sale for taxes and shipping materials.

It amazes me what people will buy.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:10 pm Well now Im worried about a sale. My listings are NOT supposed to sell to international buyers. They shouldn't even see it. But I had an item sell and when I looked at location it says china with an address in germany.
Are you absolutely sure you have it set to exclude international buyers? My understanding is there are at least 2 places: specifically exclude shipping locations under seller shipping settings, and then in buyer management, you block buyers with a shipping address that matches one you excluded.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought I did. In the old days it was simple. I spoke to customer support. They suggested I contact the seller . I sent a msg explaining what was going on and that if he still wanted it bad enough to pay $55 shipping Id send it. I asked him to cancel the sale otherwise. If he doesn't I will. I shoulda asked if he had a domestic address I could ship to but forgot.

Im just hoping to not get a feedback ding from him. Our account is spotless in 18 years. Id really mentally feel awful for that. My wife and me worked hard for this account.

Ill look at that Mercari. Ive never heard of it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I get up this morning to see the buyer paid without contacting me back and only paid the small ship fee. Just in case i click print shipping label to look and sure enough they have a ship to in Oregon. So all it good. But freaked me out for a min.

But yet my funds are STILL on hold. I hear it can be buggy so gonna talk to support yet again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You know I was worried about negative feedback but I dont even think you can do that anymore on Ebay. I see now stars to check now..just a POSITIVE button to click and a spot to add a comment...no negative button or anything. ebay seems crappier.