[Star Wars] Andor

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JCC

[Star Wars] Andor

Post by JCC »

So, the three first episodes dropped today. I had time to check out the first one at lunch. I can see why they wanted more than one out to start with. Aside from the earliest scene, it's pretty slow. Also, not really clear on everything going on at this point (in present and past). It does look and sound great - no surprise there.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
msteelers

Re: [Star Wars] Andor

Post by msteelers »

There are too many shows going on for us to start this. But once one of our current shows ends we’ll likely take this one up next.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

and/or what?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Granted, I’m only 1 episode in, but this is the kind of Star Wars show I’ve wanted for a while. At least so far.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I watched the first 3 episodes. I highly recommend trying to watch them all. Awesome start.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I feel like the tone and setting of this is nearly the complete opposite of all the new Star Wars content except for... you know, Rogue One; and it was, of course, written by the same guy. It's jarring. I think this is the sort of new Star Wars content many of us wanted when they started to branch out. And there may be enough clues this is Star Wars (and I'm sure they will increase in future episodes), but compared to the other shows the references are like a chive garnish rather than a whole fucking onion.

This show (at least for the introductory episodes) does a lot to answer the question of what it was like to be pleb in Star Wars. Andor revels in the mundane grit and grime that almost starts to make the world seem unmagical. I find myself wondering whether it's too far in the other direction. The non-flashback scenes feel more like Blade Runner: 2049 than Star Wars. (Not a complaint.) It makes The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi feel like cartoons or video games in comparison. (And hey, sometimes that's what you're in the mood for.) I'm sure there are still plenty of visual effects going on, but the decision to favour practical sets really makes a difference too. Again in that it almost feels too real in contrast to the past 25 years of the franchise.

I sincerely hope this series never sees a lightsaber.
Spoiler:
And the nefarious not-quite-Imperials corporation and workers' uprising stuff is just fantastic. It reminds me of Red Faction and Total Recall and probably much better stuff. I hope the impetuous young officer and his fascist sergeant continue on and grow and aren't just throwaway characters who disappear now that we're going off-planet.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have to wait until I have some time to watch this with my 10yo son. We don't get too much time to watch something that only we want to watch with TV time being so limited and my other kids not giving a damn about it.

We were both really let down with Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi. This, however, looks fantastic and I'll gladly put up with a slow burn show if done well.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My only gripe is that it moves so slow. Like maybe they could have cut the 8th or 9th person to ask Cassian "What did you do??"
Black Lives Matter.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Rogue One was the embodiment of what my brothers and I always hoped for in expansion of the Star Wars franchise. It was just beautifully done.

Andor being written by the same guy makes this a must watch for us. I'm waiting until this weekend to watch with the wife.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:00 pm I feel like the tone and setting of this is nearly the complete opposite of all the new Star Wars content except for... you know, Rogue One;
Probably why I like it so much. Mandalorian is still good, but even that one sometimes veers too close to cloyingly saccharine sweetness.

And Boba Fett? I wrote that show off after the Cyber Newsies zoomed into town on their neon colored vespas. "Hey', let's turn one of the most feared bounty hunters in the galaxy into a fire sale Mandalorian who seems to hate violence now!" I have doubts another season can redeem that one for me.

Andor seems willing to give us an adult view of what living under the tyranny of the Empire would be like. As long as they don't introduce cuddly cute side kicks, I'm all in.

Oh, and no jedis so far! Jedis are dicks.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The whole setting and focus of Andor would make for a great open world game set in the Star Wars universe. I enjoy using the Force and swinging a light saber in a game as much as the next geek but taking on questionable jobs for the Rebellion, outwitting Imperial forces using spycraft or blasters, no pseudo-mystic storyline about Sith or the Force but just fighting against the Imperial jackboots would be quite fun for me!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, that diorama they had made at the little camp was just outrageously awesome for their situation. A bit of a break from the suspension of disbelief for me.

Just saying.

I realize they couldn't have a hologram there... but that was crazy detailed... I'd have believed a hologram projector more I think.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And while I'm here - I just wanna say I think I may be loving this.

If this isn't the "I want a new Star Wars series that writes it's own story" - this, so far it would seem, is doing exactly that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:22 am The whole setting and focus of Andor would make for a great open world game set in the Star Wars universe. I enjoy using the Force and swinging a light saber in a game as much as the next geek but taking on questionable jobs for the Rebellion, outwitting Imperial forces using spycraft or blasters, no pseudo-mystic storyline about Sith or the Force but just fighting against the Imperial jackboots would be quite fun for me!
Sounds like a PC game where they mix Thief with NOLF and some Uncharted.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Episode 2 features Sgt. Kostek as played by Alex Ferns. And I know it’s sacrilege to be thinking about Star Trek while watching Star Wars; but folks, I think we’ve found the perfect Chief Engineer Scotty.

Still absolutely loving this show. Adding Stellen Skarsgard to anything immediately makes it even better.

Edit: episode 3? One of the best episodes of all the Star Wars shows so far. Just fantastic.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

So... Andor is really good... but it's a bit slow. At this point, I would complain it's a bit too much table setting, and not enough sitting down to eat.

I think this show is suffering from the weekly release schedule more than the other Disney + shows I have watched. If I could plow through this on Netflix, I am sure I wouldn't mind the fact that there's only been one real action episode so far.
Black Lives Matter

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I love that the bad guys are corporate go getters and not evil madmen. It's a very refreshing change. And that cast: Diego Luna, Stellan Skarsgard, Fiona Shaw, Alex Ferns. Yes!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love a good heist show/movie and this is what I’m getting with Andor. But heist shows/films are 80 percent planning, 20 percent execution. I feel they’re getting the formula right. Which is fine by me. It really is a gem so far. :wub:
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, today's episode was just awesome! I really wish they released these as four 90 minute movies, but whatever. Hopefully the next two trilogies are a bit more fun in the first 2 episodes. Either way, the show is excellent.
Black Lives Matter

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We have been watching this and loving it. People keep calling it slow but what is wrong with taking the time to develop some characters and plot. And the world is like a real by place, not the same desert locale.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just keeps getting better and better. I also appreciate that they’re sticking with the Star Wars conceit that nav computers are basically Atari 2600s.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

And, we are back to setting things up again. Not much (any) action, but plenty of drama. Pretty ironic ending to the episode. Fun to see Ben Miles in this.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m just gonna call it now. This is the single best Star Wars show Disney plus has ever made. Hell, it’s better than most of the movies.

Star Wars has, in way too many instances, relied on nostalgia or gimmicks, and forgotten that any good show starts with a good story. Andor hasn’t though.

If they make it to the end without Jedis, that’s even better.

Jedis are dicks.

Side note: this has nothing to do with Andor as it has been established since the beginning of the franchise, but robots on this show confuse me. More specifically, how they’re treated. If you close your eyes and pretend they’re not robots, it’s disturbing. The franchise has a slave race…and it seems fine with that.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:06 pm Jedis are dicks.
You thought light sabers were a metaphor for something else?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:06 pm I’m just gonna call it now. This is the single best Star Wars show Disney plus has ever made. Hell, it’s better than most of the movies.

Star Wars has, in way too many instances, relied on nostalgia or gimmicks, and forgotten that any good show starts with a good story. Andor hasn’t though.

If they make it to the end without Jedis, that’s even better.

Jedis are dicks.

Side note: this has nothing to do with Andor as it has been established since the beginning of the franchise, but robots on this show confuse me. More specifically, how they’re treated. If you close your eyes and pretend they’re not robots, it’s disturbing. The franchise has a slave race…and it seems fine with that.
It's kind of incredible how the franchise is still going after all of the terrible Star Wars that they've made over the years, really. But yeah - Andor is great. I think it's only real rival is The Mandalorian (especially season 1).

And yeah, the whole droid situation is weird. You figure some Star Wars show is going to handle it at some point, but then I'm sure that there will immediately be a bunch of "ke3p WOKE POLITCiCs OUT of my Star WARS!!1!!!" posts.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love Mandalorian...but the force stuff kind of dropped it in my ratings a bit. That aspect of the Star Wars franchise has been done to death and I had hoped Mandalorian would avoid going down that road. Andor so far has. Andor could be set anywhere and it would still be a good show. That's the sign of a strong story.

p.s. that final scene in the last episode of our favorite hen pecked son sitting in quiet frustration in his cubicle amidst a hundred similar cubicles was absolutely fantastic.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Diego Luna is just great at making us understand what’s happening internally during long stretches of silence. See episode 8 for proof of this. There are minutes that go by without a word being spoken by the man, but you know at all times what he’s thinking.

I read yet another rave review for Andor that summed up quite succinctly something I’ve been thinking. This is the first time I’ve actually viewed the Empire as a truly fascist government. I’m not talking 2 dimensional mustache twirling evil. I mean humanity buried under the crushing weight of a bureaucracy designed to quell all dissent.

Also, is it just me, or did episode 8 seem to be an homage to THX 1138 by George Lucas? It even had 70s style synth music.
Covfefe!
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

Absolutely loving this series so far. I really enjoy that it feels like the story is taking it's time going, and showing, what it needs to.

So often with modern series that I watch (i.e. Marvel, SW, etc), things feel...rushed. Many times it feels like you jump from major plot point to major plot point...with little time to catch your breath, actually watch the characters, or appreciate the world(s) that are the setting. Andor feels like it gets that balance so very right to me. It takes it's time establishing locations, people, and c

As you note hepcat - the malevolent feeling of a fascist government really comes through. The show isn't about the Emperor/Vader/etc as the movies were focused on, but the machinations of a government working in increments, to slowly, but effectively, suppress and oppress.

I also love that I don't know what exactly is going to happen, story wise. You can see the pieces moving about the table, but how the overall picture will come together, I'm not sure. Given the peak of Ep6 was *so* good in bringing the first arc to a close, I have high hopes for the rest of the season.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm loving this series and echo the real creeping horror they're instilling. I also think they might be cribbing off some historical rebellions. It'd be a dream to chat with the writers to see if some of it is an accident or not.

For instance, the heist is extremely similar in a way to a payroll robbery Josef Stalin claimed to be responsible for. That ended up both being a debacle for the internal security people but also was the main source of initial funding for the anti-Romanov rebellion. It also strikes me that Stalin was imprisoned a few times and it had nothing to do with his revolutionary activities. He just got caught up in criminal capers. It might be a coincidence but it'd be fun if there was some allegory in there.

The interaction between Luthen Rael and Mon Mothma is really well thought out if you've read books about insurgencies. Insurgencies are often made up of different factions with different willingness to act. Her reluctance to take risks and having her hand forced by the hawks in the coalition is very true to accounts I've read.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Early on in that episode, as we were looking at Former Deputy Flunky sitting at his desk in his office, I was really hoping that his plotline wasn't going to connect to everything else, and that we'd just have this ongoing Imperial Office subplot.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: And every time they show him at his desk, you just hear the sad trombone sound before it cuts back to the real story.
Jiffy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:15 am
As you note hepcat - the malevolent feeling of a fascist government really comes through. The show isn't about the Emperor/Vader/etc as the movies were focused on, but the machinations of a government working in increments, to slowly, but effectively, suppress and oppress.

In almost all the other Star Wars entries, we've viewed their universe through the eyes of gods and heroes. Now we're getting a look at the real horror of such a regime through the eyes of its real victims.

Past Star Wars has appealed first and foremost to the kid in us. Andor talks to the adult.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I dove into Andor over the weekend, and it has a been a delightful surprise. I wasn't expecting much going in. I had absolutely no desire to learn more about Caspian Andor, despite enjoying Rogue One quite a bit, and have found the Star Wars TV shows less than inspiring (OK, Mandalorian was mostly pretty great).

But this... this has actually good writing. And really great acting. And excellent world-building, fleshing out the Imperial bureaucracy in multiple dimensions.

I had almost written off Star Wars as completely lost to the Dark Side of nostalgia wankery. But maybe there are some fresh stories to be told.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The only thing that Andor is badly lacking is teen multi-colored vespa newsy gangs.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hey gang, let's put on a musical! That will show the Empire!

Star Wars has taught me two things over the last couple of years:

Jedis are dicks

Cyber Newsies suck.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, mild, not plot specific spoiler coming.
Spoiler:
The every 3rd episode being the action packed one streak is over. Temper your expectations. The episode is still great.
I am still not sure if I think this is my favorite Star Wars show, but it is certainly fantastic.
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

TIL that ISB agent Dedra Meero, is played by Denise Gough, who voiced Yennefer in The Witcher III: Wild Hunt.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:33 pm TIL that ISB agent Dedra Meero, is played by Denise Gough, who voiced Yennefer in The Witcher III: Wild Hunt.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Neat - I did not know that.

I also take that as validation for being #TeamTriss. I'm sure Triss's voice actress would be siding with the rebellion.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jesus…

Spoiler:
The screams of dying children as a torture device? Man, this show gets dark.
JCC wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:54 pm So, mild, not plot specific spoiler coming.
Spoiler:
The every 3rd episode being the action packed one streak is over. Temper your expectations. The episode is still great.
I am still not sure if I think this is my favorite Star Wars show, but it is certainly fantastic.
Andor isn’t a constant stream of explosions and gunfights. That’s not what it’s supposed to be, nor would I want it to be. The best parts of this show are those quiet moments when we see how oppressive the Empire is, how the schemes and back alley deals are made, and the growth of characters who are slowly being pushed to act (for either side) in spite of their oftentimes reluctance to do so. This is an intelligent, mature Star Wars. I don’t want it to be anything else.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I suppose it's a spoiler:
Spoiler:
The whole creepiness of Syril toward Meero there was not something I was expecting to see. It may be the one part of this story I don't really feel like putting up with. Their mutual admiration or attraction at some point may be expected. Or even a deep divide (as maybe hinted at, but totally not clear) between the two of them would also have been something to develop... But his specific declaration of worshipping at her was just a notch above what I expected from the story at this point. It forced me to drastically reconsider my understanding of him. I'm enjoying everything so much, so far, that I'm willing to chill out on this and see where they take this.

I had entertained the possibility of Syril eventually being a good guy because of his heightened focus on the death of those two men at the start of the series... but I think that was foolish of me.
Man, I'm (also) just sooo loving this series, and as you say Hepcat - it's entirely independent of gunfights/dogfights and explosions - it's all the story - the tension - and I love it.

In this latest episode, the best line was artfully delivered as the final line - where Serkis/Kino Loy just says
Spoiler:
"Never more than 12" --- and all that the answer implies.