[Star Wars] Andor

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Star Wars] Andor

Post by hepcat »

Syril is the wild card I can’t understand….yet. He might be just a creepy stalker, a brow beaten son, a slightly mad zealot, or he might be the most clever person around him. I love that I can’t be sure. But I have a feeling he’s going to be an integral part of this tale.

P.S. Syril’s mother deserves a spin off. Make her the landlord of an apartment complex. She would be like Mr. Roper on Three’s Company.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Syril never once struck me as a good guy. Beholden to the cause, stubborn, in over his head, sure. Good? No.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, I don’t think he’s good either, but I don’t think he’s evil. He’s obsessed with order. He thinks he’s the good guy in this story though.

But I still can’t be sure what his end game is yet. I don’t see him joining the cause. But I do see him pulling something to get back in the graces of those in power in the Empire. Barring that, I could see him just pursuing his idealistic view of what constitutes law and order outside the Empire.

….or hell, he might have a come to Jesus moment at some point and surprise the crap out of us.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:36 pm Syril never once struck me as a good guy. Beholden to the cause, stubborn, in over his head, sure. Good? No.
First, clearly his name reveals that he’s going to be evil…

But to defend my statement, I’ll just say that I wasn’t sure if they were going to work the angle that he was a stickler for justice and I pondered if his story arch would eventually find fault with the Empire. I was being naive.

Perhaps. We’ll see.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yes. His mother is a total gem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

JCC wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:54 pm I am still not sure if I think this is my favorite Star Wars show, but it is certainly fantastic.
I think it's mine.

For me, the core Star Wars experience might run Andor--RogueOne--EpIV. I care so much more about the Rebellion than about Jedi metaphysics.

In 1977 I went to see Star Wars with my Dad on opening day. This was the shot that made me fall in love:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Definitely has risen to the top for me. I would still say A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are my favorites, then Andor. But that’s the 10 year old in me that saw those in the theater and was just in awe of it all. The adult me truly believes Andor is the better written and acted show, but he’s terrified of 10 year old me. That friggin’ kid is scary.

But it’s definitely the best of the serialized shows, animated or live action. In my opinion, of course.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Mandalorian was great in my opinion, but very different in style and tone than this.

This is on a different level. Much deeper, much more nuanced.

Kenobi is to Andor what Book of Boba Fett is to The Mandalorian.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn’t think Kenobi was that bad. Boba Fett was just awful. Kenobi at least had some character depth with Kenobi struggling with his role in a post Jedi galaxy. It wasn’t great, mind you. But at least there were no Cyber Newsies.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Pretty awesome episode today!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Holman

Post by Holman »

JCC wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:00 pm Pretty awesome episode today!
Absolutely. I not usually the type to make cheering noises when I watch something, but, well, maybe I did.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm still catching up (I'm on Ep7), but this show has been *fantastic*. Definitely my second favorite from the Star Wars group, though I'm having a hard time justifying it not being #1 simply because of the tone and lack of muppets. I don't know if they're working with canon characters (other than a specific Senator and Emperor) or events, but the writing and what they've set up is so damn good.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Andor is The Wire of Star Wars.
Spoiler:
Think I’m kidding? See Andy Serkis’s speech during the prison break, and Stellan Skarsgård‘s speech at the end of the latest episode. Friggin’ powerful.

Episode 10 is their Emmy episode.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Andor remains excellent. There is one extremely cool sequence. Curious as to what will happen in the season finale next week.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

next week is the season finale!?!?!?

say it ain't so, JCC!
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:04 pm next week is the season finale!?!?!?

say it ain't so, JCC!
It be so, I am afraid. The good news is they are or are about to begin filiming for season 2. I believe we are only getting 2 seasons.
Black Lives Matter

naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm going to have to rewatch the last episode. Ethan was a disaster last night in terms of behaviour and I was too stressed to pay attention after he was in bed. I don't know why
Spoiler:
Casian was captured by the squid guys and then released, and missed some other parts, I'm horrible with character names so I won't even try to describe the other parts :P )
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Andor is the only Star Wars show that I have to pay complete attention to. If I'm reading something on my iPad while watching this, I often have to remind myself to stop and then rewind to catch what I missed when I realize that the story has moved forward without me.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:39 pm Andor is the only Star Wars show that I have to pay complete attention to. If I'm reading something on my iPad while watching this, I often have to remind myself to stop and then rewind to catch what I missed when I realize that the story has moved forward without me.
And then you're like, "Ohh Shit, the sink!!!"

:D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

JCC wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:04 pm There is one extremely cool sequence.
I'm sure you and I are thinking of the same sequence, and oh man that was just so good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:39 pm Andor is the only Star Wars show that I have to pay complete attention to. If I'm reading something on my iPad while watching this, I often have to remind myself to stop and then rewind to catch what I missed when I realize that the story has moved forward without me.
And then you're like, "Ohh Shit, the sink!!!"

:D
That’s just senility.

P.S. I did it again a couple of weeks ago. :oops:
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I'll keep it short and sweet: The Andor finale does not disappoint.

Amazing show. The wait for season 2 will be painful...

PS - There is a post credits scene.
Black Lives Matter

Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

Superb season.

It felt like a well planned, written, acted and directed season from start to finish too. A complete package all round. I like where it ended, such that I look forward to next season but this still told a complete story.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Boy, this show was great. Can't wait for season 2.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So...uh...for some reason didn't realize there were 12 episodes this season and completely overlooked the actual season finale. :oops:

Gotta watch that today!
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Great show and I can’t wait for season 2.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

…and done.

Absolutely stellar. Up until now the rebellion has been the driving force of Star Wars….but it was a minor character at best. Andor has fixed that…and then some.

Edit: one review I read brought up something I had all but forgotten. Cassian’s search for his sister seems to have all but disappeared as a point of interest. I’m guessing the way things are going, there’s just no room for it in the story. But I’m still curious as to what is going on there.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Even better, I had no idea there were more than 10 episodes. After the A++ monologues delivered in Ep10, I figured, that was the end of S1. Imagine my surprise to learn there were two (!) more episodes.

Again, I'm a casual fan but this feels like the best Star Wars stuff I've ever seen - which is something considering the complete lack of core Stare Wars elements (like hokey religions and ancient weapons). I hope this show wins all the awards, because it deserves them.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I love how subtle the show is in its references (which is really the opposite of the in-your-face fan service we're used to).

For example:
Spoiler:
In the episode 11 scene just after Andor learns about Maarva's death, we get a shot of him on the beach as the camera looks out past him over the ocean towards the sun breaking through clouds. It's a recreation of his (future) death-scene with Jyn Erso in Rogue One.

I don't have a good memory for music, but I wonder if that might be similar there too.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I was just struck with some visual memories and now I'm wondering if Andor is explicitly inspired by and referencing 1966's The Battle of Algiers.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Also, this:
Spoiler:
I can't decide how I feel about the fact that the young bomb-maker is the only clearly Middle Eastern actor in the cast.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So much to unpack. I wanted to say that the look and feel of the show was so much different, but couldn't actually communicate what it was that was giving me that impression. I think this spoiler free video explains it perfectly.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:33 pm TIL that ISB agent Dedra Meero, is played by Denise Gough, who voiced Yennefer in The Witcher III: Wild Hunt.
Gough also does one of the British soldier voices in XCOM 2.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

A little late to the party, and only 6 episodes in... if you factor out nostalgia, this show may be the best Star Wars has ever been on screen. Top 3 for sure.

One question regarding the episode about the The EYE episode (that I highly doubt will get answered);
Spoiler:
How were they ever going to pull this off without Cassian? They didn't have enough men to form a full squad, unless one of the women was going to be the 4th. Which could have been the case I suppose, but all of the other garrison squads shown were all men. Seems like that would have stood out.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

..and after Episode 7, this is going to be added to the playlist for awhile. (non spoiler, just music)

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Archinerd wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:33 am this show may be the best Star Wars has ever been on screen. Top 3 for sure.
Completely agree.

It prompted me to re-watch Rogue One again for the millionth time. And I was sad...again (maybe moreso after watching Andor). :D

I think my ONLY slight nit to pick with Andor was:
Spoiler:
I didn't really buy the extent that Luthen and co. went after Andor...all those human resources spent, etc. It seemed a LITTLE far-fetched, but of course was totally necessary to tie the story arc together, and of course made the VERY end (which I think we could all see coming a mile away) better.
Holman

Post by Holman »

OK, here's my theory:

The entire Star Wars saga splits into two universes (Schrodinger-wise) when George Lucas edits the Mos Eisley cantina scene in 1997.

The prequel and sequel trilogies are set in a universe where Greedo shot first.

Andor and Rogue One are where Han shoots first.

(The question is where the other various releases land: Solo, the Clone Wars, the Mandalorian, etc.)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:57 pm OK, here's my theory:

The entire Star Wars saga splits into two universes (Schrodinger-wise) when George Lucas edits the Mos Eisley cantina scene in 1997.

The prequel and sequel trilogies are set in a universe where Greedo shot first.

Andor and Rogue One are where Han shoots first.
That sounds right to me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In my opinion, there are two Star Wars universes:

One with goofy muppets, the other without.

Also, Jedis are dicks. Keep them with the muppets.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:45 pm
I think my ONLY slight nit to pick with Andor was:
Spoiler:
I didn't really buy the extent that Luthen and co. went after Andor...all those human resources spent, etc. It seemed a LITTLE far-fetched, but of course was totally necessary to tie the story arc together, and of course made the VERY end (which I think we could all see coming a mile away) better.
Spoiler:
I suspect that either there is a story behind Luthen’s obsession with Andor that we’re not privy to yet, or Luthen fully intended to kill Andor after the job. When Andor went “rogue”, Luthen was caught off guard and it drove his search as he was afraid Andor would give him up if caught.
He won. Period.