Solium Infernum lives!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Solium Infernum lives!

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:36 pm How the hell is Belial getting all that prestige? Are you all rolling over at his feet?
Good point! Everyone should team up on him. He just completed two schemes, so he got a big prestige bump from him.

Also I messed up in poorly timing a demand on him (plus he got a "legion promotion" event at the same time) so I punked out on my demand.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I should probably look up how this scheme thing works.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:43 pm I should probably look up how this scheme thing works.
So in the sanctum on the right side you'll see a button that says "plot". If you put a plot order in then next turn you get to pick a scheme. The types of schemes (and the number of schemes that you have active) is dependent on your archfiend's stats. You can also choose whether to have the scheme be private or public. If it's private then no one knows what you're trying to do, but you get a greater prestige award for public schemes.

The schemes are things like "cast 5 successful destruction rituals" or "win 3 vendettas where you take cantons", and the like.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:10 am I am offended that you all voted the infestation into my territory.
Not me! I voted for my dearest frenemy AWS.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:40 pm
Zarathud wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:36 pm How the hell is Belial getting all that prestige? Are you all rolling over at his feet?
Good point! Everyone should team up on him. He just completed two schemes, so he got a big prestige bump from him.

Also I messed up in poorly timing a demand on him (plus he got a "legion promotion" event at the same time) so I punked out on my demand.
Hey my prestige is all gone now... (shines his new ducal crown).

I mean, who would have thought the LORD OF LIES would take a strategy based on schemes. :think: That said - I have been declaring them publicly, so I don't know how that is broadcast to you all.

From a mechanical standpoint, you get access to "grand schemes" once you hit certain power thresholds in your powers. I don't think I have seen any yet in our game, but they tend to be pretty difficult and have higher rewards. They also pigeonhole you into a certain track - so that is why I don't have many cantons compared to others.

Now we are all screwed with the coming of this angel. So that's going to be fun.

When this is all over, I have some meta thoughts.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Baelthazar around the house today

He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:46 am

I mean, who would have thought the LORD OF LIES would take a strategy based on schemes. :think: That said - I have been declaring them publicly, so I don't know how that is broadcast to you all.

From a mechanical standpoint, you get access to "grand schemes" once you hit certain power thresholds in your powers. I don't think I have seen any yet in our game, but they tend to be pretty difficult and have higher rewards. They also pigeonhole you into a certain track - so that is why I don't have many cantons compared to others.

Now we are all screwed with the coming of this angel. So that's going to be fun.

IIRC the game provides a notice when someone is scheming (at least publicly). I assume that public schemes are visible when you look at someone's "domain", but I should check that.

Also I'm annoyed that this angel only shows up once I have a decent legion. Hopefully I can manage to throw some cannonfodder in the path of the angel.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote:

IIRC the game provides a notice when someone is scheming (at least publicly). I assume that public schemes are visible when you look at someone's "domain", but I should check that.

Also I'm annoyed that this angel only shows up once I have a decent legion. Hopefully I can manage to throw some cannonfodder in the path of the angel.
He is either after your Legion or mine. Mine is level four so I think mine.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

We can kill that angel if we work together! If you guys can soften it up a bit by the time it gets over to me I'll be able to kill it.
Meanwhile, I've declared a Vendetta against my dear frenemy AWS... but he did it to me first!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:31 pm
El Guapo wrote:

He is either after your Legion or mine. Mine is level four so I think mine.
My legion is also level 4. Not sure who the angel will go for first. But not sure it matters, as apparently the angel goes after the strongest legion of each player one by one, so unless you can boost your legion quickly I'm not sure it matters which order the angel goes in. Also unfortunately since it's the strongest legion of each player my cannonfodder idea isn't going to work. Super annoying since I really like my legion. Oh well.

Also I confirmed that you can see a player's active public schemes by looking at their domain (in the upper right corner). Doing the "three rituals in one turn" scheme again I see.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Not to telescope my strategy, but I'm not sure why one wouldn't always have at least one scheme going since they basically are "bonus points" for doing things you intend to do.

At least my legion is my starter legion which will reform after a bit. That said, I don't know if they lose stats when they reform, which will be a bummer.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wow, those Angels are very powerful. I'm glad I'm nowhere near their righteous fury -- for a few turns, at least.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Well that Angel is NOT getting softened up. It is quite a menace. I wonder what would happen if you killed it!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I blame belial for angering Heaven with his deceit. I remember the angels being beatable in the last version — these are terrifyingly strong.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:23 am I blame belial for angering Heaven with his deceit. I remember the angels being beatable in the last version — these are terrifyingly strong.
#BlameBelial

You could do it with the right legion / praetor / artifact combo. They have zero infernal, so you'd probably need something like an infernal heavy legion combined with stuff that puts infernal first and/or blocks ranged or melee. Or a Titan legion might be able to do it. I assume if you kill it then you get a big prestige boost.

For now the angel killed my 'chosen' legion, which is surprising since that was of lower rank than my hired legion. I know the Leviathan (which targets PoPs) will kill the occasional legion that's in its path, so possible that the angel will still go after my other legion, but he stopped after killing my chosen legion so I'm cautiously optimistic that I may be spared from further damage. Though that would still mean that I wasted a couple orders moving my artifact of war out of harm's way.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I could survive (not win) with the right legion placement — except the Angels are assholes who ignore terrain effects.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Current status; My Vendetta was cancelled due to hellish bureaucracy, and there is still an angel on a murderous rampage. ...so, typical Wednesday.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:I blame belial for angering Heaven with his deceit. I remember the angels being beatable in the last version — these are terrifyingly strong.
It did go after me first.

Events vacillate from being “meh” to “well that changed the entire game.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

All things considered that angel event worked out fairly well for me. I messed up my orders a bit, but otherwise was mildly helpful. 10/10 would get smote again.

Also one downside of a public scheme is that it looks like it does tell everyone where you are on that scheme, which reveals information about you.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

And hey, the angel destroyed Erzebet's chosen legion right as I rejected her demand. Such a helpful angel.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:02 am And hey, the angel destroyed Erzebet's chosen legion right as I rejected her demand. Such a helpful angel.
Maybe this means we'll finally see some praetor combat!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:08 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:02 am And hey, the angel destroyed Erzebet's chosen legion right as I rejected her demand. Such a helpful angel.
Maybe this means we'll finally see some praetor combat!
The ball is in her court!

Also, has everyone been attacked by the Angel now? I assume that they're going to depart imminently?
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am Also, has everyone been attacked by the Angel now? I assume that they're going to depart imminently?
I think it said "at least one legion each..."

Not sure if it is the PBEM style of the the game, but I feel like my mental plans are not matching exactly what I am doing in the game. Right now I am just beginning to grok the actions I need to take to get closer to doing the things I need to do. Anyone else feel that?

But I am loving every minute! The dopamine hit I get when I see a turn is ready is real.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:00 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am Also, has everyone been attacked by the Angel now? I assume that they're going to depart imminently?
I think it said "at least one legion each..."

Not sure if it is the PBEM style of the the game, but I feel like my mental plans are not matching exactly what I am doing in the game. Right now I am just beginning to grok the actions I need to take to get closer to doing the things I need to do. Anyone else feel that?

But I am loving every minute! The dopamine hit I get when I see a turn is ready is real.
I think the "at least" is because the angel may kill other legions that get in the way when it is pathfinding.

But yes. I mean I have plans, but they're not all super detailed or planned out, so it tilts on the "winging it" side. And yes, love the turn notification (and hate when I check and there's no new turn :(). Also on that - is there no way to set it up to e-mail you when there's a new turn? I have Steam notifications set up, but if I'm not using my computer when the steam notification is sent it doesn't do me a ton of good.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I don't think there's an email notification option. I get notifications from the Steam app on my phone.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

These next few turns should be interesting. Won my first duel of the game, with #2 and #3 coming up. This next one is more of a coinflip given the praetors involved, so fingers crossed there. And other drama as well...
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Praetor duels are not well documented. I found this helpful:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well Expose Treason is certainly paying for itself in my vendetta with Belial, especially since I get a prestige boost every time I resist his deceit rituals.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Solium Infernum lives!

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote:Well Expose Treason is certainly paying for itself in my vendetta with Belial, especially since I get a prestige boost every time I resist his deceit rituals.
Oof, I haven’t checked the results of my actions but I guess it doesn’t bode well.

What’s hurting me is my reforming legion hasn’t retuned. Am I supposed to do something?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

What’s hurting me is my reforming legion hasn’t returned. Am I supposed to do something?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:12 am
El Guapo wrote:Well Expose Treason is certainly paying for itself in my vendetta with Belial, especially since I get a prestige boost every time I resist his deceit rituals.
Oof, I haven’t checked the results of my actions but I guess it doesn’t bode well.

What’s hurting me is my reforming legion hasn’t retuned. Am I supposed to do something?
It's back, as you have now seen. I believe that I read that one's personal legion reforms in a number of turns equal to two times their current level. Hence my chosen legion came back first, since it's rocking a strong level 2 rank.

BTW any idea what the success odds on those rituals were? The Encyclopaedia in the game doesn't seem to explain how the odds are calculated. I *think* it's based on caster deceit level vs. level of the target legion, and I believe Expose Treason gave me a +2 bonus. So with my target legion being level 4 (effectively level 6 with the bonus) if your deceit is less than 6 than I think the odds were in my favor. But still, either of those rituals goes your way that could've been a major major problem for me.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also the angel is back. Hasn't that guy done enough harm?? Aren't they supposed to turn the other cheek or something?
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The whole casting thing is a bit of a mystery. On my side the scrying bowl said “an unreliable report that success is likely” for the false orders one. But I would not have known that you had that spell on.

There has to be an RNG element to it as well.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:47 am Also the angel is back. Hasn't that guy done enough harm?? Aren't they supposed to turn the other cheek or something?
Somebody must have forgotten to lock the door after it left. My personal legion should be able to reform just in time to be killed again.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:41 am The whole casting thing is a bit of a mystery. On my side the scrying bowl said “an unreliable report that success is likely” for the false orders one. But I would not have known that you had that spell on.

There has to be an RNG element to it as well.
I'm also not 100% sure that the defense is driven by the (legion) target level, as opposed to my deceit or other attribute. You'd think the encyclopaedia would cover that (seems fairly basic), but...no. I also find it difficult to google stuff about this game, due a mix of there not being that many players (I think) and that I also have to differentiate between hits on this game vs. the 2014 version.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I do not like this angelic incursion as much as the last one.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Seriously, who keeps inviting those angels back? The whole reason we're down here is because they kicked our asses an eternity ago.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

AWS260 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:46 pm Seriously, who keeps inviting those angels back? The whole reason we're down here is because they kicked our asses an eternity ago.
They keep starting near Belial's sanctuary, so I think he keeps leaving the backdoor open.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

AWS260 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:46 pm Seriously, who keeps inviting those angels back? The whole reason we're down here is because they kicked our asses an eternity ago.
I didn't summon the first one... but the second one might have accomplished exactly the goal I wanted.

That said, Lilith really bloodied my nose. That was a devastating hit.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Lilith smells like old pillows.