College Fair

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

College Fair

Post by stessier »

I am taking my daughter to a college fair and don't really know how I should approach this. She is a junior and doesn't have any idea of what she wants to do in the future. She's on track to graduate with a Associates in Arts when she finishes high school that should transfer to any 4 year state college. Leaving aside for the moment the economics of her different options, has anyone been through this and can give guidance on questions to ask or things to look for? There will be over 150 different colleges and universities represented according to the flyer.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Re: College Fair

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:44 pm I am taking my daughter to a college fair and don't really know how I should approach this. She is a junior and doesn't have any idea of what she wants to do in the future. She's on track to graduate with a Associates in Arts when she finishes high school that should transfer to any 4 year state college. Leaving aside for the moment the economics of her different options, has anyone been through this and can give guidance on questions to ask or things to look for? There will be over 150 different colleges and universities represented according to the flyer.
I'm surprised at what you say about an A.A. degree, since both state and private universities are generally not interested in giving free credit. (It's getting harder and harder for even AP high-school classes to count for anything beyond the application stage.) Nearly all undergraduate programs expect you to put in the full credits for their B.A. or B.S., and prior experience qualifies you to skip to higher-level programs but not to avoid putting in (and paying for) the credit hours.

But a B.A./B.S. goes a long way, so I think the thing is for you and your daughter to figure out where she can study something interesting and come out with a fully adult sense of how it matters in the world. As a college teacher, I think gaining perspective on this is far more important than just getting high grades or minimally qualifying for a degree. The important thing is to be someone who, four years later, can explain what they've learned, what they would like to do with it, and how it matters.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would look for schools where she can be known to teachers. College should be a place to learn skills and get advice.

The best value of my Chicago Jesuit University was the connections and opportunities from getting to know the faculty. My sister’s school had a great network into certain advertising agencies. She didn’t use it directly to get started, but it helped once she got experience the hard way.

If your kid finds something engaging and interesting, and the school supports and builds skills from it, that’s a key to getting hired in what they want. If your kid can explain how that makes sense for the work.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

I plugged her info into my personal decision-making program:

~18 years old + Associates Degree + Not knowing or sure what to major in + current cost of college = Gap year

I'd be curious if any university suggests this option.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Informational interviews with people working in her short list of interests.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

My daughter is a high school senior and is just now seriously starting to weigh her college options. My son just started his freshman year at Cal-Polytechnic (SLO) studying mechanical engineering.

Just as we did with my son and are currently trying to get our daughter to do, I’d recommend making a spreadsheet or just a list of prospects along with important factors. Those are going to depend on what your daughter wants, but I’d start with something like:
- Selectivity (I.e., acceptance rate)
- Total cost (tuition + room/board)
- Setting (I.e., urban, suburban, isolated)
- Nearest airport
- Nearest significant city
- Number of students
- Number of undergrad students
- Undergrad student/faculty ratio
- Avg. undergrad class size
- Presence of any majors/minors/concentrations she is particularly interested in
- % of students in Greek life
- % of students living on campus
- % of first years living on campus (also, any requirement that freshmen live on campus)
- Mascot, because . . . It matters, because who wants to be an “Ant Eater” or a “Banana Slug” (apologies to U.C. Irvine and Santa Cruz)

Good luck, and let us know where she’s interested in.

It’s early, but if I had to lay money on it, my daughter is likely going to end up at University of Washington or University of Wisconsin (Madison), but we’ll see.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

First, address the fact that "college fair" is an oxymoron.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the comments!

I've talked to her a bit more and we've settled on 4 areas of interest for now - psychology, animation, creative writing, and computer programming. She's only a junior, so she still has time to thing about this some more. In the mean time, it can help to narrow our focus at least a little bit. In terms of the AA degree, she's getting it from a dual enrollment in the local community college and the credits will definitely transfer in state. Some digging looks like the should transfer to NC, GA, and TN as well (schools have online portals that show which AA classes allow you to skip which 4-year classes) . In all cases, just how far along she can skip depends on what she intends to study. For example, if she goes into programming, she'll likely need additional math classes, but if she stays in psychology, she'll probably be 1 class or so shy of a college junior.

One of my challenges is she has fairly pronounced social anxiety and talking to strangers is a real challenge. So I have to help her get the info without being a helicopter parent. Bit of a fine line to walk there, but I'm sure we'll get through it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It has been 14 years but my oldest graduated from a junior college with an AA and the state school she went to required her to take their English course. She is also now taking classes for becoming an accountant (she did get a BA in 2012 from the state school) but the college she is going to in Portland requires she re-take math classes.

Any accountant who is doing his own math in this day and age should instantly retire because he can't be much of an accountant.

One last thing, both my daughters and I have BA degrees that we never used.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:07 pm One of my challenges is she has fairly pronounced social anxiety and talking to strangers is a real challenge. So I have to help her get the info without being a helicopter parent. Bit of a fine line to walk there, but I'm sure we'll get through it.
Once she enrolls the school won't talk to you any longer. Even if you are paying the full bill she will have to handle relations with the school.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:07 pm One of my challenges is she has fairly pronounced social anxiety and talking to strangers is a real challenge. So I have to help her get the info without being a helicopter parent. Bit of a fine line to walk there, but I'm sure we'll get through it.
Almost all the basic stuff is a just Google search away!
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:07 pm animation, creative writing, and computer programming.
If she's interested in creating animated content (whether for art or commerce), these three are almost the same field.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:34 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:07 pm animation, creative writing, and computer programming.
If she's interested in creating animated content (whether for art or commerce), these three are almost the same field.
What? No. My wife is a digital artist and writer and I'm a programmer. The Venn diagram intersection of our work pretty much stops at turning on a computer and having schedules.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:00 am Cal-Polytechnic (SLO)
15 minutes to Pismo Beach.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:26 pm
My brother got his degree at Cal Poly. My neighbors daughter graduated from there, and still lives over there, It is a really nice area.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

'Twas my sister's first job as a Residence Life hall director.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ænima wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:09 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:34 pm
What? No. My wife is a digital artist and writer and I'm a programmer. The Venn diagram intersection of our work pretty much stops at turning on a computer and having schedules.
And awesome PC gaming.

Ironically, I think the idea of a Psychology degree is easily the best career path today. Totally (mostly) resilient to trends and the economy. Massive need and the job is important.

Did I mention massive need?
She could probably start booking appointments now. No joke.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:46 pm 'Twas my sister's first job as a Residence Life hall director.
Is right handed
Has sister

updates notes
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:07 pm One of my challenges is she has fairly pronounced social anxiety and talking to strangers is a real challenge.
This seems like a problem for a career in psychology. My dad taught psychology at the local university for years. He said there many students there more interested in solving their own mental health issues than in helping others. Make sure she's doing it for the right reasons. Good luck.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Unagi wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:47 pm Ironically, I think the idea of a Psychology degree is easily the best career path today. Totally (mostly) resilient to trends and the economy. Massive need and the job is important.
OTOH you pretty much need an advance degree to get any sort of decent job and as far as I know much of the need is in jobs that don't pay that much compared to the schooling required.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

My daughter also has some significant anxiety issues and difficulty talking to strangers. So her freshman course includes "interpersonal communications" which is designed to help with that.

Something that you can do which will help tremendously. Find folks who work in the fields she is interested in, and set up some friendly chats with them. Let those folks show her what they actually do.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well said.
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:32 pm Informational interviews with people working in her short list of interests.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:45 pm
My brother got his degree at Cal Poly. My neighbors daughter graduated from there, and still lives over there, It is a really nice area.
We’re big fans from what we’ve seen. Nice town, close to the beach, and the weather sure beats Portland!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kurth wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:14 pm
Scuzz wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:45 pm
We’re big fans from what we’ve seen. Nice town, close to the beach, and the weather sure beats Portland!
The architectural school is very highly thought of, along with the enology department. Cost of living may seem high but probably not that high compared to bigger cities.
Black Lives Matter