[PC] Moonbreaker

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rittchard

[PC] Moonbreaker

Post by rittchard »

This is supposed to hit early access tomorrow:

Gameplay is described as kind of a more tactical version of Hearthstone, using miniatures instead of cards. From the little I've read/watched, it looks like the primary gimmick is that you get to paint/customize the miniatures to your heart's content. I saw a short demo of the painting and it looked really cool and easy, hopefully even for people who aren't good at or familiar with such things.

Oh, and also for Brandon Sanderson fans, I guess he worked on the lore or something for it, so there's that.

If you like Brandon he talks A LOT in this video lol:

Unagi

Re: [PC] Moonbreaker

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image

(sorry) :ninja:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

LMAO, took me a minute to get the reference. Was that actually in the movie???
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL!

80’s Bond is the best Bond IMO. Campy? Of course! But so fun.

Edit: oops, that was late ‘79, but I still consider it 80’s Bond. My comment stands. :P
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

rittchard wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:21 pm LMAO, took me a minute to get the reference. Was that actually in the movie???
Kinda.

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

So anyway... back to this game. It's more or less what I expected.

The tactical fights are fairly fun, basically as described. There are many elements from MTG-ish card games where you have X energy to spend to either use on your units or to bring in new ones. As in MTG, when you first bring a new unit in it cannot do anything. But there are more tactical elements as there are objects you can hide behind, etc. for cover that reduce the chance you will get hit. The playing field is a little small for my taste but I think they want it that way for quicker matches. Each unit has a fairly unique special power. For instance one guy pulls stuff toward you so you can set things up for other units to kill it. Another flips units away, and another had a long distance AoE attack.

I've only played against the AI a few times, and I ended up using a really cheesy strategy to win. Essentially I hid my main unit behind a structure and picked off their main unit with a long range attack. You only need to kill the main unit to win a match. The AI never moved its own main unit and seemed content to just send many small units in to take out my fodder units. I suspect I would get decimated against an experienced human player or a slightly better AI.

While the graphics look good in general, I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the art style or presentation of the units as they appear on the board. They just don't look very distinctive and I'm not sure why. Compare this to something like LoL where the characters are much smaller but it's generally pretty clear who you are looking at. Somehow these models all look kind of same-y to me which is definitely not a good thing for a game of this type. Now maybe the idea is that I need to spend time painting them to my liking to make them more distinctive, I'm not sure.

As I mentioned before, the paint engine itself is really cool, and is fun to play with. I didn't do a lot with it, but it seemed fairly easy to get started with, and the tutorial was fairly short but showed a lot of potential tricks. The units appear much larger in the paint engine, and you have access to a ton of detail. I just don't see it translating to the board game as well as I think it should.

All in all the game has good potential but it might be worth waiting for a demo or to see what it's like after it comes out of Early Access, unless you just want to support the devs.