[Amazon Video] Fallout - now coming 4/10/24 (new date - early birthday?))

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

[Amazon Video] Fallout - now coming 4/10/24 (new date - early birthday?))

Post by Blackhawk »

For those that don't know, Amazon is doing a Fallout series, and yes - based on the game. Not a lot is known right now. It's being written by Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan the creators and/or writers of Westworld, The Dark Knight trilogy, Person of Interest, etc. Very early possible spoilers follow.

Walton Goggins is in it (rumor says he's playing a ghoul), plus Ella Purnell, Michael Emerson, and Kyle MacLachlan. It's known that it takes place in Vault 32, and some shots have buildings remind me of the New Vegas/Goodsprings, and one of the known characters is named "Maximus", which leads one to believe this has ties to Caesar's Legion (IE - Fallout: New Vegas.)

It's supposed to hit in 2023, but some images have been leaking that are surprisingly close to the game:
Spoiler:
Someone opened a Super Duper Mart in Staten Island:

Power armor

And inside?

Oh, and a member of staff has been seen walking a German Shepherd around the set. Dogmeat?
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Re: [Amazon Video] Fallout - due in 2023

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Instantly, most decidedly IN
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I predict that 1/3 of the show will be Michael Emerson and Walton Goggins making bug-eyes at each other.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats really cool news. Woulda been cooler about 10 - 15 years ago. But still cooler than nothing. I wonder how it got the green light? I used to watch that YouTube series Nuka Cola or whatever it was called. Always enjoyed it .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kyle MacLachlan is not the age I always picture him. I still picture him from Dune.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:52 pm I wonder how it got the green light?
A Game of Thrones sold 11 million copies before the series premiered.

Fallout 4 has sold 13.5 million. It's an established audience, and it probably wasn't a hugely expensive license. Besides, unlike the Tolkien estate, Bethesda is going to be happy to play fast and loose with the canon as long as there is a paycheck involved.
I used to watch that YouTube series Nuka Cola or whatever it was called. Always enjoyed it .
Nuka Break. And yeah, it was fun, especially for a fan project.

Season 1
Season 2

They also did two prequels:

Fallout: The Wanderer
and
Fallout: Red Star
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I never accepted Bethesda as getting Fallout right. There are certainly many attempts to shoehorn themes and factions into periods and locations that they probably shouldn't have existed. It's like watching the 1993 Super Mario Bros. movie. Yeah, they've got the same names as the original video game... but they sure don't look the same. It's kind of a cargo cult of Fallout. Is it better than no Fallout at all? Maybe. The Van Buren project looks pretty rough, and was from the grotesque age of late-early 3D. But it wasn't a finished product, either. I'm playing Fallout 76 right now and really enjoying it, but being set 60-140 years before the original games on the other side of the country, it doesn't feel like there should be so many details in common.

But yeah, the series has Walton Goggins so I'll hope for the best.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't disagree. Bethesda took two games that took place in the same area, then built a game around their tropes. Why is there so much 50s stuff when the only significant 50s culture in the original was pre war? Why are there giant scorpions hundreds of miles from where scorpions live? Why are the Brotherhood and super mutants everywhere and in every time? Why do tiny cults have to be in every region?

They essentially made the world homogeneous, which is a shame. It would have been far more interesting if every region had its own threats and cultures.

It's a wasted opportunity, but that does not mean that I dislike them. I just think of the Bethesda games as a soft reboot. The events happened, but the specifics were a bit fuzzy. Sort of like Fallout Tactics (which is not canon.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Speaking of which, I discovered today that one of Bethesda's big influences in redesigning the universe was Forbidden Planet.

I'd never made the connection between Robco and Robby (or Protectrons and Robby.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With the way tactical games are popular again it should be time for a new Fallout Tactics.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Fallout Tactics was another half measure. I wanted to love it, but they set out to make a real-time tactics game and I wanted another TBS one. Of course, they included that mode... but it didn't really gel with the game's concept. Even more ludicrous is that Bethesda later incorporated V.A.T.S. into their fully 3D, real-time sequels. Though I do find it provides an interesting spin in FO76. But it kind of detracts from the fun of the gunplay.

I'm willing to try to accept FO3 and FO4. But FO76 is set before even FO1 and seeing tech and factions that didn't pop up till FO2 140 years later just doesn't make sense. But BH has the best take on this above. FO76's location was a fine choice though.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember Tactics as being pretty universally hated when it released. People were wanting a new Fallout rpg and not what Tactics was. I was one of them. I ignored it for years before finally trying it. Turns out I enjoyed it for what it was and finished it. Id lost my jadedness by then. its a pretty big box too..still have it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I remember being super excited for it. I preordered it from one of the last indie online Canadian video game retailers. But when it arrived, it was just the shrink-wrapped double jewel case in a small cardboard box. There was no game box. There was no preorder bonus either. (A soundtrack I think?) Plus, my parents had separated (temporarily as it would turn out... I was in my late teens), and my mom had taken the PC with her, so I had nowhere to play it. I think I sent it back before rebuying it a while later.

I remember modifying the music with tracks from the Fight Club and The Jackal soundtracks. They actually fit it really well. But despite numerous attempts, I never got deep into the game. I still remember the demo and those first couple levels though.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had fun with it, although it did drag for a while about 2/3 of the way through. They did make some pretty big changes to the canon, though - like modernizing the equipment, making deathclaws a recruitable species, etc, which is partially why it isn't considered canon (although Fallout 4 does have a mechanism for taming deathclaws.)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My favorite/most hated memory of FO Tactics was the Browning 50 cal bug/feature. I hated, hated, hated when it happened to me. Also because it took a while to learn that it was actually a bug. But I'm pretty sure I started using the bug to my advantage in subsequent plays. :twisted:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

First 'official' photo.
Spoiler:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I could dig it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

What is this, Close Encounters of the Third Kind?!

Where's the brahmin?!

Enlarge Image

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:40 pm First 'official' photo.
Spoiler:
The suits are for Vault 33, which should put the show in Las Vegas area.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, despite early reports being Vault 32, it still backs up my speculation earlier of an NCR setting, between a character named Maximus and the buildings (first picture below) that look a lot like the FNV architecture.

Some more leaked photos that have surfaced:
Spoiler:
Note the '32' on the wall of the vault section, too.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow! Those sets look great. I wasn't really paying too much attention before, but I'm a little excited now. Maybe I'll go back and finish Fallout 4. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those do look good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:14 pm Wow! Those sets look great. I wasn't really paying too much attention before, but I'm a little excited now. Maybe I'll go back and finish Fallout 4. :)
Make sure you check out the ones in my first post if you haven't.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I've never played any of the Fallout games but this looks interesting. Even without Goggins I'd be interested but when you add him to the mix, I'm rather excited to see it.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder if it will show how I can carry 400 lbs of stuff without power armor.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Only 400? Amateur. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You load it all into a dead raider's corpse, then carry the head around with you like someone jammed a bag of holding into a macabre Gucci handbag.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Now that is something that never occurred to me. I can't remember how moving/carrying stuff works. Do you have to hold the key, or is it a toggle. I could be a pain. But at least you could drop it in a hurry if you needed.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You have to hold it (although any key mapping software could set up a toggle.)

I've done that a couple of times in loot heavy Oblivion dungeons years ago. Kill a skeleton near the entrance, and carry the head through the dungeon to dump loot into. It's annoying, and has some big limitations (you can't take it through a loading screen, including doors and fast travel) but it works.

Another trick for getting loot to market is to drop something heavy that is putting you over the limit - say, a Fat Man launcher - and then just carrying it along with you to the vendor.

99% of the time it isn't worth the hassle, though, and is really one of those mechanics exploits that is good for a chuckle more than it is practical.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Usually I'd try to keep things under control. But eventually (inevitably) there would always be that building/dungeon/fight/instance where there would be simply too much good stuff to pass up (and the settlement crafting made it even harder to resist). So I'd just accept it and load up. My recollection was that with Fallout 4, over weight would just make you move slow. Unless that was something I modded/turned on. Nothing quite like walking at a snail's pace from the swamps at the bottom of the map back to Sanctuary... in the dark. :D

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been painful lately because when you get too much weight you can't move at all. :(

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always edit the game files so I can carry like 10,000 pounds hehee. Doesn't ruin the immersion at all for me. I like picking up stuff and selling it to improve the things I do like to keep and use. Its my game and my world so why not.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:08 pm Usually I'd try to keep things under control. But eventually (inevitably) there would always be that building/dungeon/fight/instance where there would be simply too much good stuff to pass up (and the settlement crafting made it even harder to resist). So I'd just accept it and load up. My recollection was that with Fallout 4, over weight would just make you move slow. Unless that was something I modded/turned on. Nothing quite like walking at a snail's pace from the swamps at the bottom of the map back to Sanctuary... in the dark. :D
Yeah, FO4 just slowed you down. Since I play with the Everyone's Best Friend mod (lets you have Dogmeat plus a regular companion), I usually just load them up. Side note: Have dog meat carry the explosive weapons. I got back to my settlement one time just as a raider attack happened, and Piper opened up with a Fat Man, right there in the settlement. Repeatedly.

I had lots of ASAM sensors to fix when she got done.

I think the worst offender was Milkrun Cave Rock Milk Cave in Oblivion. That's the one that had two bandit groups in one cave fighting each other. You could go in there as soon as you leveled up to a new gear tier and they'd all be wearing that tier. Let 'em fight each other, and equip yourself for the next five or ten levels, then sell the excess.

After my first playthrough, I avoided that cave. It spoiled the loot experience too much.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had Cait steal my Fatman and all my mininukes, about 8-9, from my workbench and proceeds to nuke everything.
Now I carry my mininukes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:42 pm I had Cait steal my Fatman and all my mininukes, about 8-9, from my workbench and proceeds to nuke everything.
Now I carry my mininukes.
Playing with ammo weight makes that a little more difficult.

On the other hand, I'd imagine that playing with an unlimited companions mod combined with no companion ammo use and giving them all Fat Man launchers would be entertaining (and the no friendly fire perk, of course.)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:11 pm On the other hand, I'd imagine that playing with an unlimited companions mod combined with no companion ammo use and giving them all Fat Man launchers would be entertaining (and the no friendly fire perk, of course.)
It became necessary to nuke the Super-Duper Mart (and the surrounding 4 blocks) in order to save it
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was just catching up on what they're doing with this and thought I might share.

I wonder what they might be doing with this location... Google Maps link

Spoiler:

FO4 on the left, the set on the right:
And a couple of others.
Spoiler:

Of particular note here is the flag, which adds to the idea that this is set in the New Vegas area (it's Vault 33, and Vault 34 is already in New Vegas.)
I don't know if the show will be any good, or if it will live more than a season, but at least we know that they're paying attention to the look (and hopefully, the lore.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had one of my town folk take and start walking around town in one of my many power armors. I dont recall how i got it back or how / why they took it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In the show? :wink:

And yeah, that's why you don't leave power cores in your armor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:13 pm ...you don't leave power cores in your armor.
QFT

Black Lives Matter