Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Trump goes after CNN

Post by malchior »

Trump adding in more noise and chaos

dbt1949

Re: Trump goes after CNN

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder if he had this many lawsuits going on (both for and against him) before he was president?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
malchior

Post by malchior »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:31 pm I wonder if he had this many lawsuits going on (both for and against him) before he was president?
He has been party to thousands of lawsuits as defendant or plaintiff. That's not a typo.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Do CNN get to pick the judge?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently he filed this in Florida and it's assigned to the same judge who has the lawsuit where Dershowitz is suing CNN as well. Looks like I might be warming up the calvinball thread for more incoming fire.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Would love to know who's paying for all this. Dude is broke AF.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

His PAC has $100M in the bank. I'm sure he regards that as his own piggybank.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This seems like part of an ongoing effort by Trumpists to basically "capture" CNN. Hard to imagine this lawsuit getting much traction (although...was it forum-shopped to Cannon's court?). But the value of it is that it becomes leverage for Trump-friendly people within CNN when dealing with CNN non-Trumpists leading up to the 2024 election. Because CNN is being singled out by Trump as a target, which means that the CNN leadership is necessarily going to be thinking "what happens to us if Trump returns to the presidency in 2025?"

Which will be used by the Trumpists within CNN who otherwise dislike Trump, and which can thereby be used to make CNN coverage more favorable to Trump as a hedge against Trump's return to power. Which also makes said return to power more likely.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:46 pm This seems like part of an ongoing effort by Trumpists to basically "capture" CNN. Hard to imagine this lawsuit getting much traction (although...was it forum-shopped to Cannon's court?).
It ended up with another Trump appointee from 2019 name Singhal. Apparently he has been entertaining Dershowitz's shambolic $300M lawsuit against CNN. Some hot takes I've read are that he has been making bonkers rulings for Dershowitz. He has the usual tells. He is a Federalist society potential hack...yadda yadda...which might mean he hates Sullivan. Whatever. We'll see if it goes calvinball which seems reasonably plausible.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:03 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:46 pm This seems like part of an ongoing effort by Trumpists to basically "capture" CNN. Hard to imagine this lawsuit getting much traction (although...was it forum-shopped to Cannon's court?).
It ended up with another Trump appointee from 2019 name Singhal. Apparently he has been entertaining Dershowitz's shambolic $300M lawsuit against CNN. Some hot takes I've read are that he has been making bonkers rulings for Dershowitz. He has the usual tells. He is a Federalist society potential hack...yadda yadda...which might mean he hates Sullivan. Whatever. We'll see if it goes calvinball which seems reasonably plausible.
I mean, all he has to do is deny CNN's motion to dismiss for whatever reason in order to impose significant litigation costs and settlement pressure on CNN.

Though like I said, even if the lawsuit gets dismissed, it has value for Trump in terms of putting a bigger target on CNN.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Two weeks ago, Trump told an audience that Fetterman was doing heroin. Sue the orange fat ass. Then gather up all the people the orange manatee has defamed via Twitter or what not and have them join in. Seeing trump homeless and begging for someone to urinate on him in the street for candy bar money would be a wonderful Christmas present for most of the world.
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm Two weeks ago, Trump told an audience that Fetterman was doing heroin. Sue the orange fat ass. Then gather up all the people the orange manatee has defamed via Twitter or what not and have them join in. Seeing trump homeless and begging for someone to urinate on him in the street for candy bar money would be a wonderful Christmas present for most of the world.
I don't think most people have the stamina or resources for that. Look how long E. Jean Carroll has been trying to get him into court.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:07 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm Two weeks ago, Trump told an audience that Fetterman was doing heroin. Sue the orange fat ass. Then gather up all the people the orange manatee has defamed via Twitter or what not and have them join in. Seeing trump homeless and begging for someone to urinate on him in the street for candy bar money would be a wonderful Christmas present for most of the world.
I don't think most people have the stamina or resources for that. Look how long E. Jean Carroll has been trying to get him into court.
I'd send gofundme money to it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:21 am
Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:07 am
I'd send gofundme money to it.
Would a "Sue Trump" PAC be viable? He uses his to fund all his legal defense, and now apparently offense.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:12 am Would a "Sue Trump" PAC be viable? He uses his to fund all his legal defense, and now apparently offense.
I barely even know her. They tell me she's a beautiful person though. I hear she really admires me.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Except, he didn’t say he was doing heroin. He said Fetterman wants to decriminalize a host of illegal drugs, including a bunch that he names specifically (including heroin). Then he said, “And he takes them himself.”
Fetterman supports taxpayer-funded drug dens and the complete decriminalization of illegal drugs, including heroin, cocaine, crystal meth, and ultra lethal fentanyl. By the way, he takes them himself.
It’s a perfect example of Trump’s method of strongly implying a thing without actually saying the thing: Does the last sentence refer to the generalized “illegal drugs” or to the enumerated list of examples?

Fetterman’s too smart to sue Trump. It would be the stupidest thing imaginable for him to take that bait, especially at this point in his contest vs. the clown that is Dr. Oz.

First, it’s possible - I think probable - that Fetterman would lose. If Fetterman has ever so much as taken an illegal substance, Trump likely wins with truth as a defense. I don’t know of any stories that establish Fetterman has taken any illegal substance, but, come on . . . The guy is not exactly a stereotypical, clean-cut and straight-laced Boy Scout. And he’s campaigned on legalizing pot forever. I wouldn’t want to bet against the proposition that Fetterman has partaken of some illegal substances at some point in his life. Of course, Trump’s use of “takes them” seems to suggest current use, but I don’t think that’s a winning argument for Fetterman.

Second, and more importantly, a defamation lawsuit like this would open Fetterman up to wide-reaching discovery into his personal life to get at whether or not he has ever taken any illegal drugs. That sounds like a great idea, right? What could go wrong there? In a defamation lawsuit like this, Fetterman would be the nominal plaintiff, but make no mistake, he’d be playing defense from the minute he filed the complaint. Terrible, terrible idea.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Got on a Fetterman detour above, but the real reason I stopped in here to post was related: It’s about the discovery process in civil litigation.

I think the most dangerous part of the Trump lawsuit against CNN is discovery.

First, CNN is going to have to (already has) issued a “litigation hold” which requires any and all documents (electronic or otherwise - document is interpreted really broadly) that may be relevant (again, relevance is interpreted really broadly) to be preserved. That means all notes. All drafts. All instant messages. Everything.

Second, and more importantly, all that stuff that CNN is going to be preserving will likely be discoverable in response to what I’m sure will be wide ranging and overly burdensome discovery requests from Trump’s lawyers. Giving Trump and his team practically unfettered access to the inner workings of CNN’s coverage of him seems very much suboptimal. Trump is a dumpster fire, but he’s also proven to be a master of manipulating the media. I don’t like the idea that he’ll have his nose very much in CNN’s journalism, possibly in real time.

Third, I’m concerned about a chilling effect from the ongoing litigation and the ever present threat that any thing they do or say about Trump behind closed doors at CNN could be the subject of discovery in this defamation case. I’ve never held a very strong opinion of CNN’s journalism to begin with, but I can’t imagine their internal deliberations set out for Trump’s review will do anything to improve it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

We can hope that he continues having trouble getting top class lawyers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 pm
Except, he didn’t say he was doing heroin. He said Fetterman wants to decriminalize a host of illegal drugs, including a bunch that he names specifically (including heroin). Then he said, “And he takes them himself.”
Fetterman supports taxpayer-funded drug dens and the complete decriminalization of illegal drugs, including heroin, cocaine, crystal meth, and ultra lethal fentanyl. By the way, he takes them himself.
It’s a perfect example of Trump’s method of strongly implying a thing without actually saying the thing: Does the last sentence refer to the generalized “illegal drugs” or to the enumerated list of examples?
That's not implying. At all. He is stating, as a fact, that Fetterman takes those drugs. You don't get to issue a statement like "he supports molesting cats, beating cats, feeding cats asparagus and killing cats...which he does himself" and then clam you only meant the asparagus part.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03 pm
That's not implying. At all. He is stating, as a fact, that Fetterman takes those drugs. You don't get to issue a statement like "he supports molesting cats, beating cats, feeding cats asparagus and killing cats...which he does himself" and then clam you only meant the asparagus part.
No, that's not right. And your example isn't in line with what Trump said. You'd need to rephrase it: "He supports decriminalizing the mistreatment of cats, including molesting cats, beating cats, feeding cats asparagus and killing cats. And he does it himself."

And, yes, if that were the statement and the subject of the statement did, in fact, mistreat a cat at some point, the speaker would have a viable defense that he had spoken the truth.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We have very different interpretations as I still do not agree with your belief that Trump's statement does anything BUT factually state Fetterman is taking heroin, crystal meth and similar drugs. Trump isn't being "clever" with his wording. He's being provocative and accusatory. He is telling his people, in a way that does not "imply" at all, that Fetterman is a drug crazed fiend.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:35 pm We have very different interpretations as I still do not agree with your belief that Trump's statement does anything BUT factually state Fetterman is taking heroin, crystal meth and similar drugs. Trump isn't being "clever" with his wording. He's being provocative and accusatory. He is telling his people, in a way that does not "imply" at all, that Fetterman is a drug crazed fiend.
Yeah, ok, but the very fact that you and I have "very different interpretations" kind of proves the point.

Also, just to be clear, I 100% agree with you in terms of Trump being provocative and accusatory and delivering a purposeful message. He wants his people to think that Fetterman did heroin. It's just that he didn't say it in the kind of unequivocal, clear way that sets him up for a successful defamation claim. Again, because, that's what Trump does . . .
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:47 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:35 pm We have very different interpretations as I still do not agree with your belief that Trump's statement does anything BUT factually state Fetterman is taking heroin, crystal meth and similar drugs. Trump isn't being "clever" with his wording. He's being provocative and accusatory. He is telling his people, in a way that does not "imply" at all, that Fetterman is a drug crazed fiend.
Yeah, ok, but the very fact that you and I have "very different interpretations" kind of proves the point.
I wasn't implying it though. I was stating it as fact. So it does prove the point...but not in the way you want. :P
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If I were on a jury, I would most certainly feel that statement at the very minimum implies that Fetterman currently takes some illegal drug(s), and more broadly it certainly implied that he takes one or more of the listed ones, but I could be persuaded it was about some illegal drug...

but a lawyer would hang on the 'illegal drugs' phrase, find evidence of Fetterman smoking pot (either before or now, but they probably could find 'now'), and then point out that pot is still illegal in many states.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 pm It’s a perfect example of Trump’s method of strongly implying a thing without actually saying the thing: Does the last sentence refer to the generalized “illegal drugs” or to the enumerated list of examples?
A reasonable person would conclude that it refers to the enumerated list of examples.
Last edited by Alefroth on Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:56 pm If I were on a jury, I would most certainly feel that statement at the very minimum implies that Fetterman currently takes some illegal drug(s), and more broadly it certainly implied that he takes one or more of the listed ones, but I could be persuaded it was about some illegal drug...

but a lawyer would hang on the 'illegal drugs' phrase, find evidence of Fetterman smoking pot (either before or now, but they probably could find 'now'), and then point out that pot is still illegal in many states.
Pot is also still illegal under federal law.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm quite sure that most of Trump's case against CNN hinges on even less slanderous quotes.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:19 pm I'm quite sure that most of Trump's case against CNN hinges on even less slanderous quotes.
He is going to lose the CNN case spectacularly.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:46 pm He is going to lose the CNN case spectacularly.
But maybe not before he's able to engaging in aggressive fundraising off it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:46 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:19 pm I'm quite sure that most of Trump's case against CNN hinges on even less slanderous quotes.
Sure but the point is not to win the lawsuit but to do damage. As Kurth points out he'll be mucking around in their internals. Anything damaging they find will be leaked or shouted out to their masses. Would they love to win the money? Naturally but that'd be gravy. The entire point is to smash things. And he has a judge who very well might let him break things for awhile before shutting it down. On top if/when he loses he'll complain about the system and he'll land more punches. We need to stop keeping score based on his win/loss record and focus on the big picture.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:11 pm
Sure but the point is not to win the lawsuit but to do damage. As Kurth points out he'll be mucking around in their internals. Anything damaging they find will be leaked or shouted out to their masses. Would they love to win the money? Naturally but that'd be gravy. The entire point is to smash things. And he has a judge who very well might let him break things for awhile before shutting it down. On top if/when he loses he'll complain about the system and he'll land more punches. We need to stop keeping score based on his win/loss record and focus on the big picture.
To be clear they only get to "muck around" in discovery if the lawsuit survives a motion to dismiss. Will it? It probably shouldn't, but it wouldn't be shocking if the Trumpist judge denies CNN's motion to dismiss.

Also, I still think that the bigger picture is to chill negative coverage of Trump on CNN - in the short term by making them nervous to say negative stuff about Trump that could be focused on in this lawsuit, in the long term by making management nervous about a new Trump administration coming after them.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:19 pm
To be clear they only get to "muck around" in discovery if the lawsuit survives a motion to dismiss. Will it? It probably shouldn't, but it wouldn't be shocking if the Trumpist judge denies CNN's motion to dismiss.
Yeah I get that but the odds seem high. The Alan Dershowitz case gave them a roadmap to follow. The judge already allowed that suit to go forward.
Also, I still think that the bigger picture is to chill negative coverage of Trump on CNN - in the short term by making them nervous to say negative stuff about Trump that could be focused on in this lawsuit, in the long term by making management nervous about a new Trump administration coming after them.
That's in there but I think they are aiming at the whole news ecosystem. In time we're going to see this was another piece of the assault on our democracy.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This was in response to hepcat saying the other lawsuit should be filed....which it should not.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:42 pmThis was in response to hepcat saying the other lawsuit should be filed....which it should not.
My fault on any disconnect here. My point (as clumsy as it is) was premised in an idea that the relative strength of the cases doesn't matter much. This is all politics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:39 pm
Yeah I get that but the odds seem high. The Alan Dershowitz case gave them a roadmap to follow. The judge already allowed that suit to go forward.
That's in there but I think they are aiming at the whole news ecosystem. In time we're going to see this was another piece of the assault on our democracy.
So now he IS playing 4-D chess? Dammit, I give up.

"Stable Genius Plays Wicked 4-D Chess Match Against Deep State and Wins"

As alluded to above (I think), I suspect the idea here is not to win, but the FIGHT. Against the king of MSM?! His cult will absolutely swoon. There will be mass fainting when they see how his marketing team will gin this up as an epic battle between good and evil. They've already been conditioned for years to hate any non-conservative leaning news, and we see what his mob did to the press cameras and equipment on Jan 6 if you want to see how they REALLY feel about "not Fox News" media. Even if he loses, he wins, which is why I suspect, he's even pretending to play at all.

Are we sure this man is a moron?
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Also, I still think that the bigger picture is to chill negative coverage of Trump on CNN - in the short term by making them nervous to say negative stuff about Trump that could be focused on in this lawsuit, in the long term by making management nervous about a new Trump administration coming after them.
Yeah, they are, but there seems to be a specific focus on CNN in Trumpworld right now. Which makes sense - CNN probably has the most value for them since it has the most nonpartisan brand of any major news source at the moment.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:16 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:39 pm
So now he IS playing 4-D chess? Dammit, I give up.

"Stable Genius Plays Wicked 4-D Chess Match Against Deep State and Wins"

As alluded to above (I think), I suspect the idea here is not to win, but the FIGHT. Against the king of MSM?! His cult will absolutely swoon. There will be mass fainting when they see how his marketing team will gin this up as an epic battle between good and evil. They've already been conditioned for years to hate any non-conservative leaning news, and we see what his mob did to the press cameras and equipment on Jan 6 if you want to see how they REALLY feel about "not Fox News" media. Even if he loses, he wins, which is why I suspect, he's even pretending to play at all.

Are we sure this man is a moron?
Oh he's a stone cold moron. But at the same time he does have some solid instincts about media and marketing, combined with an apathetic ruthlessness that helps a lot. Plus he has a few people with cunning around him.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Considering the last Trump lawsuit against CNN got dismissed under anti-SLAPP laws, I imagine this one can be, too. Even in Florida.
Hodor.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Fetterman’s too smart to sue Trump. It would be the stupidest thing imaginable for him to take that bait, especially at this point in his contest vs. the clown that is Dr. Oz.

First, it’s possible - I think probable - that Fetterman would lose. If Fetterman has ever so much as taken an illegal substance, Trump likely wins with truth as a defense. I don’t know of any stories that establish Fetterman has taken any illegal substance, but, come on . . . The guy is not exactly a stereotypical, clean-cut and straight-laced Boy Scout. And he’s campaigned on legalizing pot forever. I wouldn’t want to bet against the proposition that Fetterman has partaken of some illegal substances at some point in his life. Of course, Trump’s use of “takes them” seems to suggest current use, but I don’t think that’s a winning argument for Fetterman.

Second, and more importantly, a defamation lawsuit like this would open Fetterman up to wide-reaching discovery into his personal life to get at whether or not he has ever taken any illegal drugs. That sounds like a great idea, right? What could go wrong there? In a defamation lawsuit like this, Fetterman would be the nominal plaintiff, but make no mistake, he’d be playing defense from the minute he filed the complaint. Terrible, terrible idea.
The accused is the one that need to prove he never taken any illegal drugs?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:19 pm

The accused is the one that need to prove he never taken any illegal drugs?
Nope. First, Trump would actually be the accused here (the defendant).

But, getting to your actual question, the truth of the statement would be Trump's burden to carry. And in order to meet that burden, he would be all over Fetterman, digging through his past and in his personal life to try to find some example of illegal drug use. Which is why I said, even though Fetterman would be the plaintiff, he would be on the defense from the jump.