Insurance Company Battles - Advice? Success Stories?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Insurance Company Battles - Advice? Success Stories?

Post by Jeff V »

As you might know, my 2019 Nissan Rogue got hammered while I was blissfully waiting for the light to change. I've still not had a discussion with the car person from his insurance (AmFam), only the injury adjuster who offered a mere $350 on top of actual medical expenses (meat wagon trip to the ER to get checked out). I have not accepted that offer.

The latest estimate on car repairs is $18,500. My insurance company told me the car will be totaled. Look up on JD Edwards, the replacement cost (the same model and options package) currently goes for $26,250 in my area (and I paid $32K new in 2019). It seems to me this should be the number I hold out for...like I said, I haven't been given an offer yet. Anyone have experience with such things?
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Re: Insurance Company Battles - Advice? Success Stories?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yes, lots of recent experience.

I tried very hard (sent back my own comps, etc., lots of research and pushback) trying to get them not to total my daughter’s car but it was all for naught.

At the end of the day, unless you are dealing with a tiny/independent insurance agent/company (any of those left??), these things are all decided by algos.

Which might or might not have led me to indirectly ask my super nice agent of 22 years why I was paying his commission. :D :oops:

FWIW this was literally at the height of the used car demand and I knew it was going to be a massive pain to replace.

Insanely low miles older Honda Civic (‘08 maybe) that we bought from my aunt, and I knew I was never going to find something like that in the current market.

As for my other total, it was an ‘07 Mazda CX-9 that needed a $4500K transmission. No insurance involved with that.. I just sold it for around $3K to one of those companies that comes to your house, picks up your wreck, and cuts you a check at the same time.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Some more information. NADAguides.com (which was recommended to my by a tech at the body shop) is now owned by JD Powers, and they certified the purchase price of that car, with the options included, is $26,250 in my area. So that is what I could expect to pay for a car that restores me to the state I was before the accident, right?

If they agree to that, we still have some figuring out to do. That would be a good down payment on a new CR-V hybrid (best in class for that size of car...and something that would make Zaxxon happy). The list price on that is $36K. although current selling price could be much higher. I could also forgo purchasing a car and instead rent one -- a Tesla rents for $550 per week, including insurance and maintenance. This week I made $1550 driving Uber, so maybe that's not a horrible deal? There's a greater-than-zero chance my wife will move us to the Philippines in 2024, which further lends credence to renting vs. buying. But renting at that rate means I need to drive more than I do now...day my wife is off of work will be late days for me, not family time.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

One consideration is no gas needed for a Tesla Uber. But $550 per week is a pretty tough nut to crack.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

But a much higher electric bill. Right now, I've fended off the solar army by claiming (accurately) that my electric averages $85/mo over the course of a year. Uber estimates a 50% savings over the cost of gas. And i could have a range problem -- there are days I exceed 350 miles driving.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wrecked my first Miata in 2006 and the damage was borderline totaled, so the insurance company gave me the choice to scrap or repair. The NB had just been replaced by the NC, which I didn't like for multiple reasons, so I went for the repair and drove my NB for 11 more years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:12 pm But a much higher electric bill. Right now, I've fended off the solar army by claiming (accurately) that my electric averages $85/mo over the course of a year. Uber estimates a 50% savings over the cost of gas. And i could have a range problem -- there are days I exceed 350 miles driving.
I would not recommend the hybrid CRV’s. Unless you are doing 90% city driving (which maybe you are considering where you live). Like my Hyundai Santa Fe hybrid, they get terrible (for a hybrid) mpg on highways (and specifically any driving above 70).

In that class at least consider the RAV, even though I am not a fan of how Toyota’s drive (steering/handling etc).

They are much quicker, and get the best mpg in the class in both city and highway driving.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That's the thing -- if it's repaired, it will be an inferior car, so they would also have to offer the difference in value from an undamaged car to a repaired car. But my wife would very much like us to remain not having a car payment. If I got the Honda and they paid the current market value for the Rogue, the payment won't be that much, greater than zero, but far less than the $550 the Tesla would cost. But the Tesla would include insurance and maintenance, and the settlement could otherwise wipe out debt incurred when my wife made an emergency trip to the Philippines earlier this year and then followed it up with airfare for the lot of us to go there next June.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:12 pm But a much higher electric bill. Right now, I've fended off the solar army by claiming (accurately) that my electric averages $85/mo over the course of a year. Uber estimates a 50% savings over the cost of gas. And i could have a range problem -- there are days I exceed 350 miles driving.
I would not recommend the hybrid CRV’s. Unless you are doing 90% city driving (which maybe you are considering where you live). Like my Hyundai Santa Fe hybrid, they get terrible (for a hybrid) mpg on highways (and specifically any driving above 70).

In that class at least consider the RAV, even though I am not a fan of how Toyota’s drive (steering/handling etc).

They are much quicker, and get the best mpg in the class in both city and highway driving.
The Honda CR-V hybrid is rated 36 in the city, which would be between 80-90% of my driving. The Rogue manages between 27-29 mph -- not bad --the Nissan hybrid is only marginally better though. It's rated best in class for it's ilk. My wife would really like a Honda Odyssey, but that is not only more expensive to operate, but also has a list price closer to $50K.

The wild card in all this is whether or not my wife moves us to the Philippines in 2024. If she does, then renting probably makes more sense.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“Rated.” Read the reviews by Edmunds et al and forums to see what’s typical.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Used mini vans are usually reasonably priced. IMO
Stop funding for NPR
stessier

Post by stessier »

The electric bill will be much less than the gas it is replacing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:40 pm

The wild card in all this is whether or not my wife moves us to the Philippines in 2024. If she does, then renting probably makes more sense.
You can always sell a car you buy/finance. $550/week is $2385/month. How much is insurance and maintenance worth?

One thing, are you able to write off expenses for Uber? If you rent would that be 100% business expense? If it is, does Uber earn you enough to take advantage of it? Likewise, what about gas/insurance/maintenance if you buy?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I totaled my car last year in an accident. After getting jerked around by the dealer but sticking firm and playing some other dealers against him, I ending up buying a new car for $2,000+ less than what the insurance company paid me. I call that a win.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:24 pm Used mini vans are usually reasonably priced. IMO
Not around here, in the land of Honda Odyssey's in every driveway. If a 3 year old car with 70K on it is only depreciated 18% from the new price, then a minivan (which costs much more) will be similarly priced.

And now with yesterday's accident, the equation changes even more since my insurance will certainly increase regardless. However, with that latest accident, my wife is not too keen on me doing Uber any longer.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yesterday?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:09 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:40 pm

You can always sell a car you buy/finance. $550/week is $2385/month. How much is insurance and maintenance worth?

One thing, are you able to write off expenses for Uber? If you rent would that be 100% business expense? If it is, does Uber earn you enough to take advantage of it? Likewise, what about gas/insuranceg by/maintenance if you buy?
You can deduct expenses.

But will a company rent a car for use by an Uber driver? I have seen ads for vehicles call out vehicles used by services.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I don't know if this can be done as an uber driver, but you might look into it https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/make-mo ... 0of%20ads.
Stop funding for NPR
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:13 pmYesterday?
Yeah. What’s this?

Have there been two accidents ?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:56 pm But will a company rent a car for use by an Uber driver? I have seen ads for vehicles call out vehicles used by services.
Uber works with specific companies for this. I could not otherwise use a car I rent on my own accord.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:23 am
Scuzz wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:56 pm But will a company rent a car for use by an Uber driver? I have seen ads for vehicles call out vehicles used by services.
Uber works with specific companies for this. I could not otherwise use a car I rent on my own accord.
You spoke of an accident ‘yesterday’ ?
Have there been two accidents now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yes, this one (since I got a ticket) is ostensibly my fault but it was a poorly designed intersection. I was in the middle of a block-long backup at a light, decided to turn left and go a different route. The left turn lane is more than a block long there, though; when I checked the mirror, I saw nothing, I checked the blind spot and proceeded into the turn lane. A lady in a minivan either came off 290 or was still going at speed from further down North Ave -- she still had a half-block to stop, and obviously wasn't expecting me to suddenly pull out. Ripped the front end off my Versa, front left wheel, driver side mirror.

It's not been a good 3 weeks.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ouch.

Glad you're physically Ok though.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:40 am Ouch.

Glad you're physically Ok though.
Yeah, again, the airbag didn't even deploy. It will be interesting to see if this is fixable -- 2016 Versa's haven't been one to hold it's value. The damage seems less than the Rogue (no innards yanked out) so we'll see.

The thing is, had I been driving the Rogue, the blind spot indicator would have likely caught the fast-approaching car and screamed at me before I made a move.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I did not know that. Good deal for you, assuming they offer a good price.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:57 pm
I did not know that. Good deal for you, assuming they offer a good price.
About $450 per week, maintenance and insurance included. I have to do a minimum of 30 rides per week, which typically would cover that (a normal day for me is 10-15 rides, $125-200 per day). Since the Tesla super charger doesn't otherwise charge me directly, I assume that will be added as well (it's cheaper than gas, which is $4.30/gal here at the moment). But there's also a premium on every ride using an electric car, so that will mitigate the cost a little. I talked to a few other drivers who were at the Hertz office (this particular location deals only in Uber rentals, and only Teslas) and he couldn't say enough about it, saying he averages $3K per week driving it. He also likes driving in the city -- I suppose the regressive braking is more effective in city driving because he says he sometimes goes 12 hours with a standard version (claimed 260 mile range). I drove for about 2 hours today, similar to the kind of driving I normally do -- some highway, some city. I started with 68% charge and wound up at 38%, so I'm not optimistic about the math there (if I'm in the city, I've already drove more than an hour on the expressway).
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:27 pm He also likes driving in the city -- I suppose the regressive braking is more effective in city driving...
Regenerative braking.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Regressive, regenerate, degenerate, whatever. :D
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So currently we're looking at $25,900 for the 2019 Rogue with 72K on it (original price, $32K). The Versa is getting $10,500 ($11,000 less $500 deductible) -- that's a 2016 with 75K on it that was $19K new (and widely regarded as a car that does not hold any value).

Wife wants to get a minivan (there appears to be more affordable Toyota's in the area ($38K) as opposed to Honda, which are going for $51K. While the math really does work out with continuing to rent the Tesla as I drive Uber, she refuses to believe it. We'll see what sort of 2nd car purchase she agrees to -- perhaps a hybrid, but that won't be readily available.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I really like my 2008 Sienna. The only improvement I would have wanted would have been for the middle row to stow in the floor too. Just about 140,000 miles on it now.
Stop funding for NPR
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Most important right now is a full suite of safety features. If the base model is lacking, we'll need to upgrade.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I can't speak to those, I do have the most important safety feature in my opinion, an excellent 360 degree field of vision. I also have aftermarket LED headlight that are swell and hardly more expensive than a regular bulb. I can make cross country trips in the dark.
Stop funding for NPR
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wednesday, my wife received a brand new Highlander after the dealer failed to fix an error on the initial one she got.

Yesterday, driving to work, she was rear-ended by a Lexus (which in my wife's opinion was totaled). Damage on her car at the very least is a new bumper cover...the Lexus slid under the bumper and while her car is perfectly drivable, we don't know if there is any structural damage lurking underneath. At the time of the accident, the car had less than 100 miles on it.

Replacing the bumper cover is probably a minor fix. But the car will be flagged as being in an accident, meaning it's current value will be much less than before the accident. Anyone with ideas on how we might recover this lost value?

What a shitty year for us and cars.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You might buy a horseshoe and hang it up over your door with the ends up to catch some good luck. :idea:
Stop funding for NPR
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:21 pm You might buy a horseshoe and hang it up over your door with the ends up to catch some good luck. :idea:
There is only one kind of luck. And that is bad.

When we signed the loan for this car, the finance lady gave us what she said was a "lucky pen". Turned out to be the pen of doom.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jesus. At this point I’d just give up on cars altogether. :shock:
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

No kidding. At this point you should probably be thankful for still having insurance.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:34 am No kidding. At this point you should probably be thankful for still having insurance.
Insurance doesn't cancel you when it's not your fault and the other guy's insurance pays.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can you hire an Uber to Uber your passengers for you? Getting back in a car just sounds too dangerous for you or anyone in your family.
He won. Period.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Diminished value - look into this; for all of your accidents (and that's a lot.. jesus) - you will need to be persistent - start calling the claims adjuster every few hours, be a total pain in the ass, and force the conversation. You won't get what the calculators say, but they should meet you in the middle - you achieve this by being annoying and relentless.
No.