[Film] A Christmas Story Christmas

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] A Christmas Story Christmas

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Re: [Film] A Christmas Story Christmas

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, that showed a lot. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I guess I can finally stop my letter-writing campaign demanding to know what these kids are doing as adults.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm cautiously (VERY cautiously) optimistic only because of Peter Billingsley's involvement.

Weirdly enough, the writer, Nick Schenk, has only written Clint Eastwood movies to date.

The director, Clay Klaytis, already has one solid Christmas movie under his belt, The Christmas Chronicles (2018) which I've enjoyed every year since it came out.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kind of surprised they would have Scott Schwartz in it. He's had a colorful career since his childhood days. :lol: From the IMDB page it seems they got all of the main kids back. So I mean I'll watch it, but my expectations are pretty low.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That title though. Yikes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

As someone who has watched A Christmas Story for most of my life, and can in fact recite a lot of the movie, I do not have high hopes for this.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That generated exactly zero interest from me, and I adore the original.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its too soon! Its like they started filming this one in the middle of making the first one! Nothings changed. I bet its the same damn story. Or its him recovering on New Years from eye surgery.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isn't it supposed to take place decades later when they're all grown up? He'd have his own family, but I'm worried they'll mostly play it safe by revisiting things from the original, such as taking the leg lamp out of storage, and making one of his kids wear the bunny outfit, and having the kid want an airsoft gun.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not enthusiastic, but I had the same feelings about them revisiting The Karate Kid.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only ever saw A Christmas Story for the first time a few years ago, so I don't have the nostalgia baggage you guys all have. IDK if I'll see the... sequel?...or not, but it's not top-of-mind. The original movie is a gem that I don't need to reexamine every 12 months. I look forward to your mass disapproval. :wink:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Rumpy wrote:Isn't it supposed to take place decades later when they're all grown up? He'd have his own family, but I'm worried they'll mostly play it safe by revisiting things from the original, such as taking the leg lamp out of storage, and making one of his kids wear the bunny outfit, and having the kid want an airsoft gun.
Dear Lord I hope not. That's what happened with A Christmas Story 2. To the point I started counting every time they just repeated a joke from the first movie.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:25 am That's what happened with A Christmas Story 2.
I had no idea this is a thing that existed.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Be glad you weren't aware. It came out a few years ago and was about a slightly older Ralphie and his wish for a new car. But it was just recycled joke after recycled joke from people who were vastly inferior to the original actors.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:30 pm Its too soon! Its like they started filming this one in the middle of making the first one! Nothings changed. I bet its the same damn story. Or its him recovering on New Years from eye surgery.
Whhhhhaaaaat are you talking about ??????
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A Christmas Story 2.
It's no Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:25 am
Rumpy wrote:Isn't it supposed to take place decades later when they're all grown up? He'd have his own family, but I'm worried they'll mostly play it safe by revisiting things from the original, such as taking the leg lamp out of storage, and making one of his kids wear the bunny outfit, and having the kid want an airsoft gun.
Dear Lord I hope not. That's what happened with A Christmas Story 2. To the point I started counting every time they just repeated a joke from the first movie.
Well, the reason I asked is because they've got some of the original actors, right? They'd be all grown up. In which case, that would give a clue to the possible direction they take with this, with lots of reminiscing about the good old days.

But yeah, as pointed out, this wouldn't be the first sequel. I think there's even another one, but set during the summer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I believe it was called Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Let the laughter begin!

Yeesh, this looks bad. Like I-feel-sorry-for-them bad.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:37 pm Let the laughter begin!

Yeesh, this looks bad. Like I-feel-sorry-for-them bad.
No leg lamp?
I'm out.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, even if they're not showing it, I expect a cameo. If I remember right, I think his mother hated the lamp, so it wouldn't surprise me if she would have given it away to Goodwill or something. "Oh goodness, dearie, I gave that away to Charity when your father passed away." Then you see him heading to that store and seeing it on the shelves all by its lonesome self all covered in dust :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:41 pm If I remember right, I think his mother hated the lamp, so it wouldn't surprise me if she would have given it away to Goodwill or something.
You only remember partly right. She hated the lamp and she may have been the one responsible for it being broken into pieces. I would expect to see a bit of lampshade in a box in the corner of the basement or something.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had no idea there were so many movies about Ralph.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

They'd really have to reach to bring back a lamp that was broken to pieces 40 years ago. I'm betting they find a way though. And I'm relying on you guys to tell me about it because there is no way in hell I'm watching this.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh it looks like what I was expecting. I'll watch it. Drunk...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It looks like lighthearted fun. I'll give it a chance. I'm not expecting it to be great, but for an evening's family amusement it looks fairly harmless. At least it didn't appear they were rehashing the same jokes (just revisiting the same locations). There's absolutely no way it can be worse than A Christmas Story 2 or the live play version they broadcast.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:49 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:41 pm If I remember right, I think his mother hated the lamp, so it wouldn't surprise me if she would have given it away to Goodwill or something.
You only remember partly right. She hated the lamp and she may have been the one responsible for it being broken into pieces. I would expect to see a bit of lampshade in a box in the corner of the basement or something.
Ok, fair enough. I couldn't remember it had broken! Maybe one of the broken pieces becomes an ornament :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:53 pm They'd really have to reach to bring back a lamp that was broken to pieces 40 years ago. I'm betting they find a way though. And I'm relying on you guys to tell me about it because there is no way in hell I'm watching this.
LOL

As much as I have watched and loved the OG, even the trailer for this didn't make me crack a smile, and I'm EASY when it comes to that. If they are highlighting the funniest bits (as is common) in the trailer, this is going to suck.

I guess it's possible that they went in more of a warm and fuzzy direction though, as opposed to just outright hilarity of the first one (which would also suck IMO. :P).

I would be SHOCKED if someone were trying to cash in on the nostalgia of my generation.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:22 pm It looks like lighthearted fun. I'll give it a chance. I'm not expecting it to be great, but for an evening's family amusement it looks fairly harmless. At least it didn't appear they were rehashing the same jokes (just revisiting the same locations). There's absolutely no way it can be worse than A Christmas Story 2 or the live play version they broadcast.
I agree (other than the stuff about ACS2 - never even heard of that). Looks like something to pass the time. I doubt it will be great but I don't think it will be terrible either. One of those movies where if you have nostalgia for the original you'll probably like this fine. Will watch it because we watch ACS every holiday at least a few times (though a fair bit less than Christmas Vacation which we prefer).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The interesting thing about the original one is that I wouldn't have even been aware of it if TBS hadn't been doing a marathon showing each year. And ironically enough, it's not a channel we get any longer. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't necessarily call it an instant classic.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As I recall reading, the original was a total flop when it came out.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:38 pm It's good, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't necessarily call it an instant classic.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:31 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:38 pm It's good, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't necessarily call it an instant classic.
Yeah, I know it's harsh, but I doubt it would have the reputation it does now without those marathons. When I'd seen it all those years ago, it was still a relatively obscure movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:38 pm The interesting thing about the original one is that I wouldn't have even been aware of it if TBS hadn't been doing a marathon showing each year. And ironically enough, it's not a channel we get any longer. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't necessarily call it an instant classic.
This is highly anecdotal.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It was super popular before TBS starting running all day long. I'd say most people got sick of it because of it. I know I generally don't watch it every year as it's been on so much.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yes. TBS didn’t make it popular, they bought it and ran it so much because it was ‘so popular’. And of course, they over did it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I'm not sure why they even do that. Like why not run at least a rolling block of like 3-4 movies? Especially when most people just watch tv on demand at this point. Gone are the days of waiting until 8:00 PM for your favorite show to be on. Now I have like everything I ever wanted at the click of a button and I'm still bored. :P

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Very weird to see Peter Billingsley with hair, since the only adult role I know him in is the bald scientist in Iron Man and Spider-Man.

Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:06 am It was super popular before TBS starting running all day long. I'd say most people got sick of it because of it. I know I generally don't watch it every year as it's been on so much.
This (at least for me personally).

I loved it well before Christmas movie marathons were even a thing, and they definitely piss me off more than endear me to any particular movie (run something into the ground that I love? YAY!). Also, why are these things still around considering physical and online DVR capabilities?! Stop the madness! :P