[movie] Ant-Man: Quantumania

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[movie] Ant-Man: Quantumania

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Re: [movie] Ant-Man: Quantumania

Post by Smoove_B »

*Ant-Man and The Wasp

Definitely in. I really enjoy Paul Rudd as Ant-Man so this is a no brainer. Nice seeing the connection to the Disney+ Loki series as well!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yeah looks great actually
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Release date for those who don't like trailer spoilers?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:11 pm Release date for those who don't like trailer spoilers?
2/17/23
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This trailer / movie screams Guardians of the Galaxy to me. The surrealness and the colors of the world fits them and the music. It all jives so well. And we get Kang the Conqueror.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Unsurprisingly, it looks great! I can't wait. Much more excited for this than Black Panther without Chadwick.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:40 pm This trailer / movie screams Guardians of the Galaxy to me. The surrealness and the colors of the world fits them and the music. It all jives so well. And we get Kang the Conqueror.
Yeah/
It seems to share the same taste/focus on my personal music appeal - but that's just wisdom.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The attractive part of Guardians, for me, is the humor. While I like the humor of the previous ant movies, it was all relatively grounded. The aliens of the quantum realm and the Kang stuff all bores me to tears. Loki is firmly my least favorite MCU series and I wasn't impressed with this trailer. Hopefully, I'll end up being wrong in my initial impressions.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been watching reactions to the trailer. Makes me think of other shrink type movies..The Incredible Shrinking Woman, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Fantastic Voyage, and Innerspace. The tech that film making has advanced to is amazing. It sucks that COVID had ruined it so much. The worlds and effects they can give us are breathtaking.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New trailer!

Blink and you'll miss..
Spoiler:
MODOK!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:49 pm New trailer!

Blink and you'll miss..
Spoiler:
MODOK!
Spoiler:
Twice!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
JCC

Post by JCC »

Reviews are coming out, and early on the critics are not being kind. I tend to like all the MCU stuff more than the critics, especially lately, but it would be nice to get a MCU movie that I thought was awesome. It's been a while, though Spiderman No Way Home was pretty damn great.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They should shoot him through a two slit experiment so he can be two places at once.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

JCC wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:00 pm Reviews are coming out, and early on the critics are not being kind. I tend to like all the MCU stuff more than the critics, especially lately, but it would be nice to get a MCU movie that I thought was awesome. It's been a while, though Spiderman No Way Home was pretty damn great.
I'm always concerned when they put a movie out this time of the year...they tend to not live up to expectations. If they think it's great, they'll release around Nov/Dec or summer time frame
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:57 pm They should shoot him through a two slit experiment so he can be two places at once.
Y’know, there’s a joke in there somewhere! But not for this crowd.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JCC

Post by JCC »

#budgetCuts
Black Lives Matter

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Watched it with my daughter which had no interest in Ant-Man movies. After watching it, she told me this is now her second favorite movie this year after Avatar 2.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:31 am Watched it with my daughter which had no interest in Ant-Man movies. After watching it, she told me this is now her second favorite movie this year after Avatar 2.
Mrs Kub and I love the Ant-Man movies - Michael Pena steals the show in every scene he's in. I kind of want to see a montage of him explaining/being explained the Multiverse. We'll probably go this weekend.

Does anyone know if you should have seen Wakanda Forever first? We've had it on the Disney+ queue but haven't gotten to it yet. We've seen Loki and the rest of the Marvel Serieses, etc, just not Black Panther 2 yet.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:14 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:31 am Watched it with my daughter which had no interest in Ant-Man movies. After watching it, she told me this is now her second favorite movie this year after Avatar 2.
Mrs Kub and I love the Ant-Man movies - Michael Pena steals the show in every scene he's in. I kind of want to see a montage of him explaining/being explained the Multiverse. We'll probably go this weekend.

Does anyone know if you should have seen Wakanda Forever first? We've had it on the Disney+ queue but haven't gotten to it yet. We've seen Loki and the rest of the Marvel Serieses, etc, just not Black Panther 2 yet.
I highly doubt it.
BP2 was pretty self contained and there was nothing I can think of that would tie it to Ant-Man in any way.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:27 pm

I highly doubt it.
BP2 was pretty self contained and there was nothing I can think of that would tie it to Ant-Man in any way.
Thanks.

disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm pretty sure that the most important thing to see before Quantumania is Loki. I rewatched the final episode last night with my son who had never seen it and was quickly reminded just how important the events of the final episode are to the coming story.

I'll be sitting in my theater seat in 45 minutes and can report back in a few hours!
Victoria Raverna

No. I think you need to watch Ant-Man 2 and Avengers: Endgame before this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All these having to see this movie and that movie before another movie is throwing me off these days when it isn't actually the same movie progression like sequels and trilogies. If I need to go back and see a movie 3 over that way and four down in another franchise with different actors and characters it aint really gonna happen that I see the new movie at all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's not that complicated. For the purposes of what to watch, just think of them all as sequels in a single series. And there is really only one franchise ("MCU".)

It just happens that different sequels focus on different characters. Think about the Predator films. Same thing, just with more connections to each other.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

JCC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:51 pm#budgetCuts
Yep, Disney + is losing money, and if they are losing money, you can imagine how bad things are going for other services. We have been spoiled, some services are going to fail, others will introduce ads, and all of the will cut back programming. It will be interesting to see how consumers react.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

disarm wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:45 pm I'm pretty sure that the most important thing to see before Quantumania is Loki. I rewatched the final episode last night with my son who had never seen it and was quickly reminded just how important the events of the final episode are to the coming story.

I'll be sitting in my theater seat in 45 minutes and can report back in a few hours!
And???
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
disarm

Post by disarm »

Sorry, forgot to come back with impressions...

Took my 9yo son who has seen most of the MCU movies and we both really enjoyed it. If the smaller stakes and humor are what you enjoyed about the previous two movies, I wouldn't say it's quite as good, but it's still a lot of fun. I think Quantumania suffers a little bit because it is a higher stakes story meant to set up Phase 5 of the MCU with Kang. My son started watching the first Ant-Man again today, and while 3 is visually impressive and does have some good humor, it just doesn't have the same lighthearted feel or creativity in the way they use the power of Pym particles.

Quantumania isn't a bad movie by any means. It's a really great introduction the dangers of Kang, and clearly sets up big things to come, but it's not my favorite of the Ant-Man series. Jonathan Majors has shown himself to be a great choice for Kang, playing two very different versions between this movie and Loki, and I can't wait to see where he goes next.

As for what to watch before Quantumania, I would say the previous Ant-Man movies (especially 2) and the Loki series are the only MCU stories that really tie in. If you don't have time to watch all of Loki (great series that I highly recommend), just read the spoilers I'm putting below, then watch the final episode. There are small references to events in other movies, but they're not anything important.

Regarding Loki...
Spoiler:
In the Loki series, Loki winds up meeting and working with the Time Variance Authority (TVA), an organization that can travel through time to influence events in order to keep humanity progressing along the 'Sacred Timeline.' When someone does something that the Timekeepers (creators/leaders of the TVA) deem to be detrimental to the future of the universe, the TVA travels back and takes action to undo the damage. Things happen that make Loki question the TVAs real goal, and he winds up working with an alternate timeline version of himself (who happens to be a woman named Sylvie) to find out the real truth. Loki and Sylvie eventually make it to the Citadel at the End of Time where they meet He Who Remains, the true creator of TVA. He Who Remains is actually Kang, who then reveals to Loki and Sylvie his backstory, the true goal of the TVA, and explains what he sees as the biggest threat to the multiverse. This sets the stage for meeting Kang again in Quantumania and gives a pretty good suggestion for where MCU Phase 5 is headed.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

It feels more and more like the Marvel movies are more about visual spectacle than real character development. I am open to the idea that it's just me, but not enjoying them much for awhile now. I'm not burned out; I was eagerly looking forward to this. But another that just seems like icing, no cake.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freyland wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:34 pm It feels more and more like the Marvel movies are more about visual spectacle than real character development. I am open to the idea that it's just me
It’s not.

Some do a good job, but most are just reusing the same plot or character arc of previous films. I think I’m burned out at this point. I’m not rushing to see this in a theater, and the last 3 Marvel films I just waited for it to show up on Disney Plus. That’s unheard of for me. I used to look forward to each entry in the franchise.

I like the offbeat superhero stuff that take a chance and break some rules. Shows like Legion, Doom Patrol, and The Boys.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

I think if you like Guardian of the Galaxy, you're going to like Ant-Man 3. If you prefer Ant-Man 1 over Guardian of the Galaxy, maybe you'll not like Ant-Man 3.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:53 pm
JCC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:51 pm#budgetCuts
Yep, Disney + is losing money, and if they are losing money, you can imagine how bad things are going for other services. We have been spoiled, some services are going to fail, others will introduce ads, and all of the will cut back programming. It will be interesting to see how consumers react.
I saw Bob Iger talking about this. His take is that a few years back Wall Street valued these companies by subscriber growth. Iger's way of driving sub growth was a low price and focus on producing content. Since then, the street has moved to evaluating streaming services by their ability to make a profit from the subscribers. Disney's response has been raising prices and driving efficiency. That is probably going to be theme of 2023-2024. He also claims his business plan before leaving and returning always had Disney+ getting to profitability in 2025.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:32 am If you prefer Ant-Man 1 over Guardian of the Galaxy
Does this person exist?
JCC

Post by JCC »

Grifman wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:53 pm Yep, Disney + is losing money, and if they are losing money, you can imagine how bad things are going for other services. We have been spoiled, some services are going to fail, others will introduce ads, and all of the will cut back programming. It will be interesting to see how consumers react.
Netflix is currently the only streaming service making money.

This article discusses this. Disney actually declared the highest losses. Though, the article points out that all the services report their earnings/losses differently. The bottom line is the prices are likely to go up and the content production will probably be reduced. (ie. Feige announcing fewer Marvel shows being made.) There are too many of these services now, and I assume some are going to go bust. It's also frustrating how things come and go from one service to others or just stop being on any streaming service.
Black Lives Matter

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We saw this tonight, and everyone loved it.

It doesn’t get as creative with the shrinking and growing powers as the two previous movies do, but there’s no real place for that in the story they are telling.

Unless you’re burned out on Marvel movies, I think this is a fun movie and much better than the reviews suggest.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I had a good time at Quantumania. It's not a revelation like the best Marvel movies are, but it's a fun night at the movies.

It probably helped that my expectations were tempered by the lack of buzz. I was expecting a bland CGI-fest, and instead I got a sci-fi romp that was surprisingly light on its feet (and also a CGI-fest).
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm slogging my through the Marvel movies with my oldest boys. They were too young to see them in the theaters, so I have seen all of these before and am watching them again. Tonight we watched Civil War. It's a fine Marvel movie, but not one I enjoyed watching a second time.

To get to this point I had to skip the first Ant Man movie. It's not necessary viewing to understand the next films. I just puased it when he came on and said, "he can change his size."

I'm going to do the same thing with Captain Marvel. No way I'm sitting through that one again.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(He says about two of the ones I enjoyed the most.) :wink:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

While I personally have a bit of MCU fatigue, the Ant-Man franchise has been a household fave here.

I loved both of the first two movies, much preferred the OG, so a bit sad, but not surprised to see this one get 54% RT (84% and 87% for the first two).

Hopefully it punches a bit above that. Will at least give it a shot when it hits D+, even though it goes against my ‘nothing below 75-ish% RT!’ :D
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.