2022 Midterm Election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: 2022 Midterm Election

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:09 am Likely a McCarthy led House…ugh. May he never get any kind of decent R coalition to vote in lockstep.
I don't see your with coming true. Elected R's get in line and don't deviate. Maybe just maybe Trumpublicans will break that reality but I don't see it. McCarthy's House will go after Biden worse than the last House went after Trump but with even less than they had when Nunes as their insane mouthpiece attacking Obama.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Because the margin may be razor thin the worst outcome - a BS impeachment of Biden - might be off the table but it'll almost certainly be worse and more megaphoned by the negligent media than ever before.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The first gate today for McCarthy is getting the Republican nomination. That's seems relatively certain. The real fight comes when the new Congress is seated and the full vote for Speaker has to be decided. MAGAts and "centrists" might battle it out in advance of that.
Today, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) faces a vote from fellow Republicans for the party’s nomination for speaker as the GOP appears to be on the cusp of winning control of the House in the next Congress. McCarthy is being challenged by Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) but is expected to survive. The real test will be in January, when McCarthy must win a majority vote of the full House, which could require offering concessions to disaffected Republicans. Control of the House has yet to be formally called, but Democratic hopes of staying in power have dwindled.

Later Tuesday, former president Donald Trump is expected to announce a 2024 White House bid in Palm Beach, Fla., even as many in his party blame him for a weaker-than-expected Republican showing in the midterms. President Biden remains in Indonesia for the Group of 20 summit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My news feed this morning says the GOP is one seat away from House control.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Maybe barrier or challenge would be a better term than "gate"?

Here I was, all excited for the first major McCarthyGate scandal. :P :wink:

Also, looking further down that page, it looks like he unsuccessfully attempted to persuade a moderate Democrat to switch parties

I'll also say that if there is real irreconcilable differences between the wings of the Republican party in attempting to decide who should be speaker, they could remove the rule that requires that the speaker have majority votes and just go with the plurality (it's happened at least a couple of times in the past, although at those times, no party had a majority of seats because of third parties). Of course, going with a plurality would risk the possibility that Democrats would manage to win the speakership, so I doubt that will happen, but it's fun to dream.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:03 pm My news feed this morning says the GOP is one seat away from House control.
It's funny, because if you offered me these election results before the election, I would've jumped on them in a heartbeat. But now that they're here I can't help but feel frustrated that the House was in reach but we fell just short, in part because of Democratic Party screw ups (though to be fair we're probably only close because of Republican Party screw ups).
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

House control would be nice just to keep the circus away from town for a little longer. But if there was one thing this mid-term is confirming, it is that the relatively high turnout on all sides has substantiated the idea that we're extremely polarized and the 'persuadable' majority is getting thinner. Luckily no one seems to care enough about mid-terms to make an issue of all the election denying but it does cast gloom over 2024. When it involves a Presidential election will people accept the results? Especially if it involves Trump and he loses again? We'll see pretty quickly I imagine how much the Republican majority will use the House to whip up fervor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

(Sort of) related (maybe) is the recognition in one of my local papers that politics were quite influential in local school board elections. More specifically, they were able to trace donations from individuals and organizations tied to the GOP in support of school board candidates that were pushing agendas related to "parent's rights" concerning sexual health education, "woke" curriculum corrections, masks, etc...

I think their conclusion was that even though local school board elections are non-partisan, the candidates were using language designed to communicate through the thinnest of veils possible exactly where they stood. I know there's been a lot of discussion about how the GOP has been targeting school boards, planning boards, town committees, etc.... as a way to force administrative changes and it was nice to see the local news media at least pointing it out. I can only assume they'll be bought and sold by 2024, only pumping out GOP approved messages by then.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

My state legislative district flipped our senator blue, so now every elected official of mine from the most local all the way up is blue. I don't know if that's ever been the case.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Why in the world hasn't Boebert been called yet? It's been at 99% for days.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:58 pm Why in the world hasn't Boebert been called yet? It's been at 99% for days.
Close enough that ballot curing matters.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe I'm confusing races, but I want to say they are going through all election day post-marked ballots and all military/absentee ballots and they anticipated that would take 7+ additional days?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:58 pm Why in the world hasn't Boebert been called yet? It's been at 99% for days.
It's still very close and the deadline for ballots to come in from overseas is tomorrow. The expected finish is end of the week.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

And Republicans officially win the House.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So their majority will be 1-5 seats. Enough to stir up a lot of trouble, but not to drive policy. They are less united than ever, thanks to Florida Man's refusal to go away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Does the vote for Speaker involve the whole House, or is it just within the majority party?

If the former, how hard would it be for Dems to join 2 or 3 moderate Republicans in electing a somewhat moderate Speaker?

(I know, I'm fantasizing about a functional representative government.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Kraken wrote:So their majority will be 1-5 seats. Enough to stir up a lot of trouble, but not to drive policy.
And yet I'm sure they'll act like that majority will be a mandate from God and every American to tear this nation away from Satan's fiery claws and back into the loving world Jesus intended: white, straight, missionary-position only sex with your homemaking wife to produce little God-fearing white babies.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:05 pm Does the vote for Speaker involve the whole House, or is it just within the majority party?

If the former, how hard would it be for Dems to join 2 or 3 moderate Republicans in electing a somewhat moderate Speaker?

It's just the majority party, that's why there's also a minority speaker.
FTE
Holman

Post by Holman »

Scraper wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:12 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:05 pm Does the vote for Speaker involve the whole House, or is it just within the majority party?

It's just the majority party, that's why there's also a minority speaker.
Thanks.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So people can see the picture they removed:
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:23 pm So people can see the picture they removed:
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Is there a larger version of the original picture?
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:23 pm So people can see the picture they removed:
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Again, this is a standard alt-right meme format. They've done it many times before.

Antisemites will recognize it right away and enjoy when the rest of us don't.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

IIUC, typically each party votes within their party to choose a nominee, and then each party puts forward a nominee and votes for the Speaker. The speaker needs to receive a majority of those who vote.

In theory, A few moderate Republicans could vote for a moderate Democratic speaker, but would most likely get severely punished by the Republican party if they did that (stuff like loss of committee seats, the party would help their opponents in the primary, etc)

There was one occasion (sometime in the 1800s) when the party with the most seats didn't get the Speakership, but in that congress there were a few third party Representatives and enough of them voted for the second biggest party's candidate to give them a majority vote. And there were a few times when the rule that required a majority vote was suspended and instead it was given to the plurality, but I don't see that happening now because it would risk the Democrats being able to elect someone with just their votes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:31 pm

IIUC, typically each party votes within their party to choose a nominee, and then each party puts forward a nominee and votes for the Speaker. The speaker needs to receive a majority of those who vote.

In theory, A few moderate Republicans could vote for a moderate Democratic speaker, but would most likely get severely punished by the Republican party if they did that (stuff like loss of committee seats, the party would help their opponents in the primary, etc)

There was one occasion (sometime in the 1800s) when the party with the most seats didn't get the Speakership, but in that congress there were a few third party Representatives and enough of them voted for the second biggest party's candidate to give them a majority vote. And there were a few times when the rule that required a majority vote was suspended and instead it was given to the plurality, but I don't see that happening now because it would risk the Democrats being able to elect someone with just their votes.
What would happen if Democrats put forward a non-MAGA Republican representative for Speaker who then had the support of all the Democrats and a handful of non-MAGA Republicans?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:29 pm

What would happen if Democrats put forward a non-MAGA Republican representative for Speaker who then had the support of all the Democrats and a handful of non-MAGA Republicans?
I still think the handful of non-MAGA Republican's would be punished for that, even if it's a Republican speaker. The rest of the party will be pissed off at them for the move (presumably that Republican speaker would be less popular with Republicans than the one the party nominated), and it would be awful for party discipline, so I think it's highly unlikely.

Still, if tensions within the Republican party are high enough, maybe it's remotely possible? We've seen moderate politicians switch parties before, for example. Or I could see the possibility for the non-MAGA Republicans using their leverage (their vote) to try to push for a more moderate Speaker, overplay their hand and get called for bluffing and it turns out they're not bluffing? Again, I think it's highly unlikely, but it certainly would be an entertaining possibility.

:pop:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Preview of the next two years...

malchior

Post by malchior »

The next two years are going to be chaotic. The "investigations" list is long. I quote that word because it'll be mostly be 'show trials' about building street cred for conspiracy theories and further tearing down trust in the federal government.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Katie Porter's race still hasn't been called. She looks safe, but I'd sure hate to see her not return.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

malchior wrote:[The next two years are going to be chaotic. The "investigations" list is long. I quote that word because it'll be mostly be 'show trials' about building street cred for conspiracy theories and further tearing down trust in the federal government.
I have a feeling those investigations are only going to hurt the GOP. It seems like people are kind of fed up with the conspiracies at this point.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My laptop is real, too!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:09 pm
malchior wrote:[The next two years are going to be chaotic. The "investigations" list is long. I quote that word because it'll be mostly be 'show trials' about building street cred for conspiracy theories and further tearing down trust in the federal government.
I have a feeling those investigations are only going to hurt the GOP. It seems like people are kind of fed up with the conspiracies at this point.
My co-workers were talking about how at least now they will investigate Hunter. I just don't talk to them anymore as obviously they just drink the Tucker juice all day and night. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:09 pm
The trouble is that we just saw that a strong 48-50% of the population who voted isn't fed up with it. Media narratives aside we've still got deep, intractable problems.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:11 pm My laptop is real, too!
No shit. Are we at the point where his laptop has reached mythical status or something? Religious icon? I guess "his laptop" is the new "her emails".
Fun.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:56 pm Preview of the next two years...

:lol: That totally reads like parody post by some sort of ghost chaser. Or like there will be cake. Of course, Musk informs me if the GOP were a really the joke they make themselves to be then they'd have to the word parody in their name.

I imagine all the faithful are all

Enlarge Image
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Lots of money and muscle lining up to defend against proposed House investigations:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/us/p ... biden.html
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I, for one, look forward to finally learning the truth about Benghazi.

I suppose the GOP will try to turn the Afghanistan defeat into Biden's Benghazi.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:56 pm
I mean, I have to admit that I always thought that Hunter Biden may actually have owned a laptop.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

It's nice that they're going to be prioritizing an issue that was the *checks notes* 17th most important issue to voters going into the midterms

(Smoove, you may want to look away, as I don't think you want to know what the only issue that fell below investigating Biden was)
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
malchior

Post by malchior »