2022 Midterm Election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: 2022 Midterm Election

Post by Blackhawk »

People who voted to save democracy from the being overthrown and ruin the Evil Plan for World Domination mostly succeeded.

For now.

And that's my fear. We're still in danger, but I worry that the sense of relief that came from the Red Drip will put people off of their guard in two years, will lessen the intensity, the urgency, and will result in fewer voters.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:42 pm People who voted to save democracy from the being overthrown and ruin the Evil Plan for World Domination mostly succeeded.
I just want to narrow in on this because it was apparently people under the age of 30 that counteracted the GOP votes from the Boomers and a significant number of Gen Xers (that apparently are pro-fascist). I've been trying to grapple with this for the last few days - the idea that so many in my (our?) generation are awful people (politically) and it's been a little rough.

Regardless, whatever was done to electrify the <30 crowd needs to continue - assuming it wasn't entirely the shitty behavior of the GOP and hopefully something inspiring from various Democrats nationwide.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:42 pm People who voted to save democracy from the being overthrown and ruin the Evil Plan for World Domination mostly succeeded.

For now.

And that's my fear. We're still in danger, but I worry that the sense of relief that came from the Red Drip will put people off of their guard in two years, will lessen the intensity, the urgency, and will result in fewer voters.
Which is why bizarrely a Florida Man nomination (or third party run) will bring out the FOFM* vote.

Spoiler:
Do I need to spell it out?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:18 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:10 pm I'm not sure any of them have seen examples of Trumpism working. He lost his re-election. He's under criminal investigation. His candidates have been dropping like flies. None of his attempts at overturning election results have worked. His insurrection only resulted in hundreds of people being arrested. In the end, what has he actually gotten away with other than start a political movement that has failed spectacularly so far?
Maybe it's not what he got away with, but what he showed to future Trumps (what NOT to do, but THESE things are weak and exploitable in the system...poke HERE, but not THERE to get shit done). The biggest, material thing he did was JUDGES, but that was not his doing, really. The Federalist Society picked the overtly partisan turds they wanted him to nom, and Bob's your uncle/: welcome douchey entitled Frat Boy and the reincarnation of Phyllis Schlaffley to the SC.
This is the key. For all the visible losing Trump's done, he succeeded in delivering a large shift in the courts that will remain for decades to come.

And yeah, we can laugh at how these hosers are conceding rather than continuing to election-deny, but the blueprint is now clear, and the scaffolding is in place. Count on a more competent turdburgler taking advantage in the future.

Partial wins this election cycle aside, we remain a deeply unserious nation and we will continue to reap the rewards of that. The Dems had the trifecta for the past two years and failed to act.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One interesting possibility is that if Trump leaves such an awful taste on the GOP and non-MAGA GOP voters, DeSantis may not be electable, either. He's the same pile of crap in a slightly different shade of brown. He rose to prominence by reminding people of Trump, but that may work against him on the national stage.

Like said, though - it's a possibility, and there are way too many variables out there.

I'm still wondering if the GOP, after the rebuke of the Red Trickle, will throw Trump under the bus (IE - stop protecting him) just to get him off of their backs and out of the running. They'd lose part of the MAGA vote, but a renegade Trump will do that to them anyway, and take some non-MAGA, uninformed voters with him. They could decide to take the long view (something that they're sometimes good at doing) and decide that taking the hit now is better than letting him do more damage, and a disqualification from holding office could be the easiest way for them to achieve that - they don't need to do anything, as their opponents are already working on something that could result in that ("We won't stand in your way, as long as you make include the charge of Inciting to Insurrection.")
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's hard to predict how any of this will go down, but it's going to be a spectacle.

Trump has no commitments to anyone but himself. He chooses his enemies based on the degree to which they say bad things about him or get in his way.

Insulting and blaming Democrats was natural when he was in the White House because they thwarted some of his plans and provided a scapegoat for his failures.

Now that elements in the GOP might be turning on him, though, we're going to see what real hatred looks like. If his former allies and sycophants take sides against him, that will be a much more direct threat to his ambitions than anything Nancy Pelosi ever said or did.

It's going to get nasty. And the nastier it gets, the more attractive he will remain to a base that has been primed to see hatred as a virtue.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dfs

Post by dfs »

In 1962 Richard Nixon held his "last press conference" where he told reporters "You don't have Nixon to kick around anymore." Of course in 68 he was elected president.

I've seen the republican party declared dead so many times that I won't believe it till a stake has been driven through their heart. Fox News ratings will dip and the narrative will shift and as soon as you can say "I am not a crook" Trump will be the 2024 nominee.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think the only real questions are whether DeSantis challenges Trump, and if he does whether he can win. If DeSantis doesn't, or if he tries and fails, then the GOP will fall into line behind Trump just like they always have.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Reminds me of after Nixon left office in disgrace and I saw a bumper sticker: I'M STILL FOR NIXON.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

dfs wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:37 pm In 1962 Richard Nixon held his "last press conference" where he told reporters "You don't have Nixon to kick around anymore." Of course in 68 he was elected president.

I've seen the republican party declared dead so many times that I won't believe it till a stake has been driven through their heart. Fox News ratings will dip and the narrative will shift and as soon as you can say "I am not a crook" Trump will be the 2024 nominee.
Of course a lot happened during the 1960s to strip down and then reconstitute both parties. By 1968, the Eisenhower GOP of 1962 really was all but extinct, replaced by a new party of the same name.

The GOP survives its death notices, but it always comes back worse.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The GOP isn't dead. But the modern GOP is having a major identity crisis that will determine how relevant they are for the next couple of decades.

If they can reverse course away from fear/hate and anti-reality, then I'll be glad to have them back.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, the fact of unending political campaigning means that some members of Congress spend lots of time out-of-the-office. It'll be interesting to see what happens if the next two years are critically all-hands-on-deck.

Of course if the GOP has the majority, can't their Speaker just refuse to bring anything up for a vote?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Vacancies aren't absences

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Honorable. I dont like seeing that word attached to politicians.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Of course.

These are the same people who sat near drop boxes with guns and masks, right?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Can the House change its rules to allow vote-from-home?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Doug Mastrianio has finally issued a statement conceding the PA Gov race (called a couple of days ago) to Josh Shapiro.

It's whiny and petulant, but it does concede.

Spoiler:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:54 pm This is the key. For all the visible losing Trump's done, he succeeded in delivering a large shift in the courts that will remain for decades to come.

And yeah, we can laugh at how these hosers are conceding rather than continuing to election-deny, but the blueprint is now clear, and the scaffolding is in place. Count on a more competent turdburgler taking advantage in the future.

Partial wins this election cycle aside, we remain a deeply unserious nation and we will continue to reap the rewards of that. The Dems had the trifecta for the past two years and failed to act.
As badly as we've governed in my state for so so long, the collecting of signatures and bypassing legislature to bring important votes to the people has been huge. That is what the Dems have done correctly here and hopefully it can be a blueprint for the nation. It continues to do positive things for voting. It saved RvW. it's improved both our state and federal level representation. it's motivated people to vote. The courts, exec, and legislature have a big hurdle to jump to deny the vote of the people. (though the state GOP and out of state influencers try and try)

It's been very rare that I've been proud of my state, but 18, 20, and 22. We've come through at election time.
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:23 pm If they can reverse course away from fear/hate and anti-reality, then I'll be glad to have them back.
We need functioning diversity of opinion and not to be a single party state like Russia and China. I just can't see when I will accept that second party after what they've become and how long it's been coming.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:45 pm Doug Mastrianio has finally issued a statement conceding the PA Gov race (called a couple of days ago) to Josh Shapiro.

It's whiny and petulant, but it does concede.

Spoiler:
Better than I would have expected, frankly.

Also...his wife's name is "Rebbie"?
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:02 pm Better than I would have expected, frankly.

Also...his wife's name is "Rebbie"?
Per Wikipedia, his wife's name is Rebecca.

My wife is also a Rebecca, and "Rebbie" is the only nickname I can imagine her hating more than "Becky."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What we need is a law stating a politician caught spouting a lie is punishable by death.

It's the only way.
Black Lives Matter
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

I posted my take of where we were a few hours ago:

A couple of races have been called since then, narrowing the Democratic path, as tracked in my spreadsheet here:

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Certainly looking like it'll be called for Hobbs soon.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:36 pm Certainly looking like it'll be called for Hobbs soon.
It's now called for Hobbs.

May we never see Kari Lake's softly filtered face again.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:55 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:36 pm Certainly looking like it'll be called for Hobbs soon.

Lol... I'm sure we will be seeing plenty of her in the next few days. There's probably a seat for her at Fox.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

She’s trying to figure how to respond - concede or go nuts:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/election ... e-results/
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:19 pm

She’s trying to figure how to respond - concede or go nuts:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/election ... e-results/
hmmm, I wonder which one she'll choose.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hannity had a bit of a crybaby moment when the Hobbs news came down. I'm sure video is coming soon but he essentially whined that Hobbs should have recused herself as Secretary of State. I wonder if he said the same about Kemp in 2018 in GA. I think we know the answer to that.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Time wrote:The secretary of state’s office does not conduct elections. Each of Arizona’s 15 counties conduct their own elections and submit the results to the secretary of state. But Hobbs’ office is tasked with canvassing and certifying the results that each county submits.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heh.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-e ... -rcna57136

All the grifters see more grift...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30 pm
They sure do.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Liz Cheney’s revenge:

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Grifman wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:58 am
malchior wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30 pm
They sure do.
But BARELY.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So it looks like Senate flips D and House flips R. Kinda curious how the dynamics will change in the current environment.

Manchin and to a lesser extent Sinema were such outsized pieces of the calculations, and Mitch of course. But now?

Likely a McCarthy led House…ugh. May he never get any kind of decent R coalition to vote in lockstep.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:09 am So it looks like Senate flips D and House flips R. Kinda curious how the dynamics will change in the current environment.

Manchin and to a lesser extent Sinema were such outsized pieces of the calculations, and Mitch of course. But now?
Manchin and Sinema remain shadow policy Presidents though you can get by winning one over. They also get all committee chairmanships if Warnock wins which would be helpful to stop a pipeline of House to Senate wall-to-wall investigation nonsense.

But it also won't matter policy-wise because the House won't play ball. I'm not expecting any Bill Clinton-esque reach across the aisle action here. That GOP is long dead - especially in the house 1/3 full of flat out MAGAts.
Likely a McCarthy led House…ugh. May he never get any kind of decent R coalition to vote in lockstep.
It's a real question if it'll be McCarthy. He needed a bigger majority to edge out the worst of the worst MAGAts. McCarthy went and kissed the ring but after he fought back a little. It might come down to who does Trump back for Speaker as a show of influence. Guesses for alternatives include Stefanik or some other clever borderline MAGAt who can get enough votes from establishment and MAGAt members.